‘Marco Polo’ Canceled By Netflix

Marco Polo netflix cancelled
Phil Bray for Netflix

Netflix has canceled “Marco Polo,” Variety has confirmed. The Weinstein Co.-produced series streamed for two seasons on the digital service.

Originally developed at Starz, “Marco Polo” premiered in 2014, with its second season debuting earlier this year. It becomes one of only a handful of original series to be canceled by Netflix, including “Bloodline,” “Hemlock Grove,” and “Lillyhammer.”

The series starred Lorenzo Richelmy as the titular Italian explorer and Benedict Wong as Kublai Khan. It was also among the more ambitious and costly efforts in the history f the company’s original series. Season one cost a reported $90 million. Production for that first season included a construction crew of 400 and an art department of 160.

In his 2014 review of the first season for Variety, Brian  Lowry wrote, “While ‘Marco Polo’ possesses scope, scale and an inordinate amount of exposed skin, the series exhibits only a sporadic pulse. That leaves a property that can be fun taken strictly on its own terms, but deficient in the binge-worthy qualities upon which Netflix’s distribution system has relied.”

“Marco Polo” was executive produced by John Fusco, Dan Minahan, Joachim Ronning, Espen Sandberg, Harvey Weinstein, Bob Weinstein, Ben Silverman, Chris Grant, Dave Erickson, Peter Friedlander. The series was produced by Electus and the Weinstein Co.

1. Lynn says:

I’m sadden by there are no more Marco Polo episodes! I loved it, learned from it….big mistake.

2. Adam says:

I literally just now finished watching Season 2, only to find out I won’t find out about the cliffhanger left? This show was visually brilliant and the story captivating, I’m saddened that there won’t be a season 3… fuck you Netflix only cancelling such a good show without atleast finishing

• Chris Delany says:

Agreed, the damn shows owe us a conclusion! So tired of becoming a loyal follower just to have show stopped b4 the story is completed. Such @ssholes.

3. Courtney Para says:

Noooooooooo!!! One of my favorite shows!

4. Lyubo Gri says:

Shame, I really loved that show :(

5. Hugo Sarmiento says:

Love the series. Very disappointing that is being cancel by Netflix

6. Robin Brinson-Considine says:

The BEST series in a long time. You always cancel the best ones …

7. Matt Read says:

Brian Lowry review

Didn’t agree with it.

And this is a huge shame

8. Matt Read says:

Short sighted and that review was pretentious rubbish.

Best thing on tv on this subject matter was brilliant and would of made a profit nownwoth the likes of Vikings and the last kingdom this genre or series is in demand

9. nathan says:

This sucks, what sucks more than the cancellation of this show is that we won’t soon see a oriental themed tv show of this grandeur and epic proportion any time soon, and if we do, we’ll always look to compare it to Marco Polo which at its height will always be remembered as the first and the best tv show in this type of setting.

10. mcbeeler says:

I loved Marco Polo, and was looking forward to season 3. They always seem to cancel the really good ones.

11. Asad says:

this is not fair please finish the story….

12. Somps says:

WoW! I can’t believe this was canceled. I was hoping that this was just a marketing ploy and that they would come back and say, “We changed our mind. It’s back.” No such luck I guess. Who makes these horrible decisions? Fire them.

13. Jung says:

You have to be kidding, this was one of the only shows I was looking forward to.

14. ajpixs says:

Naturally one of the few original shows ive seen in a long time and it gets canned… ugh… this is why I usually try not to watch shows till they are all completely finished.

15. Marla Garza says:

Absolutely one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. Please finish the story.

16. Marla Garza says:

I love this show. Please finish the story.

17. Martin says:

Seriously? Why is everyone involved so overly judgemental? It was a fantastic show! It had a cult following didn’t it? This is what they cut, considering the masses, upon masses, upon masses of other absolute shite on Netflix?! Too expensive to make? Have some ambition. Not up to standards? I think alot of people were kinder than that, but even if Netlix thinks that, put the effort in and make it better. See it through for God’s sake! Bad decision.

18. Courtney says:

Second only to GOT; I thought it was a great series. Sorry to see it go 😥

• Courtney says:

I’ll never forget the Khan sent that herd of horses into that camp dragging fire 🔥 balls 👍🏼

19. Alex Z says:

Just cancelled my subscription

20. Elva says:

Noooooooo!!!!!!! Marco Polo is one of the BEST shows made!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How can we get it back?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Kara says:

Are you out of your mind. Marco polo was top three on Netflix, with the last kingdom and dark matter. Are you out of your mind!;;

22. DE says:

This is/was the by far the best Netflix original I’ve seen. So captivating, uniqe, visually stimulating, and of great breadth. Bennidict Wong as khan is so well done. Kind of reminds me of Tony Soprano- you want to like him, but then he does something totally brutal because he’s the boss- and you’re conflicted…..and you like him anyway! Such a mistake not seeing this one to the end…..farewell Netflix.

23. Andrew Fritz says:

I just watched the two only season and this show was amazing. I loved it. I was bummed when I got to the end of season 2 and I was left hanging!

24. z says:

I kind of want to cancel my Netflix subscription now…. how do we have shows like Iron Fist and The Last Kingdom which are just bland and uninspired and have bad costume design, but Marco Polo and Sense8 get cancelled. They’re just cheaping out on production costs. May as well go back to cable

25. i hate when a good show cancelled.and this was a very good show.I m angry

26. Yairy says:

I can’t believe they cancelled it! I love the show! Netflix you are wrong!

27. Yuval Rakavy says:

It is very sad that the series was canceled. At least they should do some damage control and produce one or two episode to “close” the storyline so people will not feel hanged. This will cost a bit (much less than a full season), but at least customers will not feel that they have been “cheated”

28. Jean P. says:

I loved the series, I could not wait for a 3rd Season. I binge watched both seasons when they released non stop 2-3 days.I am very disappointed it was cancelled.

I wish Netflix just stop making decisions on reviews by said “experts” and the gossip headlines. Read the feedback from the viewers in your platform instead.

Hope this is resurrected somehow.

29. Timothy S. Seeley says:

Not bingeworthy!? Someone needed to tell me because I had a GREAT time binging on it…

This really sucks…hopefully someone else will pick it up like Longmire.

30. Justin Walters says:

Its been sitting in my list for a year now and I google to find out when season 3 will start only to find this. One of the best shows on netflix. Poor form cancelling the show.

31. Too bad, Excellent! Binged oo its two years after discovering.

32. nancy says:

seriously Netflix! This was the best ever!

33. John says:

Hulu make your own original series hirer the laid off actors from marco polo and start your own similar series from s01 on. I’ll help you get alot more subscribers if you do so.

34. John says:

This is BS you need to bring marco polo back for season 3 or I’m switching to hulu and will also get my 640 thousand youtube followers to do the same in my next few videos.

35. Shirley says:

I am very upset to learn that season 3 has been cancelled.

36. Psssh says:

I do not understand how a series of such great magnitude and depth gets cancelled, but so many meh/s remain. I have been patiently waiting, only to find out that my wait will continue…forever. It’s unfair, not cool, and honestly bothers me a bit. It was shows like this that made my pastime brighter, and that has now been ruined.

37. Y says:

Once again, crappy self absorbed egotistical entertainment reviewers and grubby money studio men with no aesthetic expertise determine what WE can watch! Define what WE consume as manna for our senses and brain cells!

News flash – We are sick of super heroes, sequels and franchises, zombie flicks, teenage love/lust/angst, and shows which do NOT reflect the reality of diversity we live every day of our lives.

Remember the idiots who didn’t buy automobiles because they were a passing fad? You have just created your own extinction Netflix.

• JBP says:

It is simply amazing how wrong the terrible morons that review shows and claim to be experts can brand always are. They are like politicians. Who tells them they are worthy of attempting to be real critics, their mothers? You can always read one of their reviews and know the exact opposite is true.

The only way to properly use their reviews is to only watch the shows/movies they deplore and skip the shows/movies they think are worthy of nominations to their awards.

If you want to be a successful studio exec. just hire a miriad of these expert critics and do EXACTLY the opposite of whatever it is they advise you to do. It is like the Seinfeld episode where George becomes successful by doing the opposite of everything he normally would do. Sad!

38. Michelle says:

I love the Marco Polo show. I can’t believe they cancelled it

39. David Crider says:

Just finished season 2 WOW and then to find out Netflix canceled the show. You really suck Netflix.

40. Temujin says:

I can’t believe Netflix has cancelled this!Finished season 2 today, such a rich,colorful, human production,brilliantly acted…especially Benedict Wong. Chingis will be turning in his grave!May Netflix be wrapped in the best persian rug and subjected to the hooves of a hundred horses. You CANNOT do this you barbarians.

41. Fiona says:

Hit Netflix where it hurts, there are other online streaming services. Maybe if enough people begin to move away from Netflix they may take their customers views on-board when they decide to cancel shows. Boooooo to Netflix !

42. itsgeeyousee says:

How sad. I waited forever for this. I figured it’s been awhile since I watched season 2 so I googled season 3. This is heartbreaking.

43. Kevin says:

Just binge watched season 1, am extremely excited to watch season 2, googled when season 3 is coming out because I know I’ll be done with season 2 before July 4th, and I found this?!?!? This is a really good show. I’m stunned. Maybe if Netflix did a better job promoting their original programming they’d get more viewers. I constantly ran into this show under “suggested for you” but never watched because I never heard anything about it. Only reason I checked it out was because I was stuck home for 3 days with the flu. Great show. Wish I watched it sooner and I wish Netflix would get a clue.

44. Mirza says:

Netflix you are full of shit! People in Pakistan loved this show for its detailed depiction and breathtaking art. But majorly, because it featured the mightly ancestory of the Mughals who decended from Mongols. You morons have lost a huge viewership and the respect of Pakistanis.

45. Vickie Flippen says:

Netflix, You truly need to pay attention to the comments of your Loyal customers! Marco Polo was one of the Best series you have had. It was an Epic, historical, adventurous, thrilling series with superb writing, Award winning cinematography, a stellar cast with Emmy, Oscar acting and you cancel it! AGAIN, you cancel a phenomenal series that you haven’t even promoted or given a true chance for viewing! This series is historically true, factual, that people of all ages would be captivated by and especially helpful educationally for our children from 6th grade through College and on! This fabulous series shows and tells what teacher’s and books leave out! You have AGAIN done a disservice to your LOYAL customers by cancelling this series! I Love it and I demand that you finish what you started with this series! It may be costly to make, but so are all Epic’s, series of this magnificent quality, and you have more than enough money to make Season 3 and forward seasons, for We, your Loyal paying customers have more than paid to see the completions of this Marco Polo series! If I recall, this is the 2ND Marco Polo series you have shown, the first had Brian Dennehey as Khan. I didn’t finish it, it was Nothing compared to this Marco Polo! This series is outstanding! You have made a grave error in cancelling this series! How tragic for you to support, spend money on movies with filthy language, satanic movies, zombie movie’s, unrealistic, uneducational shows just to fill a spot. I Love Netflix, as others, but If you continue to cancel the great series we love, as this one, you will lose your loyal customers. I truly hope you Listen to us Netflix, do what is right, give us what We ask and pay for! We want Season 3 of Marco Polo!

46. Renzo says:

Its 3am and i just watched the last episode to find season 3 not happening!!! Wtf neltflix

47. TPL says:

Disappointed as hell! Cancelled Netflix.

48. Dee Tike Smooth says:

I think it’s bull crap that this show has come an end. It’s decisions like this that make Us lean towards other top streaming services. So what about how much it cost to produce. Promote shows, movies, etc. the same as we see on YouTube or television commercials that advertise the Netflix name and Brand. SMH come on Netflix Marketing Team. Get your heads in the game and make season 3 happen. I have 2 post this on My Page. Wow…

49. cocreate8 says:

Shame on you Netflix. I just discovered this series. I found the subject matter fascinating, the cast superb, the filming amazing … what is wrong that you would choose to eliminate a terrific series as this?

50. Andrew Zimba says:

Extremely disappointing! The show was just beginning to reach its stride. The Khan and Hundred Eyes were such awesome characters!