Caitlyn Jenner’s ‘I Am Cait’ Cancelled After 2 Seasons at E!

I Am Cait cancelled
Billy Farrell/BFA/REX/Shutterstock

Caitlyn Jenner’s E! docuseries “I Am Cait” will not be returning for a third season, Variety has learned.

In a statement released to Variety on Tuesday, an E! spokesperson said: “We are incredibly proud of the two seasons of ‘I Am Cait,’ a groundbreaking docu-series that sparked an important and unprecedented global conversation about transgender people, their struggles and triumphs. Caitlyn and E! have mutually decided not to move forward with another season at this time.  She will always remain a part of the E! family, and we look forward to continue following her journey as she appears on ‘Keeping Up with the Kardashians.’”

Debuting last summer, “I Am Cait” broke ground with its subject matter, following former Olympian — then Bruce Jenner — through his transition to becoming a transgender woman, Caitlyn. The second season, which aired in spring 2016, focused less on Jenner’s transformation and more on her newfound life. The series has been applauded by the transgender community and won Outstanding Reality Program at the GLAAD Media Awards this year.

Despite its important storytelling, “I Am Cait” struggled to sustain an audience through its two seasons, after a hot fresh-out-of-the-gate debut in July 2015 that marked E!’s largest audience for a premiere in four years with 2.7 million viewers. The ratings dipped throughout Season 1, though the show still ranked as one of the top new cable series of the summer season, but Season 2 fell with the lowest-rated episode bringing in just 480,000 viewers.

Jenner responded to the cancellation news on Tuesday with a positive tweet, thanking E! and her co-stars.

“I Am Cait” hails from Bunim/Murray Productions. Jenner served as an exec producer, along with Gil Goldschein, Jeff Jenkins, Farnaz Farjam, Andrea Metz and Melissa Bidwell.

1. Tara says:

I enjoyed the show…

2. Miranda says:

It was interesting on the beginning, but quickly got boring once the novelty wore off. It was the same dialog all the time, every single show. I watched them all, but it got boring. Also, Jenners true colors began to show. The narcicism, the ego, the snobbiness, inflexibility, stubbornness, grouchiness, and obsessive concern with his image. Yes, I said HIS. Until the voice is womanly and the penis is gone, it’s just Bruce in makeup and a dress. Still has the same manly walk, talk, hobbies, and he always loved sex with women, etc. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s a duck. If he truly believes he is an actual woman, why would he not want a womanly voice and a vagina??? Does not make sense. I think 99% of people watched it as a freak show, but it got too boring. I grew up with Bruce Jenner, and as far as I am concerned, he can live like a “woman” if he wants, but he will never be a woman. I do admire his bravery. It takes a lot of guts to do what he did.

3. Dmd says:

I am sorry to see it go. I recently had a cousin come out as transgender male and watching I am Cait helped me to understand the feelings he had. Was it realistic being Cait has a more privledged life but it gave me a basis and was very helpful to me and I hope it does help bring some tolerance and understanding for the trans community. Not everyone is ignorant or looked at it as a “freak” show.

4. MVN says:

Can the cancel crap that is Keeping u/w /t Kraptasians

• Harley says:

Television is a fickle beast. Sadly Jenner will need to go further to keep an audience. Personally, I think she should train for a triathalon…billed as Tryanthing. Sponsors will come out of the woodwork to support her. . Why not try. It would make for great tv. We could watch things like the swin suit fitting, picking the swimsuit, the trip to Rodeo drive to take the swimsuit back…Cameras crews can follow her as she runs up to the Hollywood sign…”hits the wall” and has to be helicoptered back into Glendale for a beer. And then riding a girls bike could be the featured event. All 25 miles of it. I can’t wait and wish Cait all the best.

5. ex360 says:

“The series has been applauded by the transgender community”? Not really.

6. Your post is so hateful. And I didn’t even like the show. Wow. You have issues.

7. opinionfree says:

A shame, for what it is. The American public just wanted to see Bruce get his ‘thing’ cut off and become Caitlyn.
    I watched the first season, it was good. Then, lost interest.
    Other than the target audience, the others that tuned in didn’t care about Caitlyn. They just had this fascination with the surgical removal of Caitlyn’s penis and the questions about would she now have sex with men or women. Progress: yes, but still sad.

8. dtoju says:

Most people tuned in at first because it’s hard to resist a freak show, but once the novelty wore off, they quickly lost interest. The small percentage of perverts were unable to sustain the ratings.

9. See Me - Feel Me says:

No issue with Cait or her striving to remain a celebrity but she just doesn’t come across as a very nice person and that matters.

10. Dunstan says:

Gee, I guess there is a God after all.

11. Robbie says:

I’m sure the four people who watched this thing will be heartbroken.