‘Marco Polo’ Canceled By Netflix

Marco Polo netflix cancelled
Phil Bray for Netflix

Netflix has canceled “Marco Polo,” Variety has confirmed. The Weinstein Co.-produced series streamed for two seasons on the digital service.

Originally developed at Starz, “Marco Polo” premiered in 2014, with its second season debuting earlier this year. It becomes one of only a handful of original series to be canceled by Netflix, including “Bloodline,” “Hemlock Grove,” and “Lillyhammer.”

The series starred Lorenzo Richelmy as the titular Italian explorer and Benedict Wong as Kublai Khan. It was also among the more ambitious and costly efforts in the history f the company’s original series. Season one cost a reported $90 million. Production for that first season included a construction crew of 400 and an art department of 160.

In his 2014 review of the first season for Variety, Brian  Lowry wrote, “While ‘Marco Polo’ possesses scope, scale and an inordinate amount of exposed skin, the series exhibits only a sporadic pulse. That leaves a property that can be fun taken strictly on its own terms, but deficient in the binge-worthy qualities upon which Netflix’s distribution system has relied.”

“Marco Polo” was executive produced by John Fusco, Dan Minahan, Joachim Ronning, Espen Sandberg, Harvey Weinstein, Bob Weinstein, Ben Silverman, Chris Grant, Dave Erickson, Peter Friedlander. The series was produced by Electus and the Weinstein Co.

1. Mickey Holm says:

Well, I guess this show wasn’t feminist enough or something…. I am SO disappointed with Netflix right now! They make so much shit with Adam Sandler, and have air boring shows like The Crown, but beautiful and epic shows like Marco Polo doesn’t deserve more than two seasons?! I loved this show, because it was so different than anything else shown on TV at the moment. The locations, the timeline, the costumes etc. It was all amazing, plus the cast was among the strongest I’ve ever seen Netflix put together. Im cancelling my subscription, and hoping that someone else might pick up Marco Polo where Netflix left it -Maybe Starz could get it back? now that they have ended Black Sails….

2. Janice Dougherty says:

There is little hope for anything that is well produced, well acted and historically accurate with fully developed characters. I am not surprised but VERY DISAPPOINTED. So much of Marco Polo was key to understanding human history. I am suspicious that there was a major political bias in this cancellation. We all know how $ rewrites history and facts.

3. Can someone please give us the name of the asshat that thought this one up, so we can take it up with them?

4. Tiffany Durham says:

This news regarding Marco Polo not returning for Season 3 is devastating ! I have been so eagerly awaiting this new season after the incredible first and second seasons. This is shocking ! While financially I can understand the costs of production, it is still such an incredible portrayal of the times. The historical content with their own poetic license, is still, by far one of the finest stories to be shown for so many viewers, myself included. If there is any way to get it back, PLEASE …GET IT BACK !!!! The actors were absolutely incredible, it was binge worthy from the start ! The depth of characters was inspiring and the levels to which the costume designers went was unsurpassed by even the most highly acclaimed of blockbuster films on the big screen !… Honestly, this was one of my most favorite shows to date ! Please find a way…

5. dragonkatet says:

Really disappointed to hear this. Marco Polo was one of the few amazing series that Netflix had available. The characters were deep, the landscapes breathtaking, the action thrilling and the stories were intense. WHY would you cancel it? /smh I don’t know who makes these kinds of decisions in the company but they need a pink slip. Seriously, you offer a crap ton of B movies that no one watches, and one of the best series you produce and you cancel it after 2 seasons? Ugh. It’s becoming not worth watching ANY of your original series and becoming invested in them because you’ll likely just cancel them and leave the fans hanging. Stupid, stupid move, Netflix.

6. KhanofKhans says:

Fix this. Marco Polo must return. Where is the Khan? What of that bloody Christian scepter left on an unmarred, empty encampment? Netflix cannot do this to so many viewers. Please, listen to the people, give us some sort of closure.

7. Frank phukyu says:

Wow netflix just keeps fucking up. Make 10 movies with adam sandler where he doesnt even try but netflix donesnt care, in fact they just pay him more and make another 10 terrible movies with him. A series people on your service actually really like and you pull the plug super early cause someone there fucked up royally and we have to pay the price as consumers?? Fuck that as i type im canceling my subscription and moving to hulu. I sincerely hope everyone else who loved this show does also. Cancel your accounts and move to hulu and show netflix how much a fuck up really costs.

• Stephan says:

I love the show and really can’t believe that they have cancelled it. I am in agreement with the previous comment – the movies of Adam Sandler sucks and they cancel Marco Polo – really!
      Bring it back guys – truth with fiction – Loved every moment.

8. Skull says:

Good. Just another phony feminists historical rewrite. Why can’t they just make a show that reflects the truth? I mean a naked Chinese court harlot battling three fully armed and armored Chinese warriors and she handily defeats them??? Total bullshit! It lost me right then and there.

9. Marsean says:

I hope they get it back goin this show is pretty damn good somethin i really us watched a season of in 3 days.. Great show cancel something else damn so many lame series this is not 1 of those promote it better shit

10. Cheryl Everill says:

Boo. (Hoo)

11. Damz says:

Darn it! Marco Polo is one of the best series on Netflix! You got alot of crappy movies there but removed this one?! Seriously?? Atleast give an ending to be fair with the viewers. For all goodness sake!!!

12. John says:

This was perhaps the BEST SHOW on Netflix, and I just don’t understand why they would cancel it, or why they even lost $200 million on it! Yeah, thats right.. according to hollywoodreporter.com, Netflix lost $200 million on this show and thats why they cancelled it. Makes absolutely no sense at all! How could they have lost so much on such a hot and popular show! I am stunned, and terribly disappointed with Netflix for this!

I saw we teach Netflix a lesson about REAL PROFIT LOSS and CANCEL OUR ACCOUNTS, and in the box where it says what reason you’re cancelling for? Answer “Because you cancelled Marco Polo, so we’re cancelling your PROFIT!”

13. Valley says:

Extremely disappointed. Was my favorite show on Netflix. Out of all the other “CRAP” they could of canned and saved money on they cancelled a brilliant open ended show such as this. Safe to say i wont be renewing my subscription again once it finishes this month. RIP

14. Maja says:

I just can’t believe it! Discovered Marco Polo lately and watched two seasons in one week which for single working mum of two is an amazing achievement. Great capturing exotic show! Very very disappointed as there is so much rubbish going on on Netflix and something good is just thrown in rubbish. Definitely unhappy!!

15. Justin Searls says:

I just finished binge watching Marco Polo and I think it is an amazing show!! I fully understand that some shows don’t make the cut and have to be canceled but if that’s the case it would really be appreciated but the thousands of ppl that do like those shows for them to maybe put out a movie or even a final season to wrap up the story’s here we dedicate our time to watching these shows and becoming a part of the story’s only to be left hanging with no closure of what happens to the story and characters we’ve come to love and hate!!

16. John McGee says:

Strike three, Netflix. My patience for the filth you perpetuate was already running at its end, but shows like Marco Polo helped balance the scale.

17. Elti says:

great show, feeling very sad hearing canceling it, that is a very bad decision

18. Ben Murphy says:

Just watched the 2 seasons in a week and was absolutely amazed by the show. Great depth, great character’s and brilliantly written with so much more to tell. Has everything you want in a tv series. Haven’t been this dissappointed since i found out Rome was cancelled after 2 seasons. Netflix by cancelling this show you are confirming to me and a lot of other people that you are just completely stupid. Think I might go to a different provider. Change this decision now.

19. GEORGIANA TUDOR says:

Loved the show …..So sad :( that they had the bad ideea to stop it
    :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

20. Phil says:

If Netflix intents are to make people binge-shit eating they’re on the good way… seriously canceling Lillyhammer and Marco Polo? WTF?!

21. Bryce Fregin says:

Such a great show.

22. Gavin Roberts says:

Gutted

23. Jim Renschen says:

How very sad. I just discovered MP and was wowed by it. The production left me stunned. It was so rich in every detail. Sadly it appears a star that burnt twice as bright, but half as long. Next to House of Cards this is only the 2nd show on Netflix that I absolutely loved. I’ve been a Netflix member since the beginning when it was launched. This is the first time I’ve been utterly disappointed by Netflix. This is a story that needed to be aired. It’s so different from what many come to expect on television shows.

24. Andy Diluvian says:

cancelled the best show you guys have put out in favour of crap like Bill Nye. Yeah I think I will cancel my subscription. This is a terrible idea. I guess it wasn’t quite feminist enough or something. Disgraceful.

25. Monique says:

There was so much left untold. So many untied ends. I was really looking forward to another season *😢

26. Steve boxsell says:

Loved that series….. why cancel?the acting,costumes,locations were brilliant
    So disappointed

27. tom says:

how do you cancel one of the best shows ever ritten??? this is pathetic

28. Blah says:

What! Marco Polo was one of my favourite shows. I tried watching The Crown and couldn’t get past the first two episodes.

29. Jenn says:

Unbelievable! Just binge watched both seasons! Awesome show! Netflix, you suck!

30. Kevin says:

This is bs! Netflix you suck!

31. Billy says:

I’m saddened by this.it was a great show

32. Jakob says:

Not binge worthy? I just finished watching seasons 1 and 2 for the third time. I just googled season 3 and this is what I find. So damned disapointed. This sucks.

33. Mark says:

I am a fan of Marco Polo since season I. Honestly, I didn’t like TV series until I watched Marco Polo and Games of throne. It’s really disappointing to see that it’s let go. Thought at least I’ve got 2 TV series to follow.

34. Don Jones says:

Con’on man! That was such a great show. I was looking forward to it ever season. The spin off with Thousand or hundred eyes was good. I understand the money aspect, but you guys should of figured that out before got your customers wrapped in the show. I can’t stand when the cancel and leave you hanging. Sad, very sad!

35. allenalien says:

One of my favorite shows. It was epic in all ways, so can’t fault Netflix for balking at the cost. But as far as ‘having a sporadic pulse,’ this reviewer is out to lunch. Can’t call someone out for his preferences, but I found this a multi-layered feast with twisting sub-plots and fascinating characters. I’ll miss it.

36. Netflix never ceases to let me down! I just finished watching MP seasons 1&2 and was eagerly expecting season 3! I got rid of Netflix back when you thought you could charge us more and may I remind you what happened?!!!! We the People spoke out and walked away! How much money did you lose back then?!! Keep this shit up and you will find us dropping you like a bad habit! Xiè Xiè

37. Jacob says:

This is horrible news​ one of if not my favorite series on Netflix truly sad and upset this amazing series is cancelled. The fact it has some historical events to base it on is the cherry on top how can you compare 100% fictional​stories to this amazing take on historical events from the Mongolian empire and it’s rise and fall.

38. Lyn says:

Nettflix has no idea of what is excellent entertainment instead hosting some weak crappy programes . I do hope another service will take over and see the merit in running series 3. This was an amazing story and you have dissappointed thousands of people who love historical TV series. YOU need to finishe what you start. This is not the first time. Why bother to invest in a story and create a series if you cannot finish it?!! NO excuses! Just do it – otherwise you will loose many people using your service.

39. Phillip Espejo says:

Netflix please bring back this show and complete the story. It was enjoyed by a great deal of people, and it is a disappointment to hear that it is canceled.

40. Geraldine Lopez says:

There must be a way to make the 3rd season available. It is soooooo intriguing!!! 😀

41. James says:

Go to this Netflix page people and if we all suggest it you never know hey. I put Marco Polo Season 3 as all of my suggestions 😊

42. James says:

Gutted to hear this is cancelled, I’ve been waiting what seems like ages for season 3 after a brilliant first and second season! So so disappointed!!

43. twan mucznik says:

This series is really a nice series and a must see. but I hear that there will be not a new season I’m sad to hear that.

44. thompsonmove says:

Just finished seasons 1 and 2 can’t believe it’s cancelled. Loved it. One final season would be great.

• Northlight says:

Completely agree!
      Very well made, interesting and rarely used historical setting and characters with dimensions.

• Kelly NB says:

I also I agree!! I watched seasons 1 & 2 in a week!!! With so much crapoy programming on Netflix Marco Polo is a stand out gem! From the locations , costumes and acting it is breathtaking!! Shame on you Netflix!!!

45. Marilyn says:

I was really looking forward to seeing the rest of the series. It really is a shame it was cancelled. I binged watched both seasoned so to say it’s not binge-worthy is truly false. Give us one final season. Don’t just leave us floating in the endless blue sky.
    #bummedout

46. SKay says:

THIS IS HEARTBREAKING :(((

47. ed says:

In every review I read about Marco Polo, it seems that the critics hated it but the fans loved it. Me included. Marco Polo was one of my favorite shows ever! I am so sad they cancelled it!!! I don’t think it received the proper marketing it deserved :(((

48. Bob Fastner says:

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

49. Gail Swearngin says:

I really liked the first season. But season 2 was off. Unlike the first season which was a show unlike all other shows. Season 2 to me seemed like they were trying too hard. The added misplaced humor interjected where it doesn’t belong. They went over the top with the f-bombs and foul language. Don’t get me wrong. I’m a huge fan of the f-word and use it often. Lol. But when it’s every other word it takes away from the story line. Maybe I was disappointed because I waited so long for season 2. Over a year and a half between the seasons. I can see why Netflix cancelled such an expensive show due to poor ratings. I never got personally attached to any of the characters. I wouldn’t have been sad to see any one particular character die off more than the other. Maybe instead of spending so much money on the shows surroundings and stupid minor details. They should have focused on getting the audience to fall in love with the characters more than trying to get the audience to fall in love with the background.

• John Bacon says:

I actually liked season two better. It’s very dissappointing to hear that they cancelled it.

50. Ron Whelan says:

I can’t believe that they are not renewing this show. This was 5 star throughout. All characters were incredible, photography and Art work phenomenal. This is the type of programming that should continue. What are they thinking? I can name several other shows that can’t hold a candle to this that continue on. Netflix you blew this one!