‘Reign’ to End After Upcoming Fourth Season on The CW

Reign cancelled
Courtesy of CW

Reign” will no longer be reigning over the CW — after next season, that is.

Sources tell Variety that Season 4 of the historical fantasy series, which begins in Feb. 2017, will be its last.

The fourth season is currently still in production, so the team behind “Reign” will be able to work on a series finale, knowing that it will be the final episode, giving fans a real conclusion to the story of Mary Queen of Scots. Insiders say that conversations about the show’s possible ending have been ongoing with producers, so the decision to make this season the last were not totally unexpected.

“Reign” follows the early days of Mary Queen of Scots, who is played by Adelaide Kane. The cast is rounded out by Megan Follows, Torrance Coombs, Toby Regbo, Celina Sinden and Anna Popplewell.

The show, created by Stephanie Sengupta and Laurie McCarthy, premiered in the 2013-2014 season.

“Reign” wasn’t exactly a ratings powerhouse, even at the beginning of its run: Season 1 began with a 0.8 rating in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic but ended with a 0.4, while the total audience slipped from just under 2 million to 1.24 million. By the end of Season 3, it was averaging around a 0.3 in the demo and under 1 million viewers in Nielsen’s live-same-day ratings.

Season 4 of “Reign” will consist of 16 episodes, so the series finale is tentatively slated for sometime in June. The final season kicks off on Friday, Feb. 10 at 9 p.m.

Oriana Schwindt contributed to this report.

1. Maricela Martinez says:

I’m still watching the show and I love it wish it wouldn’t end !. I hope at a later date they can bring it back. I was so amazed with the great acting and I felt what they all did. Awesome show super sad it canceled I hope it will be picked back up soon. REIGN !!!!

2. noelle renee says:

the ending was so sad and seeing francis was even sadder like i loved him too much and seeing him and mary again at the end was just too much for my fragile heart to handle

3. Susan says:

Awww so sad this show ended!!! I liked it very much and wish they would reconcider a few more seasons.

4. Lillia says:

Really sad this show ended. The 4th season was totally rushed but I still loved it. I wish I could have watched Mary’s entire lifespan and story before her beheading. I’m a little confused on how Vampire Diaires lasted so damn long and not this show lol. Vampire Diaries is the same thing none STOP at least Reign was kinda historical and something new was always happening in court not Damon and Stephen constantly fighting these new enemies and over Ellena. Lmao

5. Jennifer Nutter says:

Just discovered the show, and I love it. So wished it hadn’t ended.

6. B A Smith says:

This is the worst joke of a series I’ve ever seen. What a waste of film and money. This is a far cry from a fantasy series. Nothing new, everything stolen from other series. It actually makes me laugh out loud. Terrible filming. Hilarious mistakes. Music a joke too.
    Really bad.

7. Sonja says:

Don’t end this show. I was learning a lot and loving the show. The ending was AWFUL!!!!!!

• Abby says:

The ending was sort of accurate. She was beheaded after fleeing Scotland under the “protection” of Queen Elizabeth. Elizabeth was pressured by her council to behead Mary, as she would always be seen as a threat. Probably the most accurate part of the show. Her son James did take the throne of England and did unite England and scotland.

8. Morgan Poore says:

Please don’t cancel this show CW! It is sooo good and there could be so many more seasons of reign! Don’t end it like this! Ugh. The finale sucked, so many questions that will go unanswered UNLESS YOU BRING IT BACK!

9. Torah says:

She honestly got her head cut off so idky y’all are mad.. what else was supposed to happen???

10. Mai says:

BRING THIS SHOW BACK!!!!!! I just got into this show on Netflix and binged it for 3 weeks and I’m almost done with season 4 and now to learn there’s no season 5!!!! WTF!!!!! Another network should take them over!!!

11. Lin says:

My all time favorite show and the finale was horrible. I was do sad. It seemed like they got canceled mid season. It was abrupt and not very informative.

12. Celine says:

Wow, I am really upset Reign actually ended. It is definitely the best show on CW and Netflix. 4 seasons definitely wasn’t enough!!!!!!!! :(

13. Melanie says:

What a disappointment. This was an awesome show and I loved watching it. The show ended with so many unanswered questions. Not a very good move CW. You need to fix this. Go back and write a sequel leading up to the end to fill in the blanks of every other cast member.

14. Alissa says:

Nooooooo. I never wanted this story to end. The ending made me so disappointed. I loved this story, but the ending was so disappointing. There were so many ways of ending it. But you’ve chose that way. 😬😒 OMG. The story was going so great until the end……you got tired of it , so you just ended it too fast. I can’t believe this. I write books. I may not be a published author , but even I know you should not end a series like you just did for Reign. There were so many better ways to end it..but you went to the worst way possible! Worst of all ! You left it with so many questions ! I’m so disappointed in CW for this. It’s like you did it again just like your other series. I am never watching a series from CW anymore!

15. JJ says:

LATE RESPONSE BUT……..That was unexpected to have the queens finally have a reason to live to fight survive, lead us on as watchers. CW basically wrote a begin of a new chapter and got tried of trying to find an ending and just said forget it they will all die and the end. This is not the first show they did like this and this will not be the last I don’t think I’m going to be watching anymore CW shows.

16. Amy McCracken says:

I am sad the show was canceled! They could have continued the story lines a lot longer. I see a lot of comments like people are shocked she was beheaded, sad Frances died, etc. you all do realize this is historical fiction?! Like this is based on actual people, right? They took some liberties for the drama but they couldn’t not kill Mary in the end. It’s what really happened!!!

17. Autumn says:

I have been obsessed with this show and I am so angry about the ending! So much unresolved!

18. Autumn says:

I have been obsessed with this show and I a mess so angry about the ending! So much unresolved!

19. Good show Not so good ending. Wish it was not cancelled…Damn CW!

20. Valerie Jayne Carter says:

I felt like the show was moving along with a good storyline and all of sudden we got to end. Better kill her off so it ends. Poorly written ending.

21. Valerie Jayne Carter says:

I also am upset it’s over. It should not be ended – this was my favorite show in years. I hated the ending.

22. Steph says:

So upset the show ended! I wasn’t even aware until the last episode and it totally caught me off gaurd! I always wait for seasons to end so I can watch them at my own pace on Netflix!! I feel like a lot of people record or wait for the shows on Netflix. CW needs to change the way they rate their shows!!

• Amanda sneed says:

I completely agree. I do the exact same thing. I binge watch. This is by far my very most favorite series. Only moments ago did I finish the final episode. Very very disturbing ending. Things were just getting good. Mary was reclaiming her independence. I wanted her and Elizabeth to become allies. King Charles was on a new path. And what of his sister? Does she not get to finally be loved? So many lose ends.

23. I’m so sad Reign is over. I watched the last episode last night without realizing it was the final show until the ridiculous fast paced last 10 minutes. My mouth dropped open. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show and wish somehow it could be brought back, make the last part a dream or something. Or Netflix take it over. Please bring back.

24. Michelle Diaz says:

I am very heartbroken that the series is canceled! I loved the show very much, it was really addicting but I am not satisfied with how they ended it!! I feel they left it off with too many questions unanswered and just gave it a conclusion that had very little detail and was very abrupt.

25. Missy says:

Please continue with reign, there is so much to tell….im so sad to hear there will not be a 5th season

26. Michelle says:

I’m extremely disappointed, I’m am at loss for words and feelings that there will be no more. Look at everybody you are letting down by cancelling Riegn. I’m gonna miss it but thank you for giving us something exciting to watch.

27. Maria says:

I’m seriously upset the show is over and I’m also upset of if they are ending the series how they chose to finish it all…… If viewers opinions matter I’d say that we’d have that show back and running again!

28. Tere says:

Why 😡😡😡

29. Diana says:

That sucks I really enjoy watching Reign I’m addicted to the series.

30. Princess says:

we love Reign” we want more seasons please!!!!!!

31. Ivy says:

I am so sad that this show is cancelled. This is by far my favorite tv series, and Megan Follows one of my favorite actresses since I was young. I don’t have cable and have to wait for it to be put up on Netflix, so the CW definitely needs to take this into consideration when thinking about viewers. Change your system to fit the generations. I have lived without cable for 2 years now because of Netflix.

32. Tiffany says:

Please come back with more series I absolutely love it and when I heard it was the last episode I was devastated, I love all the characters and love the storyline so very well done to all the cast and directors , gonna miss watching reign :(

33. I loved the series! but I can see when the ratings started to slip because after the second season it started to get really dark and continued on. If I’m not mistaken there was a brief time around the second or third season when it was iffy about going on or canceling because of something and it seems as though when the third or fourth season started back is where there was a notable difference in the story. More sex, more violence and more witchcraft, which was in my opinion, it’s down fall. But I was hooked then and finished watching till the end. Even though I had second thoughts. Still loved it!

34. zaena nunez says:

So upset that reign has had its last episode. I found the tv series wonderful.. From one who loves history and came to love the show. I am not happy with the ending of the characters, like mary and many others. I enjoyed every TV series and wish there wasn’t a ending anytime soon.. It left me with many questions..I wish her son came just in time nd every thought that mary had was just last thoughts of her expected death…of what could be. Well again.. I love the TV series REIGN everything about it..just a little sensitive with the religion but everything else was GREAT wish there was more to come

35. Jeff says:

It was far and away the best show on CW…. How it wasn’t getting the ratings just doesn’t make any sense to me!

But then they always seem to cancel good shows and yet crap doesn’t get canceled??? I must have weird taste!!!

36. Linda maranto says:

I am hoping this was not the end. Terrible ending. My favorite person…Queen Mary being beheaded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope she is having a nightmare!

• Adrian says:

Well it was going to end with her being beheaded if they wanted to stay remotely historically accurate. But there was so much left to tell for sure… it’s like they fast forwarded 3 or 4 additional seasons and just showed the ending clip of the last season finale or something lol

37. Diane Baki says:

Should never have been cancelled! I enjoy shows that bring you to a different time period especially the past which most people know nothing about.

38. Dehlia says:

Should NEVER have gotten rid of Francis! Climbs is okay but Regbo was the show!

39. Mary says:

I was really into it, I loved it

40. Shusha says:

Unbelievable 😢!!! An hour ago I sat down and watched Reign as I do every week, and I realized it was the final episode of the series.
    Why??????? Every week I look forward to watch another episode. Such a good TV show and excellent actors. And to make things even worse, the last episode sucks!!! Such a disappointment 😡😡😡
    Makes you wonder if it was written by different writers.

BRING IT BACK!!! We can all pretend that the last 2 episodes didn’t happen…

😣😣😣

41. Eloise Bates says:

Well, this is sad. An excellent historical series, beautifully shot and they can’t wait to end it.

42. Andrea says:

I am REALLY bummed that Reign was cancelled and very disappointed how they ended it so abrupt like that! I’ve watched it from the beginning and loved everything about it! VERY upset that it’s over.. I’m sick of all this stupid reality crap and other nonsense stuff flooding our televisions.

43. susan jackson says:

it was a very well written show but the rating system needs to change for more people are recording their favorite shows and watching them later when more convenient to them ,plus some of their favorite shows are on at same time and other nights there.s nothing worth watching so we record. a lot of good shows like castle, grimm andnow this are canned but are very good and you bring tv stations bring on lousy shows

44. Tina says:

This was the best show on cw. It should have been on the more popular channels. It was so well written and the cast, especially Adelaide Kane, were extraordinary! Please bring it back!

45. Alyssa love says:

I love reign to much. I find it Interesting to watch and I don’t appreciate the way it ended. I really wish the series carried on it sucks to see it stop.I hope you guys find another way to carry the series on.

46. Jackie says:

I am so sad I love reign I have watched it from the beginning I cannot believe how you ended its sucked hopefully somebody else will pick it up please pick it up

47. Christa DeLora says:

I am sorry disappointed that Reign was cancelled and to make it worse the it had a terrible ending. My son and I love shows like Regin, White Queen, White Princess and Black Sails. It is so hard to find good shows on tv these days. All these trashy reality shows are invading the network as well as dumb shows like Modern Family, Claws, Baby Daddy. Freeform has some of the worst tv shows. Reign could have had a better ending…

• Kim says:

It ended as it should for Mary ! She was beheaded .
      The story could have go on , the Tudor Reign was just building such momentum and power. I would have liked to see Elizabeth going further and the child of Mary well it would’ve been nice to see what was the outcome if he was either killed or lived I don’t know . So sad as well , this Family will miss Reign 🌹

48. Joann says:

Series finale was awful. I had high hopes for Reign when I began watching it but was sooo disappointed in the ending. This show could have gone on for several seasons but instead ended abruptly with no warning. Loved the show, hated the ending.

49. Debster says:

Very upset this is over!

50. that figures! but why bring in another daughter at the end if you dont intend to go on with the show???/ i hate you killed mary!!!!! I LOVE THIS SHOW i hope someone else picks it up!!