‘So You Think You Can Dance’ Renewed for Season 13 on Fox with New Format

So You Think You Can Dance

Fox has renewed “So You Think You Can Dance” for Season 13, which will shake up the format with a younger crop of contestants and an All-Star twist.

This season will see dancers between the ages of 8-13, who are skilled in various dance styles, such as contemporary, tap, hip-hop, ballroom, animation or breaking, paired up with All-Stars to compete for the title of America’s Favorite Dancer.

Season 13 will premiere Monday, May 30 at 8 p.m. on Fox, with Nigel Lythgoe, Paula Abdul and Jason Derulo returning to judge, and Cat Deeley once again hosting.

“We are so happy to bring back the award-winning ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ for a 13th season this summer with a brand-new format,” said David Madden, President of Entertainment at Fox. “The series has captivated its loyal fan base for over a decade, inspiring young dancers across the country and transforming the face of dance in every medium – and we’re so excited to feature a young and talented new group of performers on the series.”

“Through the Dizzy Feet Foundation, I’ve had the great privilege of working with incredible young talent who will eventually shape the future of dance in this country,” said co-creator and executive producer Nigel Lythgoe. “By evolving the ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ format this season, we can showcase the very best junior dancers out there and open up the world of dance to a whole new generation.”

1. Lucy Olive says:

I was so disappointed I wanted to cry, I didn’t want to watch so much hip hop and tap. I like those styles of dance but they mostly dance side by side. I loved the variety the show had in dance style and themes but with the kids it was so limited. They could only stick to family friendly themes and that got boring. This show should have been a spin off on Nickalodeon. Also, please change the judges. THey add nothing to the show I like Nigel and that is about it.

2. Karen Skyles says:

I can’t imagine what they were thinking! This was a stupid move that ruined an amazing show. PS: let the kids be kids, there’ll be plenty of time for them to have dance careers, when they’re adults and have had time to not only hone their skills but choose their own careers!

3. Paula Barsotti says:

i have watched every show and am so upset with the direction the show has taken ,boring bad and even watching the better dancers being kick off crazy!!!!! what happened to the real dancers?

4. Sandra E. Vick says:

Next Generation…..BORING…….Bring back ‘adults’! The most beautiful and only reality show I watch, The regular version is Inspiring and amazing!!! Please bring it back.

5. Heather says:

Very disappointed that they did this. I loved SYTCD because of the emotional stories that were told through the dances. You can’ tell those stories with kids. They lost this viewer by changing the format.

6. Sophia Jacobson says:

I hate this! now that I am actually 18 I can’t audition because now it’s for minors! so frustrating! it’s been my dream since I was younger than these kids.

7. Jack says:

I’ve watched all seasons since the show began; however, I REFUSE to watch this season! This kids’ show should be on Saturday mornings. They’d get a larger audience. NIGEL: Bring back the old format. “If it ain’t broke, don’t TRY to fix it!” This is also a great format for attracting pedophiles!

8. theepoet2013 says:

I agree with pretty much everyone else that has commented before me. I’m not even going to bother with the show until it features older contestants again.

9. Amanda says:

Laughing out loud over here Jack…….
    I am now wondering if all these comments here will ever find their way back to Fox or the producers. Such an overwhelming no, No, NO!
    Not being on Twitter or Facebook, I can’t tell them there what I think of this bonehead move. And I could find nowhere on Fox to comment either. Let’s hope Nigel reads Variety…

10. Jack says:

So You Think You Can Kill a Show?

Was there really no other option? Wow, I wish I knew what went on in that meeting …

Boss: “Hey gang, we need higher rating!! What can we do? …… ”
    – “throw in more commercials?”
    – “move it to 3AM?”
    – “make Donald Trump a judge?”
    – “eliminate the music, have the dancers hum?”
    – “make it all-Hawaiian dancing only? Call it So You Think You Can Hula”
    – “allow wheelchairs?”
    – “let the other team shoot pellets at the dancers?”
    – “turn it into a karate show?”
    – “let Steven Hawking be a judge over Skype?”
    – “limit contestants to 14 years old?”

boss: “HEY … ‘CHILDREN’ … that’s a good one. Dance is about emotions and sensuality, something kids are experts at. We’ll make it a children’s show! And someone email Trump and Steven Hawking.”

11. Shell says:

Bring back the adults please

12. stephanielghbic says:

I’m SO disappointed so far with this new format! It’s not compelling like it usually is and I’m struggling to make it through an episode each week when I used to wish I could have an extra hour of the show each week. These kids have barely lived and don’t have the human interest stories/personalities the adults do. It’s great for the kids, but I really am not interested this season at all.

13. Kamalani says:

Our family has watched every season & have even voted for our favs.
    Some of the “keiki’s” are great to watch, but I want the adult dancers back. I really don’t care to see young children dancing as a couple with sexy moves (ballroom ?}. Hip hop & other dances are okay. But I want the grown ups back. Were they not going to be renewed if they didn’t change the format? Maybe they can at least alternate.

14. Myrtle Webb says:

Why? I gave it a try and watched two episodes even though I had my suspicions it would stink, well it does stink. Although the kids are adorable, I love Nigel and thought his dance show concept was brilliant. I have never missed a season and it has been one of my favorite shows but I’m not watching this year. Hasn’t anyone ever heard of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. because this change really broke my heart.

15. Jeff Becker says:

If I wanted to watch kids dance, I would watch Dance Moms! Bring back the old format or until then it’s adios.

16. Victoria Lyn Poulson says:

Don’t like the new format either. Watched one week, just not the same. Good luck, Fox!

17. Angela Maust says:

SYTYCD has been my FAVORITE show on television since its inception. I look forward to it with great anticipation and make 100% sure my DVR is set so I never miss a single episode. I was stunned to see what the format was this year. It’s wonderful for the kids, of course it is. Great spin off show. SPIN OFF. But PLEASE bring back the original format. In every genre the incredible choreographers work with many adult themes that seeing such a young dancer perform would be downright uncomfortable to watch. I’m not speaking only of the more sensual dances (but CERTAINLY all of those!) but many themes that simply require maturity to pull off, that even past contestants wrestle with, not having dealt with yet themselves. Yes, I know the kids will be wonderful. Of course they will wow us. Art will be shown on stage. But I hope and pray that the show that I connect with more than any other, being an artist–a visual artist, and making so MANY connections through these two media that astound me–to see that through more mature dancers will be brought back. I beg of you! Next generation would be wonderful as a spin off!!!

18. Hello says:

I’m also voicing my discontent about the new format. SYTYCD has always been one of my favorite shows on TV. And the ONLY ‘talent’-based show I’ve ever watched. I’m not watching this season. Dance portrays emotional allure; joy, pain, seduction, love, passion, sweetness, melancholy, etc., etc. What’s alluring about watching children portray any of these?! Horrible. Horrible idea.

19. RC WETZEL says:

My wife and I will NOT be watching. There is something inherently WRONG about children dancing the Tango….

20. Cathy says:

Watched all previous seasons but won’t be watching this one. Always thought SYTYCD was one of the best “talent” shows on TV but watching kids dance isn’t what I consider entertainment. I can’t fathom how the All Stars will push these kids in a way developmentally and age appropriate way and still make it compelling to watch. So disappointed that producers chose to “change up the format” in this way.

21. C Gray says:

Don’t like the new sytycd. Pls go back to original format. This one is not worth watching. This was my favorite TV show but not now. Bring back Mary Murphy and the older contestants. Don’t like the younger contestants or Paula.

22. I completely agree with the majority of the other commenters. My g/f and I have watched every prior SYTYCD season, but we won’t be watching this one. We tried – I lasted 5 minutes and she lasted 15 minutes before she turned it off and deleted the series recording on our DVR. Each year Fox changes the format in an attempt to boost the ratings, but we think that’s what’s caused the ratings to fall even further. The more seasons back you go, the better the format was. R.I.P. SYTYCD.

23. Elana says:

I agree with all the comments below. SYTYCD has been my all-time favorite show. It was so inspiring at so many levels. ‘Laughed, cried, inspired, fun, joy. I, too, accepted all the changes — good/bad, etc. This is just too much — SO disappointing! There are plenty of “kid shows” out there. Why not do a spin-off. Were ratings deteriorating? The kids are good but they are kids — not my thing. Bring back the “older” ones (if that’s what we call 18 years old). I used to go to the road shows, as well. SO disappointed! Bring back our old show!

24. Lucille Hutchinson says:

What a disappointment! I was hoping SYTYCD would not repeat last year’s format which I hated. This is even worse. I’ve been watching the show since 2003, no more! I’m deleting it from my DVR. What a loss. Goodbye SYTYCD.

25. Dan Singer says:

Goodbye mature themes, risqué banter, awkward Nigel comments along the lines of “you’ve really grown into womanhood,” etc. They’ve destroyed the show.

26. Amanda says:

I watched SYTYCD since year one, and loved it, accepted every change and eagerly awaited each new season. Laughed and cried and stayed loyal season after season. Last season with stage vs street was difficult for me, I missed Mary Murphy, missed the guest judges (especially Christina Applegate, loved her), missed ballroom, could not get comfortable with the new format. Still, I stuck with it, hoping this season might revert to some of the tried and true aspects of the past.
    This new season…..impossible. I agree with some of the others that the children should be a separate show, children dancing is absolutely not the same as young adults dancing. The maturity and experience needed to move us and inspire us is not there.
    If ratings were suffering perhaps they should have gone back to what worked before. They lost me this time. I am missing my favorite show now. :(

27. ruth says:

Changes format means changing viewers…. Was a fan since the start of the show. But not interested in kids programmes. I am very disappointed.

28. Bg says:

Sorry but I just can’t get excited about the kids in spite of their talent. Just not interested.

29. botaKA says:

Wow, a great show just went down the toilet … :(
    I won’t bother watching another episode.

Since the SYTYCD producers may never see this thread, go send them a message on Twitter that they will see.
    The Twitter ID is @DANCEonFOX.

I don’t use Facebook, but I guess they read the Facebook comments too. Does someone want to post the FB username?

30. Well, in common with most people here, I’ve always watched every SYTYCD and it’s been my favourite show…I just watched the first of the new series and it’s every bit as bad as I thought it would be…it’s just a different show – SYTYCD has gone – it’s been killed by the very people who are supposed to be producing it…and another loyal (and gutted) viewer is now permanently switching off.

31. Jennifer Stamper says:

I don’t think it’s a good idea to have really young dancers dancing with adult all stars. Plus I’m sure it will be very heartbreaking for them when they’re voted off. I’ve watched SYTYCD since the beginning. Not sure I’ll keep watching this season.

32. Wild Bill says:

Do you or anyone you know have a dog that has rhythm.
    Can your dog learn a dance routine?
    You just might want to try out for the 2017 season of “So You Think You Can Dance – Canines.”

Proud canines will be selected from 21 major cities to compete for America’s Best Canine Dancer. There will be two categories – hunting vs street. Start practicing now and look for dates/times in cities near you.

33. fredy says:

The producers seem like they are trying to destroy the show. First All-stars, then that Street vs. Stage crap, now they have switched to **KIDS**!! Are you kidding me?

I watched SYTYCD for the amazing skills some of these dancers have developed. Why would I want to watch some kids bounce around? I’ve looked forward to every season. Now, 10 minutes into the first show this year, I’ve deleted it from the DVR. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I first went searching, in case I got “the kids version” by mistake.

Ah well, it was a good run.

They will most likely lose 90% of their followers. SYTYCD for Kids?! Really? Who in the hell thought that was a good idea?

I think they hit the iceberg and the Titanic is going down. Even if they realize viewership is down near zero, and try to come back to a normal show, I, for one, am going to have a hard time getting interested again. Someone in charge there is really out of touch.

Are there any insiders that can explain this bizarre pivot?
    – Did some child’s product company offer a huge amount to sponsor SYTYCD?
    – Was there some sexual abuse lawsuit?
    – Did some hip hop organization sue?
    – Is some other dance show starting, and bought SYTYCD out?

Why, why, oh why?

Good bye SYTYCD, you’re an idiot.

• Wild Bill says:

I bet someone is locked into a multi-year contract, and the only way out is if the show gets cancelled.

34. Addichtra Moore says:

I think this will be amazing because the old format was boring me, I didn’t even watch last year.
    I was pleasantly surprised. I’m going to give it a chance.

35. Jimmy Crain says:

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. Let the kids shine for once. If you truely and really liked dancing then it would not matter who it was. Plus those kids are the future of dancing and will be the ones that will keep it going. Ya I could see some of you not liking it if they had kids on there that had no clue what they were doing. But they don’t they have kids that can dance just as good as any adult and maybe even better.

36. Jimmy Crain says:

All you adults crying and whining about the new format sound like a bunch of lil toddlers. In reality this show is exactly for you!

37. Linda R says:

One more thing. Last season was bad as well. Why ruin a good thing. There will not be a 14th season, I’ll betcha…….. You choked!

38. Linda R says:

SYTYCD It’s a SAD DAY I was all set for this present season. No longer!!! This was and I say WAS my favorite show to watch. What talent has been on your shows is or was amazing. It was so successful why are you changing that! The kids are great but put them on their own show or something. I am so disappointed in the new format. Why are the stations going for the “kids” audiences? There are adults out there, too. You had a beautiful thing going, showed us so much talent and beauty. I do not want to watch a season of teeny-boppers. I have watched this show for all seasons and now I will stop. I am or was a ballroom dancer and I want to see real talent, not learning kids. Yes, some were very talented and will have great futures. But I’m done. Thanks for the past shows.

• Jimmy Crain says:

I bet most those kids can dance better than you can lol and were you even watching the right show? I didn’t see any kid that was dancing that was “just learning.” I saw kids that were dancing that have talent and were far beyond their age for dance skills. You are such a closed minded fool and you call yourself a dancer…what a joke you are! Those kids have real talent.

39. SYTYCD Heartbroken says:

I have been in love with this show even through all of the changes to the original structure. But this is my breaking point. The newest trend in TV reality competition is “Kids” and I understand this but make a new channel for them, make a separate show. Like “Chopped: Kids”, the judging is more lenient and “fluffy”. Not what I or I think any true fan of the show wants. I don’t want to see children degraded but I don’t want to watch Paula say “oh how cute are you?” all season long as many have said and Julie Tempelmeyer stated best “No one is going to tell these children th honest truth for fear of crushing their self esteem”. I live for this show, I’ve waited all year long and now I’m freeing my DVR of it, sadly.

40. Julie Tempelmeyer says:

I agree with everyone in that I wanted to see dancers given a chance at a dream, not children who have been going to dance classes for a couple of years. Also, Paula’s glowing praise, Nigel’s glowing praise, Jason’s glowing praise. No one is going to tell these children th honest truth for fear of crushing their self esteem. Bring back the old format next year and make sure to advertise it as I have taken SYTYCD off my DVR.

• Laura says:

I agree. I will not be watching this season. I agree that some of these kids may very well have talent and maybe more than some people twice their age but I looked forward to the dances with deep meaning and i can’t see how that will translate well with kids dancing. I don’t have kids and I hate that television is targeting a younger and younger audience. If this is the last season it’s a shame and if it’s not I really hope they bring back the old format next year or I will continue to not watch it. I am very upset as this was the highlight of my summer tv programs. Very disappointed.

• Jimmy Crain says:

Um from what I saw they did tell some of them that their audition was not good enough to come back next year. So busted your false statement wide open.

41. pshow says:

A sad progression in the morphing of a fine original show through ratings inspired creatively bankrupt changes to THIS! The first couple of seasons were “must watch” appointment television, then became a “regular” show in the family shows . . . However, this product is “must engage remote control” . . . anyone have suggestions as to what else to watch during the time-slot?

42. Alex says:

I can not believe they changed something awesome into something so childish and corny. The kids are good but never at the level that the older contestants were. I will not be watching any of these episodes. I saw episode 1 and immediately turned it off after as it felt like a kids show now…

43. Elisa Lotti says:

Just took the show off the DVR. Loyal viewers- not any more… So disappointed.

44. Shakira says:

You have effectively robbed me of one of the loves of my life. I have stuck around with all the changes but you have now effectively lost my husband and I. The kids are great, but not at all what I have grown to love the show for. The best reality show on the air has totally broken my heart.

45. Jeanette Mazzola says:

I wasn’t happy with how the changed last season to street v. stage and now this year is the worst. I am so disappointed. Why couldn’t they do what American Idol had done one year and had a special show for SYTYCD Juniors like they did with AI Juniors. So now I no longer have American Idol to watch and I don’t have this show either.

46. Nikki says:

If I wanted to watch little kids with attitude dance, I would watch reruns of Dance Moms. So disappointed in this format change. So long SYTYCD!

47. AMAL says:

I hate this format and from last season I hate the new panel bring back the fun old SYTYCD :(

48. Mando says:

It was bad last season, and from what I watched last night this season seems destine to be worse. The concept of “street” vs “stage” was a disaster with less talented individuals being kept on. I won’t waste my time or recording space. Goodbye SYTYCD!!!!!

49. Dave says:

I hated when they introduced the All-Stars concept, hated when they removed the ballroom! In fact, none of the tweaks they’ve made have ever improved the show, so I’ve now removed it from my DVR recording list. Well played NL.