The CW Renews Full Series Slate, Including ‘The 100,’ Season 12 of ‘Supernatural’

'The 100,' 'Supernatural' Renewed As The
Courtesy of CW

In an unprecedented move for a broadcast network, the CW announced Friday that it has given early renewals to every current series on its schedule.

Ratings may not be all that great for some of the shows, but CW President Mark Pedowitz showed extreme confidence in his slate, ordering pickups for the 10 series comprising its current schedule as well as “Reign,” which resumes its third season next month. Given that CW has numerous pilots in contention to join the lineup next season, it’s clear that the network’s strategy will be to spread out these renewed series across fall, midseason and summer.

Among the pickups are rookie series “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” and DC’s “Legends of Tomorrow” and veterans “Supernatural” and “The Vampire Diaries.” “Supernatural,” which began on The WB in 2005, will be back for its 12th season, which will include the drama’s 250th episode.

Related Content Netflix In Talks to Renew The CW Deal With Warner Bros., CBS

“The CW has become home to some of the most critically acclaimed shows on broadcast television, with a wide array of fantastic scripted series across the week, ranging from musical comedy, to superhero action, to gritty sci-fi dramas,” said Pedowitz. “As we continue to further our strategy of more year-round original programming, picking up these 11 series for the 2016-17 season puts us in a great position of having proven, high-quality shows to launch in the fall as well as midseason and summer of 2017.”

The series being ordered for the 2016-17 season are: “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” (season 2), “Jane the Virgin” (season 3), “The Flash” (season 3), “iZombie” (season 3), “Arrow” (season 5), “Supernatural” (season 12), “DC’s “Legends of Tomorrow” (season 2), “The 100” (season 4), “The Vampire Diaries” (season 8), “The Originals” (season 4) and “Reign” (season 4).

1. Alissa says:

I love these shows but is it me or TVD slacking? Anyway I wish they didn’t cancel Containment. The series was so good but i could understand why it was canceled.

2. Brenda Carlisle says:

Way 2 go Supernatural! CW I wish you would pick up CASTLE that cancelled!

3. Rochelle says:

I just wanna let CW I LOVE the 100 hands down best show I have seen in a while, walking dead was my favorite show but this by far passed it in every way. I LOVE the story line in the 100

4. Hello in there? says:

Is there a reason that of all the shows being renewed, the graphic for this article is of two male characters? Was this the only graphic provided “Courtesy of the CW”? I just want to know where to place my annoyance.

Almost half of these shows are headed by lead characters who aren’t men, including The 100. The show is easily recognizable for Clarke (among many other characters), so if you’re going to use a picture of The Flash, because yes, The Flash is understandably The Flash, then why represent The 100 using an image of Bellamy?

This is the only article I’ve seen about the CW renewal news that uses a two image graphic, and none of the notable female characters in any of the shows… This is so simple, it’s annoying.

• Keiran S-C says:

really gender issues… god you must be a boring person just enjoy the show and be happy its continueing no ones sprouting male domminance iv seen bits of the show and i know belomy has been in it since day 1 soo. id rather see constantine s2 instead of the 100

5. appleforaface says:

I binge-watched the first 2 seasons of The 100, and quite frankly got really bored with it half-way through the second season. Only reason I stuck with it was because I was within 5 episodes of completing the season. There is no reason to watch anymore of this show, it really went downhill fast.

6. Jaymary says:

We were watching The 100. It started off great, but now it has a terrible storyline! The shows on the CW are extremely dark, I mean we can hardly see anything. He resolution must be inferior to our high tech TV. We won’t continue watching The 100, or start any other series on the CW.

• stevehc1 says:

The dark picture us NOT coming from the original CW feed, must be related to the station that you are actually viewing. You mght want to notify your cable, satellite or telephone tv servuce provider and/or the statiin directly of the issue.

7. nick says:

Supernatural 12th season. My favourite show. Nowadays no classic rock in the show. It was bothering me for some time just could’nt figure out. I would like to hear that music again.

8. Angela Parker says:

Thrilled to hear about the 12th season of Supernatural, still the best show on TV.

9. Lisa says:

Thank you, CW!

10. stevehc1 says:

FANTASTIC strategy. Seriously! CW is finally stabilizing AND growing – and with sime really first-rate products no less.

Genuinely good news for *everybody*. Let’s just hope current viewers remain loyal and that the network and studios put enough marketing money into the kitty to draw more NEW viewers as well.

11. Raz says:

Yea! Supernatural is coming back!

12. Sidath says:

What about scorpion?

13. gerberdaisy201 says:

Yay! With The Originals moving to Fridays, which actually works really well for my schedule, I wasn’t sure whether they would be picked up again or not. This news makes me happy. You just can’t have too many sexy vampire shows.

14. "I SEE DEAD SHOWS" lol says:

Wow! So excited for the COLOR network. They renewed shows that are getting 0.3s and 0.4 ratings in key demographics. Lol. I always wanted to see if a show would get a 0.0 demographic rating on one of the “big” networks. Now I will get to see it next fall, if not sooner. Daylight savings time will kill the already pathetic ratings for most of broadcast tv, starting Sunday night. ABC, FOX, NBC, and FOX will get hammered on most nights of the week. YIKES!!!!

• Shawn Dudley says:

The “COLOR” network? You do realize that most CW shows are profitable before they ever air, right? Their foreign broadcast and streaming deals covers for the lesser ratings. And since all CW shows are owned by the network and produced by Warner Bros. they get to keep all the profits.

15. Albert Li says: