‘It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’ Renewed for 2 More Seasons

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Courtesy of FX

“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” has been renewed for a 13th and 14th season on cable network FXX.

With the renewal, “It’s Always Sunny” is set tie “The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet,” which ran for 14 seasons, for the most seasons by a live-action television comedy. Season 11 of “It’s Always Sunny” finished in March. The previously announced 12th season is set to premiere in 2017.

“If anyone doubts the power of a camcorder and a dream, just look at ‘It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia,’ which was a DIY backyard pilot when Rob, Charlie and Glenn brought it to FX and will go down in TV history as one of the most loved and enduring comedies,” said Grad. “Few shows make it this far or have such devoted fans, and we owe it all to the creative vision and great humor of the creators and cast who keep ‘Sunny’ fresh and inventive every season.”

Season 11 of “It’s Always Sunny” averaged averaged 1.1 million viewers in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic and 1.4 million total viewers — up 8% and 13% from the previous season, respectively, according to Nielsen live-plus-seven ratings.

The series, created by Rob McElhenney, is produced by FX productions. McElhenney serves as executive producer with Glenn Howerton, Charlie Day, Michael Rotenberg, Nick Frenkel, Tom Lofaro, Scott Marder and David Hornsby. The series stars McElhenney, Howerton, Day, Kaitlin Olson and Danny DeVito as the idiot owners of dive bar Paddy’s Pub in Philadelphia.

“It’s Always Sunny” premiered on FX in 2005. It moved to sister channel FXX for its ninth season in 2013.

1. ~Irelandflower~ says:

I agree with brent. JIM… This show is awsome & very loveable & i think everyone should try it & if you dont like it well than at least your npt missing out on something you could enjoy.

2. jim says:

Never seen it…and somehow my life’s gone on happily

3. Bill B. says:

And I’ve never seen a single episode. I never known when it’s on. I’ve never come across it while channel surfing. It’s just this thing I hear the name of every now and then.

4. Rena Moretti says:

I’ll translate:

This low-rated show never managed to bring in the viewers in spite of our repeated hype and marketing campaigns, but we’ll make two more seasons because we get to say it was the most successful comedy ever, even though it’s not.

And they wonder why people don’t care about Hollywood any longer.

Oh and of course the ratings they mentioned are not the ones generally mentioned since Live+7 is irrelevant and the average age of viewers really doesn’t matter.

• Rena Moretti says:

I also love how they keep repeating the BS about its being a “Backyard pilot”, giving the impression that the show wasn’t made by a bunch of Hollywood insiders…

• Brent says:

How can you knock something you havent even watched? I say you give netflix a try if you actually enjoy television, because there is clearly a lot youre missing out on if you just watch whats currently on. Anyway, the first couple seasons are a little difficult to watch but still hilarious. But my personal favorites are the middle seasons (5-10). Give it a try, its nice to sit back and unwind to.

• Mr Furious says:

I think it’s more like “This is the only show on our channel that people watch so we have to keep it going even though it hasn’t been good in years”.

• Jake says:

It was shot by them (when Rob was a waiter) and shopped around when they weren’t famous actors at all. The only thing inside is that they had agents to represent them. How is that BS? And they renewed it b/c it gets better share than some major network shows. It’s a low price point show ultimately that prints them money at this point. Not sure what you do for a living but your post does not reflect knowledge of the business. I had to post reply to respond to your mean-spirited ignorance. Hope you find happiness and stop trolling!

5. I guess this is good. It used to be a great show, but as control of the writing has been given over to other hands than the original writers/actors of the show, there haven’t been any “instant classic” episodes during the last couple of seasons. Here’s hoping that the originals get more hands-on in the upcoming seasons.

• CrystalPistol says:

Charlie Work….enough said.

• Are you kidding!? It started slow this season, but part one of the Cruise Ship was one of the best episodes ever!

“Why are people drinking mixers?”

• Brent says:

Actually i believe the wild card episode was titled “the gang goes jihad” or something along those lines.

• Brent says:

I completely agree with Jared. There are lots of classics. Although my favorites will always be “who pooped the bed?” And “wildcard”

• Jared says:

Thank goodness, I was beginning to think I was the only sane person around. I think it is natural for people to hate on this type of show. (oh it used to be good type of talk) I think there have been amazing episodes, as well as the cruise ship the bird law episode was amazing. I loved this season. The people above bitching about it only having 1.1 million viewers clearly don’t understand how cheap this show must be to make. I mean, each episode mostly has one location and it is often the bar. These guys have perfected the 12 angry men type approach. I could talk all day about these guys. Someone mentioned about the lack of classics, just off the top of my head. Flowers for charlie, I think season 9. Just amazing.

6. mhrns says:

Do you mean most seasons by an AMERICAN live-action television comedy? Because the British sitcom “Last of the Summer Wine” ran for 31 seasons.