Megyn Kelly on Trump Attacks: ‘Courage Is What We Need’ (VIDEO)

Fox News Anchor Megyn Kelly tackled hot-button issues at Variety’s “Power of Women” event on Friday. In a powerful speech, Kelly addressed her growth as a reporter and anchor, her run-ins with Donald Trump, child neglect and how to deal with fear.

She recalled a conversation with Katie Couric from two days prior, in which Couric asked Kelly what she learned from the first presidential debate and her contentious back-and-forth with Trump.

“Has anyone here heard of that?” she joked.

“Fearlessness is false,” she told the audience at Cipriani’s in New York. “Adversity is an opportunity, and John Denver had all the answers.”

She added: “I’m scared about a lot, often. Fear is normal; the goal is not to get rid of it but to walk through it. Courage is what we need.”

“OK, I’m tough,” she later confessed in response to Vanity Fair calling her “the Toughest Anchor at Fox.”

Related

Megyn Kelly Donald Trump

Megyn Kelly Talks Trump, More In Exclusive Interview

She also talked about early start as a TV journalist.

“It was 13 years ago that I was sitting at home in Baltimore, Maryland, an unhappy lawyer with a newly minted resume and dreams of breaking into broadcasting,” she says.

She didn’t have any connections in the news industry, but when she tuned into Lifetime’s “The Jessica Savitch Story,” about the newswoman who broke into the business in the ’70s and became very successful when it was a man’s industry, Kelly thought that if Savitch could do it, she could too.

She cold-called many TV news directors, including Bill Lord, who ultimately gave her that first job, and Roger Ailes, who took a chance on her and put her on national TV and provided her “all the opportunity a young reporter could ever ask for.”

Kelly began the eight-minute speech by talking about Child Help, a charity that helps abused and neglected at-risk children, founded by Sarah O’mara and Ivonne Federson — stars of “Ozzie and Harriet.”

“Our babies are dying, not because of disease or warfare, but because of anger or apathy or other conscious decisions made by their own caregivers.”

She brought attention to the number of reported cases of child abuse, saying that “nearly 20 cases” had been reported since she began her speech.

“That’s just the ones reported,” she adds.

Child Help tries to educate children through in-school programs and has a hotline that can provide help in 170 languages. It also has recovery centers called villages where the most severe cases go, receive therapy and begin their recovery.

Kelly asked the audience to donate to this charity that helps kids and “greets every boy and girl with ‘All who enter here will find love.'”

The event, presented by Lifetime, also honored Oscar winners Julianne Moore and Lupita Nyong’o, fashion designer Vera Wang and ballet star Misty Copeland.

“It’s dignity, courage, principal, independence,” Kelly said. “It’s showing, not telling, the world that we are a force to be reckoned with.”

The Fox News anchor also spoke of her late father and his love for John Denver songs. The lyrics for Denver’s “Today” remind her of how she wants herself, her children and everyone is the audience to live.

She ended her speech with the lyrics from that song: “Today is my moment, now is my story. I’ll laugh and I’ll cry and I’ll sing.”

1. Sharon wright says:

I believe this Kelly speech is to woman. Woman don’t like Trump. She just can’t stop. Disgusting.

2. Barb hoffman says:

I think you guys are confused as to who attacked who in the Kelly/Trump debacle!! I am a strong woman but I dint attack people and expect not to get attacked back and then whine about it!! Trump for President!! He’s our only hope!!!

3. Cary Cook says:

I really wonder about these short anti-Megyn comments by people here and on Twitter. Do you barking dogs have any substance? Or do you just resent good looking intelligent people?

4. Cary Cook says:

Megyn for president. I say that as a white male who has never voted for a woman in a major election.

5. Of course men know “we are a force to be reckoned with”. Only we can give birth; yet, there’s nothing they can do that we can’t. Freud was wrong as he referred to the so-called “penis envy” (maybe a few of his female patients felt that way, and he simply generalized; or maybe his female patients who confessed their “penis envy” were gay). In either case, they were the exception, not the rule.

As far as procreation, the truth is that men feel kind of “left out”. That is why they nurture an unconscious desire to “give birth”. If they could, they would be “divine” (since giving birth is divine), that is, women’s role in the world would then be merely peripheral (men’s deepest feelings can be explained by means of their ingrained hatred of all sorts of competition; no matter what, they have to win). One question remains: are these feelings cultural or genetic?

I would call men’s desire to procreate “procreation envy”. That’s why, I think, a great number of men in the western world and most of them in the east have to demean women (the same way Trump and others do), subjugate their wives and daughters (and even kill them if they don’t do what is socially expected of them), etc. These men’s hateful behavior is a result of the so-called “superiority complex”, that is, a defense mechanism that hides an innermost feeling of inferiority.

6. Clarification of my recent post. I am speaking of Trump’s “childish ways”. My sentence structure could have been much better. :)

7. It’s amazing some would come her and attack a person’s ability only because she disagrees with their favorite candidate. She had excellent ratings before Trump because she is good at what she does. (And I bet if 95% of her detractors were honest they didn’t have a bad word to say about her pre-Trump’s childish ways) and will have them after Trump. It says more about those who would hurl invective and what drives them to do so than anything she has done. Paradoxically, she is honest enough to admit to fear at times for whatever reason than someone who “hides” his fear of not being revered and obsessively sending attacking tweets at 3 or 4 morning to someone because he thinks they don’t “treat him fairly”. Seriously.

8. rudydezutti says:

ms kelly leave FOX we wont miss u!

9. Dexter Smith says:

Our babies are being killed by the security forces of America. BLACK LIVES MATTER!!!

10. Zebbie Smith says:

I found that to very moving! I think you have grown, you have done your job well . For many I think that scares many people especially some men. I see you as a great role model & maybe some that grit you have came from your Nana! I don’t know you but when you are on I feel li I do because you bring an understanding to much in the news , The one thing I really like is the facts you get to the heart of the story no matter who it is. You don’t play favorites & to me that is what your job is. You don’t try to influence the viewer but you get to the truth . I truly appreciate the fact that you believe that is your job & it is up to us to then make our own mind up. Thank you very much! God Bless You & your family.

11. Matt says:

This woman is a lightweight.

12. houx says:

Fake no different the Glen Beck she is getting to big for her britches. Ego maniac if she is so smart, but to dumb to know when to shut up and drop it. Block Fox channel. She’ll go down like all the rest they all fade at 45 menopause will be karma. The rise and then the great fall. Remember Jessica Savage, Laurel Dew, Jan Pally, Paula Zon, Elizabeth Vargas ……………………..and so it goes.

• Carol says:

What are you trying to say? She’s too dumb to shut up and drop it, and getting too big for her britches? You have got to be kidding!! You sound like an imbecile. Megyn is an intelligent, self respected professional and I’m sure she can take care of herself and not let people like you and Trump intimidate her. In my opinion, she’s the best Fox has to offer including O’Reilly. I love how men especially are intimidated by her because she is so bright and has the personality to match.
      Megyn, you are a success story and you deserve it. Keep up the good work.

13. MEGYNbimbo says:

ok shes is aterrible person most importantly she scared to shyt of donald trump and throw lil shots in there. trump was right. she cant get any big coverage these days w/o mentioning his name LOL.

14. Congratulations you go Lady!

15. shutyourpiehole says:

implant city, you are officially over exposed. go away.