‘Nashville’ Nearing Season 5 Renewal at CMT

Nashville season 5
Courtesy of ABC

It looks like “Nashville” will be saved.

CMT is eyeing a pick-up of the fan-favorite series for a fifth season, Variety has learned, following ABC’s cancellation that sent Twitter into a frenzy.

CMT was one of many potential buyers for “Nashville,” which sparked interest from four or five different venues, according to Lionsgate Television, the studio that was shopping the show around with ABC Studios and Opry Entertainment.

Related

Nashville season 5 premiere date

‘Nashville’ Revival in Talks at 4 to 5 Platforms, Original Cast Still Under Long-Term Deals

Lionsgate had been actively searching for a new home for “Nashville,” immediately after ABC cancelled the bubble show. Support poured in from rabid fans, dubbed “Nashies,” who were responsible for the show’s #SaveNashville campaign that was trending on social media for days.

CMT is a seamless home for the country music drama, which is surely seen as a “get” for the Viacom-owned country cabler. While the ratings (1.8 rating in adults 18-49, 6.7 million viewers overall in Nielsen’s “live plus-7” estimates) were not strong enough to warrant another season at ABC, those types of numbers are big for CMT.

Last month on a call with press, Lionsgate’s head of TV, Kevin Beggs, said they have “long-term deals with the cast,” though as the CMT renewal is not yet official, returning cast members have not been announced. Ed Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz are on board as showrunners for Season 5, as the duo was attached before the show was cancelled at ABC.

With “Nashville” more than likely returning (though the Season 5 CMT renewal is not yet official), it seems there will be a long future for the show beyond a fifth season.

“These kinds of shows can go forever and ever — obviously that’s our hope and expectation, but we’ve got to do it one season at a time. So right now, we’re all about Season 5. So we hope to land Season 5 and keep talking about this show for years to come,” Beggs said on last month’s call.

1. Kathleen Pereira says:

Thankyou so much for saving this show I am 60 years old and I love it watch it faithfully from the first season cannot wait hurry for this returned 5th season

2. Linda says:

I am defiantly a fan of the show. I was so disappointed when ABC cancelled it. I will continue watching it CMT. Thanks I sure hope this happens!

• Julia Short says:

YESSS… 😁! I am one of those “Nashies” so excited that CMT listened to all of us chatter on social media! Cannot wait until Season 5 starts! THANK YOU, CMT!!

3. Kathleen darcy says:

I hope they bring back Cynthia Davis! Love to hate her!!

4. Christy says:

Thanks CMT. Promise to spread the word and make sure your committment to Nashville is a success.

5. We are so thrilled to hear this news. We love the show and will watch it forever if it is on. THANK YOU LIONSGATE AND CMT.

6. carol vinson says:

we really hope you pick up nashville it is our favorite show.

7. Jess says:

Thank god, love this show!!

8. Gozer the Destructor says:

Definitely needs to get a season 5 on CMT and subsequent dvd releases. Bummed that ABC let it go. Watched it faithfully and will continue to do so.

9. Rebekah VS says:

The new “showrunners” are FABULOUS writers. My favorite, actually. Cannot wait!

10. Jaye Ayyh says:

YES!!! I will DEFINITELY watch! Thank you, CMT!!!

11. suzanne carroll says:

PLEASE CMT PICK UP NASHVILLE, ONE OF MY FAVE PROGRAMMES ON TV, I FIND IT INSPIRING AS A SONGWRITER BASED IN IRELAND, LOVE THE MUSIC AND THE CHARACTERS IN IT, LONG MAY IT CONTINUE

12. Kathy Barro says:

I so hope CMT picks up Nasville. I cant believe it was cancelled. So many of my friends watch this, it is my favorite show. I love every single charcter on this show…so talented. Who participicipates in thes Nielsen ratings??

13. Joni says:

How exciting! Love the show, and will continue to watch it!

14. Teresa Fobes says:

One of The best shows EVER!!!! BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!LOVE from INDY NASHVILLE ROCKS!

15. Linda chivington says:

One of the best shows out there p!ease right g it back….I need my Nashville fix every week..

16. GAmes says:

Come on CMT….make my day!!!

17. Phyllis jones says:

So hoping Nashville is picked up by CMT. We look forward to it each week. Shame on ABC. They don’t care about keeping entertaining shows at all.

• Tina Schultz-zariat says:

I agree its one of the best shows on television should not even be a question..like scandal..to be honest lately im loving my nashville and greys and empire best shows

18. SUNI JOHNSON says:

Sure hope CMT will pick up this show Nashville…and not let it die away….hope to hear ASAP on this outcome…Love the show

19. Gary D Trager says:

So glad to see CMT going after NASHVILLE!!!!! we be watching for it!!!!!!!!

20. Yvonne says:

This is my favourite show I was so disappointed when they cancelled it

21. SHIRLEY ZARDA says:

Was really bummed out when Nashville was cancelled !! Needs to come back for sure!!

22. Rebecca Brady says:

This could not make me and my best friends happier! Life for us continues!

23. Shawna Lynne Hughes says:

Yay!!! Makes me happy! Please keep Juliette alive!!!

24. I sure hope it returns. They have to keep Juliette alive though! She is so good on the show.

25. A giant “Thank You!” to Lionsgate for not giving up on a show which could eventually rival MASH as a long running TV series. The reason is simple: excellent writing, great music, mullti-talented actors and compelling storylines. There has never been a bad episode. I hope the damn thing lasts until Connie Britton is in a rocking chair!

26. Cece says:

CMT would be so smart to pick up this show. Such a natural pairing!

27. Darrel says:

Yay and hope they bring it back it was one of my favorite shows, I already miss it alot since the last show

28. Patricia Blalock says:

PLEASE, PLEASE pick up Nashville…I absolutely love the show. A huge country music fan and love the music on the show as well as the story line. Even my husband watches it …

29. Gail Freer says:

Please continue Nashville! It’s one of the best shows on TV!! CMT please pick this up!

30. Wanda says:

Yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!!!!!!!! I hope all the cast members come back with the show. CMT is a great match for Nashville. Best show on TV besides my daily soap opera. The talent on Nashville makes all of our hearts sing. Maybe one day I can meet some of the cast of the show. Keep up the great, fantastic work.. Show Nashville and all the characters WE LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!

31. Maxine Burns says:

Thanks to whoever had the knowledge to pair Nashville with CMT! They’re a perfect match & Nashville is a #1 show on TV and should definitely be brought back! I hope all the cast returns as their talents as actors & performers are astounding!

32. Beth Orfield says:

Yes please pick it up. I am a huge fan. The talent is awesome

33. Donna says:

YES!! Love Nashville, the cast and the music. So happy to hear that CMT may pick this up!! Please bring it back on CMT!!

34. Robin says:

I love, love Nashville. Nobody ever asks me what shows I am watching. Where to they get their numbers which establish ratings.

35. Doris Geisenhaver says:

you are smart CMT for picking this up, love you for that, I have been watching more on CMT, you have some fun and nice movies on, Love Reba reruns and that “Last Man Standing is a hoot, love it

36. Cathey Potts says:

You don’t know how happy you just made me today :D

37. Julia Short says:

YES! The writers left it open (very smart move), and there are so many story lines to go. Think about bringing into ‘guest spots’ this year’s winner of ‘The Voice’!

38. Janet Roberts says:

This is great news! I love this show and would hate to see it go away like so many good programs do. 🤗🤗

39. Flora says:

Best news to start off my day! I couldn’t believe how upset I was when ABC cancelled this GREAT show! Looking forward to many more terrific episodes with these great actors/singers.

40. Lynn says:

Please save Nashville I so love this show!!!! I was heart broken when they said the show would be canceled. I have watched it since day one.

41. Anon says:

I loooooveeee this show! Thank you God!! :D

42. Pam Seigler says:

It is one of the very few shows I watch. Cancel it I might as well put television out on bulk day.

43. Robbin Otto says:

That is great news! However I am a cord cutter. I do have a roku and a HULU account. Right now there is one show from CMT on HULU, hopefully once this show is available “Nashville” will be one of them as well.

• Kim says:

Alas I am a cord cutter too (or about to be–have the most basic cable I can get right now)! I can only watch network TV live–DVDs later. Would try Hulu or Netflix but even though I have “high speed” internet it’s really not high speed enough to enjoy–and if I got higher speed that still means cable! However, I am really glad CMT may pick this up, for I’ll be able to see it at some point, and it’s a win for them as well. I wouldn’t be as excited were not Zwick and Hershkowitz still attached, and hopefully Callie Khouri will stay on too? They are so creative and have experience handling networks, although that shouldn’t still be a problem. Why it still seems to be a problem on ABC mystifies me; I thought shows don’t have to have the numbers they used to, and ABC has been really supportive of recent shows. However, I do wonder if they may have interfered with the quality this show originally possessed. It certainly doesn’t help shows when networks don’t decide to continue them until the last minute–after the finales have already been filmed!

44. Linda cruz says:

CMT just made my day!! I really hope Nashville finds a home there. I loved the show and music from Day One.

45. musicdelite says:

Well that would not work for the tons of us that have OTA television.

46. Patty says:

I am so excited to read this news. I love “Nashville” and was very sad to hear that it was being cancelled by ABC. I sure hope that CMT is going to pick it up. I will be watching!

47. Karen says:

Nashville is THE only show I look forward to every week…I’ve been watching since it started…really bummed at ABC cancelling it and truly hope CMT picks it up for years to come…Love the actors the music and the story!!

48. Nancy says:

This show needs to be brought back. Definitely a winner! Love the cast. Please bring back Nashville!!!!

49. Jon says:

Was this article written by Variety or by Lionsgate Television PR department?

50. Sherrie says:

Such GREAT news!! Hope this goes through! Thank you to CMT for always looking out for us country fans!!