NBC Renews Jennifer Lopez’s ‘Shades of Blue’ for Season 2

Shades of Blue renewed season 2
Courtesy of NBC

NBC has picked up a second season of Jennifer Lopez’s cop drama “Shades of Blue,” Variety has learned.

Though the early renewal comes right after the show’s lowest ratings came in for its fifth episode last night, the pickup comes as no surprise, given Lopez’s star power and “Shades of Blue” still-strong performance as one of NBC’s biggest debuts in recent years.

In its first three telecasts, “Shades of Blue” averaged a 2.5 rating in 18-49 and 11.2 million viewers overall, according to Nielsen’s “live+3” estimates, standing as one of the most time-shifted programs on television during this time. Thanks in part to no competition from ABC’s “How to Get Away With Murder,” “Shades” gave NBC its first Thursday-at-10 wins with in-season regular programming over original competition on ABC and CBS since March 2010 in the demo and since March 2008 in total viewers.

“We want to thank Jennifer, who is the hardest-working woman we know, for her incredible efforts as both the star and producer of this show, as well as well as our other amazing producers and cast for all their tireless work in creating one of the most compelling dramas on television today,” said Jennifer Salke, NBC’s entertainment president. “We’re so excited to find out where this story will lead and have them raise the stakes even higher in what we know will be a fantastic second season.”

NBC did not announce the number of episodes for the second season, though the first season landed a straight-to-series 13-episode order back in early 2014. With Lopez’s busy schedule —  juggling her film career, music career, “American Idol” (though that wraps this spring) and now her Las Vegas residency — it seems likely the sophomore season would have a similar episodic count to accommodate the star.

Lopez stars alongside Ray Liotta in the cop drama, in which she plays Harlee Santos, a single mother and detective at the heart of a tight-knit crew of Brooklyn detectives, led by enigmatic Lt. Matt Wozniak (Liotta), who often leads the team to step outside the limits of the law in order to effectively protect their precinct and their own. Drea de Matteo, Dayo Okeniyi, Vincent Laresca, Hampton Fluker and Sarah Jeffery round out the cast, in addition to recurring guest star Santino Fontana.

Lopez pulls double duty as an exec producer, along with Ryan Seacrest, Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas, Nina Wass, her longtime manager Benny Medina, showrunner Jack Orman and show creator Adi Hasak. Barry Levinson directed the first two episodes of the first series.

The renewal marks the third freshman series to land an early pickup at NBC, joining another female-led drama, “Blindspot,” plus “Chicago Med.” Also already renewed for the 2016-17 season at NBC: “The Blacklist,” “Law & Order: SVU,” “Chicago Fire” and “Chicago P.D.”

“Shades of Blue” hails from Universal Television, Nuyorican Productions, EGTV, Ryan Seacrest Productions and Jack Orman Productions.

1. Lynn Baumgartner says:

My Husband and I got Hooked on the series and Can’t WAIT till it comes BACK On we both LOVED it and we know we will enjoy this next season Thank You for bringing it back On

2. Ed Buttermore says:

Watched the first season and now that we know she’s wearing a wire are the writers of that show ever going have episodes where they solve crimes. It will wear thin quick with that SOS!!! They are wasting good acting talent.

3. Regina Bryant says:

I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE NEW SEASON OF “SHADES OF BLUE”

4. Ruth says:

Looking forward to it being back on.. Good show … JLow is great

5. Ruth says:

I glad the show is back .. Like it a lot

6. Lizanne Whitlow says:

Thoroughly enjoyed this program and will be watching season 2.

7. Lucy says:

Looking forward to its return.

8. taylor says:

I noticed the little dig in the article from Becky but how to get away with murder is in a class of its own it’s never been done before so therefore shades of blue couldn’t compete even if it tried the thing that made shades of blue popular was that you had a female cop lead Jennifer Lopez and also her being a Latina backed by the awesome acting of Ray Liotta wasn’t anything special no not really but it did show a different type of female character or protagonist which was much different from SVU

9. Susan Schall says:

I want shades of blue to return its the greated show!!!! one of the best show on televisions, the greatest actors ever…….I will be greatly disappointed if this show doesn’t return…….number one fan, Susan Schall from florida a originally from NY and NJ

10. Bye Felecia says:

I predicted Fablife would be cancelled and so will mediocre JLo!! She needs ways to stay relevant by using boy toys and pretending she can act/sing!!

11. Guest says:

Liotta was the star power. Jennifer was good too.

12. Missy Maiden says:

I’ve got to say I really like this show it’s very consistent and worth my time!!!

13. Connie Sue Balderas says:

Just Love my JLo and shades of blue hurry back. Cant wsit till season 2 Good Job Jennifer! Muah😍

14. Louise Page says:

I love Shades of Blue, as a matte of fact I’ve become addicted to this program. The story keeps me coming back for more. Please assure me that there definitely be a second season. The actors, each one of them, are terrific. And Jennifer Lopez is amazing.

15. Jo says:

My husband and I won’t miss it. Who ever says it is not good there is something wrong with them. Face it. It is down to earth. It also happens in real life. They just don’t tell it to the public.

16. Sunshine says:

The only person I don’t particularly like is agent Stahl. He creeps me out and his severe underbite is distracting. I don’t think he’s very good for the role. Everyone else is fantastic! It’s so well done, I forget they are acting.

17. Sunshine says:

I think Shades of Blue was a great show. Lopez, Liotta and the rest of the cast were amazing! The plot and acting was phenomenal.

18. Shepard Daniels says:

The best cop show next to Chicago PD. Great cast ,Ray Liotta still a helluva actor.

19. Laura Schneider says:

This show is intense. I mean seriously intense. I just want there to be more right about the police crew than wrong. Because if they are mostly bad, I cease to care about them. Way too far over the line and the line snaps. Jennifer Lopez and Ray Liotta are insanely talented. AND I want to see Jennifer Lopez’s Las Vegas show as well.

20. Cheercoach9900 says:

I’m so HAPPY SHADES OF BLUE IS BEING RENEWED BY NBC😎👍‼️ Jennifer Lopez is an amazing actress, singer. and the haters can not watch the show‼️ Every episode I was wanting more and couldn’t wait til the next episode👍 Ray Liotta and JLo work really well together and the rest of the actors (crew) are awesum also😎 I just watched the finale of season 1 and can’t wait til season 2 starts hopefully soon😎‼️

21. Rita Gyomber says:

Yay !!! I love Shades of Blue !!! I think Jennifer Lopez and Ray Liotta are great in the series ! All the actors are great !! The writing is realistic . I’ve viewed each episode twice , in case I missed a phrase. I’m so glad they will have another season !! 😊👍🏼🙋

22. OMG BEST SHOW EVER LOVE IT THANKS TO JENNIFER LOPEz. Glad it was renewed

23. mary says:

Loved the series, and really glad it will be back. I think J Lo plays the part really well. She’s good.

24. Mare says:

Can’t hardly wait for the 2nd season to start. I hope it’s real soon.

25. Mare says:

Fantastic show. It keeps you on the edge of your seat. So refreshing and great characters.

26. Vera Bennett says:

Jo is beautiful & awesome

27. Cathy bird says:

When does season 2 of shades of blue start????

28. D. Perry says:

Love SOB. Makes my Thursday nights worth staying up. Thanks for renewing it NBC.

29. Amber willis says:

I love shades of blue please dont end me n my husband look forward to thursday night i love you jenniffer lopez

30. Darlene says:

Absolutely LOVE this show.. looking forward to more… more … more…

31. Sandy Howe says:

I have never been a fan of JLo but I am addicted to her show. “Shades of Blue”
    Liotta one of the greats in Hollywood. Great chemistry between Liotta and Jlo. Great show. A lot of good actors on the show. Love the name Santos. Lol my first name and no I am not a male.

32. Ruthie says:

Tsk, tsk Sonia! You’re such a lady using that verbiage! However, you are entitled to your opinion. For me, I LOVE this show! LOVE the “chemistry” between Harley and Detective Stahl. I hope these two have a relationship! They look and work great together. Ray is awesome and very powerful! THANK you NBC!! Keep this show going for years to come!!!

33. Sonia says:

NBC just messed up big time by renewing this sorry ass show. I knew from the first commercials this would be bad. Jennifer Lopez should stick to her singing and Vegas show and stay out of prime time television. At least we have more of a choice to watch or not when her movies are in theaters. I see cancelation in mid second season. I feel sorry for Ray Liotta for the grave mistake he made of being a part of this show as the same shock for Drea de Matteo to sign on to something this horrific.

• Cheercoach9900 says:

Well thank goodness YOUR NOT PART OF NBC AND YOU CAN GO HATE ON SOME OTHER SHOW‼️ Why must haters try to spread their negativity? I guess u have nothing else to do in your life and that’s sad. I can’t wait til SHADES OF BLUE KEEPS RENEWING‼️‼️

34. Miguel says:

Did she steal that badge and gun from a cop? Next.

35. Steve Rogers "Welcome to Mr. Rogers Neighborhood" says:

Poor J. Lo making her own sleazy tv show, trying to be another 50 Shades of Grey! Who plays Harlee Santos Mr. Christian Blu? Like Josh Hartnett ?? Come on people, no more reboots/rip offs! Like MacGuyver, Agent Carter’s Dog Ruff, or Limitlessness….

36. P.Lazaro says:

This series is AMAZING! Jennifer and Liotta are great! good acting, great story!