‘Outlander’ Finale: Sam Heughan & Caitriona Balfe Take Us Inside Claire and Jamie’s Farewell Scene

Spoiler warning: Do not read on unless you’ve seen the “Outlander” Season 2 finale, Episode 13, titled “Dragonfly in Amber.” Refresh your memory of where we left off with our previous “Outlander” recap.

After a season spent barreling towards the Battle of Culloden, it felt like something of a relief to be spared the gory details of that fateful fight, with the Season 2 finale of “Outlander” spending most of its time focused on what really mattered — Claire and Jamie’s relationship, both in its vibrant immediacy on the morning of the battle, and through melancholy memories that played out across Claire’s face 20 years later as she revisited Scotland. Claire took a monumental journey in the extended episode, moving from grief and repression to a rekindled sense of hope as she realized that Jamie hadn’t died at Culloden, meaning there was still a chance for her to reunite with him, even two decades — and two centuries — after leaving him. (If you want a sense of what the future might hold, check out our Season 3 preview with Caitriona Balfe, Sam Heughan and Tobias Menzies.)

The episode skipped back and forth between the 18th century and Claire’s “present” in 1968, allowing us to meet Claire and Jamie’s daughter, Brianna (Sophie Skelton), and Reverend Wakefield’s dashing adopted son, Roger (Richard Rankin) — as well as catching up with Claire’s Season 1 friend Geillis Duncan — aka Gillian Edgars — before she traveled back through the standing stones and met Claire for the first time back in the 1700s.

The finale provided yet another showcase for Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan’s nuanced performances; Heughan exuded both strength and vulnerability as Jamie was forced to say farewell to his wife — and that was after the ordeal of killing his uncle, Dougal, when the war chief discovered them plotting to kill Bonny Prince Charlie in a last-ditch effort to avert Culloden.

“You just see how desperate they’ve become that they would even consider something as horrific as this, but as Claire says, it’s take the life of one to save the lives of thousands,” Balfe says of their scheme. “It’s a really heartbreaking moment for Jamie because no matter what Dougal has done, he’s his uncle, he raised him for a lot of his life and trained him, and there was a very complicated love there, but there was some kind of love there.”

Heughan agrees, telling Variety in our video recap above, “We decided that Claire should be involved in that and that isn’t in the books. I think it makes them both complicit in the murder of Dougal, it makes them both guilty. So they’re united in their desperation of trying to save everyone and everything, and in doing that they’ve had to kill Jamie’s uncle, which doesn’t sit well with him.”

At that point, Heughan admits, “it’s about trying to save Claire — she doesn’t quite know that until they get closer to the stones.”

The farewell at Craigh na Dun was one of the series’ most heartbreaking and evocative yet, made all the more desperate because the two know that Claire is pregnant again. Balfe admits that there was some debate about how Claire and Jamie’s final moment of intimacy should play out during filming.

“In the book it’s very different, because they stay overnight in a cottage and we were condensing the time and because we’d filmed things in Season 1 where there was no cottage, we couldn’t do that, so then there was a whole thing about ‘where do they have their last moments together? They have sex and where is that gonna be?'” Balfe recalls with a laugh. “There was a lot of talk about up against a tree and I was like ‘no, not gonna happen that way! That’s so not romantic, it can’t be up against a tree, that’s not right!’ I was so adamant about it, and they were like ‘well, it’s gonna be cold and wet, are you gonna wanna be on the ground?’ I was like ‘I don’t care, I’ll be on the ground, it can’t be against a tree.’ It just seemed so wrong and so not beautiful.”

Heughan agreed that Claire and Jamie’s final scene was monumental both for the characters and for them as actors. “We were both very aware that this is the last time they’re together, so there is a pressure, but you also don’t want to pressurize yourself as an actor, otherwise you begin to tense up – we just wanted to see what happened, and out of it came this wonderful almost choreography, this moment where it’s almost like a dance, where Jamie’s guiding Claire with her back towards the stones so she’s staring at him… it seemed to work because we couldn’t work out how to get to Claire to the stones, because she doesn’t want to go.”

Despite the need to save their baby, Balfe says, she felt that “Claire would fight towards the end and she wouldn’t want to leave, so how do we get Jamie to take her to the stones and yet how do we get Claire to go, because I just felt like she just wouldn’t want to. I know she has to go to save her child, but she just wouldn’t want to,” she admits. “Somehow we came up with this beautiful almost like a dance, where they’re locked together and they’ve got their heads together and they’re looking in each other’s eyes and he sort of dances her to the stone and she’s just crying and telling him that she loves him and it’s so beautiful. When we were filming it, I feel like everyone got so swept up in the moment. It’s so sad. These characters are so much a part of us at this point, it was just heartbreaking – how do you let go, how do you say goodbye to someone? It was just awful. I think some of the crew were all misty-eyed, it was great.”

In addition to those emotional scenes in the past, Balfe also deftly managed to portray a wholly new version of Claire in the future — one with 20 years and countless life experiences behind her — while still maintaining her character’s integrity, fire and resolve.

“I went ahead and I read all of the information from [book three in Diana Gabaldon’s ‘Outlander’ series] ‘Voyager,’ that showed Claire in Boston, because I wanted to really get a sense of what her life had been like in that interim 20 years,” Balfe says of tackling the later iteration of her character. “I really wanted to more concentrate on ‘what does 20 years of, in some ways, a compromised existence [do], how does that weigh on a person?’ Claire is a survivor, we know that about her – we know that she’s a fighter, but having lived in a marriage of convenience in many ways with Frank for 20 years, that has to have had an effect on her shine in a way, on her vitality. And yet, at the same point she’s become a surgeon, so I wanted her to have a bit of gravity. She carries herself very well and it was really interesting to play with all of that.”

Balfe says she looked to the work of some of her favorite actresses to inspire her performance, including Charlotte Rampling, Helen Mirren and Meryl Streep. “I watched films they did in their late twenties and then I went and watched some things that they’d done in their fifties and obviously people physically age, but how do you carry yourself?” Balfe says. “It’s always very slight, there’s a maturity, but it’s more in how they carry themselves.”

Despite the tension between Claire and her headstrong daughter – who is reluctant, to say the least, to believe that her real father was a Scottish warrior from the 18th century, Balfe notes that “a big part of Claire now is that she’s a mother, and that relationship with Brianna was very important. At this point when we meet them, they are somewhat strained, there’s distance between them, but myself and Sophie when we were talking about the relationship, [we felt that] it can’t be that this has how it’s always been. Even with Claire’s relationship with Frank, it couldn’t have been miserable for 20 years, otherwise she wouldn’t have stayed in it. So there have to have been moments where things were working, and I think always in the back of Claire’s mind, she’s never really loved him again in that way, but there have to have been good times and they co-parented and there’s joy in seeing your daughter grow up and all of these things, but it has been more compromised, so there was all of that was so interesting to play.”

In the final minutes of the episode, Claire forges a moment of connection and understanding with Brianna, before a revelation from Roger convinces her that Jamie survived Culloden and its immediate aftermath. Balfe recalls filming the dramatic denouement at Loch Rannoch when Claire makes up her mind to try and go back in time once more. “It’s this ridiculous moment where it was really sunrise and the sun really did rise above the stones. We shot an entire night, until 5 or 6 in the morning, and we got the sunrise and it looks like a studio, it looks like we faked it because it’s that beautiful. The sun rises and you see Claire looking at these stones and after we’ve put your heart through the grater and wrung you out, there’s this beautiful moment of hope and promise.”

Thankfully, we’re spared the brutality of Culloden and what happens to Jamie after Claire says goodbye to him at the standing stones, but Heughan promises that all will be revealed in Season 3.

As Jamie lets Claire go, Heughan says, “he knows he’s going to die, but at least she is going to be safe, and his unborn child, who will be Bree. We won’t actually see what happens to Jamie after she’s gone through the stones until the next season – for me that’s a really big question and something that will be really interesting to look at: who is Jamie without Claire, why is he still surviving or what has he got to live for when he’s lost the woman that he loves? She will eventually return, but they’re both older, so who is the man he’s become age-wise, physically? I think that’s the joy of the show, it’s never the same thing, it’s constantly moving, so next season should be quite an adventure.”

What did you think of the “Outlander” Season 2 finale? Weigh in below, then check out what’s ahead with our Season 3 preview.

1. Marti Maasen says:

The finale gives the viewer hope that our favorite characters find each other again. It was a beautifully done ending. Brought tears to my eyes. So looking forward to season 3.

2. Adaeze says:

I never cried so much for any show, i felt their pain and it was the best display of pure love . beautiful ending to the finale episode.

3. lisa mcgregoe says:

Lord ye gave me a rare wife,and god i loved her well,profoundly beautiful words Jamie says just before claire goes back through the stones

4. Devene Ashford says:

Jaime definitely has something to live for, he has his family, sister, her children, the child he has adopted, as well being father and mentor to his first cousin, the son of Colum, as well as the people who work his land, as well as his country. It obviously is not the same, with out the love of his life, but like Claire, he can not take another a mate or he can take one, i.e. Laughrie or someone, who is in love with him, as in Frank and Claire.

5. julie thomas says:

I’m a huge fan of the show and cast. I think the reviews of Sophie Skelton ‘s portrayal of Brianna have been unfair. Give this young actress a chance. Trust Ronald D. Moore. He hasn’t let me down yet and I think most will agree. I appreciate the entire production, STARZ and Diana Gabaldon for making me happy every time I hear The Skye Boat Song.

6. Sharon Davis says:

That’s because Episode 13 is not the final hour. I don’t know if mynewfrontier has read the books, but in DIA, Claire (and the readers) do not experience Culloden because the book is from Claire’s point of view. I’ve read from Ron Moore that we’ll see more of the battle at the beginning of the 3rd season–which is also where we see more of the horrors of the battle in the book. The producers and writers have done an unbelievable job bringing a complex story to life. The idea that this is “a corny romance story” is your point of view. I think I’m pretty safe in saying that the overwhelming majority of readers/viewers see Outlander as much more than that.

7. Could not disagree more with your relief over the skipped battle scene. It felt like a bit of a ‘bait and switch.’ You are right on one point though, it is nothing more than a corny romance story, with time travel nothing more than an elaborate prop. You don’t build up to something then skip over it like was the case here. Yes, I know it was a novel, but the producer/director took the audience on a journey whose season finale failed to honour, tie up, or properly explain what happened.

8. Gwen Barlow says:

Gwen says: I have been thoroughly involved with the Outlander series. I love the books and think that those involved with the writing and all have done a marvelous job making those books come alive. I love the combination of Jamie and Claire and their love story. I probably do not look at all the technical details that others complain about. I like how the stories have taken shape (even when they erred from the books.) What the Outlander team has done with the filming has made me very happy. I don’t have the criticisms that many others have. I didn’t really care for the “French” atmosphere, but the writers made it believable and connected it together very well. If the scenes contained Jamie and Claire, I did not lose interest at all. I am really looking forward to the new season and can hardly wait for the time to pass. I am a romantic history buff and am anxiously waiting for Jamie and Claire to reconnect in the next season. Whether it follows the book or not, their love and devotion is one of the nicest things I’ve seen in a while. Thank you to Ms. Gabaldon for her stories and to Mr. Moore and others in their magnificent productions of this series. You all have my vote and a big thumbs up for the coming seasons. You have an avid fan in me.

9. Carolyn says:

Many thanks to the Outlander crew for another great series. But I am surprised and disappointed that the 1960’s Claire didn’t look 20 years older than the 1700’s Claire (no – a few token strips of grey hair didn’t do it for me). Especially when the makeup team did such a believable job of creating Jamie’s scarred back. All through Episode 13 I kept thinking ‘she doesn’t look anything like a women in her late 40’s!’. It was distracting, and as a women in her late 40’s I thought this was weird. I have read all the books and Claire’s aging is a great element of the story – it helps the audience identify with where she’s at in life. I’m worried now for the next seasons …. please let Claire look like her proper age. I have no doubt that CB can pull it off.

• Sharon Davis says:

I thought 1968 Claire looked very age appropriate. In fact, I was afraid that they were going to age her too much. Claire is very health-aware, so she would take good care of herself. In Voyager, Dr. Joe Abernathy comments on how good Claire looks. Keep in mind that over the course of the series, Claire is going to age at least 20 more years. They’ve got to have someplace to go without her looking like a hag at 60.

10. Kate Barclay says:

I love this story and the electricity between J & C. The desperation to thwart Culloden was truly felt. Now the disappointments; Bree…she did not look anything at all like Jamie. That’s very important, that you see immediately that she is Jaimie’s daughter. Clare states she is so like him, but she was small, not fiery, strong, magnetic and yes the eyes do matter. In this day and age wear contacts, but you can’t make her taller and you can’t make her fiery and magnetic like her father, just stiff acting. Sadly this is bad casting. They could and probably should recast. I’ve seen it done. It really makes me rethink whether I want to see season three. There’s a lot of Bree and Roger and her acting and non Viking looks and eyes and unobtrusive height might ruin it for me. I don’t know if I could manage a season plus of Brianna. Sad.. :'(

11. Cp Segawa says:

Brianna is NOT short in the books…nearly 6′. Good actress, wrong choice.

12. Irene L says:

Brianna in the books was an annoying, bratty, 20-year-old know-it-all. The way she treated Roger (in several books) was horrible. She very gradually grew up and grew out of it, but I almost gave up on the books because of her. That being said I thought Ms. Skelton did a great job of conveying all this in this episode. We aren’t supposed to like her because she isn’t a likable character in the beginning.

I thought Ms. Skelton’s American accent was fine, but coming from 1968 she should have been a little more “groovy” in her vocabulary. She was a bit too 2016, not enough 1968 with it’s “hippie” vernacular. The writers mistakenly put her in school at Harvard, but in 1968 Harvard was still an all-male college. She would have been at Radcliffe, the all women’s college that eventually merged with Harvard.

13. bj says:

It’s interesting that in Laura Prudom’s excellent review, nowhere does she dismiss the work of Sophie Skelton (read again what she says regarding Brianna). Yet many of the viewer comments speak how she does not work well in her part. We know most all viewers absolutely love Claire and Jamie, but here in the last episode for the first time they are introduced to their daughter, and a good majority want her dismissed from the show outright. If you ask me, that’s good casting (and acting). For here’s someone that has known their ‘father’ all their life, with a mother that had never truly said ‘goodby’ to her real father (her mother’s true love) until the final episode of season 2. The girl comes around at the end, lovingly and emotionally embracing her mom once she knows the real truth, and there’s no doubt we will see her in a completely different light next season. The guys really in the know foresaw this, and are banking on it.. (this production is just too well cast in every other role to be otherwise). Is this one of the best series of all time.. only time will prove that.. but should the first two seasons be any indication, tell all your friends to be sure and not miss this one incredible ride.

14. Aurelia says:

I loved the episode. Caitriona Balfe was phenomenal, Sam Heugh was incredible. The biggest disappointment was Sophie Skelton who was shrill and annoying. She appears miscast compared to her “parents”, especially “Claire” who is an open book, we can feel intensely every emotion through her. By comparison, Skelton’s face was expressionless. alfe did not have much acting experience but was much more convincing from the start. I hope Brianna will be recast because at this point, I just don’t find her believable. And yes, the color of the eyes is important!

• Diane says:

Agree completely with comments about Bree’s portrayal: flat and amateurish. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Her portrayal reminded me of Ali MacGraw’s in Love Story: flat, forced, and insincere. Sorry, Ms. Skelton, but you need more acting lessons.

• Kristy says:

Totally agree!!! EYE color is definitely important!!! I’m soooo disappointed in the choice they made for Bree…

15. Selkie NorCal says:

I am happy that they didn’t rip the band-aid right off and have us watch Claire & Jaime say goodbye in one segment. It was crafted softly by the writers by flip flopping between the time travel. Having read the books, I agree that the cutting of initials should have been included, but understand why the cabin scene had to be left out of the tv depiction.
    Dougal being killed by both Claire and Jaime was intense and also an added scene.
    I loved that Claire went to Lallybroch and reminisced about her time there, Jaime standing in the walkway. That had me in tears. In fact, even when he takes her to go back to the stones although completely different from the book. It was still just as heart wrenching to hear and view. Kudos to Sam & Caitriona for outstanding performances in saying goodbye. Sam had to portray Jaime as a warrior, protector, strong and willing to say goodbye in order to give Claire the strength to keep her word and protect their child by leaving him. The writers couldn’t possibly have them both in puddles. Besides, anyone married to a man of honor knows that they will carry the burden and be the catalyst the woman needs to do what is necessary when a woman lacks the will. Could you blame Claire for not wanting to leave him? The scene with them facing each other and him walking her with her back to the stones, my goodness. It was beautiful. I must admit I didn’t like that he said goodbye to her, that he actually said it. That bothered me. But, all-in-all, the episode was meant to leave you feeling that impending loss in bits and pieces. It certainly hit the mark.
    I will say the casting of Rodger is perfection. Although in the books he is a little more timid with Brianna then in the tv adaptation. I think the casting of Brianna was a terrible mistake. Sophie does not have the dimension needed to carry the role. I agree with another’s comment she was a distraction. Nothing like Bree in demeanor, or looks. Maybe she will get better, she was the weak link in the season finale, it showed. I feel terrible for beating her up because I couldn’t do it. But, not one actor has to carry the other in this series, since the beginning and That changed with her being cast as Brianna.

16. Kimberly D says:

I agree with a lot of the comments that the actress that played Bree, is not at the same acting level as the others. She was flat and her performance was off-putting at worst, distracting.at best. Otherwise, I did cry quite a bit and was so enthralled and moved by the entire ep. I hope the love story between C&J becomes more centralized and more examples are shown of their passion and connection. And yes, I want more love scenes and kissing and all of it! We all do! Probably one of the most emotional, wonderful, incredible 90 mins of TV, I’ve ever watched in my life. I can’t effing wait for more.

17. BFrance says:

Bravo to All…Season 3 outstanding…costumes, scenery, acting superb. The final scene at Craigh na Dun between Jamie and Claire beautifully done. Class act…very emotional scene and glad the final love making was not up against a tree thank-you Catriona. Sorry to see Dougal gone, loved his character. Sorrily missed will be so many of the characters, the Duke, Charles Stewart “Mark me”. The Compte St Germaine, mother Hilderguard. Loyal and trusted companion Murtagh will we see him again in the next season? I continue to be amazed by the directing and screen play adaptation and Mr Moore you are wonderful. Thank-you all for truly wonderful entertainment.#1 Class Act….

18. The integration of 18th- and 20th- century parts of the story was handled nicely. I was touched by knowing that even the actors and others working on the set were tearful about the parting at the stones.
    I hated to see this season come to an end! There were so many parts of the story that could have made good additional episodes, but I realize there are time- and budgetary-constraints. e.g., I would love to have seen the bathtub scene when Jaime returns after a night with Prince Charles at the brothel.
    Anyway, I’m so glad there’s more to come for seasons 3 & 4. I eager look forward to that!

19. jaron says:

Could someone please tell me what the last thing was that Jamie said to Claire before she went through the stones? I’ve played it back many times and still can’t make it out.

20. Fresneck says:

I think the actress who plays Brianna needs to be replaced. Her acting was wooden and had a amateurish feel to it, to the point that it was distracting in every scene she was in.

21. drush76 says:

Why on earth did Claire stay married to Frank for nearly two decades if she did not love him? Divorce was not unheard of . . . certainly not between 1948 and 1966. Or did Claire still love Frank, despite her feelings for Jamie?

22. Heidi says:

I’m very disappointed that “young” Jamie and Claire are basically gone now, with the exception of some expected scenes at the beginning of Season 3 that will show us what happened to Jamie after Claire left. I’m sure Sam Heughan will still be gorgeous playing a man in his early 40s, but I will still miss the Jamie of seasons 1 and 2. I know it was done that way in the books (and why on earth D.G. would have wanted to skip over 20 years instead of 5 or even 10 I can’t imagine), but I’m hoping that there will be many more seasons of Outlander to look forward to, and I think it’s too early for Jamie and Claire to become old.

• Sara says:

Eh, Sam Heughan is actually closer in age to Jamie from “Voyager” than Jamie from the first two books. Sometimes I’ve had problems buying him as a “young lad Jamie”, particulary in season 1. So I’m actually looking forward to see him portraying mature man Jamie.
      And don’t worry, many young people would be envious of energy J&C have even in the last two books. I actually love them more when they are older, altough I don’t know how they will be portrayed in the show.

• Lissa says:

Claire would never have left her daughter behind, and she couldn’t be sure that Brianna could go, the too. I don’t know whether you’ve read the book, but it would have been very difficult for them to be together immediately after Culloden anyway.

23. BAK says:

The finale was just ok for me. I was prepared to be in tears at the end but it just didn’t move me like I thought. I wanted the cottage scene and those final tender moments that they had. The writers had so much material there to work with! *sigh*

Brianna was a colossal disappointment in both casting and performance. Let’s hope she improves or season 3 – and especially 4 – will be tough to watch.

On a positive note: I loved Rik Rankin’s Roger and Claire’s visit to what is left of Lallybroch. That was heartbreaking and well done.

24. Carrie says:

I’m a huge fan, have read all the books and watched every moment of the shows. I was absolutely mesmerized and captivated by the season 2 finale, just as I had been with the season 1 finale. I know that they had to change things and I was missing the cabin scene on her departure, but I thought it was beautifully done. Acting, costumes, sets, all fantastic. Such nuanced performances. The noise of the battle at the parting was clearly distracting Jamie but he is a warrior, and he wanted her away to safety. Can’t wait for next season!

25. Rita says:

I was disappointed in how little time was given to Jaime and Claire saying good-bye as well as the lack of emotion from Jaime. Usually Sam is so spot on but I wasn’t feeling the intensity from him that I saw in Claire. Maybe had the scene been given more time to unfold rather than being so rushed it would have felt more intense. Sorry, I love love love this show but I was surprised that so little time and effort would be given to the final good – bye of the two characters who are the heart and sole of this series.

26. Mary says:

I value that at each critical juncture in the story some element of detail is left out (such as actual battle of Culloden), only to be revealed at a later episode through the eyes of a relevant character in a manner that forwards that charachter’s development and personality. This leaves me thinking about the event from a perspective of possibility through my emotional and intellectual filters. You have engaged me in the story – and I like that very much.

27. Rita says:

First, Luther, I love your post. As far as Outlander… I love this show. It sets the bar so high on all levels, acting, costumes, sets, writing…it’s amazingly well done. My only criticism, which I hate to say because the show is so great, I just didn’t feel like Jaime and Claire were as connected. The finale, when they’re saying good-bye, Claire’s emotions were so appropriate but I just wasn’t feeling it from Jaime. I don’t know… Maybe it’s me.

28. Jennifer says:

Beautiful! It went by so quickly wished they could have done a 2 hour episode but for the time restraint it was magnificent! Looking forward to season 3 and season 4 and “crossing my fingers” season 5 and season 6 etc. I cannot wait to see Jamie and Claire reunite and Bree meet Jamie.

29. Heather Trainor says:

I missed it! So disappointed. Sometime technology fails. Will it be repeated at some point?

30. Luther Patton says:

I’m a true Romantic of a person. Scottish on my dads side. My family descendants helped settle Western Virginia. Colonel James Patton was the Captain of the ship the Walpoole who brought indentures from England to Western Virginia that is now called Blacksburg, Virginia, on August 26th, 1738.
    The Series of Outlander has instilled in me more of my Love for Scotland, as well of my descendant’s from Scotland.
    The Patton’s was part of the Clan Mclean, who was at The Battle of Culloden.
    Outlander is so beautifully done. The character’s in the story bring the fullness out of what Scotland and France must have been like in the 1700’s.
    I would be born May 2nd, 1946, The Battle of Culloden April 16, 1746 201 year’s later . I have not read the book. But I will buy it.
    I cannot hardly wait for season three of Outlander.

31. Chris says:

Absolutely loved the finale!! Heartbreakingly beautiful!! The wait for Season 3 will be dreadful!!

32. Teresa Pansevicius says:

Can’t wait for season 3 my mind is reeling over the thought of seeing the young french boy grown-up and taking care of Jamie like a real son so many senerios

33. Janet L Canary says:

I cant wait for the 3rd series of outlander.its my favorite show.i loved the 2d season.now i will go through outlander withdrawl,having to wait for season 3 to start.best show ever.

34. Jazzy says:

I’m in the minority!!!!!!! 5-7 mins of Claire and Jamie’s goodbye? Come on guys!! We could have done less of just Claire and less of Rodger and Bree and given more time to the most heart felt written love story!!! I should have known that this would have happened because how the writers handled episode 111 in season one naming it the Devils Mark. The most powerful time in Jamie’s (Sam was so emotional) in taking Claire back to the stones yet they buried it at the end of the episode. I’m not sure if the Ron Moore and the writers want to put their own mark on the show for tv but for us book readers please keep the most IMPORTANT love parts of the book intact and give Outlander diehards a break!!!!!!

35. karen says:

I loved the entire episode! So well done and Clair’s transformation to older and wiser was perfect. She is still a beautiful woman.

36. I loved this episode. It was well written, well constructed well directed and very well acted. The only thing that concerned me was them omitting the part where Claire and Jamie each cut their initial into the base of the others thumb, because that is integral to the story and comes up repeatedly in future books. Maybe someone can write it in as a flashback next season. Kudos to all concerned. Thank you all fir another great season. Xx

37. Gary Dolan says:

The finale was well done, especially the waltz to the stone. I admit I also got misty. I thought the daughter was a weak point, most of the dialogue did not quite ring true. I cannot wait until Season 3.

38. Elizabeth says:

I agree that Bree’s eyes should have been blue. I also hope she gets more volume to her hair. Loved Clair and Jamie’s performance and how it was laid out. Clair should have shed a tear at Lally Brock. I wish Dougal had shown a bit of the emotion of the book, and Ruperts reaction was a bit dry I felt for having been as dynamic a character threw out. Lastly I know for films sake a streak was need for visuals but it was too much. I don’t know anyone in their mid to late 40’s who has a perfect streak. Loved how the were able to condense it down. Loved how beautiful Scotland was as a background. Muragh and Fergus oh how I love them. Can’t wait till season 3.

39. Brenda says:

Felt the liberties taken with the finale were excellent. However at the very least Brianna’s eyes need to be blue how many times is that along with her height mentioned in the books. No more liberties that far from the books please. I felt she had the cockiness she gets from her father and the strength she gets from her mother and will work herself into our hearts and heads. Would love to have seen it as a two hour finale. Please keep that in mind for all 7 at least season finales😆

40. Trudy Boyle says:

They are so beautiful together…I cried and cried…I just can’t wait for season 3..It really is an extraordinary series

41. Margaret Morrison says:

Wish the finale could have been two hours to see more time with Claire and Jamie. The ” marking” scene and final love making in the book were so important to their goodbye. Bree was flat- I am hopeful she works on her acting chops. Tough role to fill but so important to get this character right. Loved Balfe’s and Heughan’s performance- so tender.

42. Vasi Danbury says:

Loved every minute of it. Can not wait until season 3!…

43. Lina Papadopoulou says:

Having read the books (the first three), I have missed a lot of the detail in them, but even so, the series is masterfully done and the last episode, crammed with a lot of information, with the atmosphere of the coming battle, the back and forth between the 18th and the 20th centuries and the parting scene, was evocative and sad with a glimmer of hope at the end, which promises a lot for season 3. I must admit, I would have loved to see the scene at the cemetary where Claire sees the tombstone bearing Jamie’s name and hers as his wife. I will re-read Voyager until next year. Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan were superb at the end scene.

44. martha Atkinson says:

I thought it was grand …what the people wanted to see…thank god to the internet as we can try to see onwards to season 3…now I will get the book and read on …cant wait for the season 3 start again 2017

45. Peggy O'Neal says:

Being a lover of the books for several years now I believe strongly that Season 2 didn’t do justice to Jamie and Claire’s epic love. The amount of time spent on their parting from one another should have been at least as long as the wedding episode and the loss of Faith episode. Having said that I loved – seeing Murtagh’s undying loyalty; saying goodbye to the boy Fergus; happily witnessing the back of Charles Stewart; being shocked by the curveball of Dougal’s demise, and; leaving the second season on a hopeful note. Lastly I truly believe Sophie has been miscast. If she is truly the daughter of Claire and Jamie even at 20 she should have had a presence and magnetism about her which would have shown thru the poor dialog. Regardless I eagerly await Season 3 and hope for better integration of the love story and a reinvention of Briana.

• Elizabeth says:

I agree Breeanna was poorly cast there was nothing regal about the girl. She didn’t have the look of a highland princess about her. Hair was flat eyes were wrong and she had no fire.

46. Marcia Kiernan says:

I loved it! I think the writers made very wise and beautiful choices about what to include and leave out. And so interesting not to continue with battle scenes. I still love this series so much. The acting brought tears to my eyes. Sam and Caitrina were magnificent.

47. Raylee Campbell says:

Personally I found the start of Season 2 dull, but in saying that I found the book the same. It was only as the story went on that I fired my interest again. I also had trouble with reading the beginning of the 3rd book.
    The way this was incorporated into the final episode (213) was absolutely brilliant.
    Congratulations – well done. Love it.

48. Denise Neve says:

I completely agree with Susan Hine. I didn’t feel the need to shed a tear. The actors were great but the scene selection and script had no heart. Ron Moore needs to move on. He and his writers are failing to tell the story. It was a huge mistake to omit the Jamie’s drunk scene in the beginning, the grapebarber scene and all the other scenes that show the depth of Jamie and Claire’s relationship. Instead we get an irrelevant Brazilian wax scene. How stupid can you get? Ron Moore needs to find other work. He’s using Diana’s beautiful story as a vehicle to promote Tobias, who’s bland an cold, and Cat. Get with the story Ron or get a new job.

49. Wonderful and brilliant….it makes one want to be there to help…..

50. Susan Hine says:

Where to start. The last episode of season 2 was a monumental disappointment. Ron Moore just doesn’t get the significance of Jamie and Claire’s relationship and I am surprised Diana Galbadon didn’t argue for better. It was rushed and disjointed and never built to what should have been a heart stopping episode. The author tells us it is a story of enduring, lasting love and yet in 90 minutes of air time only eight are devoted to the most pivotal scene of the book. We had nearly a whole episode of Claire loosing her baby (a common occurrence in those days) and this final act of saying goodbye (an unthinkable selfless act) should have been given the same consideration. Sure this is a story of Clarie’s journey but one gets the feeling all of Jamie’s scenes are cut short and we never get to feel his pain as we do in the books. There is plenty of time to introduce new characters in Season 3. Adaption is one thing. Loosing the essence of the story another.

• Kristin K. says:

I agree. Huge disappointment. Bree is all wrong, the Bride of Frankenstein gray streak looks ridiculous and why is Frank dead in his late 40s or early 50s? All that and she went to med school and trained to be a surgeon? It was too disjointed and an all around mess.

• spanielpatter14 says:

Frank was a few years older than Claire; and she’s nearly 50 when she brings Brianna to Scotland; so Frank died in his mid-50’s or so. It was mentioned in the book that he had been diagnosed with a bad heart; but a traffic accident killed him. And in the book, Claire did become a surgeon during Brianna’s childhood; which wasn’t easy in the 1950’s; and she would not have made it through without Frank’s support (though he initially disagreed with her choice).

I do think that more attention could have been paid to the relationship of Jamie and Claire this season, especially after “Faith” – there was scarcely any intimacy or passion seen between them. For a show that became noticeable at least partially because of beautifully done love and sex scenes; Season 2 seemed to suffer from a romance drought. I am looking forward to a passionate reunion between Jamie and Claire next season.