‘The Good Wife’ to End After Current Season

The Good Wife
Courtesy of CBS

The current season of “The Good Wife” is officially its last, CBS announced via a Super Bowl promo spot on Sunday.

The Emmy-winning drama series starring Julianna Margulies has nine episodes to go in its seventh season. CBS announced the May 8 series finale with a promo spot that aired during the network’s telecast of Super Bowl 50.

“It’s never easy to say goodbye to one of the crown jewels of your network and studio, much less to a show that is among the best on television,” said CBS Entertainment president Glenn Geller and CBS TV Studios president David Stapf in a joint statement. “But it also feels very right to end with the seven-year story its creators envisioned, and to celebrate the show’s final run while at the top of its creative game. It has been CBS’s sincere privilege to broadcast and produce ‘The Good Wife’ for seven extraordinary seasons. We thank and applaud the outstanding cast, led by the impeccable Julianna Margulies, and the consummate writing and producing team, headed by the brilliant Robert and Michelle King, who brought to life a smart, sophisticated series that has delivered audiences so many memorable characters and unforgettable moments. It is a series that will only grow in prestige as its episodes are watched again or discovered by new viewers for many years to come.”

“The Good Wife” has been the rare broadcast TV drama series to rank as a contender with cable fare in award races and critical acclaim. The drama, which bowed in 2009, initially focused on Margulies’ Alicia Florrick character as a Chicago political spouse trying to rebuild her life after her husband (played by Chris Noth) went to jail on corruption charges.

The end of the series had been up on the air for the past few months after showrunners and creators Robert and Michelle King confirmed they would step down from the show after its current season. But Geller told reporters last month during the Television Critics Association press tour that he was confident that the “Good Wife” production bench was strong enough for the series to endure after the Kings’ departure.

It’s clear that conversations with the key players during the past few weeks resulted in a consensus that the show would be best served by ending after the current season.

” ‘The Good Wife’ has been the creative experience of a lifetime,” said Robert and Michelle King. “Collaborating with the finest actors, writers, producers, staff and crew on ‘The Education of Alicia Florrick’ has been a dream. We can’t imagine working with a more talented, professional, generous lead than Julianna Margulies or more supportive partners than (CBS’) Leslie Moonves, David Stapf, Glenn Geller and Nina Tassler at CBS and CBS Television Studios. We’re looking forward to using this seventh season to bring Alicia’s story to its natural conclusion. We couldn’t be more excited and grateful.”

Margulies earned lead actress Emmy Awards in 2011 and 2014 for her work on the series. “Good Wife’s” accolades have also included AFI kudos, a Peabody Award, a Television Critics Award for drama series and a WGA Award for episodic drama. The show also nabbed Emmy noms for best drama series in 2010 and 2011. Carrie Preston and Martha Plimpton also earned guest star Emmy kudos for their work on the show.

“Being a part of ‘The Good Wife’ has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my career,” said Margulies. “As an actress and a producer, it has been an absolute honor to be a part of a series that, throughout seven years, never settled on being just good… but always strived to be extraordinary. I have witnessed magic happen when Robert and Michelle King put pen to paper, and it has been a privilege to be in the company of their brilliance. To the most amazing and talented cast and crew, there will always be a special place in my heart for our ‘Good Wife’ family. As we close the book on our beloved show, I am humbled and grateful to know that together, we created and were a part of something truly remarkable.”

“Good Wife” has never been a ratings monster by the standards of other CBS dramas, but it brought prestige to the Eye. And syndication deals with Amazon and Hulu were lucrative to warrant series renewals when the show otherwise would have been on the bubble. It’s understood that CBS seriously considered the option of giving the show a short pickup for next season in order to maximize “final season” marketing efforts. Just a few weeks ago, when Margulies joked about being “unemployed” soon during an awards presentation, CBS discounted the significance of her statement, calling it a joke.

But with the creators exiting as showrunners, CBS brass decided that sooner rather than later was better for the series finale.

In addition to CBS TV Studios, “Good Wife” hails from Ridley Scott’s Scott Free Productions. Ridley Scott, Brooke Kennedy, David W. Zucker, Craig Turk and Leonard Dick are executive producers along with the Kings.

1. Marie says:

So disappointed to hear last two episodes of The Good Wife. I have absolutely loved the series amazing actors. Please re think the decision I cannot believe it will be the end of The Good Wife

• Diane Wilson says:

Please reconsider. Sunday nights aren’t the same without it. I really really miss it and am sure many people feel the same.

Sent from my iPhone

2. Sharon says:

So the finale in May was that the end of the show or do we get to see it again in the fall for another season and that’ll be the end?

• Diane Wilson says:

I was excited to see that there is the possibility of seeing another season of “The Good Wife.” I could never understand how such a great award-winning program would be cancelled and was hoping to see it picked up by another station. Now, hopefully CBS will bring it back. It was hard to get over the shock of the death of Will, but the new romance with Jason was going to be an exciting addition to the program. Please please bring it back. It was my favorite program.

3. Mark says:

The hole that is about to be created by The Good Wife’s end won’t soon be mended. I spend a big majority of my TV time watching the 3 major networks. And, when The Big Bang Theory ends its run soon, that will erase CBS from my viewing time.

4. Patricia Dunnell says:

I was so sad and very disappointed to hear of the cancellation of the Good Wife. I always looked forward to enjoying a program so we’ll written and intelligent as well as the talented actors. There are so few shows of this caliber anymore. I only hope that there is a chance that they will reconsider this cancelation and bring it back next season. I know it can be done, as they have done so in the past. Please forward this to the appropriate persons that have a say in this. Thank you.

5. Sharon says:

I am very upset they are canceling the Good Wife. It has the best writing of any show on TV. I looked forward to a show that was intelligent and interesting. Most shows on TV are not worth watching. So sad to see it go. I wish they would reconsider as announcing during the Super Bowl this would be the last season instead of at the beginning of this season was injustice to the fans.

6. It was an odd fantasy lawyer show. The junior associates litigated huge cases that get wrapped up in a week – and junior associates would never be near a court litigating like seasoned partners – then 3 years out of school they became name partners in major Chicago firms. And what about the star with a face so botoxed it does not move at all and looks like a mask. But you know – somehow the fantasy worked. Archie Panjabi certainly helped. But it has run its course.

7. Randy says:

Yes, Dunstan, we all make decisions on how we spend our time. There are many films and shows I choose not to watch based on their promos. However, I’d never post an opinion justifying the demise of something I haven’t seen (BTW after seven acclaimed and award-winning seasons), and further amplify that based on my friends’ comments. You’re trying to justify what is essentially unjustifiable.

• Dunstan says:

And I bet some of the shows and films you chose not to watch based on their promos were also award winners.

Again, it’s like most things in life; one person’s ceiling is another person’s floor.

8. Randy says:

Ridiculous comment by Dunstan, based on nothing more than trailers. “The Good Wife” is so much more than a nighttime soap. Brilliantly written, acted, and directed, it is the only major network show to rival cable in quality. It will be missed, but it does feel right for it to make its exit now. BTW, The Variety piece failed to mention the contributions and Emmy of Archie Panjabi who, while often underused, was a most indelible part of the GW fabric. Her absence this season has certainly been noted.

• Dunstan says:

Randy, not a ridiculous comment; it’s simply my opinion. We all make decisions on how we spend our free time. The commercials for it are designed to elicit interest from the audience. It never did that for me so I never was interested. And friends who did watch confirmed my opinion.

9. Dunstan says:

Obviously, every show runs its course. I never did watch this as it clearly wasn’t aimed at me. Whenever I’d see commercials or clips, it looked like nothing more than a nighttime soap opera. Just another reason not to watch the traditional networks.

• scotshot says:

The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and like shows are all soap operas. Shows featuring creative ways of eviscerating Zombies or humans doesn’t change that fact.

10. Linda Daley says:

although i don’t particularly care for this show, it’s sad to see another program geared to adults go down the drain.

11. Stopped watching after Will died…

12. LIR says:

Thank you Margulies & Company. Job well done. :)

13. So this is the last season. The ratings for this season have been putrid. They never found a replacement for Josh Charles and the Archie Panjabi situation was ridiculous. I guess CBS couldn’t imagine the show doing better than the debacle it has been this season without the creators. I hope they give it a decent ending. Nobody will pick it up.

• Aaron says:

They didn’t need a replacement for Josh Charles. The Good Wife is great TV, but the relationship between Charles and Margulies mostly rang hollow, and the show easily moved beyond his absence. The new recruits this season have been great, and I’ll be sad to see the show end before they’ve had the opportunity to evolve and develop.

14. John Miller says:

The series that asks you to feel sympathy for a bunch of cutthroat lawyers.

15. Diane wilson says:

I am so sad to know that this show is ending. I have seen every episode since the very first one. It was sad to see Will leave but Alicia is someone that many women can relate to and be inspired by
    PLEASE give it another year even though the creators are gone. PLEASE !!!!!

16. Red Queen says:

Not surprised. The show has been going downhill since Will died.

17. taffy says:

Not a surprise when the show’s leading lady is a such a cvnt to everyone around her. There’s only so much BS even a saint can take.

18. 1favored says:

Bone-head decision.

19. satyalux says:

As other comments have already pointed out it said *this* season is the last, not *next* season.

20. JC says:

After THIS season. Did you even pay attention?

21. macnut222 says:

Correction: the CURRENT season is the final season of The Good Wife.