‘Stranger Things’: Duffer Brothers Promise ‘Justice for Barb’ in Season 2

Stranger Things Barb
Courtesy: Netflix

[Spoiler alert: The following interview covers plot details from the entire eight-episode first season of Netflix’s “Stranger Things.” Do not read until you’ve finished the season.]

While the Netflix summer hit “Stranger Things” still hasn’t been officially renewed for Season 2, its creators, known as the Duffer brothers, are weighing in on what the future of the show could possibly hold.

Specifically, the future of one Barb who captured the internet’s heart as the sidekick who tragically dies and is essentially forgotten while the rest of the season focuses on saving
another character.

Related

‘Stranger Things’ Q&A: Winona Ryder and Millie Bobby Brown Talk the Binge Phenomenon

First things first, the bad news: Barb is almost definitely not coming back to the show. “I can’t see it happening” Matt Duffer told IGN in a recent interview.

But he acknowledged that they hear the weeping and gnashing of teeth surrounding the character’s unfortunate demise, and the general lack of emotional closure.

“Barb will not be forgotten,” he said. “We’ll make sure there’s some justice for Barb. People get very frustrated, understandably, that the town doesn’t seem to be really dealing with Barb. That stuff is all happening. We’re just not spending any screen time on it.”

Related

Stranger Things

‘Stranger Things’ Finale: Duffer Brothers Talk Cliffhangers, Death and Season 2

Again, Season 2 has not been officially confirmed. But in the interview, the creators made it clear that a plan for more story is in place.

“Season 1 actually takes place over the course of six or seven days – it’s a really short period of time,” he said. “So part of what we want to do with hypothetical Season 2 is to explore the repercussions of everything that happened.”

1. Justin says:

Please follow the lead of “The Wire”and end the series after only a few seasons.

2. Alex Jadiel says:

I am hoping for a season 2 with the entire cast back in a sequel story. Is what I loved more about the show. I hope Stranger Things can do better and give us more of that 80’s sensation, without involving aliens, body-snatchers or horror legends. I hope to see Eleven back, see new realities and new monsters or dimensional gates. I like to explore the same characters along with new ones. I hate the concept of American Horror Story and not having continuity. I hope to see the kids in the best year of the 80’s when it comes to Sci-Fi.

3. Will is not 100% ok, and Eleven is still out there somewhere in the shadow world. Nothing is resolved, plenty to work on here.

4. EricJ says:

Actually, even though I haven’t watched the series, the headline spoils what I already suspect about most Binge-era Netflix/Hulu series, ie. that the “ending” won’t actually be an ENDING.
    Not as long as they can string out that next renewed season.
    And, that they want to cult-of-character market their new “villain” (which the trailer also spoiled) so they can turn it into a cult-of-binge-audience phenomenon.

I like the fact that a generation is now sentimental for the Spielberg and Stephen King 80’s they remember from a previous generation, but they’re only using it to create more of the 10’s problem than the solution.

• jackson says:

Well, DUH!!! Most television shows don’t wrap every storyline at the end of season one, do they?

You truly are a special kind of stupid.

5. jbauty2012 says:

Please no Season 2. Maybe a second “anthology” tale, ok, but not a sequel.

• Sam says:

No. If you’re going to do a season 2, do a sequel. I HATE anthology shows. You get hooked on a group of characters and then just move on. it’s stupid.

• Alejandro says:

“I HATE anthology shows. You get hooked on a group of characters and then just move on. it’s stupid.”

….Did you just call shows like The Twilight Zone and Tales from The Crypt “stupid”?…
        The same goes to movies like Creepshow and Cat’s Eye.

6. Eric says:

I have always said that the series is great as is. It works as its own thing, no need for Season 2. But should the Powers That Be decide to return, this is a good argument for it–the short days’ events starting to ripple back.

When I talked to me-ol’ Chapman classmates about their Season 2 plans, I said my own preference, being that it is a “complete” story, was that the series continues in “Amazing Stories” or “Twilight Zone” style (or in today’s world, “American Horror Story”), and returns will an all-new cast and an all-new tale, under the “Stranger Things” banner.

‘Course that’s up to them. My opinion and a slice of bread will get you a sandwich.

• Are you kidding me? There is SO much unanswered! This is the most incomplete “complete” show I have ever seen!

• Chub says:

I agree. I love getting a new, quality story every season like American Horror. Or they could even have an entirely new cast every season like True Detective. Stranger Things just needs to make sure to keep the casting agent. Every character was superb.

• Alejandro says:

Dustin got ABIT annoying in my opinion…he got FACE-PALMINGLY BAD in the last two episodes when it came to the chocolate pudding…

7. eddie willers says:

Hurry up and give the boys money for a second season.