‘Star Trek’: Bryan Fuller Named Showrunner of New Series

star trek bryan fuller american gods
MediaPunch/REX Shutterstock

“Hannibal” creator Bryan Fuller has found his next mission: showrunner and co-creator of CBS’ new “Star Trek” series.

He’ll serve as executive producer alongside Alex Kurtzman on the reboot of the sci-fi classic, Variety has learned.

A longtime fan of science fiction, Fuller began his career writing for “Star Trek: Voyager” (1997-2001) and “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” (1997).

“My very first experience of ‘Star Trek’ is my oldest brother turning off all the lights in the house and flying his model of a D7 Class Klingon Battle Cruiser through the darkened halls. Before seeing a frame of the television series, the ‘Star Trek’ universe lit my imagination on fire,” said Fuller. “It is without exaggeration a dream come true to be crafting a brand new iteration of ‘Star Trek’ with fellow franchise alum Alex Kurtzman and boldly going where no ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before.”

The new series is set to bow on CBS in January 2017, then move to CBS’ All Access digital subscription service. It will be the first original series to launch on a broadcast network but air primarily on an SVOD service.

“Bringing ‘Star Trek’ back to television means returning it to its roots, and for years those roots flourished under Bryan’s devoted care,” said Kurtzman. “His encyclopedic knowledge of ‘Trek’ canon is surpassed only by his love for Gene Roddenberry’s optimistic future, a vision that continues to guide us as we explore strange new worlds.”

The creative plan is for the series to introduce new characters and civilizations, existing outside of the mythology charted by previous series and the current movie franchises.

Star Trek” will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout banner. Kurtzman, Fuller and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers.

“For the past 50 years, ‘Star Trek’ has been a groundbreaking franchise that not only changed the landscape of television, but made a significant impact on pop culture,” said David Stapf, president of CBS Television Studios. “When we began discussions about the series returning to television, we immediately knew that Bryan Fuller would be the ideal person to work alongside Alex Kurtzman to create a fresh and authentic take on this classic and timeless series. Bryan is not only an extremely gifted writer, but a genuine fan of ‘Star Trek.’ Having someone at the helm with his gravitas who also understands and appreciates the significance of the franchise and the worldwide fan base was essential to us.”

The latest iteration of “Star Trek” on TV is set to launch on the heels of the 50th anniversary of the original series premiere on Sept. 8, 1966, which was led by stars William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley. Created by Gene Roddenberry and produced by Lucille Ball’s Desilu Productions, “Star Trek” ran for three seasons on NBC but famously became far more popular in syndicated reruns than it ever was in its original primetime run.

Alongside Michael Green, Fuller also serves as executive producer, writer and showrunner on Starz’s adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s beloved novel “American Gods,” which will begin production in Toronto this April.

1. If the series has anything to do with the 3 wanna-be Star Trek movies then don’t bother! The Series WILL be a waste of time. Only superficial fans known as Drekkies or the Super-Obsessed Fans with no life will watch!
    Also most of us will not pay to watch ANY Television Series! Period!
    I can easily think of several overlooked venues that would make for great Star Trek series but I’m not about to share it with those who would turn it into a venue to promote filth or morally bankrupted behavior.

• Shandy says:

Pretty much agree with that. I find the “AU reboot” to be ultimately a waste of time, and anything going forward with it will continue to be…nobody would pay to watch a show…and I can also think of things that should be done next with Trek. In fact, I’ve had these ideas for years now. (Hire me this instant, dagnabbit.) Hopefully whoever is developing the current idea isn’t operating under some horribly misguided notion of what people want.
      Of course, there’s no such thing as ‘too obsessed’…or is there? xp

2. Shandy says:

TNG turned me into a Trekkie (I started watching due to Patrick Stewart & Jonathan Frakes–loved Patrick from a bunch of movies and Jonathan from Beyond Belief.) From there I watched all five series in order. TNG & DS9 remain my favorites, but Voyager, TOS, & Enterprise are awesome too. My idea of a perfect sixth Trek series would be one picking up where TNG+DS9+Voyager leave off, merging the three of them. It would be so fascinating to see all of those crews interact. Of course, you could still focus on a new group anyway, and the major thing is that…well, it’d probably have to be animated. Since the actors are all older now. But if you could get good enough animation and other production values (noooot like the original TOS-based animated series that most don’t even consider canonical, lol), and all of the actors to voice their characters…it could be an absolute masterpiece. *gets heart eyes*

3. Drewarfsky says:

why would I want to bother with setting their TV service to watch 1 show? I’d probably want to see this but I’m not going to be able to seeing how it’s only going to be available

4. ballew says:

Variety, why have a comment section when you delete most of them or don’t show them?

• ballew says:

FYI. at 10:06 pm on Feb 9 this article had 38 comments, now @ 9:21 am on Feb 10 only 32 are shown. I’m sure this will be deleted shortly.

5. Renegade05 says:

Star Trek is more than entertainment. It is the hope of earth getting its self together so well that we can go out and see what other life forms are up to and get them to join us. I will watch on TV, but not streaming.

6. I hope that If the are doing a reboot they start it with Capt. Robert April. per the first draft of the first script. I’d also love to see the Daedalus class Yorktown be the first New ship!

7. Cindy says:

When TNG came out, I was in love, wasn’t a big fan of DS9 but when Archer came along I was in love again. Although DS9 wasn’t my favorite, I am still a die hard fan and watched it religiously. Also wasn’t major fan of Voyager with Janeway, but again I am a diehard fan so I also watched, I will always support Star Trek, from “Star Trek” the motion picture (Veger) to The newest film “Into Darkness” Which btw, I think the newest films, are absolutely wonderful. They have got the characters down pat, but made them their own. They have made Star Trek proud. Karl Urban, is spot on with Bones, he makes me laugh so much, along with Simon Pegg as Scotty. I think Gene Roddenberry would of been proud.

8. So happy to hear! I will watch!!

9. More reboot bullshit. I want to see the Federation post-DS9. I want a deep, rich mythology informed by modern scifi like Battlestar Galactica. I want my years of investment in the franchise to be worth something.

Doctor Who maintained continuity and still won a whole new generation of viewers, and Doctor Who canon is mostly trash. Why would they reboot star trek?

• Vajazzle Mcdildertits says:

I completely agree with you, but I think they went in terms of reboot because when unacquainted viewers hear Star Trek they usually think “kirk, spock, beam me up scotty” and that’s kind of the end of it. I don’t know if a reboot was necessary, but since they did do one, it would make the most sense to be done on the original series.

I’d rather find out what happened post-DS9 as well, but that might be a ways off. I suspect Paramount has retired the Prime canon for the near future.

10. Therese says:

Can’t wait till he gets his gay hands all over it. I hope I get Gillian Andedson as a space lesbian.

11. Gitte says:

Unfortunately streaming is going to kill it. It should be on broadcast like it originally was. So many young minds were able to enjoy it, dream of space and be inspired by science.

12. So Fuller showran the series HANNIBAL which was slick for season’s 1 & 2 but season 3 made them into GAY MEN so watch for Captain Kirk to want to gay up the Doctor & Spock. Fuller is such a moron. I won’t watch besides I hated Deep Space 9 and the other show he initially wrote for. He’s a terrible writer.

• Spacetree says:

Congratulations! You’re a bigot. Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad about them.

• ctleng76 says:

So, I agree the Cognitive Fungus Pro’s comment was inappropriate. However, if characters being gay ends up being the focus of the show, then I agree that I won’t watch. CBS is using the gay character approach as an advertisement for the show. If I were gay, I would be upset with that Wouldn’t it be better if we found out during the show that there is a gay character? Making such a big deal about it feels desperate and forced.

I guess it won’t matter for me, since I will NOT be paying for All Access. It is a horrible streaming service, and $5 per month is way too much for one show. It will probably include ads for their other shows during episodes as well.

13. Kevon Huntley says:

Did CBS interview and/or consider the hard working people who were trying to make Star Trek through a kick starter? You know – the ones they sued to remove it. Those are the folks who REALLY care about doing quality Star Trek.

• Bryan Fuller has never actually presided over a successful series on his own. “DS9” was already on the air when he came on and when he moved up with “Voyager” there was at best, nothing special. In fact, it’s even a joke on the “Big Bang Theory” when Sheldon proposes to recount everything he finds wrong with “Voyager.” It wasn’t Janeway: it was the writing. She’s doing fine with “Orange is the New Black.”

Of course Paramount wants some kind of television reboot, but their faith is limited if it’s on streaming. I don’t think there’s going to be a renaissance or intellectual revival in the series which it has long needed to get back to and what made the originals work. The new one will be dark and weird and critics will laud it over that. But we have the Presidential Election for dark and weird. I don’t think the public is craving more of that.

14. I am glad they are doing another series but two things worry me…
    1. They used the word REBOOT
    2. Streaming Service..

Now that may be the only way I get to see the new series as I am in the UK. Star Trek is shown on CBS Action and on SyFy here.. Plus ST-Enterprise shown on SkyAtlantic..
    Maybe it will be shown on one of those three channels here… which would save me some money.. and if not my luck will be that the Streaming Service of CBS wont be available here in the UK

15. Miguel says:

I’m excited that there will be a new star trek series. I don’t care if it’s on CBS new platform. Times change and and TV must change with it. Otherwise it will be only internet on a computer. About Bryan Fuller being an executive producer on the new series I think it’s a great idea. I loved his stories on DS9. So whoever chose him, has my full support.

16. Adam says:

I usually don’t like to be the pessimist but this show is going to fail. People are not going to be induced to pay for CBS’s streaming service just so they can watch a new Star Trek show.

• Fred Smith says:

Yeah, but you’ll also get as much of CSI: Whatever that you can stand.

• thejuliebot says:

have you MET star trek fans? they would spend their last dime… if it’s GOOD. Hell, even if it were mediocre.

• Mark says:

Juliebot, you got that right. CBS All Access isn’t worth spit, but $72/year is total chump change for Star Trek. If this news series is an average Star Trek series, sign me up for another 50 years right now.

• Kevon Huntley says:

Not any more. Most of us are down to our last Nickel (LOL)

• dee says:

yeah im not on board with this silly streaming stuff for trek on a new service… seems crazy. creatively though it’s sounding solid so far.

17. myeck waters says:

This is great news! I’ve always assumed that Muffin Buffalo Lady was secretly a Romulan!

18. Fred Archer says:

this is unfortunate.

19. eddie willers says:

Oh now this is excellent news.

20. You forgot Walter Koenig :P

21. dee says:

The death of grace lee whitney has made any future star trek series pointless? Are you serious? omg that is really funny dude. I remember way back when old nerds cried when TNG preemed. Then TNG nerds cried with DS9. Then nerdom went ballistic with JJ. They are never happy yet trek continues. So no one really cares what you think. They expect you guys to hate everything.

22. titaniusrex says:

You’ve already mentioned the spin-offs and new films, yet seem to be narrowly focused on this new series being ONLY about the original casts? It’s not, it will be a new cast set in the current movie universe… it’s a big galaxy, with room for many new stories.

23. …the new series will be set in the prime universe not the JJ-verse according to published reports.

24. T0rchwood says:

Why is this BS allowed to be posted? Isn’t there a moderator to remove this crap?