‘Person of Interest’ Officially Ending After Season 5

Person of Interest cancelled
Courtesy of CBS

It’s official: following much speculation, “Person of Interest” will conclude after its fifth season, Variety has confirmed.

News of the cancellation comes the same day CBS announced that season five of the crime drama would kick off May 3, meaning it will be just about a year (since May 5, 2015) that it had been off the air. Following its premiere, “Person of Interest” will air both Mondays and Tuesdays at 10 p.m., concluding its run on Tuesday, June 21.

Related

‘Person of Interest Ending After Season 5? J.J. Abrams Says ‘My Guess Is It’s the Final Season’

Today, exec producers Jonathan Nolan and Greg Plageman said in a statement to IGN: “We’re extremely excited to be able share this final season with the fans. We’re eternally grateful to our amazing cast and crew, as well as our partners at the studio and network. Most of all, we want to thank the show’s fans — the best fans in the world. This subversive little paranoia-inducing cyberpunk-thriller is for you and would not have been possible without your support. As life has come to imitate ‘Person of Interest,’ it’s been our great privilege to work on show for the past five seasons. We can’t wait for you to experience this thrilling and final chapter.”

Earlier this year, “Person of Interest” exec producer J.J. Abrams told reporters at the Television Critics Association press tour that the series would likely end after Season 5.

“My guess is it is the final season,” Abrams said. “The only heartbreak there is how much good story there was to come if it were to have continued. Jonah [Nolan] and Greg Plageman have done such an amazing job on that show. I know what these episodes are that they’re done wrapping it up. We don’t yet have a schedule. But I know they will see the light of day…people will get to see these episodes. I know the power of that story. Again, to have a show that goes on as many years as that has, it’s very hard to complain. It’s a miracle to get a show on the air and to have it last that long is something that we should just be grateful for. But I do love that show and I would’ve loved to see that continue.”

Debuting in 2011, “Person of Interest” was created by Jonah Nolan. The series stars Jim Caviezel, Michael Emerson, Amy Acker, Sarah Shahi and Kevin Chapman. When the show premiered, “Empire” star Taraji P. Henson was the lead female in the original cast, before her character’s death in the show’s third season.

1. William says:

One of the best tv shows I have seen in a while and it was a bad move on cbs part to cancel a show that had it all suspense,action,drama and that’s what attracts viewers Carter,Fusco,Reese and the whiz kid finch were all exciting characters it’s just to bad finch was to tentative with the machine and Carter was killed I think they should bring it back

2. Andy says:

It was shit anyway. The women in it were all fake and hard and it was contrived. Why do Americans feel the need to have every cop show with strong female characters, such a fake world.

• Tags says:

Yea because a strong female is more unrealistic than a man who created an all-knowing supercomputer with a mind of its own. Also, Reese is one of the most unrealstic characters I’ve ever seen portrayed on tv. What makes either of these characters more realistic than the others? Fusco and Carter were probably the most believable characters, but then again this is all irrelevant considering the entire premise of the show is science fiction.

3. Tom says:

Too bad one of the best shows on all TV.

4. Ziva David says:

Loved this show, sorry it wasn’t renewed.

5. pat posey says:

donot cancel person of interest one of the best shows on tv

6. Christine says:

Person Of Interest – best show on television, please re-consider…don’t cancel, especially if there is more good story ready if it continues, PLEASE! Thank you!

7. POI says:

Come on please! Bring “Person of Interest” back alive!! We’re all still here!

8. tanya says:

It sucks very bad that person of interest is now finish..why make an end on such a great series..im dissapointed very much..i think it was a super great story..ill miss u guys x

9. Alice says:

Too bad to end such great episodes although. You keep the bad one continue but we always will remember the good work you guys done all the the cast love u all

10. Root says:

Dear person of interest you have been great and lovely all the way….
    I love y’all
    Amy Acker, Sarah Shahi I couldn’t skip an episode because of you two, I love you both exceptionally you guys are the best and the hottest female cast in the cyber movie of all times and to micheal Emerson, Kevin Chapman, Teraji Henson and Jim Caviezel you guys are
    Cool like insanely cool!!!!! We love you all

11. Pedro Miguel says:

Sadly now I am really hurt…its true all things must come to an end
    But I thought this would be an exception to that cliche
    Well for what it’s worth, I enjoyed the show – I loved the show!!!!!
    To Amy Ackers and Sarah Shahi I love you two exclusively and to jim and micheal you two are just the best!!!!
    Remain cool y’all

12. Bereket M Endris says:

Dear Person of Interest,
    I can’t believe this is the end. I’m going to miss you dearly. Thank you for the laughs, the cries, the “holy shit!” moments and most importantly… the lesson that was revealed in the end. But, it’s as the machine said… “if you mean something to someone, if you help someone, or love someone, if even a single person remembers you, then maybe you never really die at all.” Therefore, it doesn’t end for you here because atleast I will always remember you as the greatest show ever. Thanks for making my days brighter, for making me laugh and for making me cry (damn you!!). Thanks for the journey… Good bye!!

• Fred Holtz says:

‘Person of Interest’ was the best show of its kind… (well, since The X-Files”, at least!) “The Blacklist” is almost as good. I hope that too doesn’t get dumped!

13. Barbara Hayden says:

CBS does the stupidest things. Can’t believe they cancelled this show. One of the best, with I’m sure plenty of material left. This mid season crap stinks also. Kills a lot of good show. I guess this was one of the casualties. Like I said STUPID.

14. Johnny L Pry says:

Maybe if tv execs wouldn’t do a six month or more “mid season”, people wouldn’t lose interest in shows. Who ever came up with that long of a “mid season” has their heads up their …..

15. john scheidt says:

There is no reason to end the show this early in it’s life. There are many more reasons to keep it going. The fans and our country deserve better than this.

16. Steve says:

I’m PISSED OFF I loved the show.

17. Fred Holtz says:

“Person of Interest” (along with “The Blacklist” & “The X-Files”) are my personal favorites. There is nothing else that even comes close to them. They should continue indefinitely! (Their casts are all superb actors incidentally. The writing, even though occasionally a tad confusing, likewise superb).

18. Vicki Wilson says:

This one of my favorite shows. I couldn’t wait every week to see what is going to happen.Every time I find a good program I like they cancel it I am praying another network will pick it up. .I don’t know how all these stupid show like Survivor, The Bachelor, and the Biggest Loser have managed to be renewed.

19. Lorrie says:

We, as a family, have watched Person Of Interest since day one.
    & have loved every minute of it. However, We have not like the direction
    the show has taken in the last year with Samaritan. Wish it had stayed on the
    same path in which it started, but we still watched it and
    WOULD LIKE VERY MUCH FOR IT TO CONTINUE. PLEASE

20. Mary Ann G says:

21. Donna Davis says:

We loved the show when it began but this damn habit of playing the music over the dialogue has driven us away. Not all shows do this so it is not just our hearing. First they have the male lead whisper all his lines and then they play music louder and louder over it. Now I ask you, does that make sense?

22. misty says:

I’ve been hooked on Person of Interest from day one! It’s very sad to see such an amazing cast of characters producers and writers being kicked to the curb! I’m just hoping that POI is picked by another network or Netflix!!!! If there’s a petition sign me up. TEAM PERSON OF INTEREST!!!

23. It is always funny and sttupid when the producers killed or destroy a very good tv series and then say that they are happy for the fans. Season 4 was a disaster and now they came back with the last season killing main characters instead of giving a happy ending to the series. A victory over Samaritan and the whole cast celebrating would be a great finale. But the producers always have to mess with their product. Thats why I like The Blacklist, they know precisely which character needs to remain to put the series at the top. Very dissapointed.

24. Blackie says:

Gutted one of the best shows, how can they cancel this and keep crap like 2 Broke Girls on the air????

25. Jiggs says:

Best show on TV…2016 People’s Choice Award!
    CBS is wrong for cancelling POI
    Moonves is cheap…money hungry…doesn’t care about the viewers.
    Great writers and producers.
    Outstanding cast and crew.
    Magnificent chemistry between Root and Shaw.
    Hopefully CBS will wake up and reconsider.

26. Me says:

This season is one of the best.bits sad to see how well story lines are when they know it’s their last batch! Why can’t you announce the continuation of person of interest because NOW after,seeing how,much REALITY is,being introduced RATINGS will Definitely go up!

27. Beth Rulo says:

please tell me person of interest will continue somewhere ? this is one of the most intelligent, creative, and interesting programs on television. got a petition I can sign to keep it on the air??

28. BBREWER says:

I and many others are very very disappointed that Person of Interest is being cancelled!!!!!! It is one of the best series on TV !!!! Jim Caviezel is a wonderful actor!! Mike Emerson,Amy and Sarah and Kevin made a great caste/team…… Any plans for a TV movie or another network picking up the series???
    Bbrewer

29. Shaun Williams says:

Person of Interest was one of the best hit shows!!! I wish this would have been made into a movie!! Please take that into consideration! That show will be missed!!!

30. otis dixson says:

All good show get cancelled why

31. r says:

that gawd its being cancelled – loved the show but could not watch it cause the back ground music was so loud i could not understand what they were saying

32. helen says:

I really love this show. Very disappointed when I found out that they were cancelling the best show ever.
    I wish that another network can work on getting this show. Love, Love the show.

33. Renne says:

I think it sucks the best shows are always cancelled. Person of interest. The mentelest, mike a d molly a d i bet they will taking law and order off. Putting crappiy walking dead on.

• Joe says:

I agree with you, best shows gets cancelled, and shows I find boring goes on, I enjoy watching action, thriller, mystery genre and most of the shows in this genre gets cancelled, For complete story without cancellation I think I have to watch 80’s shows. As for POI the show will at least have a rushed ending, but most of the other shows ends on a cliffhanger. Only show now I am watching is Blacklist, who knows when that gets cancelled.

34. omalansky says:

Easily one of the most intelligent and entertaining dramas on tv. It is interesting how great stories that are actually going somewhere often get axed while run-of-the-mill dramas that recycle the same tired storyline week after week sometimes go on for years and years. Mediocrity trumps quality almost every time. If “Game of Thrones” had been produced on network television, it probably wouldn’t have made made it past the third season.

35. barno14 says:

GREAT show….love Reese, Finch, the Machine, Carter, Shaw, Root, Fusco….all of them! Was looking forward to a few more seasons…better than most shows on TV right now. Probably has to do with money…maybe they can find another network to pick it up. Sorry to see the show end :-(

36. Rich Paton says:

Since the beginning of POI, I’ve always believed that Reese is worthy of being the next .007

That is unless he has too much grit and grapes for man with a license to kill…

37. Elle says:

I will miss watching Person Of Interest. Bummed that this will be its last season and even more so that they reduced its last season down to just 13 episodes. I am gratetful for Netflix, as they have all prior seasons, but it will not be the same. Its a great show with so many possibilities.

38. T2mclane says:

I’m bummed that CBS is airing the final season already! I love Person of Interest! Great intriguing show! Please keep it running…. It’s one of the best shows on TV

39. ricky5353 says:

CBS will see that it was lose to them as the show limitless is getting fewer and fewer watches and the new show Rush hour is just not all that good at all Person of Interest was and is the best show on TV but there moved it around and around to different time slots, it they had kept it was it was the ratings would still be way up.Just look at the fact that the people’s choice award went two the show just this past winter.How in the hell can you cancel a show that win’s the award WOW and they beat out NCIS AND EVERY OTHER SHOW ON TV. Just can not think what the EXCE’S at CBS are thinking. This is why people are looking away from Broadcast show and moving on.

• ricky5353 says:

Sorry for the error’s i was just so miffed with CBS maybe FOX will pick it up lol that would be so good and show up CBS lmao.

• Lorrie says:

I, too, hope they will have a change of heart, continue
        the show and bring Root back from not really being Dead.
        Go back to where it started and loose the music where you can hear
        what is being said.

40. toolkien says:

The only heartbreak there is how much good story there was to come if it were to have continued-

Like the one where John beats up some rednecks, Finch looks like he was going to cry, and Root hits on Shaw? I was looking forward to 3 or 4 more seasons of that episode.

41. John says:

Person of Interest was a show too good for network television, much like Hannibal. Both shows would have been better served on cable or streaming services. Enjoy watching on BluRay or Netflix or Amazon Prime. Screw network TV, they can keep their crappy reality and game shows until viewers stop tuning in all together. Network is a thing of the past.

42. Karen says:

I think whoever canceled the show is an IDIOT that is an awsome show and ever is responsiable should find a way to keep it going if you want people to watch CBS stop cancelling the good shows plz reconsider and keep person of intrest going

43. Jay Bee says:

POI was a GREAT show! CBS, Nolan and whatever other idiot is at the helm SUCK! Hope Jim, Michael, and Amy find another show . . . Will miss them! ALL Great actors.

44. Mel says:

dear princess celestia… I mean

Dear Joss Whedon. Please, make Winifred Burkle/Illyria show a thing.

Your faithful Whedonite, Mel S.

• aj says:

I miss Fred too. I suspect she’s autistic and female characters like her are much needed on tv.

• Regina says:

OMG imagine The Winifred Burkle/illyria show on Netflix! 12 years later, Fred is back and struggling with Illyria’s shadow, the whole Buffyverse could make guest appearances. I’m so nostalgic right now I may even rewatch both BTVS and ATS.

45. tim says:

do whatever you want in the finale but don’t kill root. if you’ve already done so undo it. CAN YOU HEAR ME JONAH AND DENISE? don’t effing dare to kill root.

• Shannon E Shifflett says:

Too late… her body dies, but she gets uploaded into pure data and lives on in binary immortality. :)

• MissP says:

No no no no no. Root can’t die and she won’t. They wouldn’t do that no. No no no. Root is immortal, yes! She’s going to live forever and they’ll make a show about her titled ‘Root and The Machine’. Which will last for 6 seasons. And a movie!

• Mel says:

I’d rather watch an Angel Spin-Off about Fred Burkle. She’s alive in comics now and she and Illyria have Hulk/Bruce Banner relationship. I miss nice sweet strong and caring Winifred Burkle can she some back to me? Root is great but she’s nothing like her.

• tim says:

2missp. whatever. i dont care who’s going to be against it . the idea of a ROOT CENTRIC SHOW cheers me up. think about it root babbling with the machine about things and stuff helping random strangers and pretending to be lots of other people. its my dream show. it would be a great addition to the netflixs lineup or look cool on usa network. cbs stinks

• MissP says:

I just thought that the new show means new characters and possibly a new love interest for Root because Shaw won’t be there and Shahi is busy with her new show. Here comes an obstacle: Shoot shippers. They’re selfish and they can’t imagine Root with another woman so they will be against a Root-centric show without shaw as well. Which is sad but this exactly what will happen.

• tim says:

what if there is a root show in works? they can’t just announce it yet because they’re keeping root’s fate a secret? once it’s june 21 we’ll see that root lives and she’s getting her show?? WHAT IF? see, imma hopeless dreamer too. i want this show now i cant say goodbye to root

• MissP says:

@tim I’m just a hopeless dreamer. Plageman and Nolan are too full of themselves to even consider the possibility of a Root-centric show. I’m sure they won’t kill her off, tho.

• tim says:

believe me or not i just seriously felt a glimpse of hope. this show about root is this your wishful thinking or you know something? i wouldn’t mind watching root and the machine buddy cop show ;3

46. Brenda says:

Early in the run of this series I never thought I’d say this, but it’s about time. The initial set up and initial casting for this series had the potential to last many, many years, but the producers said they didn’t want a show that went on past, or even to, 200 episodes. They got their wish, albeit in a way they probably didn’t expect. The fast burn off of quality characters that likely should have lasted far longer than they did, coupled with the artificial intelligence conspiracy take-over of the show, set the countdown clock for this series. The kicker is that they ironically brought in an assassin, to boost already high ratings, that some say killed the show.

With the addition of the Shaw character as a regular, as well as a reformatted Root, plus their other changes, the ratings began to slide and then didn’t stop sliding. It is unfortunate that the success of this show can be defined as Pre-Carter death and Post-Carter death, but then I don’t think the showrunners actually thought this would be the case. They wanted their regular replacements and other changes to the show and got them. One could say that the important thing is that they got the show that they ultimately wanted. The unfortunate thing is that many, if not most, of their viewers cannot say the same.

• lll says:

Brenda
      Couldn’t agree more. The producers and writers wrote their own demise. The sad thing is they’re so arrogant, the show’s number was up and didn’t see it coming.

47. tony says:

am watching season four in the UK and am not missing carter much now shaw and root are regulars.
    shame it will end.

48. Cassidy says:

Free? I’m free! Can’t believe I’m finally free from watching this. I’ll miss Root and Bear forever but I can’t stand this show anymore.

49. DSW says:

They must have so many regrets after sending Taraji and her fans away to EMPIRE. What a show killing move. POI never recovered.

• ps says:

It’s was Taraji, that wanted to leave. So it’s not like they killed her off against her will.

• Brenda says:

@ps,

Taraji Henson didn’t ask to leave or want to leave when she was written out. She wasn’t even aware of the fact she was being replaced until she was phoned by the creator of the show about it. For some reason, the incorrect rumor that she wanted to leave and/or asked to leave still lingers, but it’s not true.

50. Norm Eddy says:

One of the best shows ever . Maybe PC thing who knows. Mr. Reese will be my idle for aa long time to come.