Lady Gaga: Fame Is the Most Isolating Thing in the World

Lady Gaga of “American Horror Story: Hotel” and Jamie Lee Curtis of “Scream Queens” are arguably some of the most famous new faces on TV. But fame isn’t all it’s cracked up to be — at least not for Curtis, who told Gaga during their conversation for the fourth season of Variety and PBS’ “Actors on Actors” series, that it’s “isolating.” Surprisingly, Gaga agreed with the veteran actress.

“I don’t think I could think of a single thing that’s more isolating than being famous,” said Gaga.

But as Curtis pointed out, they both sought out fame. Well, actually, they both sought out the “art,” and fame was a side effect.

“It’s almost impossible for people even to probably look at my career and the things I’ve done and think, ‘Oh, she didn’t want [that] — of course she wanted to be famous, of course she wanted all that attention.’ It’s just, creative expression is what I am and I would’ve been doing this whether I became famous or not,” said Gaga.

“I wouldn’t have given up to try to get famous in another way,” she added. “I wanted to get a job being creative and I did.”

The hardest part of fame for Gaga has been the disconnect between herself and the people she interacts with who hold unrealistic, if not false, expectations. She assured Curtis that she’s not extraordinary.

“It is very hard to not be able to engage with people in a real and honest way because they either want something from me or they see me as something that I simply am not,” she said. “I am not some goddess that dropped down from the sky to sing pop music, I am not some extra-incredible human person that needs to be told how wonderful they are all day and kissed.”

Gaga said she would love nothing more than to have normal exchanges with people instead of being adored and showered with selfies. Curtis echoed Gaga’s sentiments about self-portrait photos, which have effectively supplanted autographs.

“There’s some idea that that is some evidence that they have met you and taken a moment with you, taken digitally a moment,” said Curtis, who’s skeptical about being able to change the new fame culture surrounding artists.

But Gaga bet Curtis that they’ll soon be able to inspire the public to see that famous artists “are real people.”

Challenge accepted, Curtis said.

The two-part fourth-season premiere of “Variety Studio: Actors on Actors” airs June 12 and June 19 on PBS SoCal. Presented by Shopbop/East Dane, the episodes will also be available to stream on Variety.com.

1. Hey Dude says:

Imagine The Walking Dead but instead of zombies, it’s people. I can’t even imagine a day in the life.

2. Louise says:

Gags, I really would love to meet you simply for a cuppa, chat, walk the dogs , BBQ or whatever – After all, we’re all artists in our own way – Love to catch up next time you’re in Sydney.

3. Trollimo says:

Public figures who want to curb public opinion and reaction because they don’t like what they read need to quit their jobs and leave the public forum. No one liked her music years back, so she copied and emulated every star and creative artisan possible to sell a record, eventually the gimmick wore off and her sales declined. She made millions using the gays and their predicament knowingly expecting the results that her protege Madonna had, its no co-incidence although much effort was made to make it all seem so happenstance. I always read articles on her and she is whining, oh the fame, oh I was raped once, men in the business are pigs, I have no celebrity friends, etc, the drugs, the eating problems, oh gay people need me and my mother. Certainly after conducting these whine sessions with media she plans to expand her isolated career. Thankfully the gay crisis in America is almost over and we won’t have to be subjected to another narcissistic twit product devised to suck onto the art world because the demographics are hot. She ain’t gay, trans or lonely…give it up for Lady Gaga!

4. Mike says:

I appreciate the thoughtfulness of the interview. Somehow Variety has drawn the same trollers and complainers commonplace at most websites. There is always a little “behind the curtain” appeal with Variety, and I am not sure newcomers understand that.

5. Cory says:

Quite a different perspective coming from an artist of that magnitude. Obviously she’s got a grasp of the culture and wants change. Creative and bold. Only artist broadening her range with passion

6. Ahsoka23 says:

‘I would still trade places with her. She is making millions of dollars and has a first class visa to the world”. I cannot feel sorry for her. She is worshiped by her fans. She wanted to be famous, she asked for fame and now that she has it she wants to complain about it. Why did she get into the industry?(rhetorical)

• Marie says:

Why everytime a famous person is honest about how they about their success, people want to be a negative nancy?
      She is a human being just like you.

7. Ben says:

I am trying to recall if I heard anyone feel sorry for you… uh no

8. Lee Lourdes says:

Fiat lux! The two see the light and are willing
    to share their points of view…on the
    enlightened path!

9. Mike says:

Wearing clothes made of decomposing meat doesn’t do a lot to attract people, either. What a whiny never-was.