Jose Diaz-Balart Named Anchor of Saturday Edition of ‘NBC Nightly News’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Jose Diaz-Balart Named Anchor of Saturday
Gio Alma/Telemundo

Jose Diaz-Balart, the veteran Telemundo and MSNBC anchor, will take the reins of the Saturday-evening edition of “NBC Nightly News,” NBC News said Wednesday.

Balart will continue to anchor his Telemundo programs, “Noticiero Telemundo” on weeknights and “Enfoque con José Díaz-Balart” on Sunday mornings,  but will cede his anchoring duties on MSNBC to NBC News correspondent Craig Melvin. Diaz-Balart will start his new duties officially August 6, ending NBC’s use of a rotation of hosts since Lester Holt moved from anchoring “Nightly” on weekends to the weekday editions. Diaz-Balart has been a member of that group, which has also included Kristen Welker and Thomas Roberts.

The new role will essentially mean that Diaz-Balart will host top news programs on two different broadcast networks – and use two different languages. He will also be on the job seven days a week, anchoring from both Miami and New York City, depending on the program.

“This is a significant moment for the broadcast and a true testament to José’s many talents,” said Janelle Rodriguez, NBC News’ senior vice president of editorial, in a prepared statement.  “José has anchored nearly half of the Saturday broadcasts since joining the rotation in November – and we’re thrilled that he’ll officially join our top-notch lineup with Lester Holt on weeknights and Kate Snow on Sundays.”

Diaz-Balart is expected to have a hand in some MSNBC efforts, said Phil Griffin, the network’s president, in a statement. The anchor will “contribute regularly to special reports and major events for both NBC News and MSNBC – starting with the Republican and Democratic national conventions where he will anchor on-the-ground live coverage,” Griffin said.

Díaz-Balart began his career in 1984, and is recognized as one of the most prominent voices in Hispanic journalism in the United States. His achievements include being the only journalist to serve as news anchor on two national television networks in Spanish and English on the same day for an entire season. He has received the George Foster Peabody Award and the Alfred I. DuPont-Columbia University Award, among other honors.

1. After reading through these comments, I see that I am not the only one personally touched by Jose Diaz-Balart’s sign off: “Thank you for the privilege of your time”. I DO feel like he is speaking directly to me. In times such as these, his message makes me feel good. His coverage of the news is impeccable as well. Thank you Jose!

2. Francine Shea says:

Jose Diaz -Balart total and complete class case closed.

3. Esther says:

I really enjoy when he does the news and his “sign off” always makes me feel good; so nice and heart-warming. Thank you.

4. Carolyn Wolters says:

I love watching this guy……he conveys his humanity while delivering the news. A class act, first rate! Jose, you have a new fan, I’m so glad I discovered you!!

5. Great choice NBC! Jose Diaz-Balart is a well known & accomplished journalist in two networks in two languages!

6. Sandra Maker says:

Jose is a class act! 💙

7. Rose Hyams says:

I stop and watch Jose every Saturday Night for the news.. I love when he says “Thank you for the privilege of your time.” It’s like he is talking directly to me. Jose thank you for the privilege of your time. You are awesome.

8. Teresa Bateman says:

I am a huge fan of Jose Diaz-Balart from the very first time I ever heard him – especially when he said ‘Thank you for the privilege of your time’. I LOVE THAT attitude. He makes me feel like he would still broadcast even if I were the only listener. Jose Diaz-Balart is awesome.

9. Lisa Swanzy says:

I am very impressed by this week-end anchor like Paula-Hamilton-Stokes because he ALWAYS ends the news with “Thank you for the privilege of your time.” I teach Sunday School every six weeks in Newbern, AL which is VERY small. I close EACH of my lesson with his quote and give him credit EVERY time.

10. Paula Hamilton-Stokes says:

I am so impressed w/ this gentleman…from the moment I first heard him say “Thank-You for the privalege of your time”…I knew he was something special. Good luck to you and God bless…I look forward to the evening news on Saturdays & have switched from ABC

11. Sandy says:

I’m so happy for his promotion; he is an engaging and skillful newscaster and journalist, and he’s very much missed on weekday mornings on MSNBC. It isn’t as enjoyable as when he covered the program news for 2 hours every day.

12. Ileane says:

Jose is a true professional…been following his career from the beginning…fine Miami family!

Best of luck!

13. Bobbie says:

Congrats. to Jose on hid new job. Love him when he was subbing there for awhile.

14. Ray Raymond says:

Another racist bigoted Hispanic put in charge of an American TV Channel

15. Roger says:

Kate Snow is much more personable and likeable in addition to the fact that she is a top-notch reporter. Maybe she wasn’t asked or just didn’t want the position.

16. cadavra says:

Trump just tweeted, “See? I told you Mexicans were stealing our jobs! Sad!”