‘Preacher’ Renewed for Season 2 at AMC (EXCLUSIVE)

preacher season 2 renewed
Courtesy of AMC

AMC has renewed hit comic book adaptation “Preacher” for Season 2, Variety has learned. The show is currently halfway through its freshman season run of 10 episodes.

The second season will expand to 13 episodes, slated to air in 2017. Based on the cult comic by Garth Ennis and artist Steve Dillon, the co-production from Sony Pictures Television and AMC Studios is the #2 new series on cable this year among adults 18-49 and adults 25-54, and is currently averaging 3.3 million viewers per episode in Nielsen live plus 3 ratings. The supernatural drama was developed by executive producers Evan Goldberg, Seth Rogen and Sam Catlin, with Catlin also serving as showrunner and writer.

“‘Preacher’ is a special television program and we’re eager to share with fans the rest of this wild first season and, now, an expanded second season,” said Charlie Collier, president of AMC, SundanceTV and AMC Studios. “What Sam, Seth, Evan and the entire creative team have achieved in bringing Garth Ennis’ graphic novel to the screen is extraordinary. We look forward to more time with these unforgettable characters be it in Heaven, Hell, Texas or beyond.”

Related

Preacher AMC

‘Preacher’ Recap: Custer Says…

AMC will air a “Preacher” catch-up marathon of the first five episodes from 9 p.m. on Thursday, June 30.

“Preacher” centers around a Texas preacher named Jesse Custer (Dominic Cooper) who is inhabited by a mysterious entity called Genesis that gives him the power to make people do whatever he commands. Once this power attracts the attention of two mysterious angels, Fiore (Tom Brooke) and DeBlanc (Anatol Yusef), Jesse, his badass ex-girlfriend Tulip (Ruth Negga), and an Irish vampire named Cassidy (Joseph Gilgun) are thrust into a crazy world populated by a cast of characters from Heaven, Hell and everywhere in between. The series also stars Lucy Griffiths, W. Earl Brown, Derek Wilson and Ian Colletti.

Executive producers are Catlin, Rogen, Goldberg, James Weaver, Neal H. Moritz, Ori Marmur, Vivian Cannon, Jason Netter and Ken F. Levin.

“Preacher” airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on AMC.

1. The Preacher series was very interesting and I’m glad to hear it’s back on TV. Really different from lots of things on the Box. Thanks to whoever picked it up.

2. Glenda Cartwright says:

I’m not into shows like this BUT this one is FANTASTIC. Can’t wait for season 2

3. Diane says:

To those who complain, I’ll remind them that Game of Thrones isn’t the same as the book either and I think it’s safe to say it’s wildly successful, just as the books are. Instead of simply getting one interpretation of Game of Thrones, you can enjoy both and even discuss differences. The same applies to this hilariously raunchy series that has a charm all its own. :) I can’t wait for the 2nd season!

4. Carl says:

After reading the comics and having now reviewed the televised first season of Preacher. I can honestly say the show and comic aren’t similar in any respect. The comic is a beer guzzling crotch grabbing bitch of a ride. The tv show has missed out iconic characters, plots and moments which should have been kept in. lets put it this way, in the comic arseface blows his head off as he was inspired by Kurt Cobain, which I believe paints his character differently. For people who prefer their whisky with coke watch the show. for those who dont, read the comic.

5. Lisa says:

Regardless of what others say, and I haven’t read the comic, I Love the show!! Can’t wait until season 2 starts!

6. Mike W says:

That motel room fight was classic great fun –

7. Lisa says:

I really enjoy this show and I’m glad it was renewed for a second season! Can’t wait to start watching again.

• Mike W says:

Same here, Lisa. I have to DVR the show because my wife cannot bear to see the violence, etc. I then watch it in the early morning hours while she sleeps. I can skip the commercials that way, too.

I like the Saint of Killers. One mean guy pushed too far.

8. great news.i love this show,beats the brain dead by numbers shows around . you have to actualy follow it,which will piss the brain deads off,but good news for people who want something obscure. love it.

9. Steve Bodiford says:

Anything with Seth Rogen at the helm deserves no attention whatsoever. Dare one be reminded of the Green Hornet disaster?

10. I watched this from the beginning but it was just too obscure and very difficult to follow. I stopped taping after the 3rd show. I usually love a Psycho-Drama.

11. Great news ^_^ I am a huge fan of the comics and have loved the majority of what I have seen of the TV series. Long may it continue.

How does Preacher’s 3.3m viewership compare to other shows in that slot?

• zenflo says:

As far as the 3.3 million goes, you might find comparisons on tvbythenumbers”dot”zap2it”dot”com.

Looking at the huge drop-offs for a slate of SyFy shows in their second seasons, we will have to hope that AMC’s better pedigree — and vastly superior writing and production values — will carry Preacher in 2017.

Off topic, I am also enjoying another freshman show, Cinemax’s Outcast, though I wish its name was less similar to Outlander..

12. Can I get a hallelujah!

13. Carlos Custer says:

Thank you God!!!

14. Phew, I was worried we wouldn’t get a chance to see this slow burn pay off! I’m guessing they’ll leave the town at the end of Season 1, then things will really kick off

15. Cris says:

Terrible adaptation of an amazing story. Should have been put out of its misery.

• Dez says:

Because being mature means that something that lots of other people enjoy should be cancelled just because YOU don’t like it. Is that about it, Chris?

• zenflo says:

Well, if you don’t like the TV series Preacher, Cris, you always have your comic books — excuse me, “graphic novels.” Dominic and rest of cast are great; this show rocks!

• I like them both – TV show and the comics. The TV show does things and characters quite differently but it still has the same kind of weirdness which I’m enjoying. The Preacher comics are great and the TV show is a lot of fun. I’m glad it’s coming back for a second season.