‘Outlander’ Season 3 Preview: Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan Tease What’s Ahead for Claire and Jamie

This story contains spoilers for the “Outlander” season 2 finale and vague plot details from the third book in Diana Gabaldon’s series of novels, “Voyager,” on which season 3 will be based. If you want to go into season 3 with no knowledge of what might come, turn back now.

Season 2 of “Outlander” began with a disoriented Claire Fraser (Caitriona Balfe) returning through the standing stones at Craigh na Dun, alone and pregnant, to reluctantly reunite with her first husband, Frank (Tobias Menzies) in 1948. In the premiere, we saw Claire and Frank negotiating how they might raise a child together, with their relationship irrevocably strained by the events of Claire’s absence and the man she fell in love with during that time away.

Sunday’s finale, titled “Dragonfly in Amber,” showed us the harrowing moments leading up to that reunion, as Claire’s second husband, Jamie (Sam Heughan) convinced her to return to her own time in order to protect her and their unborn child, since he believed that he was destined to die with his men at the Battle of Culloden.

That seemed like the end of Claire and Jamie’s story (although fans of Diana Gabaldon’s novels already knew that there’s plenty more of this tale to be told, with eight books currently published and more to come — not to mention the fact that the show was already renewed for season 3 and season 4), until Claire discovered that Jamie survived both Culloden and the execution of Jacobite soldiers that followed the battle, meaning that there was a chance they could still reunite if she went back through the stones — albeit after 20 years apart.

Given the number of books in Gabaldon’s series (and the fact that viewers would probably riot if Sam Heughan suddenly disappeared from the show), it’s not much of a spoiler to say that Claire and Jamie will someday find each other again. “There’s a lot of challenges to season 3 — there’s a period of time where Jamie and Claire are apart; he thinks that he’s lost her, or at least that she’s alive and well but in the future, so what is he living for? What sort of man is he now?” Heughan observes. “She will eventually return, but they’re both older, so what is Jamie, who is the man he’s become” in the time since they last saw each other?

Those questions — “who is Jamie without Claire, why is he still surviving, what has he got to live for when he’s lost the woman that he loves” — will be central to the character in season 3, according to Heughan.

And therein lies both the tragedy and romance at the heart of the “Outlander” series, which, despite its genre-bending sensibilities, incisively explores the sometimes harsh realities of a lasting relationship, with all the triumphs, complications, joys and heartbreaks that go along with it. When they find their way back together after decades spent separated, Claire and Jamie will have to relearn what it means to be a couple, something that Balfe admits she’s eagerly anticipating in season 3.

“I think what’s going to be most exciting is the reunion between Claire and Jamie and them discovering each other again and falling in love all over again,” she tells Variety. “I think both of them have probably held each other up on a pedestal for 20 years, so in many ways, they’re going to have to destroy that image first before they can fall in love with the person right in front of them, and that’s going to be really interesting. I love the complexity of that, because you can’t be in love with a ghost, and Claire is in many ways in love with Jamie’s ghost, as Jamie is in love with her ghost, and that’s not the people they are when they see each other again.”

The season 2 finale may have jumped ahead in time to introduce us to Claire and Jamie’s daughter, Brianna, on the cusp of adulthood, but we still have 20 years of lost time to revisit, and the show isn’t likely to skip over all of it, especially since those life experiences will inevitably have shaped who Claire and Jamie are now that they’re middle-aged.

“What I’m so excited about as well next season is we’ll see, hopefully, some of her progression as a mother,” Balfe says. “So even though we’ve jumped forward in episode 13 [to see Claire] at 50, hopefully we’ll see some of that journey between late 20s and 50.”

While the actors had yet to read scripts for season 3 when they spoke to Variety before the finale aired, Gabaldon’s “Voyager” gives us some hints as to what we might see in the new season, including a final showdown between Jamie and Menzies’ Black Jack Randall, who was destined to die on Culloden Moor.

“If you’ve read the books you will know that Randall will appear again,” Heughan teases. “I know that Diana has written the scene of how they ended up [back together], so hopefully – and who knows, I haven’t read the script yet, but hopefully, we’ll get to see Jamie and Randall in the Battle of Culloden.”

We’re also likely to see Frank again, to give viewers a sense of the realities of his relationship with Claire. We know from some of Brianna’s comments in the finale that her parents’ marriage wasn’t particularly idyllic in its later years, and Menzies confirms that the tentative plan is for season 3 to explore the couple’s dynamic following the move to Boston, including “the disintegration of their marriage out there… it’s slightly ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf’ in Boston, which hopefully will be really exciting stuff to dig into.”

Balfe agrees, “The relationship between Claire and Frank is so rich and complex, I’m really looking forward to that.”

After the political intrigue of this season, Heughan says season 3 “feels like a very new chapter,” with trips to tropical climates that are far removed from the chill of Scotland. “There’s a lot of travel involved, and I think that’s the joy of the show — it’s never the same thing, it’s constantly moving, so next season should be quite an adventure.”

What are you most looking forward to seeing in “Outlander” season 3? Weigh in below.

1. patriciachao says:

I love Claire and I love Jamie’s character.For me , they are perfect. I am waiting to see what comes next.But one thing I am sure , The reunion is going to be special. Can’t wait to see it

2. Marty Bustillos says:

I’ve read/listened to all 8 books at least twice. Love these characters but hate waiting so long between seasons. Really looking forward to seeing Brianna and Rogers journeys do life on the Ridge.

3. Mc says:

I know how you feel, but thinking about it i really can’t wait to see Jamie’s experience without her from the book. Also, how Claire managed her loss as well. It’s so heartbreaking, but needed to make the reunion that much more. Some of this is very hard to watch and I liked it better on Saturday nights. Then I could detox all Sunday reading blogs etc. Stii can’t believe how emotionally attached to this story I am. DG really knows how to capture people’s hearts. It has allowed me to take steps needed to get out of depression and have my life back. Cannot wait for S3. I’m buying everything related to the season. Not so for S2.

4. Mila says:

Claire and Jamie are wonderful! I wish they’d just fast forward past anything to do with Claire going back to Frank :/

5. Linda says:

I wish they would have gotten a younger and less annoying actress to play Claire. I love the series but she is so hard to watch. I have to fast forward a lot. I just don’t get them as a couple at all.

6. Jo-Ann says:

The only thing I hope they include is Jamie’s seasickness. Great for a humorous storyline.

7. tracy354 says:

It’s being shot in Cape Town, South Africa. Also a place steeped in history dating back to the 1600’s it’s sure to make season 3 look and feel incredible, it’s one of the most beautiful and vibrant cities in the world!

8. donna says:

love, love, love the show! are all Scotish men this gorgeous?

9. Judy Carr says:

can’t wait for season 3 –
    I have reread the books a lot of times and wish I could be there with them Judy

10. Mc says:

Free speech. Our country was founded on it so you must put up with it if your viewpoint is to be heard? Right? He, Sam Heughan, had a lot of input into the way Jamie was played in the second season bc the actor felt PTSD must be realistically portrayed. This theory back fired and ruined season two. The relationship that drew us in was no more. Apparently, our story must be “approved” by the actors playing the roles and influenced by their personal/political agenda. Caite reminded us that JamieClaire are a married couple and that they don’t have sex that much. She has never been married, but now all of us married folks will have to scale things down now that we know how it should be.

• Honestly, the book itself wasn’t that great. I think the producers, writers, directors and actors did their best – but the whole France thing was less interesting. That period of history, in that place, has been done before. That being said, the costumes were amazing!

• Diane Deguire says:

cannot wait for Seaon 3.. just love the series and the chemistry between the 2 stars ia amazing to
      watch.

come on Season 3 !!

11. Kristina Hudson says:

As much as I LOVE this show (and I’ve watched both seasons about a dozen times and I just listened to voyager on audible, it sickens me that the actor playing Jamie is saying in REAL life horrible things about Trump. I felt like o really had a love affair with this show but after hearing these things over and over the past month I don’t see how I can possibly keep ,y subscription and watch him. It repulsed me that we are living with corruption in this country and some actor from another country had the audacity to say things about the candidate half this country has voted to run (and trust me most likely the half that watches this kid of show). Very disheartening….

• Marty Bustillos says:

I couldn’t be happier to learn that Sam Heughen hates the orange guy as much as the majority of America and world. In all likelihood the orange guy brand will disappear pretty quickly when this election is over. All his shifty ways are being revealed so no one will want anything have anything to do with him. What a moron👿

• lrsenne07 says:

Bustillos, of course, you likely have family here illegally or jumped the border yourself. MILLIONS of people around the globe support Trump, including myself, a recent former democrat of thee decades. He will be reelected as the Dems will not give up on open borders. Watch and see.

12. joyce says:

erase season 2 a total disaster and get back to the moments of beautiful, quiet moments between Claire and Jamie that are the glue that keeps us coming back

13. Karen says:

I am anxious to see William and I sure hope Sam gets to play a dual role of William and Jamie.

• Josie says:

Even if the show gets season 6 (William reappears in book 6 as 19 years old lad), Sam Heughan will be 40 then and would look ridiculous pretending to be a teenager.

14. Kathleen says:

Will the series show us how Claire reacts when she finds out that Jamie married Laoghaire? In the book she want to head back to the 20th century. How will this plau out

15. Carol Ashcroft says:

Since I have read the books six times I hope that not too many drastic changes occur between book and camera. It was very odd to see Leery (Nell Hudson) introduced as an addition to series 2.
    I love the series as well as the books and hope it will continue until the end of book 9 ! I am 76.and
    Hope to still be here!
    Carol Ashcroft.

16. Barb Powers says:

I just can’t wait for S3 to start. I love Outlander so much, I fantasize about it. This hanging in mid air is no way to continue a love story that began over 200+ years ago. I want Jamie and Claire to be back in each other’s arms again. So please, let’s get on with it!!

17. Jessica says:

I have a question..a big one actually: Is Brianna going back with Claire trough the stones?

• Marty Bustillos says:

You can Google each book summary. The Wiki summaries are the best. I like to keep that page open as I read each book because it is easy to forget where you left off. I listen to the books from Audible.com on my iPod nano. The narrator is outstanding and really brings the books to life. To answer your question, Brianna follows Claire thru the stones a couple years later then Roger follows Brianna a couple months after he realizes she went thru the stones. Enjoy😎

18. History lover says:

Like most viewers, I am looking forward to Claire and Jamie’s reunion. But there were other parts of Voyager (the book) that I thought were even sweeter and more heartwarming/breaking. The first was when Claire is hesitant to go back through the stones. But, Brianna tells her that if she (Claire) doesn’t go, she (Brianna) will go–because someone has to tell Jamie that his sacrifice worked. They lived because he gave them up. The second was when Jamie said goodbye to Willie. That was pure magic; I was bawling!
    Finally, I hope the producers maintain the steps in the search for Jamie: how Claire, Brianna, and Roger discover he lived in a cave, and then was at Ardsmuir, etc. It was all in the records (or myths) if you just knew where to look, and Roger did. Very academic and very fascinating.
    I love everything about the TV series. It is the most awesome viewing experience I have ever had.

19. sharyn noll says:

i absolutely love outlander,my husband and i had a marriage in many ways similar to Clare & Jamies and I lost him in a farming accident insharyn.noll@ 2001at 56 and I guess i still havent recovered from it.so i love watching the love Jamie has for Clare and remembering my own loss,not that its always sad for me,its just that my own love story ended to soon,i wanted to grow old withmy own love.having said that thanku for a lovely story Diana and for the brilliant casting of Sam and Catriona who do the story great justice. Sharyn Noll Australia ps I so want to go to Scotland its on my bucket

20. Barb Campbell says:

How much do I love Outlander-guess.I am a direct desentdent of Colin(the grey) campbell,6th Laird of Glenorky

21. Janet Keebler says:

I’m most excited to see the scene in the print shop when Jamie and Claire are reunited after 20 years apart. I hope the writers capture the humor that Diana injected into Jamie’s reaction, thinking Claire
    s a ghost.

22. Erin says:

I fell in love with this story during the first half of season 1. I proceeded to binge read all 8 novels before the start of the second half of season 1. It’s absolutely an incredible adventure.

23. Anne M says:

I was disappointed in the way Brianna Es across in per relationship with her mother. In the book she is very devoted to her. As I have read all the books and know TV is very different. I really like Roger. His persona is quite what I expected. The choice for Brianna was a mistake. She doesn’t even have a Boston accent. But Jaime and Claire are spot on. Really looking forward to meet Ian. Anne M. By the way I’m British. So I am quite familiar with the scots are portrayed. Love it😍😍😍

24. Jules says:

Can’t wait to see Claire and Jamie reunited in the print shop, and hope it follows the book. Outlander viewers and especially book fans are a tough group to please as far as casting, but I must concur the Sophie was miscast as Brianna. Jamie’s character is full of charisma and mirth, neither of which Sophie conveyed. How are we to believe that Claire was continually reminded of Jamie when looking at her daughter when Brianna had more of Frank’s disposition than Jamie’s?!

• lrsenne07 says:

I actually think Claire is horribly miscast as well. She is a nightmare to watch and her voice is like nails on a chalkboard. Her and Jamie as a couple make zero sense.

• onehsancare says:

Sophie looks NOTHING like Jamie and has not demonstrated an ability to act her way out of a wet paper bag! Please, this isn’t just “fans being hard to please”–look at the last episode without being defensive of her casting, and then say that her acting rises to the level of the rest of the show. Tell us that she reminds you of Jamie in ANY way. It just isn’t possible. Brianna needs to be recast.

• Lynn Green says:

Couldn’t agree more. Eye color, hair tint, accent are all wrong for Brianna. Such a disappointment. Given the number of Scots, Brits & Irish cast–why screw up the casting of Brianna? She has to have a good, strong Boston accent thru the entire remaining seasons of Outlander, when hers will be the only true American character going “back in time”. (Joe Abernathy doesn’t go back in time….) Get her some blue contact lens’…& match the hair color to Jamie’s.

25. Sonia ribeiro says:

Gladiador to know-how the série William go on.

26. Diana has said that she has not, nor will be, writing an episode for this season as she wants to finish the 9th book

27. TJ Herron says:

This series is written off my very favorite books ever. I am 68 yrs old and was taught a love of reading by the age of 5, believe it or not! When Outlander was written, I immediately became hooked on Diana Gabaldon’s writing! I have all of the books in hardback edition and also in ebooks! I have read the first 7, one after another, 9x’s and Book 8 2x’s! I love the series very, very much! I learned early on to accept the series for the series and the books for the books. We, as fans, can’t expect the series to be page for page like the books! Good gracious, they would never be finished! The series is exciting and is wonderful to see the characters in the books come alive in front of you! I have watched Season 1 and Season 2 over and over! I am so very excited for Season 3 to be finished and begin to watch it! Looking forward to the changes in the characters over the 20 yrs since Season 2 have passed! It will be so intertesting to see how Ron D Moore guides the writers to bring Voyager to fruition! This is one of the biggest books Ms. Gabaldon has written so it will be very interesting to see it come to light! Love these books and this series!

28. Joan Yellen says:

This is by far my favorite book of all eight. This shows how a couple have faith, and together are on a journey that can last till the end. Both have to help each other to be their best while betting on the true self of the person they knew.
    This will be challenging for the actor/actress, but we have come to know the are up to the challenge. Maybe we should call them The Heughans, not Frasers, Aye?

• Bev says:

They are, in fact, actors playing the parts of Jamie and Claire Fraser. They are not the Heughans! If fans want to see the series last for all 10 seasons, they need to get that straight!!

29. bobbie beverung says:

I hope the reunion of Jamie & Claire is as romantic as I’ve been daydreaming it will be..

30. Elizabeth Powers says:

I can’t wait to see Claire and Jamie’s reunion and what Jamie looks like at 46. Especially how the writers handle all the adventure in the book Voyager.

31. www.Wideo.co says:

Sources: Flame retardants obtained in plastics,paints,
    electronic parts and fabrics. The inside individuals ears are filled up with tiny, delicate instruments that produce
    it possible for you personally to enjoy sets from the
    crash of cymbals towards the soft murmur of your mountain steam.
    How to make a girl squirt This kind of behavior can assist make her fall in love
    to you again because she’s going to see how strong of your person you’re,
    as opposed to somebody who’s going to be begging and
    pleading.

By then she’ll be wanting to have you put your fingers inside her.
    If you’re thinking of adopting a cat, the right spot to start could be the
    Arizona Humane Society.

32. Nicole says:

Cannot wait to see Claire and Jamie reunite. Their chemistry is amazing. So hooked on this series, cannot wait until 2017.

• lrsenne07 says:

Really? To me they have zero chemistry. He was so much better with that pretty young girl he loved before this plain annoying Claire came along.

33. Mc says:

I call those strange occurances Diana’s way of trying to stir things up. I read it as a bro type kiss with a bro hug. It is not in Jamie’s character to kiss a man like a woman. It came out of extreme gratitude. It gave Jamie great sorrow that he could not father William which made him so passionately grateful to LBJ. I am reading FC so no need to go there with JBR. I understand. I skim over the rape scenes as well. It just seems so out of character or not realistic to the story. When it occurs as often as it does it lessens the impact of the next. Similar to men always having a husky voice. Or eyes closing into slanted triangles. The list is endless. I have seen Diana talk about how interesting it would be to have Jamie raped. In my opinion, the attention to rape in these books is a bit peculiar. There are other scenarios that could be used to move the plot along. You never know what dwells inside someone’s mind unless they write a series of novels, of course.

• Karen says:

For me, the best parts of the books are the unexpected. So for book 3. The return, the face to face with L, the Gellies connection. I think my favorite books are 1 and 4. Cannot wait for 4.

• Karen says:

Mc I get frustrated sometimes when there is always something that gets one of them into trouble and the other has to save them. It feels like overkill. I’m not going to say much more since it appears that many people have not read the books. I think for those that haven’t read the books, the series is more enjoyable.

• Mc says:

Yes Karen, I agree. I think 3-4 books would have wrapped it up. The same scenarios over and over. Everyone’s husky voice, a rape or two every book. Sometimes more. Eyes fading into triangles. I keep experiencing deja vu when I’m reading with the same words, phrases, and themes. But, on the other hand, I am addicted to this Outlander Universe. Go figure.

34. Suzi says:

Turtle Soup!

35. Ian McGrigor says:

I am waiting to see how they handle Roger’s rescue from the Indians and young Ian’s sacrifice in having to stay in Rogers stead.

36. In season 3. I’m most looking forward to seeing Claire & Jamie’s reaction when they see each other for the first time in 20 yrs

37. Brenda Vance says:

To the producers of the the show – Brianna has brown eyes – it is impossible for two blue eyed parents Jamie and Claire to produce a child with brown eyes – Big oversight – now it is hard to believe the acting of the so- called “daughter of Jamie and Claire”.

• Bev says:

It is not impossible. Google it. Fans have argued about every person cast for Outlander. Sit back and enjoy the show instead of complaining about the casting. You will always have the books and the series is just icing on the cake.
      Just give Sophie a chance!

Are you still complaining about Claire’s (Caitriona’s) eye colour? Is Jamie’s (Sam’s) hair red enough for you or why isn’t he bigger? Why is Dougal (Graham) bald? Why wasn’t Angus (Stephen) so small, the book says he is massive? None of those details have mattered!

• onehsancare says:

It is Sophie’s ACTING, or rather, the lack of it, that makes so many of us critical of her casting. The blue lies just gives us something specific to complain about, and makes us think she’s some sort of delicate flower who can’t be bothered to wear contact lenses to match the character from the book.

• onehsancare says:

Exactly! And it isn’t as though wearing contact lenses is a huge burden; people wear them 24 hours a day without complaint! We might be able or it least willing to overlook this really blatant flaw if Sophie were otherwise delivering a compelling performance, but she most certainly is not. Her brown eyes are really the least of the problem, we need an actor with the skill to carry this important role. We need a replacement!

38. Terri LaClaire says:

I read the books when they came out, but unlike others I am more drawn to the relationship portrayed by Sam and Caitriona. Voyager should be a real challenge because so much goes on all over the place. I only wish that more of the deleted scenes stay in and that “Jamie” says more of the endearments he did in the books, not breaking the Scottish brogue and louder Gaelic

39. Juanmitchell says:

Sophie is not what I imagined Bree to be.
    She is OK in these minor scenes, but can she hold her own when times get tough, such as meeting her father. I don’t think she can give credit to that major scene, or the rape, or the tougher scenes that came later in S3 and S4

• onehsancare says:

Based on the acting skill we saw in the last episode, she can’t. I remain concerned that if Sophie is not replaced before the beginning of the third season, we’re going to be stuck with a very weak link as an actor for the remaining seasons. The quality of Outlander has been so uniformly high–I am afraid that this one amateur-level performance can drag down the reputation of the entire show.

• Mc says:

I think the character is not very warm to begin with. She’s a bratty teenager but Diana wrote her that way. She continues this behavior in Drums. I didnt see anything that was so terrible about her performance. I will look again but normally first impressions are the most objective ones. In my opinion, the comments about her are very unkind. I don’t think she was sooo terrible at all.

40. The print shop reunion exactly as it is in the book. Have heard that it may be changed
    Also the face to face with Lheery
    Seeing a grown Fergus

41. martimidd says:

My Outlander friends and I are really looking forward to the fainting scene in the print shop. I don’t want to say to much about it … but we have heard you might leave it out. Please don’t!!! It is a great scene and we can’t wait to see it.

• Mc says:

Where did you “hear” the fainting scene will be left out?? Your source please?

• Yula says:

I loved printshop scene for the very same reason, it mixed pathos and humor in perfect doses. It may be unpopular opinion but sometimes I feel the show takes itself too seriously, it’s never ending angst, sobbing and Claire’s doleful face.Fans who are more familiar with the show than with the books, may expect a very dramatic reunion instead of fainting, dropped breeches, immoral papist and “It’s not even noon yet!” ;-)

• onehsancare says:

Looking forward to the printshop scene for exactly those reasons!

• Yula says:

I think Ron Moore said jokingly, in an interview for TVLine, that they will drop printshop scene and instead Jamie will become a minstrel and travel the world, running into Claire one day. Some people took it seriously ;-)
        OTOH I’ve seen others hoping, that they will change printshop scene for the show because it’s too comedic not enough “passionate”.

• Mc says:

Thnx for response. I read that as well. It was funny. SPOILER ALERT !! The PS scene was very intimate. I think the fainting was great. I got the impression he thought she was a ghost until she touched his arm and he lost it falling into ink? on the floor. He had to remove his breeches and Gordie came in thinking it was an orgie. OMG best scene ever. Range of emotion etc. Claire had to remind herself she had months to prepare but he didn’t. Complete and utter shock. Oh well. Here I go. I better stop😊. Just can’t wait for S3. And they won’t be so terribly separated so maybe I will be able to keep my emotions in check. This is not real, this is not real, this………..

• Ria Wessels says:

I absolutely agree about the fainting scene! Also have to confess that I would not mind to see the last of Jonathan and Frank Randall.

42. onehsancare says:

I’m looking forward to a casting change for Brianna. This fantastic series deserves an actor with skills comparable to the rest of the outstanding cast. Sophie doesn’t come close to measuring up; she is stiff and appears to be reading her lines from cue cards. It isn’t fair to the rest of the cast, to Diana, to the fans, or the series to continue with this casting error when there is still time to repair it before shooting season three.

• Jill says:

Let’s hope! She’s not gifted with acting ability whatsoever. Whoever cast her should be fired.

• onehsancare says:

I listened to the podcast and Rod said she passed three auditions and had “chemistry ” with Richard (“Roger”). I just didn’t see any chemistry and can only conclude that they didn’t audition any experienced actors–say, tall, red-haired, blue-eyed American actors with acting chops.

• Mc says:

The printshop when he sees her for the first time. The photographs of Bree. “He buried his face in my shoulder and went very quietly and thoroughly to pieces.” One of the most beautiful lines I have ever read. Not sure why it is so powerful and resonates with me over and over. Something about a strong tall man going to pieces that is so endearing. It provokes this feeling that was there in S1, but sadly missing in S2. I am hoping these intimate lines will remain for S3.

43. teresa hartnell says:

Claire and Jamie back together and him meeting his daughter

44. Bev says:

The ghost figure is Jamie, we already know that from the author. But it is a ghost, not a time travelling person. We will learn all about it at the end of the last book she writes. Jamie cannot time travel, we’ve heard that many times from Diana Gabaldon.

45. Mc says:

“…the disintegration of their marriage out there.” Their marriage didn’t disintegrate once she came back bc it was over already and I don’t think it’s fair to blame Claire. For her, the marriage was over once she made her decision to remain with Jamie. She couldn’t hide the fact that she fell deeply in love with him. She told Frank to leave her and the honest truth about why. It was his decision not to go. He was in denial and thought she was delusional. Claire was perfectly capable of taking care of herself if need be. More so than most women of that era. She may not have been able to get through med school but…..
    It would have been much better for Claire if she did not stay with Frank. Yes, she told Jamie she would but he would be okay knowing Bree was still taken care of. She may have met someone else that could have filled the void better than languishing for 20 years with Frank. Then she would really have a problem going back. I really hope they don’t feel they have to add some L drama for the “viewers” and make Jamie have a difficult time accepting Claire back bc of “other” obligations. Or make more of the L thing than the book. I want to feel so excited about S3 but then my stomach starts churning. I really really despised the way Jamie treated Claire in Paris. PTSD or no he never was mean to her. Please keep his core traits the same as the book. That is the hold this show has on viewers.

46. Gina W. says:

1. Reunion in the print shop
    2. Marsalli walking in on Claire and Jamie at Lallybrock.
    3. Ian
    4. Ian chasing down Claire to help save his uncle
    5. Claire and Jenny reunion / confrontation
    6. The swimming to sea lion island w treasure
    7. Claire jumping ship for the islands
    8. Marsalli and Ferguson
    9. Hellwater and Jamie’s experiences / relationships there.
    10.Frasier’s Ridge (please don’t cut the strawberry scene!)

• Karen says:

Gina W. Totally agree on your season 3 must sees. I was VERY disappointed by season 2 story changes particularly leaving out St Kildas since it comes up again in the 4th book. Initially I was extremely disappointed by the choice of Roger and Brianna. Feels like they are leaving casting of new characters to the final minute. I do not mind Roger after the season 2 finale. The jury is still out for me on Sophie. I read that with each story change they feel the need to make another in another season like covering a lie with a lie. L was brought back way too early and as someone said now it will effect Jamie’s true character moving forward. I really hope they stick to the story.

• Mc says:

I always felt it was rediculous in the book that Claire never told Jamie that L got her into so much trouble. Now it seems they want us to believe Claire either told him or just wanted him to forgive her for the Michaels craft jesture. Either way she was mean so why will he do what he’s going to do? If it’s just the craft he knows about it’s not that bad. I just think whoever decided to write that one in has a lot of explaining to do in the future. If it goes any way S2 did it won’t be addressed at all.

• Mc says:

I am almost sure that Jamie sent Ian to go get Claire and don’t return without her. When she did come back with Ian Jamie was confessing his love for her but pretending? to be sleeping?? I am sure he sent him and knew what he was doing but could someone verify for me please?

• Josie says:

He was talking to her in his delirium, he believed himself to be close to death and thought Claire is a phantom bidding him farewell. I know because I recently reread this part, Claire and Jamie at their best – acerbic wit mixed with vulnerability.

• Josie says:

No, Jamie didn’t send Ian after Claire (altough Ian said so), in fact he forbide him to do so, he was too proud to send anyone to beg Claire to come back and heal him.

• Mc says:

Thx Josie. Once she did return didn’t he know she was there when he was talking about his love for while supposedly sleeping?

• Gina W says:

Oh my gosh I almost forgot the photographs of Bree when Claire gives them to Jamie!!!

47. Marilynne says:

I am most interested in claire & jamie’s reunion.

48. Mary Riordan says:

I’m looking forward to the the very moment Claire and Jamie see each other again!

49. chicagoshari44 says:

Without a doubt I am looking forward to Claire and Jamie’s reunion. That is the most important event of the new season. Secondly I am waiting to meet Young Ian and adult Fergus.

50. Mc says:

This may ruffle some feathers but I would like SPOILER Diana to write a shorter book about Jamies marriage to L from his POV. I think it would be very interesting.

• Kathy says:

SPOILER ALERT! Actually, Jamie spoke about his frustrations with his relationship with L in Voyager. He married her because he thought she needed his help. He was a dutiful husband and a caring father to L’s daughters. But, L knew that Jamie would never be able to love her truly, because he was still in love with Claire. This knowledge affected their ability to be intImate, which was frustrating and confusing for Jamie. By the time Claire returned, Jamie had moved to Edinburgh, and there was no relationship with L other than financial obligation.

• lrsenne07 says:

I just never got his fascination with Claire. He and Leary were a great couple and then he all of a sudden is in love with the annoying, never happy complaining Claire? She is insufferable. I haven’t read the books so it is possible to me that Claire is just horribly miscast.

• Mc says:

Yes, I know all of that. See my posts above. I am currently reading FC. I think it would be interesting to read about him being pushed into the marriage and then the time he was with her. I know he would be so different than he was with Claire. All from his POV!