Julie Plec Reveals Crossover Plans for ‘The Originals’ and ‘Vampire Diaries,’ Talks Future of ‘TVD’

Vampire Diaries The Originals
Courtesy of the CW

The CW will host a crossover between “The Vampire Diaries” and “The Originals” this season, which was revealed Sunday morning by the network’s president Mark Pedowitz at the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena, Calif.

Soon after Pedowitz announced the crossoverVariety spoke with the shows’ creator Julie Plec about the specific storyline that will occur during the crossover episodes.

“I’ve wanted to do this for a really long time and find a way to do it that didn’t feel like we were jamming story for the sake of cross-pollinating the shows,” Plec told Variety at TCA.

She continued: “So we’re sitting in the room, and the plot point is that Stefan (Paul Wesley) is in trouble and he’s being pursued by means of magic so how can we get him safe? Well, let’s get him to a place where there’s no magic. And I was like, ‘Oh sh-t! St. James Infirmary! There’s a place where there’s no magic that can work in New Orleans!’ And the whole writer’s room just went, “Yay! Finally!” because they’ve been waiting so long for that opportunity.”

The crossover will span over two separate episodes, one for each of the shows — both in episode no. 14 of the respective series.

“Stefan will go to New Orleans in a ‘Vampire Diaries’ episode and then he will remain in New Orleans in ‘The Originals’ to help Klaus (Joseph Morgan) deal with a problem that is super specific to Stefan’s survival,” Plec explained.

As for any other characters who may be involved in the crossover? “There is a presence of Caroline (Candice King) buried within that, but I can’t really say in what context.”

As for the future of “The Vampire Diaries,” which had its first run without star Nina Dobrev this season, Plec says she potentially sees a long road ahead.

“My end game needs to, in my opinion, emotionally run parallel with the end game of Paul and Ian (Somehalder) — more so than the network and the studio,” Plec said. “When those boys decide that they’re done telling stories — which could be tomorrow and could be a year from now or two years from now or whatever — I need to be done. I feel like I owe them that and I owe the show that. It’s a collective decision. Right now, they’re in the driver’s seat of that and we’ll see how much longer they feel like they want to be doing this.”

When asked if she can see “Vampire Diaries” continuing for seasons to come, Plec confirmed yes, saying: “Yeah, absolutely. Every year we’re like, ‘We’ll never figure out what next year is going to be!’ And then we come up with an idea that’s cooler. It gets harder and harder so there will come a point where I’ll have to say I have zero ideas left, but right now, I still feel pretty inspired by it so I’m just taking it one day at a time.”

Speaking to her view on the series without Dobrev, Plec explains that she would welcome her former star back at any time, but has felt a creative revival with the show’s new direction.

“On an emotional level, it’s sad because she’s Nina and she was Elena and we all love her and loved that character, but on a creative level, it’s been refreshing in ways that I cannot even explain,” Plec explained. “To be able to sit and not have to break a story from the point of view of, how does this advance the love triangle this week? It just feels good to be able to tell the story about two brothers who are more bonded and, as such, at odds more than ever before, and you’re writing this terrific relationship piece now about these two guys, and it’s just been so fun to write this year. The writers, we’re just enjoying the hell out of it. Yes, I miss her deeply and would take her back in an instant if she called and said, ‘Hey, can I come back and play?’ But purely from a creative point of view, it’s been a real new infusion of creative fun.”

At TCA, Pedowitz told reporters that there have been no decisions made of “Vampire Diaries'” future, but he’s optimistic. “Hopefully, as long as possible,” he said when asked how long the series could continue. “We are hopeful that the show in its move to Friday continues what it does do really great with ‘The Originals’ also– they triple their numbers in Live +7 consistently so there’s a lot of delayed viewing on the show. So if it continues and we see the performance that we’ve been seeing, hopefully it gets a renewal.”

1. That. Was. Insane. The Feb. 19 episode of ‘The Vampire Diaries’ was thrilling from beginning to end. Stefan went to desperate lengths to save both Damon AND Caroline. #DamonSalvatore #VampireDiaries #DamonSalvatorejacket

2. Cassie says:

I have said it a hundred times, I will say it a hundred more. If they get rid of the Klamille romance on TO I would watch it again. I love Klaus and I was enjoying figuring out the profecy storyline. Lucien was a welcomed addition to the show but the have made this season all about Klamille and I just had to stop watching after like 3 episodes. I can’t watch a TV show I have to fast forward most of it to get through it. Sorry guys. CW has some great actors on TO and Joseph Morgan has been stuck with a B plot storyline for most of the season. He wasn’t even in then same scene as Hope for the big “family” Christmas episode.

3. Raquel says:

I only care about Klaroline and The Originals. And I think that Klaroline COULD rise both shows ! Really!

4. Robert says:

Hallie says:they really must be desperate for ratings if they are doing a crossover, I don’t think so, both shows are tied together and all these Characters all started on TVD so having an occasional Cross over is foreseeable. Just take a look at how many cross overs have been nicely done with the Flash and Arrow It would be nice if TVD/Originals did that. As for both shows being moved to Friday’s I think it going to be a really bad idea and Mark Pedowitz knows that he just does not give a shit that’s why so many shows on CW gets cancelled. My only hope is that Mark Pedowitz is not so much of a dick that when he does cancel either show he will allow them to finish the shows with a finale that ends the shows on a proper note, Networks including the CW love to cancel a show during the summer time and the shows don’t continue but the fans are all left with only a season finale that has such a cliff hanger over everyone’s head and we NEVER get that real ending to the whole story. I think that Nina would return for the shows finale so long as she does not still have her head up her ass like i was was shoe chose to leave thinking she’s going to be this big movie star…hows that working out by the way.

5. Ratonya Davis says:

I absolutely love both shows, and look forward to seeing what the New season will bring.

6. Ratonya Davis says:

I absolutely love both shows, and look forward to seeing what e New season will bring.

7. Hallie says:

Lol they really must be desperate for ratings if they are doing a crossover they said they wouldn’t do, trying to suck the korolina fans in by dropping Caroline’s name ( which they get enoyed when brought up by fans) so they watch it and not answering questions and blaming it on Paul and Ian if the show doesn’t return

8. Molly says:

Klaroline is coming! YEY! Finally!

9. She Candiid says:

I feel exactly where Plec is coming from the show didn’t and shouldn’t have been just based around Nina and now it’s good to see a different viewpoint, ppl just overall dumb as fuck and need to grow up to think just one character made the show, and to think the Plec as to kiss Nina ass, honestly I was over the whole love triangle shit, that’s high school.

10. Emily says:

I absolutely despise this woman. Nina gave 6 years of her life to this show just as she promised she would, but this disgusting pig of a woman has decided that those 6 years weren’t enough and now she goes out of her way to disrespect both the actress and character, as well as all of her fans. Once again a female’s story has been pulverized and destroyed to favor the male cast members. I hope this horribly untalented woman is proud of the message she’s sending her young viewers. Men are always more important than women, they are the characters that matter most even if it isn’t their show and the actors that play them are more important than anything including loyal fans. This honestly makes me want to throw up. Ian and Paul are both untalented hacks and this show is all they have left, but all they do is complain about it and whine about how much they hate their lives, and yet they are her first priority? These men, who do nothing but disrespect everyone in their path and act like they’re somehow superior to the rest of the world because they’ve managed to keep their jobs on a terrible television series, are her first priority? These men who think that joking about rape is funny, who refer to female characters as sluts, who have done nothing of any substance once in their miserable little lives are what matters most to this woman? I don’t even know how to respond to that. Also, The Vampire Diaries is a book series that Kevin Williamson decided to adapt, she was merely the person he asked to join him, and he actually wanted to tell a good story, but when he left to continue his career (because he actually has one and she doesn’t) she completely destroyed the entire series so please stop giving her so much credit. This show shouldn’t even be running anymore. Shame on you, Variety, for writing this article and giving this disgusting sexist pig of a woman any attention at all. I thought your standards were higher than this, but I guess I was wrong.

11. theonlyandoneme says:

Julie Plec is full of sh*t… So she didn’t owe the fans who’s been supportive since ever, she didnt owe Nina, who was the first to be casted, played not only one but four characters throught the six years her contract lasted and was the main leader of the show. If the show was about the brothers why give so damn credit to the herects, who is an abomination to the mythology of the show. No, Nina depature didnt change anything on the shitty plots. There are still love triangles and lack of respect to the remaining female leaders. Im so done with thia woman.