‘Supergirl’ Casts Tyler Hoechlin as Superman for Season 2

Tyler Hoechlin Superman Supergirl
Courtesy of Warner Bros Televieion

Supergirl” has found its Man of Steel; “Teen Wolf” alum Tyler Hoechlin has been cast as Superman/Clark Kent in Season 2 of the Greg Berlanti-produced drama, which is making the jump from CBS to The CW for its sophomore outing.

“Greg and I have wanted to work with Tyler for ages, so this worked out perfectly because Tyler is Superman,” said executive producer Andrew Kreisberg in a statement. “We are so thrilled and humbled to add another amazing actor to the legacy of this iconic character.”

Hoechlin recently starred in Richard Linklater’s “Everybody Wants Some!!” alongside Blake Jenner — the husband of “Supergirl” star Melissa Benoist — who has also appeared on the superhero drama. Hoechlin will next be seen in “Stratton” alongside Dominic Cooper and Tom Felton. Previous credits include “Road To Perdition,” “Hall Pass” and “Solstice.”

When news of Superman’s casting was first announced, Kreisberg released a statement on behalf of the show’s producing team, which includes Berlanti and Ali Adler. “Greg, Ali and I are beyond thrilled to welcome Clark Kent and his slightly-more-famous alter ego to the world of ‘Supergirl,'” he said. “Superman will be appearing in the first two episodes of the new season.”

Hoechlin is repped by UTA, Management 360, and attorney Todd Rubinstein.

“Supergirl” Season 2 will air Mondays at 8 p.m. on The CW.

1. TROY! says:

Bad choice. I still say that they should simply make an exception and switch roles. Brandon Routh would make a FAR better Superman. Make Tyler the Atom. I know it means that Brandon gets less time on TV but he’s simply far better for the part of Superman than Tyler ever will be.

2. Joseph S. Garcia says:

Well this is an Earth where Supergirl did not know Flash and vice versa so this is an alternate Earth and that is how I will look at it. I did not mind Jimmy being black but at least fit somewhat the part of the character and not a GQ looking guy the size of Superman! Plus dating Lucy Lane… alternate Earth say 47… haha. by the way I do not care what race a person is I am half Italian and Spanish but just try to get the person 80% to fit the role. Like when Michael Clarke Duncan played King Pin… awesome! ‘Nuff said

3. Tom Woof says:

I wish Tyler the best on the role, though he really doesn’t look the part of Superman to me, he’s more of the Batman type. I wasn’t thrilled about them making the Jimmy Olson I’ve known since I was a kid, a very likeable, red headed, clumsey fellow into a linebacker sized black guy either, and I’m still adjusting to it, and watching, and I’ll continue to watch until it bores me…. I grew up watching George Reeves as Superman, and there’s been quiet a few to fill those red boots since, and I’m still watching and enjoying.

• Hermoine Trump says:

Yeah, Tom. Things were so much better in the days when linebacker sized black guys and women without head-rags and aprons didn’t exist in comics or on TV. Everything was just prettier and easier and nicer.

Oh well. Looks like were stuck in 2016, with all the stupid laws, inclusion, equality, realism and forward thinking. Good think we can use our remotes to “vote” and write to Variety to express our true feelings.

People should always…..”look the part,” and more often than not, blonde, blue eyed, and shapely or tall, white and handsome fills the bill.

• The Dominant Chromosome says:

Exactly, see, you broads can come up with an original thought occasionally.. oh wait, smarmy sarcasm isn’t original. At all.

4. Jess says:

Hoechlin is handsome enough and I enjoyed watchcing him on Teen Wolf but damn, is he a BAD actor. His line delivery is completely off and he just can’t deliver emotional scenes convincingly, most of the time they fall flat.

5. Keirin says:

If it isn’t Tom Welling…. Tyler Hoechlin is too small and isn’t strong or talented enough. Way to kill Supergirl. He SUCKED on Teen Wolf…. literally….

6. keirin says:

Not watching. Bad choice.

7. Shelly says:

I am so disappointed that they didn’t consider Tom Welling. He’s the perfect age for the part and it would have been so much fun to see him in the role again. I was all ready to tune in, really looking forward to it. I just can’t get excited about some guy from teen wolf… I won’t be watching.

8. Pip says:

Just watch those ratings “soar”!” Variety loves that word.

9. Still not going to watch.....unless says:

The Show can never be considered viable or “super” unless and until it exhibits more diversity. This is NOT a fantasy world, in spite of what racists and misogynists want people to believe.

Get some minority women, dang it, and some homosexuals too ! They can be “super” characters too !

Why is Superman coming to see Supergirl ? Why isn’t she SuperWOMAN ?
    Shouldn’t he be SuperBOY?

• wayne Klein says:

They have brought in some minority women. It’s only the start of season two for goodness sake! If you’re not watching how can you possibly know any of this?

It’s in the pilot–the editor of the paper “named” her and she wasn’t too fond of it as I recall either.

• edward says:

Please read a comic or two. Supergirl is named Supergirl because in the comics, she’s a girl. Not a woman. She’s still a teen when she arrives to Earth (in the comics) and so she donned her name. Comic books were some of the first forms of media to break the barrier and introduce minority and LGBT characters.

• OK, Edward ....But says:

Say anything. What is proffered is still not enough to be viable and relevant TODAY. It’s all nonsense, and the character in question is a grown ass woman.
        Note: Superman was once a boy, but he is now referred to as SUPERMAN.
        As long as such disparity continues, women will remain underpaid, disrespected and seated in the back of the bus. THIS IS NOT OK !

• Jenna says:

“Why is Superman coming to see Supergirl ? Why isn’t she SuperWOMAN ?
      Shouldn’t he be SuperBOY?”

Have you… seen a single episode of this show?? Kara ended up on earth 12 years later than Clark so now he’s older than her. Superman has already been long established on Earth, Kara just started being Supergirl. Honestly, it’s all there in the freaking PILOT EPISODE.

• Patty says:

“What do you think is so bad about ‘girl’? I’m a girl, and your boss, and rich, and powerful, and hot, and smart. So if you perceive ‘Supergirl’ as anything less than excellent, isn’t the real problem…you?”

– Cat Grant (Calista Flockhart), ‘Pilot’

Also, it’s not known whether Supergirl’s version of Kal-El followed the Silver Age path (where he began his career as Superboy) or the Bronze Age/Post-Crisis path (where he takes a few years after high school to find out who he really is, and decides to become Superman). I suspect it’s the latter.

• trekkius says:

Yeah I’m pretty sure Jenna is being sarcastic about the way everything’s PC these days. But I may have noticed it because I have a sense of humor.

10. JOE S HILL says:

I’m so sick and tired of Hollywood moving their productions over to Canada! have we gotten so damned greedy that we can’t even afford to use our studios anymore? since TV and Films have been shot in Canada since the mid 1980s,nothing has been the same! these corporate “cheapskates” just annoy me,that this is the best they can do,and they wonder why our products don’t look as great,or are a huge success! the credits should read,”Filmed in Hollywood,Canada”,since it’s cheaper-how damned pathetic!!

• trekkius says:

So I’m guessing everything you use or own is American made? Or if you were a movie producer, you’d have added expense just to keep it out of Canada? Come on now.

11. Don Benn says:

I never understood why so many people (so many times) became so upset when actor “A” was selected over actors “B” or “C” to play an iconic role. Now I not only understand…but I am one of them. I have zero right to tell or even suggest to the producers of the show how to spend their money…but I have 100% right to decide how I will spend my limited viewing time. To quote a line that Tom Welling should have been saying next year, I’m “Up, Up, Up…and away!

12. I like this, he was good on Teen Wolf!

13. marco says:

For a while I was bothered by DC keeping their movie and TV worlds separate, especially when they’ve been successful bringing Green Arrow, the Flash, and 30+ comics characters to life in live action. But with them continuing to move forward with so many characters and now, interconnected shows, I’m over it. their tv world is much more engaging then their movie universe. Adding Superman is a step in the right direction.

14. David says:

I think it’s great that they are bringing in Superman. No it won’t be Cavill. He’s not about to go small screen at this time.

I’ve been enjoying how they have unfolded Supergirl. They have a lot of women working in the background to be sure it is ground in the “female perspective”,so it’s not a guy trying to write a woman’s feelings.

Great Job!

15. loki says:

No one cast can look superman he’s just some drawing in a comic boo, and as for cavil not being used it due to the show not being in the same universe as the movies so using him would be confusing for a lot of people.

16. mike says:

omg this guy dont even look the part thias show gets worse and worse hope they kill it after this season

• wayne Klein says:

Well Mike you don’t have to watch the show. For those of us who are happy it hasn’t been cancelled, we’d like to see what happens and the various changes they might make for season two.

17. JoeMcG says:

Disappointing. I wonder if Tom Welling was even approached? And why not Cavill? I’m sure it has everything to do with budget as these two are likely way out of their pay-grade for a CW series. How much more will the budget cuts affect this fine show? How many other cast members are we going to lose with the move to Vancouver? I remain hopeful for Supergirl, but I’m concerned about the changes that are sure to come…

• Patty says:

Cavill is filming the two Justice League films. Welling never wanted the role in the first place. Besides, have you seen his recent photos? He would need at least six months to get back into shape.

More than likely they chose Hoechlin because he was available – and didn’t need as long to get in shape.

18. DD says:

I was really hoping they would cast Tom Welling, to me he seemed the best choice for the role. Doesn’t really look like Superman to me personally. Good luck with the role!

19. Nanny Mo says:

Interesting choice. He was so “one-note” in Teenwolf. I mean some acting would have been nice, but Superman doesn’t really act, he just is, and then isn’t, and then is again, so this might work.