‘The Exorcist’ Pilot Ordered at Fox with Modern Twist

The Exorcist
Courtesy of Warner Bros.

Fox has ordered a pilot for “The Exorcist,” based on William Blatty’s 1971 novel, which inspired the iconic 1973 horror film of the same name.

The one-hour drama pilot is described as a modern reinvention inspired by Blatty’s book — a propulsive, serialized psychological thriller following two very different men tackling one family’s case of horrifying demonic possession, and confronting the face of true evil.

The project hails from 20th Century Fox Television, in association with Morgan Creek Productions, and was written by Jeremy Slater, who also executive produces alongside James Robinson, David Robinson and Barbara Wall.

This development season, diversity is a high priority for Fox — the broadcaster has already ordered a pilot for a “24” spinoff with a non-white lead; Dan Fogelman’s female baseball drama “Pitch,” starring Kylie Bunbury; and Lee Daniels’ untitled music drama, starring Queen Latifah, which is centered around the making of a girl group. The network has also picked up event series “Shots Fired,” starring Sanaa Lathan, which aims to reflect recent racial tensions and the string of police shootings making headlines, and the hotly-anticipated return of “Prison Break” with original stars Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell on board.

On the comedy side, along with the already-ordered animated series “Son of Zorn,” voiced by Jason Sudeikis, Fox has picked up a pilot for a time-travel comedy from Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who also executive produce “The Last Man on Earth” for the network.

For detailed information on all of this year’s pilots, see Variety’s Pilot Scorecard.

1. Francine Haas says:

I love the show. It’s as creepy as the Movie! Bravo Fox, for signing a show like this…if it had been the other 3 networks…it would have been cancelled after the first episode.

2. Draybae says:

Actually, I am very impressed with the series so far and that is after two episodes. Being a huge horror genre fan, I looked at this skeptically because remaking or copying a classic never seems to be wise but I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. I kept me on the edge of my seat and not just because of the occasional fright scenes but I wanted to know more. I wanted to see more but NOT which is what a good horror movie or series should make you want to do. This is worth the watch and that is saying a lot coming from a person like me. My only fear is that it may take a turn towards the unrealistic factor which a lot of the modern horror does on order to keep the ADD audience entranced.

3. EGO T’E Abvsolvo…
    EGO T’E Absolvo…

• Martin Allen says:

I only like it if they keep it scary i doubt we will run out of the living room scared but that be cool as long as its not just talk talk drama i love it to be scary and on the edge of your seat thriller.

4. stevenkovacs says:

‘Exorcist’ TV show? think I’m gonna hurl

5. TheBigBangof20thCenturyPopCulture says:

Endless remakes. Oy vey. Why doesn’t Hollywood just offer millennials a time machine back to the 20th century?

6. Movie Man says:

“Diversity” meaning ANTI-white. Why the rush to alienate whites that make up 70% of America? It makes no sense.

7. 85wzen says:

Guess the ‘twist’ would be a pedophile runnin after her… yep… sounds just like hell!

8. Ken says:

My head is spinning by this news.

9. cadavra says:

Seriously, how do you get a series out of this? Do they stay with one family for the entire season? Is it an Exorcism Of The Week? Three or four multi-episode arcs? And how many times can they do stuff like making the furniture jump or barfing up last night’s pizza? Sounds pretty dicey to me.