Angie Harmon to Make ‘Rizzoli & Isles’ Directorial Debut on 100th Episode (EXCLUSIVE)

Angie Harmon directing Rizzoli & Isles
Jim Smeal/BEI/Shutterstock

Rizzoli & Isles” is coming to an end, but not before Angie Harmon hits a major milestone. The star of TNT’s police procedural is set to direct the 100th episode, Variety has learned exclusively.

“I have always wanted to direct and I think when one has been in this business as long as I have, it’s a natural progression,” Harmon tells Variety. “I’ve directed before and it is something I enjoy tremendously.”

The project Harmon previously directed was a short film, titled “Stockholm,” which shot in Nashville. But sitting in the director’s chair on “Rizzoli & Isles” has always been on her to-do list. The drama is ending after its seventh season and the show, on which Harmon stars alongside Sasha Alexander, will hit its 100-mark on the eighth episode of Season 7. The show is currently in the midst of Season 6, which wraps in March.

“I have always wanted to direct an episode of ‘Rizzoli & Isles,’ but the timing has never worked out because of my shooting schedule,” Harmon says. “I’m in almost every scene so it was always difficult to prep an episode before and then scout and plan shots for the episode I would direct.”

Storyline details for the 100th episode have not been made available yet, but it’s safe to assume that Harmon’s ample screen time won’t be decreased as one-half of the starring duo, but with the final season on the horizon, she’s now ready to take on the challenge. The episode she’s directing is set to shoot this May.

“We are all truly blessed to have had this show go on for as long as it has. I can honestly say I have grown more as a person, actor and grateful member of this community in the past six years than I have in my entire life,” Harmon says, adding that she enjoys directing because it has a different sort of freedom than acting.

As for the long-running show coming to an end, Harmon says what she’ll miss the most is her character Jane Rizzoli, plus her cast and crew.

“On almost every one of my projects, I make sure that we establish a family atmosphere early on and we have certainly become one. We have been through hell as a unit and we have had our celebrations as well,” she shares. “When a show ends and an actor is asked to leave a character, to me, it’s like a death. That is a person that has existed but I will never see her again. It’s a person that I have come to love and know and she will be gone. Forever. Endings are always difficult for me and this one will probably my hardest. I say that because I like Jane very much. I like who she is as a person, her ethics, her morals, her values, struggles, her integrity. I would be friends with Jane if she was real.”

Though the series wrap will be tough for Harmon — and the show’s passionate fanbase — one thing is certain: with directing being checked off her bucket list, she should have no regrets.

1. Edward Brien says:

Ahh Ms Harmon, As a long time fan of the show, i have but one question to ask. Soooo will there there be a R & I movies, and if not why not?
    Riz as a FBI agent seems like a good next transition with Isle cameos yeah? Oh Yeah.
    I wish all of you good luck of course and for heaven sakes don’e become a Bond girl :) although you could pull it off, no pun intended.
    A new avenger character maybe? MMMMM that would work.
    I wish you all well and want to thank you for filling our homes with the action, mystery intrigue and of course the very natural humor the whole cast brought to the show.
    be well
    Ed Brien

2. I love the show. We have watched it from beginning to end. I’m sad to see it ending. It was good to watch a show that had feeling, good guys win, no cussing and sex all the time it is a great show! Thank you😌 I was hoping you would go to the FBI and start a spin off. You are a star. I hope you don’t give up acting all together. I wish you well in directing, but again please don’t always stay back behind the cameras. You are a great star☺ Thank you for a great show. Your fan Cheryl Bernhart

3. Graham says:

She is a narcisistic idiot who thinks the show is all about her, Her episode is going to suck. Funny how her popularity has dropped and Sasha’s increased, I bet that just really annoys the hell out of her and that unattractive pally of hers.

4. Sheila says:

I think this Is the undercover prison episode. I don’t know what to expect, the show has seemed way too much of her for a while now and not enough of the other one, if she is directing one would hope her part would be minimal as she would be busy directing, BUT if it an episode about Jane going undercover in a prison it is probably going to be an awful lot of Jane. I am just afraid this season is going to suck like the last. This new show runner seems to think people got hooked on the show for the cop aspect of it and the B characters which, in my case, couldn’t be further from the truth.

5. Brandi says:

I really can’t believe they allowed her to direct the 100th episode, a little ridiculous considering her background. The new show runner must have a crush, as someone below stated, no experience, did not go to school for it, can’t act, what makes her think she can direct.

• Keri Caye says:

You’re a fool for saying that Brandi..She’s had over 300 Credits and directing isn’t hard after you’ve spent that many years starring. And, I WAS IN her 100th show, her last episode she directed. She did great…..and was very excited of her accomplishment……….

• Brandi says:

No, you just drank the kook-aid, all one has to do is watcher to see her acting is less than par, and all of those credits were mostly for minor roles, she only has had the co-lead on this smallish show, and she has NO education or background in directing. i am not expecting much at all, I wish the old show runner was there, she would never have allowed such.

6. Gina B. says:

Wow, what’s with all the negativity people? I honestly have to say these comments are kind of creepy and definitely over the top…I’m actually embarrassed for you. Angie Harmon is a beautiful, talented person and seems to be just as beautiful on the inside, not to mention a great mom and humanitarian, or do you think her work with UNICEF is also for personal gains…unbelievable!! I will miss this show and all it’s stars very much. Thanks for seven great years!

• ANNICK says:

I completely agree with you. The show is fantastic, great crew and probably a good atmosphere on the set. Please turn off the button if you don’t like…

7. quest says:

that dress was ugly, I will not be watching

8. Alex says:

After last nights episode I don’t even think they deserve a 100th episode. And I have been very dissatisfied with the character of Jane this season and I think it has something to do with Angie being able to do as she pleases, look at that ridiculous dress last night, that was Angie not Jane, so I really would prefer they got a real director for the episode and not allow Angie to just roll over everyone.

9. Jw says:

I disagree with almost everyone. Love the show, think all the cast is great, the story lines are warm, funny, exciting, entertaining. Am very disappointed the show is ending. If you don’t want to watch, turn on something else, but please leave the shows I love alone. There are many “popular” shows that I think are embarrassing, and I can’t understand why anyone would ever watch them. But, I understand that people have different tastes. If I don’t like a show, I watch another one. If there aren’t any on TV, I watch Netflix. As to Angie directing, why not? Maybe Sasha has encouraged her. Really, do any of you know these people personally, or do you just enjoy being mean?

• Brandi says:

You must have very low expectations, there wasn’t a good episode in season six, and season 5 only had 2 or 3, since Nash took over the show has been awful. And it has been too completely one-sided for Angie, it has been all about Jane.

10. T.C. says:

Harmon gets her kid a scene on the show, now she is directing an episode….. WOW! Alexander has kids and directing experience, wonder what they will do for her.
    I loved this show in the beginning, but somewhere along Season 5 the show became too centered around Jane and the Rizzoli’s for my taste. I am so not a fan of Angie Harmon anyway, and now it’s like all you see on screen is Jane. The show is called Rizzoli and Isles but you see so much more of the entire Rizzoli family than you do of Maura. A bunch of blue collar bums hanging out at Maura’s place, walking in and out without knocking like they own the place!. Angela move out all ready! GAH!!!

And don’t think for one second that the fans didn’t notice that there is a rift going on between the two. Alexander probably fed up with Jane being the enter of things all the time.

• Alex says:

I am so sick of Angie Harmon, I know this is a little nothing show, but I liked it once upon a time, but this current show runner has such a pathetic crush on Angie that now all we get is Jane Rizzoli and family, all Angie Harmon almost every scene, and she really isn’t that great of an actress, mediocre at best, but such complete favoritism that it makes a viewer sick. Sasha Alexander is a much better actress but good old Nash nose dived the show into cancellation because she can’t get enough of AH, regardless if the viewers have had enough. And now, hey lets give old unqualified Harmon the job of directing the 100th episode, what is she sleeping with Jan, what’s the deal, she has no qualifications and no background in directing, so please just give us a break TNT and Warner, why not fire that idiot (JN) who can not tell Angie no, and let the final season be something enjoyable again, you think maybe you could get somebody qualified to be executive producer, oh I know Angie would be hounding you night and day to give her a shot, but, please spare the audience the crap that R&I has become now that it is the Angie Harmon show and give us a good final season.

• Susan says:

I know right, Maura is more the wealthy socialite who has an extremely close friendship with someone more blue-collar, which kind of makes it unusual and fun to watch, but the writers keep throwing the entire blue-collar family down the viewers throats. I don’t want to see every Maura and Jane scene at Maura’s house with a member of Jane’s family, and I wish the freeloader would move out, enough is enough, as you stated it is Rizzoli and Isles not Rizzoli and Family.

But, more to the point about AH getting to direct, it appears the Rizzoli prominence is because of the AH prominence, I don’t know what she is doing or how she did it, but, again enough is enough, I much prefer Alexander and I am getting to where I can’t stand Harmon, as you stated, her child got a part and she gets to direct, I want Alexander to get the same opportunities. It may or may not be Harmon’s fault that she is getting such preferential treatment, but, still I can’t help but hoping she dwindles into complete obscurity after the show ends.

11. Kristi says:

Wow! Sasha Alexander has a film degree from one of the most prestigious schools in the country, USC, knows directing and producing, and Angie Harmon with no degree, didn’t even go to college, has no background in directing whatsoever, gets to direct the 100th episode of a show they are both leads on, WHY???? Maybe as a poster mentioned below they are giving Sasha the series finale, hope so, otherwise I don’t understand it.

• Marline says:

My suggestion is to grow up and go home to NC and raise your girls the right way, this being me first and family 2nd has made me sick on how many want a bes keep screwing up their kids lives and their marriages.

12. marie says:

I watch these last two shows and angie is not funny,

13. Susan says:

Good for her. I wonder if Sasha Alexander will get to direct an episode in the last season, it would be so awesome if she got to do the series finale.

14. Robbie says:

I really get sick of her, I started watching because of her, but, she is too prominent this season, could do with a little less Jane and her family. Maybe she will be minimal in screen time if she is directing. Also, maybe we will see how she directs the Jane and Maura friendship, close or distant as it has been shown all of season 6.

15. quest says:

I agree marie, the guys are better actors, too

16. Marie says:

Maybe if she is directing hopefully her screen time WILL be decreased, as she is only one of the leads and currently has 75% of the screen time, I would really appreciate an episode centered more around Maura and showing off Sasha’s talents. I notice how she states she is going to miss *her* cast and crew, again 2 lead show, maybe she should say the cast and crew.