Michael Weatherly to Star in CBS Dr. Phil Pilot After ‘NCIS’ Departure

Michael Weatherly NCIS final episode
Greg Allen/REX/Shutterstock

NCIS” star Michael Weatherly is staying in the CBS family.

With the news that Weatherly will exit “NCIS” at the end of the current 13th season, the fan-favorite actor has found his next gig: starring in CBS drama pilot “Bull,” which is based on Dr. Phil McGraw’s early career.

Weatherly has been cast as Dr. Bull, the lead in the pilot, who is inspired by the talk show host, during his days as head of one of the most prolific trial consulting services of all time. His character is described as having a physicality and feral intelligence that make him magnetic to women and a bruising candor. He is the head of a company that analyzes juries to help develop defense strategies.

Related

Michael Weatherly NCIS final episode

‘NCIS’ Star Michael Weatherly to Exit After 13 Seasons

Other series regulars include Freddy Rodriguez, Geneva Carr and Chris Jackson. Rodriguez will play Benny, Bull’s former brother-in-law and the only lawyer on the team who provides legal strategy and acts as the lawyer in their mock trials; Carr will play Marissa, a psychologist, neurolinguistics expert and licensed sex therapist working on Dr. Bull’s team; and Jackson will play Chunk, a stylist on the team who helps prepare defendants for trial, and a former All-American lineman.

McGraw co-wrote the CBS TV Studios pilot with Paul Attanasio, and both will serve as exec producers with Amblin Television’s Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank, plus McGraw’s son Jay McGraw, who will produce by way of their Stage 29 Productions banner. Rodrigo Garcia has been tapped to direct the pilot.

Weatherly has played special agent Anthony DiNozzo for 13 seasons on “NCIS,” since the top-rated series’ beginnings. He announced his departure from the show back in January, but not before he hit a major milestone: Last night, the drama aired its 300th episode.

Weatherly is repped by WME, Anonymous Content and attorney Joel McKuin.

Cynthia Littleton contributed to this report.

1. Sharon says:

Your ego is totally out of control. Your a looser!

2. tara says:

Michael Weatherly is a schmuck. Has it occured to any of you with your heads up his butt, that he did NOT leave the show of his own accord, but was most likely canned due to a clause in his contract? Think about it – he played a navy COP, & was convicted of a federal offence; if you were a tv producer, would you want a convicted drunk driver on your military show?
    When contracts were up for negotiation, did he help Cote get her rightful salary? No, he wanted more for himself.
    Dude has millions… but when the time comes to buy gifts, all he does is call Dad.
    A greedy schmuck who needed even more dough than his co -star, who made Tony more likeable than he should have been. Dinozzo was an ass.
    As for this new show…. sounds perfect for him. Listen to Michael talk for crying out loud. Dude is full of his own crap, & just as much a “drunk on his own hype” bs as Dr. Phil.
    He’s an arrogant, cowardly schmuck who would be perfect as an overbearing hothead who thinks his turd smells like roses.
    And let us not forget: without apparently once thinking about his wife or his kids or his friends or the strangers on the LA freeway, this eegit downed a few vodka tonics & drove drunk.
    Dunno bout the rest of ya, but in my book….. this makes Michael Weatherly nothin but a cheesy ego-driven schmuck.

3. Jumbybird says:

Nothing is wrong with leaving the show if you want to do other things, 13 years is a long time.
    But to play Dr Phil? Come on man!

4. Harry says:

Weatherly is one very stupid jerk leaving TV’s number one show to start this stupid show we thought he had more brains.

5. Dorothy Colman says:

Can’t believe he is leaving the number one show. It seems like once they leave you never see or hear from them again although he has another show. I hope it works out for him. The series just won’t be the same.

6. Betty says:

I am shocked and very disappointed. Give us time to forget Tony and definitely playing a doctor is totally off the reality grid. GET REAL!!!!!!

7. Are you kidding me, he’s leaving NCIS to play Dr. Phil!!! He’s not even a real doctor! Weatherly is making a huge mistake!

8. Marylynn says:

Sounds pretty bad! I have zero interest in Dr. Phil. For THIS he left the #1 show on TV?

9. Nancy Wells says:

I’m so Plusy MW is going to be in a new series. I would watch anything he was starring in and this sounds great! I have faith NCIS will continue top ratings, although Tony will be greatly missed as were Ziva and Kate, but love the NCIS cast that is left! Plus, if you read this story line, it is not Dr. Phil but is based on a job he had before he was Dr. Phil.

10. Hubert Abel says:

Dr Phil? Oh Boy, have to choose between that, and Swamp People. : (

11. Linda says:

I love Michael as DiNozzo, he was perfect for the part, however, as much as I loved him in THAT part, I will not be watching him playing the egotistical Dr. Phil. Tony was human, Phil is a sanctimonious know it all with an ego larger than life.

12. Sarah says:

I Love Michael As Tony DiNozzo, I Will Miss Him– I Hope Their will Find A Great Looking Man To take his Place, for the Next two yrs . But there Will Never Be another Tony — HE BETTER NOT DIE ON THE SHOW , If Their want us to Keep on watching it. As Far as Michael Playing A Younger Dr. Phil, One thing, I Can not stand the real Dr Phil He is Fack. Talks W/ a Sques in his voice , GOOD LUCK W/ WHAT Every is in your future I Pray it’s All GOOD

13. HARRIETTE says:

GOOD LUCK 4 ALL U DO MICHAEL LIKE U A LOT

14. Janie says:

I love Michael’s character on NCIS. I had a feeling he had something lined up and wouldn’t stay away from the public eye very long. I think he’s learned from others that exiting a top rated show can be suicide. I caught an interview with the cast on The Talk and he commented that he hopes they’ll bring him back occasionally. He isn’t just walking away, he just moving on the right way for his fans to still like and follow him to a new series. Good luck Michael!!!

15. Edward Oden says:

I have always said. if I was to have a hit series I would ride that gravy train till it came to a complete stop. a perfect example is to look at the actors that thought they were better than the show, that they were above all of that. where are they now? they forget that without that series they were on, people wouldn’t even know there name.

16. Berta keeney says:

Don’t leave, don’t you know everyone who leaves a great show for something else never makes it?? DON’T GO…

17. Bill H. says:

Seriously???!!!??? What a dumb move! The Ziva character was good for a while, but it got old. So dear Michael W. hope you have saved cos this new role will end up in krapper – where it belongs. Bill

18. E Mara says:

No sale for me. Dr. Phil is a total phony. It’s all about him and nobody else. Weatherly should have stuck with NCIS, but I guess his ego needed more. His bank accounts must be full.

19. Dark Angel says:

Don’t tell me his love interest is “loosely” based on Jessica Alba too?

20. Tina McGrath says:

He isn’t playing Dr. Phil. He is playing a character loosely based off his early career. Furthermore, who cares what he plays as long as he is playing a part? Michael Weatherly is awesome! I’ll tune in even if it’s just to watch him sit in a chair reading a newspaper. But I agree with most, don’t kill off Tony. It would be too hard to see him go. I’d rather him go off to start his own team, or better go off with Ziva.

21. Katie Woodman says:

I don’t feel that sounds very interesting to me. A jury consultant isn’t the most exciting plot line.

22. Carol Ashley says:

What makes him work is all the other actors around him. They all fit so well together. When Ziva left, it sure left a dent in the show and still does, it just isnt the same as they fed off of each other. I see enough of DR Phil as I go through seeing whats on my TV. I hope they dont kill him off, because he needs that spot when Bull gets cancelled

23. Chris Gapske says:

Who cares about DR Phill ? I mean bla have hope but if it lasts more than a season. Who knows. Rather see him run a NCIS/JAG spin off going back to JAG maybe. Take Budget from NCIS LA.

24. John Deaux says:

DR Phil is a Richard !

25. EK says:

Looks pretty boring after NCIS and a role playing a charmless egomaniac to boot. Poor choice, especially considering what is out there for him.

26. Michele says:

Michael you will be missed; brash, arrogant, funny guy. I love him. However new endeavors keep you fresh, just don’t for the ‘RULES’! Good Luck always.

27. Rose Andrews says:

I do like Michael Weatherly and he is playing a character “based on Dr. Phil’s Early career”, before he became an egomaniac. I will give it a try….it has got to be better than these awful reality shows~!!

28. Robin Cohen says:

And Robert Wagner Got to have him, too.

29. Barbara says:

You were one of my favorite actors. why would you leave NCIS to star in a Dr. Phil show? He is the most hated person I know. I will miss you Michael, but I won’t watch the show.

30. Dusntan says:

The last thing we need is more crap related to Dr. Phil. He terrorizes his staff and he is the ultimate bottom-feeding a-hole. No offense to Weatherly but I hope this show goes down the drain where it belongs.