Jen Lilley Leaving ‘Days of Our Lives’ After Three Years

Jen Lilley Leaving Days of Our
Courtesy of NBC

Days of Our Lives” star Jen Lilley, who plays Theresa Donovan, is departing the soap opera after three years.

The actress made the announcement Monday on Twitter, confirming her exit, after reports surfaced last month.

“It is with bittersweet sentiment that I find myself making this statement 6 months too soon,” Lilley tweeted, explaining that her character will still be on the show for six months to come, and that her “storyline gets better.”

Giving reason for her departure, Lilley said she will be focusing on her family, charity and pursuing other career opportunities.

“I hate to dissatisfy our love for black and white explanations, but there’s no one to point your finger at here,” she wrote. “‘Days of Our Lives’ and I are parting company on the best of terms. It came down to time and the sacrifices required to keep Theresa on the front burner. Given the demanding production schedule a soap requires, that just wasn’t possible with the other commitments and opportunities I wanted to pursue.”

Teasing a possible return in the future, Lilley said, “As we all know in the world of soaps, goodbye for now isn’t always good bye forever, who knows what the future has in store for Theresa.”

Her character is the daughter of Shane Donovan and Kimberly Brady. Lilley began playing Theresa in July 2013. Before, the character was portrayed by Hannah Taylor Simmons (1990-1991), Emily and Alicia Pillatzke (1991-1992), Caitlin Wachs (1992) and Gabriella Massari  (1992).

Prior to “Days of Our Lives,” Lilley became known in the soap world for filling in for Kirsten Storms on “General Hospital” in the role of Maxie Jones when the actress was on medical leave. Her other roles include guest sports on “Castle,” “Criminal Minds,” Rules of Engagement,” Nickelodeon’s “iCarly” and a small role in the film “The Artist.”

1. Jerry Boch says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her on DOOL! I’m sad to see those big beautiful eyes leaving. I so enjoyed her character and the shenanigans she and Anne Milbauer did. I hope her exit won’t doom Anne’s role

2. Basi Scaffidi says:

Sorry to see this beautiful girl leave the show. Great actress

3. Joey says:

I love what she brought to the show!! From bad girl to good girl she was captivating! I truly wish she and Brady married before she leaves like for once can’t there be a happy ever after for more than 3 days??? That to me is the most aggravating thing about soaps in general but in particular Days! Can’t you fix tgst?And can another actress replace her so Brady can be married darn it!!!

4. Susan Hadeed says:

I am obsessed with Days of our lives, I make sure it’s recorded everyday of the week. I was sooo excited for Brady and Theresa to finally be together and really excited that they were going to be a family with having Tate. They are one of the main characters I love watching together on the show and it really upsets me, and so irritating that she will be quitting and how she will end up on the show before her wedding. Days of our Lives is losing a great Actress and couple that should still continue with the same Actress Jen Lilly, and Actor Brady. EVERYTIME something great like this is shown on Days of our Lives its always ruined by an Actor or Actress killed off the show or just gone or whatever happens like Bo Brady, Abigel is gone, Sami Brady,AJ Dimera, they are not continuing in on Days of our Lives. This really is pushing me to quit watching this Soap and start another one and this is the only Soap I watch and only thing I basically watch on tv. I think that if Theresa Dinnavan is going to be killed off the show thats it for me with Days of our lives. I also highly believe that so many fans will be quit watching the soap for the very same Reasons.

5. sharon says:

don’t know how Teresa story line is going to play out but i am going to hate another heart break for Brady this will be how many almost marriage for him, I think Brady needs to find his true love and has in Teresa, maybe they could just replace her and let their love story contuiue

6. Mary Henry says:

Jen Lilley has been the most interesting part of Days for the past few years, The return of Belle and the young actors has been a huge mistake. Eye candy is just that if you cannot act. Days needs to take more risks. The Abigail story line is ridiculous! JJ needs a more interesting story and love interest. His character is boring . He has proven to have more range.Ciara is a miscast!

7. Beth CP says:

Jen Lilley has been one of the more interesting (and enjoyable), performers I’ve watched even when the material she’s been given has been questionable. She survived the vitriol that she didn’t deserve when subbing for the aforementioned Kirsten Storms and came up smiling giving me a new found admiration for her sunny nature and plain old graciousness in the face of such rudeness. I wish her nothing but the best as she pursues her other endeavors and will look forward to any projects she involves herself in for the future.

8. Jannie says:

Days of our Lives sucks, its rotten to the core. Has been since late 2014. All the major characters on Days are nothing but cheaters, liars, rapists and murders. Them ‘new’ writers ain’t no good, they sorry as hell.

• teri knight says:

Jannie…Then Don’t watch!!!

• sharon says:

I actually like the new story line keeps you wondering what is going to happen next and ha isnt all shops that way it is not just Days,I really do hope EJ and Sammy will return someday i love their love story was always so exciting to see what was going to happen net with those 2