‘Nashville’ Officially Renewed for Season 5 at CMT

Nashville season 5 premiere date
Courtesy of ABC

Nashville” has officially been renewed for Season 5 on CMT, Variety has learned. Hulu will continue to make “Nashville” episodes available to stream the day after they air on CMT.

“CMT heard the fans. The wave of love and appreciation they have unleashed for ‘Nashville’ has been overwhelming,” said Brian Philips, President of CMT. “’Nashville’ is a perfect addition to our evolving line-up of big music specials, documentaries, and original series. We see our fans and ourselves in this show and we will treasure it like no other network. ‘Nashville’ belongs on CMT.”

“Nashville’ has long been a fan favorite show on Hulu and we are so proud to continue to make new episodes available for fans to stream the day after they air,” said Craig Erwich, SVP and Head of Content, Hulu. “We look forward to bringing even more episodes of this acclaimed series to its passionate and devoted audience.”

“CMT and Hulu are the perfect combination for our iconic and beloved series ‘Nashville’ and we want to thank the incredible fans for their unwavering support — #Nashies, you helped make this possible,” said Kevin Beggs, Chairman of the Lionsgate Television Group. “We also want to extend our appreciation to the State of Tennessee, City of Nashville, and Ryman Hospitality for their unending support. They have been a key ingredient to the continued success of this show and we’re thrilled to extend our partnership for a fifth season.”

“We always had faith that we would find a way to bring ‘Nashville’ back to its devoted fans, and we’re very proud to be in partnership with CMT and Hulu to extend the life of this series,” said Patrick Moran, Executive Vice President, ABC Studios.

On Tuesday, Variety reported that CMT was the venue that had landed the former ABC series, after four to five different platforms expressed interest in picking up the cancelled drama. Lionsgate was aggressive in shopping “Nashville” around after it was cancelled in May.

ABC axed the series after four seasons. Though its fans — known as “Nashies” — are rabidly passionate, the numbers weren’t strong enough for the broadcast network to renew it, with an average 1.8 rating in adults 18-49 and 6.7 million viewers overall, according to Nielsen’s “live plus-7” estimates.

For the fifth season, Ed Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz are on board as showrunners. The duo were brought on to the show before ABC cancelled it.

The series is produced by Lionsgate, ABC Studios, and Opry Entertainment. The deal, negotiated by Lionsgate Television Group President Sandra Stern on behalf of Lionsgate and ABC Studios, Sarah Levy of Viacom Kids and Family Group on behalf of CMT, and Hulu executives, is an orchestrated initiative to ensure that “Nashville” fans will continue to have the same level of access to their favorite show.

No word yet on a premiere date for Season 5 or potential cast shakeups.

1. Karen says:

I hated the Nashville story on the last show. I am a long time fan from the beginning.
    I felt the producers pulled a fast one on the fans. Don’t care about the other story lines.
    I’m done with it. Good luck Connie Britton.

2. Chris says:

I am disappointed that you are massaging a mixed race romance. I love country music, but I have limits. It used to be my favorite show.

3. marilyn says:

Oh thank you so much cmt for picking up Nashville. Its my favorite show. Just watched the first episode and it was amazing

4. David Lewis says:

Whoopee! And please, please, please make the DVDs of series 4 available – watched them as broadcast but want to watch them all over again. Superb television, superb storylines, superb acting and wonderful scripts. Here’s to series 12!

5. Jennifer Martin says:

Thank God! Tired of all my shows being cancelled! Thank you CMT and congrats to the cast! Yay!

6. Janice Wedge says:

please keep me informed what date the premier will air, as I am a huge fan, never miss an episode.

7. Wired for Wisdom says:

With “Ed Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz are on board as showrunners” the show is going to be WAY better then ever it was! ABC made a HUGE mistake! Can’t WAIT for season 5!!!!

8. LISA says:

LOVE THIS SHOW, CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Happy Person says:

THANK YOU CMT WE LOVE IT.

10. Nina says:

Yayyyyyyyy!!

11. Cindy Loofboro says:

I love this show, and it is was the only one I reserved the TV for one hour a week with no interruptions. I was heart broken when I learned it was cancelled. And I am so glad to hear that CMT picked it up and I will be able to continue to have a show to look forward to.Thank you CMT

12. Alice M Rowe says:

I love this show immensely…..so glad CMT stepped up so that we viewers can continue to share the songs and actors that make “Nashville” great!

13. Pat Conroy says:

So did Juliette Barnes survive the plane crash or will Nashville just move on without her?

14. i know there are more country music fans out there to make show stay on T.V. A.B.C. YOU BLEW IT.

15. MikeCh says:

Wonderful! Big thanks to CMT!!

16. GLAllen says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you CMT! I love this show and was heartbroken when it was canceled! I hope all the actors are coming back…….

17. robin blair says:

Love the show!! A super talent cast (yes-I have downloaded their songs), great plots with twists and turns-a must watch favorite.

18. Alex M says:

So happy! Thank you CMT ! The show is a winner!

19. suzi says:

YEA!! I was really DISAPPOINTED when my boyfriend told me that the show had been CANCELLED!!! WHAT??? Thank you CMT for picking it up!! I hope all the original actresses & actors are going to stay?! They are all such great characters & singers!! All are very talented!! Love the storylines & the songs!! Bad move ABC!! What about “Blood & Oil” also? Kind of reminded me of “Dallas”- country & cowboy & wealth & Don Johnson!!!?? Any interest or talk about that? Would be another great show for CMT!! I know alot of my friends were looking forward to the 2nd season – ABC didn’t give it a chance!! Just to let you know CMT – on Kathie Lee & Hoda (Mon. AM) Hoda said her “favorite thing” was that “Nashville” was picked up by CMT – she signed a petition – & she LOVES the show!!! SO HAPPY!! I couldn’t agree more!!! THANK YOU CMT!!! Plz let us know when the season will start!!! Don’t want to miss it!!! Juliette’s plane????

20. Leah says:

21. Lori Draves says:

I’m so happy. Nashville is my favorite show.

22. Anne Powell says:

So thankful CMT stepped up and will host “Nashville” for us this fall!!! You continue to show you want more dedicated CMT followers and you just obtained several million!!!! Thank you for stepping in where ABC didn’t care to and give ‘Nashville’ fans more to watch!!!

23. Patty says:

So good to know there is still some intelligence in the television programming world – congrats CMT for picking up Nashville and not leaving millions of fans in the lurch with a cliff hanger ending never to be resolved. Shame in ABC for doing that to fans of the show who have invested so much. I have never watched CMT but you can bet I will be tuning in for Nashville.

24. Peggy says:

So happy they are coming back . Love this show!

25. Kim says:

Thanks so much for really listening and considering the fans and not giving up. Let’s hope most of the main characters can return!

26. Carol Sitterson says:

Thank You CMT for giving me back my show. I looked forward to watching Nashville every week Thank You from the bottom of my heart

27. Evan Nave says:

Too bad you ruined a good show with all your LGBT propaganda thumping. Drop the stupid contrived LGBT story line and maybe you’ll get your audience back.

28. NANCY HUTCHISON says:

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH, CMT, FOR SAVING ONE OF THE BEST ALL-ROUND SHOWS ON TV! CANNOT WAIT TO HEAR WHEN SEASON 5 WILL PREMIER……PLEASE LET US KNOW ASAP!!

29. Cathey Potts says:

I love you CMT and Hulu Thank you from the bottom of my heart <3

30. Kathy says:

YES…Thank you CMT – I can’t wait for Season 5. ABC’s loss.

31. Kim Branthoover says:

I get the “business” factor in the ratings game (war!), but to make an analogy to compare the Nashville series situation to a consumer goods, brand, retailing, etc. business principle: To alienate, actually disregard and abandon, the customers you do have in favor of “non-customers” is ass backwards judgment and bad business. Thank goodness somebody listened to ” the customer” for a change, good judgment did prevail and this highly entertaining and engaging series will continue–as it should!

• Kim says:

Well said–that does seem to be the business model a lot of the entertainment industry has. A lot of money is at risk and so there’s a lot of fear. However, as you say, why worry more about the customers you don’t have than the ones you do have? If we aren’t enough for the show to make money, get more customers! And continue to make a better product so more people will buy! While ABC continued to advertise the show thank goodness, I don’t know if it really worked to increase its audience and is rumored to have negatively impacted its quality. (As for me, it’s just dumb luck that I caught a rerun of this show and got hooked, otherwise not being a country music or soap opera fan the commercials never made the show appealing to me.) Thank goodness not everybody in the biz is as afraid and values the show and thanks to the fans who spoke up! I look forward to more and more diversification in the entertainment industry. Thank goodness it’s not all in the hands of just a few networks anymore! (Now we as consumers need to make sure the many networks aren’t owned by the same few companies.)

32. Donna says:

Yessssss.. Thank you thank you for taking over “Nashville” at CMT, just as soon watch CMT then ABC. a lot of fans will follow Nashville.. there are great actors who can really sing on this show..Love this show from day 1..Also will spread the word that Nashville will be on CMT..

33. Alice Ryan says:

Thank you CMT and Hulu. Can’t wait to see Season 5 – Go #Nashies:)

• Michelle says:

YES!!!! Thank you CMT!!! This is one of my favorite tv shows of all times! I literally cried when I watched what I thought was going to be the last show.