‘Reign’ to End After Upcoming Fourth Season on The CW

Reign cancelled
Courtesy of CW

Reign” will no longer be reigning over the CW — after next season, that is.

Sources tell Variety that Season 4 of the historical fantasy series, which begins in Feb. 2017, will be its last.

The fourth season is currently still in production, so the team behind “Reign” will be able to work on a series finale, knowing that it will be the final episode, giving fans a real conclusion to the story of Mary Queen of Scots. Insiders say that conversations about the show’s possible ending have been ongoing with producers, so the decision to make this season the last were not totally unexpected.

“Reign” follows the early days of Mary Queen of Scots, who is played by Adelaide Kane. The cast is rounded out by Megan Follows, Torrance Coombs, Toby Regbo, Celina Sinden and Anna Popplewell.

The show, created by Stephanie Sengupta and Laurie McCarthy, premiered in the 2013-2014 season.

“Reign” wasn’t exactly a ratings powerhouse, even at the beginning of its run: Season 1 began with a 0.8 rating in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic but ended with a 0.4, while the total audience slipped from just under 2 million to 1.24 million. By the end of Season 3, it was averaging around a 0.3 in the demo and under 1 million viewers in Nielsen’s live-same-day ratings.

Season 4 of “Reign” will consist of 16 episodes, so the series finale is tentatively slated for sometime in June. The final season kicks off on Friday, Feb. 10 at 9 p.m.

Oriana Schwindt contributed to this report.

1. I loved this show watch it on Netflix or downloads or DSTV . to hear it was cancelled i was disappointed . maybe you didnt advertise it more because it didnt have lgbrtq stuff in it . the problem is that u only count american viewers. how about the rest of us dont we matter ?

2. Kim Glover says:

It to me was of the better shows on the network. The acting was top notch. Will not be tuning in to any of the CW shows.

3. Sara says:

They didn’t poll me. I love this show. The acting, the scenery, the unbelievably gorgeous costumes and the detail to history make it wonderful. So sad to see it go.

4. Irina says:

No wonder they stoped production. This show is so expensive! Outfits alone must cost a small fortune

5. MagicMushroom says:

Spoiler: Mary gets her head chopped off.

6. Darlene Frost says:

Please don’t cancel Reign

7. Lauren N Ghelakis says:

Loved Reign sad to see it go.

8. Yvonne says:

Great series! Watched all 3 seasons in a few days & I’m hooked! Great actors! Can’t wait for season 4. Spreading the word amongst family members to watch, because it’s that good!

9. ranee says:

please we beg you and write in we as family of four are watching this series its just a wonderful show with no unnecessary scenes ,actors who were soo good in acting bringing out the best in them and each episode is so entertaining im from the UK i hv recomended my friends too.i hv not seen any other show more entertaining and interesting as reign is.

10. Cindy says:

I had never heard of this show (hints not enough advertising) I came across it on Netflix looking for Game of Thrones. After watching it, I was hooked, Did all three seasons in about 2+ weeks, now this was a month ago. Now I’m hearing that it’s being canceled……. What a shame. Find a new network that will give more advertising so we aren’t the losers in seeing what happens next!!!!

• Mandy says:

Reign and Supernatural are the only shows on the CW worth watching, why on earth are they cancelling it!

11. Courtney says:

I am so sad to see this show end! It had been nothing short but amazing. I first started watching it on Netflix. I know with the right advertisement, this show would take off. I really hope Netflix picks it up! I really don’t want to see it go! Totally in love with Reign!

12. Mark says:

Have they lost their mind ??? Reign is the best series they have !

13. Angela Harting says:

This is such a great show with fantastic acting. Can’t believe you are cancelling it.
    Give it another change – I have told 8 friends about it and they are all crazy about it. Please don’t take it off.

14. adastra4u says:

The CW network’s poor marketing to this show’s potential target audience is why the show is canceled. I’m sure The CW promo’ed the hell out of Reign at its launch but I don’t watch the channel. I didn’t hear about Reign until it popped up in my Netflix suggestions.

Hopefully new fans will see it on Netflix and if the take rates spike, they will pick up production on the series. This is why networks/channels are dying, they are waiting to see what competition does to evolve their distribution & marketing models. As a result, great shows like Reign get low Nielsen ratings and cancelled.

15. hayjude says:

Why do the stupid channels always cancel the GOOD SHOWS!

16. Paula says:

Please don’t cancel. I love this show.

17. Lori says:

This show need to stay! It is the only decent show with the women in power making moves. Acting is awesome and characters are believable! Please don’t cancel it!

18. Annette Coreano says:

This is such a great show. I started watching this on Netflix and I can’t stop watching it. This really sucks that this show will not continue… love this show!!!

19. Diana says:

I love Reign please don’t cancel the show.

20. Rosemary says:

We would love to see Reign continue. We watch it on Netflix.

21. qqllopes says:

Reign is my fave! I’m so sad about this decision :( There’s History, love, great songs, a wonderful team of actors… I can’t accept the end :(

22. Bev Pittman says:

I am devastated to learn that this is the final season of Reign. But, I guess most of Mary’s story is too tragic and depressing, to make for popular TV viewing. I love the costumes and set, almost as much as the story. Such good-looking actors, too!

23. Sherry says:

I loved Reign I was beginning tolobe it more than any other beside the vampire diaries. Now that it is gone what is there left to see but the originals,reign taught you history as well as wonderful views of castles and costumes and of life of qeeens and kings in the past . We need more of these programs to make young people want to learn history.

24. Too bad it’s ending. One of the few shows out there without a lot of violence or profanity. Why do the decent shows (Grimm, Sleepy Hollow, Reign, etc.) always end while other crappy ones continue? Guess what folks; it’s the older people who stay home and watch tv!!!

25. Chris coffey says:

Love this series. It is one of the few I really enjoy. Keep hoping it will go on…..

26. Donna Zarembski says:

NOOOOOOO! PLEASE DONT, PUT IT ON NETFLIX AS A SERIES !!!

27. katzz10 says:

No, please don’t cancel. The dark humor that comes across is so entertaining…my husband has even started watching it. It is the only show of it’s type that I enjoy…….DON’T CANCEL PLEASE….

28. Pj says:

This is so sad! I love this series and can’t wait for each new season to begin. So tired of the other type of shows out there to choose from. Reign is a refreshing change and offers a bit of history. I do hope another station will pick this show up! To cancel is a huge mistake in my opinion.

29. Claudia says:

You can’t stop this show its soo intresting and amazing this SHOW MUST CONTINUE! It doesnt get the rating it desearves!. i was soo hooked up it cant just end like this it just can’t. #LOYALREIGNFAN !!

30. Pj & Maya says:

My daughter & I love this show! We would LOVE to see it continue! It doesn’t get the ratings it deserves! We initially got hooked by watching season 1 by online streaming, since the CW is normally not a watched station in our home. Please please consider to continue filming this show. Sincerely, forever loyal Reign fans. Hail to Queen Mary, Queen of Scots!

31. mari verkuyl says:

I’m in hopes some other channel pick the series up PLEASE!!!!!

32. Jeff says:

Come on! Who believes no one was watching! EVERYONE WAS WATCHING

33. Morg says:

34. Joan Gutierrez says:

Reign is the best show on tv. I am so sad it will end. I hope someone will pick this up, maybe netflix or prime. It would even make a beautiful big screen movie. The intrigue with each episode make me so anxious to see the next weeks. It is always hard to wait between seasons for it to begin again. I hate to see it leave forever. Please don’t let it end. Keep it going!!

35. Jaye Robb says:

I LOVE this show! I’m a big a fan of historical fiction and period pieces. PLEASE Netflix, pick this up and keep it going!

• Cassie says:

I love this show and the time setting but after doing some late night research a lot of the story is fiction and it depicting real events. Francis died at age 16, it was questioned if Mary and Francis ever consummated their marriage (by having sexual relation) they were married for under a year before Francis passed away. Believe it or not, Mary was wayyyy taller than Francis. :o Elisabeth queen of Spain, Died at 23 (fun fact, Mary was 3 years older than her and they grew up together as best friends). Claude was hunchback and not as pretty as Elisabeth. Mary wasn’t all that pretty either from the look of her real life painted portrait. Obvious that a Tv show for young adult women would want their actors to be beautiful though to captivate an audience.

Just a lot more details that will tell you the true story and I won’t give them away because it will ruin the rest of the show, like it already has for me. :( however it’s fun to do a bit of research. I just wonder If they stuck closer to real events would the show have been more successful? I still love Reign for all that it is and it’s been the perfect historic fiction show.

36. Grace says:

I will really miss the show there’s nothing else that’s has that same drama and mysterious love relationships and action it’s unique

37. Deidra Burleson says:

I sure do wish it was going to continue there is not really any other show out there like this on and I just really enjoy it mystery and love stories what is not to enjoy.

38. Michael says:

I LOVE REIGN, I wish more people would watch this series, my whole family loves it. We live in South Africa and are English descendants at school we are taught International History I loved it. It is really sad that certain countries don’t find international history interesting or shows about it. They only enjoy their own countries history which to me shows ignorance. I am aware that this is a fantasy show based on history. If this show had been launched in the UK & Europe I.m sure it would not be ending after only 4 seasons. You targeted the wrong audience being in America.

39. April says:

Please continue with Reign. There is still so much to tell. Its a good show, not like this other crap that is on. Want more viewers? Take it off Friday nights and advertise it better. I watched it on netflix and have been following it on the CW. Were so busy on Fridays that I can not sit and watch it. However, I watch it later.

40. ARIADNE WOLF says:

I loved this show! I’m sad it’s ending, though I understand because there’s a limited number of stories that can be told with any historical accuracy. I would love to see more like this on the CW!!

41. Janet Ortiz says:

This has been one of the most amazing and enjoyable shows I have ever seen. I looked forward to the night it would be on. I read the tv guide when I thought I might have missed it. The performers are incredible, especially Adelaide Kane, along with all the cast. How I wish it would continue!

42. Suez says:

I adore Reign. I am very sorry that this show is dropped. I hope Netflix conts filming a season 5. Wishful THINKING maybe.

43. Aleena says:

Plzz let reign live! Netflicks take it up plzzzz

44. Lara says:

I beg of you please do not cancel this series!!!??? It’s wonderful to have a series that is involved in telling a historic story line that children do not cover in academics. My children get a lot of education and information as I’m sure other people’s children do! It’s also a wonderful entertaining adult series. This series is so much more that the caddy fighting drama that is most television these day. Cancelling several series that actually teach and are interesting is not the best for society. Please keep this beautiful thing going? And make more like it….for our children and future. Ratings may be down but some people record it and watch it later like I do. Thank you

45. Kristi says:

This will be the last season for game of thrones. I put Reign in the same league. You should not end Reign but rather keep improving on the story like the game of thrones. It is one of the best. Let your viewers know what you decide.

46. Yiks says:

Why only good shows get cancelled? Nothing to watch on TV!
    If the claim is that too small amount of viewers watch it, then it’s because someone doing a bad job at advertising. Who ever watches this show, gets hooked on it and falls in love with it.
    Beautiful people, story, I’m not into fashion but i love the costumes. Whats with you people? How can you cancel such a good show? Thats inane!
    I like the show so much that this is the first and only time i actually wrote a comment about some “show” cancelled.
    Reign deserves another chance, and if you want more viewers then do a better job at PR and advertising it – that simple. Not many people know of it.

47. Candy says:

I love Reign, it is my favorite show ever. I can’t believe they r gonna cancel it. I’m devastaded

48. Jan says:

REIGN is my favorite show on TV, so I am devastated that CW has decided to cancel it! In my 50’s & love the superb acting, the gorgeous costumes & jewelry, the hairstyles, & the beautiful sets & scenery. I DVR it every week & watch it over again b4 next week’s show & inbetween seasons, too! Couldn’t wait for Season 4 to start up again! & was very disappointed when it was delayed starting up. Then I was so excited when it finally started, only to have them upset me immediately by telling us right then & there that this would be the final season! I was crushed!….& still am! I SO wish that they would change their minds & continue REIGN! 👸🏻 However, if it is absolutely impossible to do so, I hope they will at least continue on with shows about other Queens for those of us who are faithful REIGN fans!!

49. Alesha Moore says:

I love this show and will miss it. Why couldn’t they have cancelled Vampire Diaries instead? I quit watching that show almost 2 years ago because it was so ridiculous