NFL's Chargers, Raiders and Rams File
Courtesy of San Diego Chargers

The 20-year NFL drought in Los Angeles may soon be over.

On Monday, three teams from the NFL — the San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams — all filed to relocate to Los Angeles for the 2016 season.

The NFL confirmed the petitions in a statement.

“The applications will be reviewed this week by league staff and three league committees that will meet in New York on Wednesday and Thursday,” the league said.

It’s unclear which of the three teams will get approval from NFL owners. Each candidate needs a 75% affirmative vote to relocate their franchise.

Last year, the Chargers and Raiders proposed a $1.75 billion stadium in Carson that both AFC teams would share.

The NFC’s Rams, meanwhile, were first to offer to build a new stadium in the LA market, proposing a $1.86 billion facility in Inglewood.

The National Football League has said it will only support one new stadium in Los Angeles to be shared by two teams.

“The applications will be presented for consideration at next week’s league meeting in Houston on Tuesday and Wednesday,” the league said.

The Chargers have been Southern California’s only NFL team for the past two decades after the Raiders and Rams both moved away from Los Angeles in the mid-1990s.

San Diego mayor Kevin Faulconer expressed his frustration with the Chargers’ decision late Monday.

“The more San Diego has done the less engaged the Chargers have become,” he wrote on Twitter. “This announcement isn’t a surprise but it’s still disappointing for generations of Chargers fans.”

The two approved NFL teams may temporarily play at the L.A. Coliseum, home of the USC Trojans, which is expected to undergo major renovations this spring.

 

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 4