‘Once Upon A Time’ Casts Gaston in ‘Beauty & the Beast’ Storyline (EXCLUSIVE)

Wes Brown Gaston Once Upon a
Courtesy of Disney/ABC

Once Upon A Time” has found Belle’s dangerous suitor, Gaston.

The chiseled hunter will be played by “True Blood” alum Wes Brown who’s been cast in an upcoming episode, Variety has learned exclusively.

Gaston’s storyline will take viewers back to Belle’s (Emilie de Ravin) time before she met Rumple (Robert Carlyle), furthering the exploration of “Once Upon A Time’s” twist on Gaston’s role in the “Beauty & the Beast” tale.

Previously, the role “Sir Gaston” was played by actor Sage Brocklebank, who appeared in one episode in “Once’s” first season.

The episode in which Brown’s Gaston will appear has not been set yet, though it will be during the back-half of the fifth season, which returns on Sunday, Mar. 6.

Aside from “True Blood,” Brown’s other TV credits include the CW’s “90210,” “Hart of Dixie,” “Private Practice” and NBC’s short-lived drama “Deception,” in which he was a series regular.

1. I am waiting for Once a pond a Time to come back. I love this show. I tape it when I am not able to watch it. I can’t wait to see more of Emma and Hook. Do love all of the storyline though. I think it is a wonderful show to watch and love all of the characters on it.

2. diane says:

I was wondering what you were going to do next…..this is FANTASTIC!!!!

• Martha H Poplin says:

I am not a regular viewer of Once Upon A Time, but I will be watching when Wes Brown appears as Gaston. He is a very accomplished actor, and my favorite actor. I have seen him in various roles and he never disappoints me.

3. Lyly says:

Can’t wait for Once Upon A Time to come back. Been a fan since season 1 episode 1. Love the story lines and twists.

4. Glen says:

This show is absolutely terrible in every way.

5. OUAT re-cast Gaston, when they should have had Sage Brocklebank. He did burly, brutish and brainless routine well. I’m seeing mix reaction to the new guy… Some people (mostly Hookers) swooning shipping Belle with Gaston, regardless of the fact that OUAT Belle said she could never love someone as superficial as him, and BatB Belle was being blackmailed to marry him, which if the marriage had taken place, would have resulted in a marriage-bed rape… While other people are focused on the tradition of the character, and are disapproving of the new guy’s pretty boy look, when he should be more bulked up and the original OUAT Gaston was taller too.

It’s a flashback to Belle before Rumple. Although, I wouldn’t totally rule out Gaston suddenly showing up in SB too, and NewBelle (Season4&5Belle) getting pregnant by Gaston, because the writers have been very sadistic to RumBellers.

Ironically, it would have made more sense to have Gaston show up after the original curse ended, and him change to human form, than to do the stuff the writers actually did in season 2, 3, 4 & 5A. Gaston could have been trying to reclaim his ‘betrothed’ with the likely help of her father Maurice, and Belle could have fought to be with Rumple and make her own choices. That would have been more in keeping with the story than the bull that was thrown the audience’s way, including Belle repeatedly disapproving of Rumple using magic, though he was a wizard when she fell in love with him, the half-baked throw-away Lacey plot, and the similarly half-backed Will and Belle adultery plot. Since Adam and Eddy, are obsessed with love triangles, instead of the WillBelleRum triangle that made no sense, they could have dealt with RumBelleGaston with Belle rebelling against the patriarchal notions of her father to express her strength and independence in her choice to love who she wished: Rumple. That would have been a far more compelling tale.

6. Crosby says:

i would rather see cruela de vil back

• Tamara says:

Yeah Belle didn’t have a problem with magic in general. Her issue was Rumple putting her second to the dagger/ his source of power. He lied and manipulated her constantly, and he is doing it again. Belle wasn’t an adulterer. She would have had to have sex with Will for that.

• Seiko says:

Cruella is coming back for several episodes. Why haven’t they announced Mal and Lily returning though is confusing, who even cares about anyone else.

7. Jennifer says:

Thats the life of a Disney princess. They all live their lives waiting for the man or around the man. They know nothing in the way of living like a free women. Ha I guess you have to be a manless evil Queen, in order to do that. Bad wrap to give women.

8. Glen says:

And yet again what little story Belle gets revolves around her boyfriend.

9. tc180 says:

….ummm….they ALREADY cast that guy…like ages ago. You’re telling me they’re going to have a different actor for him? Seriously, does this show just keep forgetting what it does season to season? Cause the incongruities are getting OUTRAGEOUS.

10. Diva Duckling says:

I’m happy we will see more of Belle’s pre-Rumple past. I wonder if we will see her after her mother’s death or before that?