‘Outlander’ Renewed for Seasons 3 and 4

Outlander Season 3 renewed Season 4
Courtesy Starz

Starz has renewed “Outlander” for Seasons 3 and 4, Variety has learned. The hit time-travel drama stars Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan, and is executive produced by Ronald D. Moore. The genre-bending show is based on the series of novels by Diana Gabaldon, with each season adapting one tome from Gabaldon’s eight-book series, which is ongoing.

Season 3 will adapt Gabaldon’s “Voyager,” while Season 4 will be based on “Drums of Autumn.” The series is produced by Tall Ship Productions, Story Mining and Supply Company, and Left Bank Pictures in association with Sony Pictures Television.

Related

outlander recap faith claire jamie miscarriage

How ‘Outlander’ Created Its Most Devastating and Powerful Episode Yet

Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said of the renewal, “‘Outlander’ is like nothing seen before on television. From its depiction of a truly powerful female lead character, to the devastating decimation of the Highlander way of life, to what is a rarely seen genuine and timeless love story, it is a show that not only transports the viewer, but inspires the passion and admiration of its fans. On this 25th anniversary of the publication of the first book in the U.S., we are thrilled and honored to be able to continue the story that began with author Diana Gabaldon, and is brought to life by the incredibly talented Ronald D. Moore. There are no better storytellers for ‘Outlander’ than this team, both in front and behind the camera.”

“The world of Jamie and Claire is expansive and emotionally complex. The audience has rewarded ‘Outlander’ with their praise and loyalty, and we know we will deliver the best seasons yet in the years ahead,” said Jamie Erlicht and Zack Van Amburg, Presidents, U.S. Programming and Production, Sony Pictures Television. “Starz has been an incredible partner and has truly helped shape this into one of the most iconic premiere series on the air today.”

Related

Outlander Sex Scenes

Showrunner Ronald D. Moore on How ‘Outlander’ Avoids Formulaic Sex Scenes

“Outlander” was nominated for three Golden Globes in its freshman season, including Best Drama Series, Best Lead Actress for Balfe and Best Supporting Actor for Tobias Menzies. The show was also named the “Most Bingeworthy Show of 2016” at the Critics’ Choice Awards, and earned gongs for Favorite Cable Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Show and Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actress for Balfe at the 2016 People’s Choice Awards.

Season 1 averaged 5 million multiplatform viewers per episode, and the Season 2 debut set a new Starz record for a premiere. The show is currently in the midst of its second season, which bowed in April.

1. Rose says:

A little complicated to follow but a Great series, great acting. Can’t wait for season 3.

2. Shaina says:

Outlander is the best TV show I ever seen hope it continues for years like15 or more series

3. Denise farmer says:

How awesome is this..I knew this had to continue. This is exallance at its finest. Truly there is talent to had, and I have to say that outlander has excelled in all aspects of this being a complete package of entertainment and history. I can’t wait

4. Denise Savikk says:

This is my most favourite series ever, can’t wait for series 3 now

5. Melissa says:

I have not loved a series this much since the early 70s-80s.,, he story line, the acting, and the unending love of this story is the MOST INCREDIBLE adventure since I was a young women. Caitronia and Sam are the epitome of unfailing, undying love throughout any time or space. This is the way LOVE was designed…

6. Lucy Rodgers says:

Can’t wait for sesson 3 !! I’m reading the books !!!!

7. Kathy C says:

There were supposed to be 13 episodes in Series 3. Did I miss something? I found only 3.

8. Joanna Ide says:

Outlander Starz series is wonderful and addictive. Best part is relationship between Jamie. and Claire,

9. Joanna Ide says:

Outlander is the best series I have ever seen. I’m addicted to the relationship between Claire and Jamie. Everyone would love to see more of their relationship and more recognition for Sam Heuen (Jamie).
    Can’t get enough of the shows!!!!

10. jenni Ford says:

I hope outlander has another set. It ending with her back with Frank is a real let down but I haven’t finished watching it. But if she has a grown daughter how can she returns to jamie. I hope this is all a bad dream she had at least some of it. I love how Clairemont finds true love with jamie I want to see them together with their child.

11. dixiedragon says:

I am not a fan of any of the genres covered by Outlander – romance, sci fy, history – but I am totally addicted to Outlander – I watched season 1 on a recorded binge watch (I could NEVER handle week to week) – then when Season 2 ended I watched Season 1 again and followed by binge watching Season 2 – if you go 7 seasons – I’ll have to watch 6 entire seasons the week before Season 7 ends LOLOL. Congratulations on an EXCELLENT job. From the details in architecture, furniture, costuming, an outstanding job of editing, excellent cinematography – the gamut of all that it takes to produce excellent programming – not to mention some of the finest acting in the history of television!!!

12. Susan says:

I’m still in tears over the finale, but, looking forward to the next season as always!!

13. gillian mcpherson says:

I am absolutely over the moon that outlander in going on, I cant wait to see hopefully all books made into seasons….best ever series ive seen in my life.

14. SusanB says:

I’m so thrilled Outlander is continuing on and pray it goes for all eight books on air! This is the greatest period piece to come along since The Tudors, and I feel surpasses that series!! I can’t wait for Saturday nights to sit and immerse myself in thus show! Thank You Starz, for keeping a fantastic show on the air. It would be a tragedy if it were to end before the final book to screen! Kudo’s to the writers who adapt these books to the screen, and the producers! Just wish there were more episodes a season. It’s so long to wait for the next!

15. Melody Edington says:

I love outlanders,can’t wait for season 3,4 and more

16. Lydia Martin says:

Loved the books and love the show. Sam and Catriona are the best Jamie and Clare I could have imagined. Will be watching always. I can’t thank Starz enough for bringing this series to life.The characters are so alive on screen. Kudos to Starz and the ensemble of actors!

17. Audrey says:

Love the show. So glad it was renewed

18. Tarsia K says:

I have been waiting impatiently to find out if there was going to be a season 3 so was very excited
    to see that 2 seasons have been ordered! I haven’t been this invested in a series of books in a long
    time and am so pleased with the translation from book to screen, I believe the core casting of the
    main characters is very important to the success of the series.. Looking forward to seeing all of
    the books brought to life.

19. Tim C says:

I hope they make these seasons more than the 13 episodes of Season 2. Especially for Season 3 “Voyager”. IMO the best of the books

20. Keel says:

OMG. Thank God and of course Starz❤️ Can’t wait!!

21. i love ‘OUTLANDERS’ keep the series going please. Have read all the books.. and I am so pleased it is sticking to the Book!! Kudos to the producer

from- diane, Brampton,ON.,Canada

22. Shelagh Moran says:

Great News and kudos to Starz for landing another two seasons of this awesome show. Glad to see that our favorite couple is back in Scotland – I too thought the show got very bogged down in Paris, Jamie was relegated to offering a pondering expression for the 1st 6 episodes. I was so waiting for the make up scene in the book after Jamie is freed from the Bastille and takes Claire horseback riding in the countryside. We need to get some of that great Highlander humor back.

23. Aesan says:

Also very happy to hear about this. I’m one episode behind, but truly appreciating season 2 so far. France is distinct and lavish in its own right (I miss Scotland already), yet the show does a good job also underlining the locales with much less splendor within the city. Production values are as great as ever, the acting absolutely potent, and I swear that the music has only become more hauntingly beautiful.

24. JoAnnGuarracino says:

The Best acting,the best costumes, the best scenery and most of all the story line. I love it.

25. Judith McParland says:

Thank goodness. I was beginning to despair. As an elderly widow with not much happening in this stage of my life, this series and the books it is based on were and are important to me. I was so afraid it would not be renewed. I only hope I live long enough to see the entire 10 years (Diana says there will be ten books altogether) on film.

• Judith, if you do Facebook, I would be happy to be friends with you. My husband was a widower when we met and married, so we know how lonely it can be. :-) We do love the series.

26. joanapolis says:

The show is so deserving and the story always has been. There’s nothing like it and it was beyond amazing to hear this news today. While I expected S3, of course, this was such a surprise to hear about S4. And a relief. Now onto the Emmy’s…#Emmys4Outlander …I hope this year the Emmy voters give Outlander a serious nod and even better, the awards it deserves across the board! #WorldOutlanderDay

27. I never had any doubt. A series like Outlander comes once mabey twice, mabey, in one’s lifetime, but the actors to be unknown in “Hollywood” is tremendous. Ms. Balfe and Mr. Heughan are superb, not to mention the rest of the cast now and yet to come.
    Thank you Starz my heart knew.

28. Jasmine says:

Great news! I’m so glad they’re making (at least) two more seasons. I just hope we get more episodes per season!

29. Marina says:

Beyond happy! The Outlander show and books are both phenomenal. I really hope that Starz will allot a full 15 or 16 episodes per season like they did in Season 1. So far Season 2 is shorter and seems so rushed and disjointed. Dragonfly In Amber is a long book and I’m sure was difficult to adapt, but too many important things have been left out and too many unnecessary things thrown in. I hope that Diana will be allowed more creative input, I hope they keep Richard Kahan on as a main writer, and I hope that Ron D. Moore will accept more input from Maril Davis and Matt B. Roberts. While it is nice that he is allowing Frank and Laoghaire more involvement in the story than what we see from them in Diana’s actual books, it’s taking precious screen time and character progression from Jaime and Claire’s relationship, in my opinion. All of the actors are great in their roles. Sam and Tobias slay every scene, as usual!

30. Lyn Brose says:

Wonderful wonderful news. Thankyou Starz/Sony.

31. Anne Jarrett says:

The best news I could have heard. This series will be known as one of the all time best. Go Outlander and all involved.

32. spanielpatter14 says:

Whoo-Hoo! That’s great. I really enjoy the series and watch each episode more than once.

33. Niki says:

This made my day! So excited!

34. Joanna E. says:

This is great news! My favorite show on television. The writing, acting, directing, cinematography, and costume design are simply amazing. Cannot be more excited to get another 2 seasons of Outlander.

35. Ann Saladino says:

36. Patty says:

Thank you Diana Gabaldon, Sony, Starz, Amazon, Ronald D. Moore, all of the show’s department heads and their talented teams, and the amazing cast in ALL the roles. Each episode of Outlander is a precious gift to be experienced. Truly.

37. Paula says:

Thank you so much for continuing the fascinating series! I subscribed to Starz specifically for this and have not been disappointed. The locations, sets, costumes and actors are outstanding!

38. Deni N says:

Best news. The next 2 books are my favorite. Hope they get a better script writer for both than the writers for Dragonfly in Amber. It’s a mess and misses most of the most illuminating parts of the story at this point. Very disjointed attempt that really fails to involve the evolving relationship between the two main characters. Please bring Diana back before you really hose the next two volumes.

• C says:

The scripts are written by the same five people as Season 1, with the addition of two new people – one of whom is Diana herself. Also, Diana has been just as involved in this season as she was with the first, as far as I’ve been able to tell from her comments.

39. Sue Johnson says:

Starz – you have made the Senior population of the U.S. Very Very happy with renewal of Outlander. We are your “paid subscribers” and will continue to support you. Just returned from Scotland with a group of seniors, who traveled to see the land of Outlander. I live in a Senior Community that is committed to Starz and we salute you!

40. Jenn says:

I’m starting Outlander the book. I’m enjoying the shows without knowing what the books are about. So far the TV show is better than the book. Claire was just saved by Murtagh. I cannot wait to finish this one and the second book.. Outlander is better than Game of a Thrones. Just saying.

• Tim C says:

I think once you really get into the books, you will change your mind. So much more detail in the books.

• Gladys Smith says:

The books are fantastic well done to Diana. Television series are excellent can’t wait for 3 &4 Gladys

41. Ann Richardson says:

Happy, happy, happy to hear the news of seasons 3 and 4. Starz has done a wonderful job bringing the books to the screen. Having read the books multiple times, I am still very happy with the adaption. Kudos to the author, script writers, directors, actors and all the other support personnel too numerous to mention for making this happen. I have to say it’s been worth the wait to have the original books treated so well. I love what Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan have been able to give us in their portrayal of Claire and Jamie as well as kudos to ALL THE SUPPORTING actors. Your ability to make us see the book characters is a talent not many have. Wishing you all the best of we continue into seasons 3 and 4.

42. LMS says:

I’ve read a couple of the books. I know the gist. So, let’s say someone hasn’t read the books… like my mom. She’s just trying to enjoy the show for entertainment purposes: the romance, the scenery, some of the history. She has found the show confusing. There hasn’t been any “introduction” on where they are in this history. They relate characters like, by the way, Jamie, your name has been forged on this list as a following of Charles Stuart. Cringe. Wince. Claire asking Jaimie- what do you want to do? My mom is like- doesn’t Claire already know how this works out? Why don’t they all go through the stone that year? Charles Stuart is on what team? I think we need some recap or wording like they do on other shows for each start. For me, this second season has become predictable. It’s the Jamie is going back to jail again show. So, I have now taken to visualizing other scenarios. Claire, Mother Hildegarde, Jamie’s sister taking on the British. They may as well because Jamie is in the pokey. Mary Hawkins, Extreme Makeover. Bairn or Barn. Trying to decipher whether it’s babies or cow houses. I really hope that season three and four bring back some of the suspense.

• Char says:

ALL go through the stones? You mean Claire should tell every MacKenzie and Fraser that the Jacobites will lose, and if they throw themselves at a rock, they’ll all be transported to 1946 and live happily ever after? How long would it take for her to be back on the witches’ pyre?

And if your mother is that confused about Charles’ “team,” type Wikipedia.org into your browser, type Bonnie Prince Charlie into the search box, and hey presto, there’s your answer.

Lastly, if you’ve actually read “a couple of the books,” the statement that this is the “Jamie is going back to jail again show” makes little sense. It would be rather difficult for him to be a commander in the Jacobite Rebellion from “the pokey.”

43. leslie says:

Congratulations, Team Outlander !!

44. Judy says:

Award worthy!

45. Joe Koncz says:

Best show on TV period!

46. Shanna Vitteli says:

No big surprise. Outlander is the best show Starz has. I am happy that they finally announced it. I hope they will do all the books!!

47. Carole Ahmadi says:

Thank you Starz & Sony and all others involved – This is the best series on television and beautifully
    adapted. Thanks to Sam and Cait for delivering such powerful performances and the other members of the cast and crew who have made this program the most bingworthy of all. The show and the three lead actors all deserve recognition.

48. Thanks for the resounding vote of confidence for this amazing cast and crew, Starz! The fans have been wondering when an announcement for season 3 would come–thank you for exceeding our expectations with not one but 2 more seasons to look forward to on Starz! We couldn’t be happier! Caitriona Balfe is the best actress on TV today!

49. What an awesome gift for the 25 anniversary of the books for the fans of Outlander! At least 2 more seasons?!? I’m so excited to visually share this wonderful story with all of my friends who haven’t read the books :D