‘Halt and Catch Fire’ Renewed for Fourth and Final Season at AMC

'Halt and Catch Fire' Renewed for
Courtesy AMC

AMC has renewed period drama “Halt and Catch Fire” for a fourth and final season. The renewal comes one night before AMC airs back to back episodes for the show’s season-three finale.

“We are so proud of ‘Halt and Catch Fire’ – a true passion project – and thank the critics and fans who have embraced this unique program,” said Charlie Collier, president of AMC, SundanceTV and AMC Studios. “Congratulations and thanks to creators and showrunners Christopher Cantwell and Christopher C. Rogers and to Halt’s enormously talented writing team, producers, cast and crew. It is our great pleasure to renew this project for a fourth and final season, so we can all tune in to see if Cameron, Donna and the rest of the gang turn Swap Meet into eBay, Amazon or Facebook.”

Executive produced by Cantwell and Rogers, “Halt and Catch Fire” is an ensemble drama set in the 1980s technology industry against the rise of the personal computer. It stars Lee Pace, Scoot McNairy, Kerry Bishé, Mackenzie Davis, and Toby Huss. One of the first new AMC dramas to launch as the cable channel wound down foundational hits “Breaking Bad” and “Mad Men,” “Halt and Catch Fire” failed to catch on with viewers in a significant way, but was considered a strong creative effort within AMC.

The fourth and final season will consist of 10 episodes.

“First off, we’ve been incredibly fortunate to have a creative partner in AMC that has nurtured us from new writers into showrunners over these past three seasons. It has been our great privilege to watch the world of ‘Halt and Catch Fire’ expand and mature in that time, powered by our incredible cast, our exceptional crew, our absurdly talented writers, and our producing partners at Gran Via, all of whom have come to feel like our family,” Cantwell and Rogers said. “In this fourth and final season, we are excited to end the show on its own terms and to give our story, these characters, and our fans the conclusion they so richly deserve.”

Gran Via Productions’ Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein also serve as executive producers on the show, which is produced by AMC Studios. It is distributed internationally by Entertainment One Television.

1. That is bull only 4 seasons WTF

2. M Gill Williamson says:

Such a great show. I hate that it will only be 4 seasons. It brings back such fun memories of computer classes in college in the early eighties. Upstairs in the computer lab to code your program then down into the basement to compile. If it worked, great. If not, back upstairs to code some more. With a little F-16 simulation (on a 5 1/4 floppy) thrown in to break the monotony. Good times.

3. James Totten says:

Halt and Catch Fire has been just about the best show on TV. So much so that you would think it would get higher ratings than it does. They ARE NOT advertising to the right demographics at all. I name the show to people and they have NEVER heard of it at all. If they could get it out to the right people the popularity would grow to an astonishing level.Maybe some direct marketing using all this data that everyone is collecting from the masses and target the right techno junkies and old school programmers.

I love the show and would love another 4 seasons with the cast. Slow it down a bit and fill it with strands of stories from all kinds of threads of computer history.

4. Robert says:

Half and catch fire been the best show in last 10 years. And nobody knows about it.

5. robert nicol says:

Once again, a great show, with a great cast, and excellent story line..,ends after a few seasons, “simply because ratings are not good enough, due to dumb asses not tuning in”? . How is it, there are so many stupid reality shows, like the Cardashians, that can run forever?? It boggles the mind,?.. that shows like this one, never last and lose out “to stupid, boring, meaningless, drama crap”?
    I for one, have lost all sense of understanding! I will miss “Once Again”, yet another great series..

• Janon says:

Great point. It’s a shame really. This show is a masterpiece but people would rather watch the fiftieth iteration of a “housewives of…”, all of which somehow run forever.

6. This is amazing, it is a great show. =)

7. Crabbits says:

Halt and Catch Fire is one of the most cerebral shows on television. Excellent writing and character development. So glad the critics liked it. It’s great there will be a Season 4.

8. Chuck Dee says:

I really enjoyed this show and was excited for season 3 but the last three or four episodes felt rushed and weak. I figured it got cancelled already and they threw together the end of the season to come to some sort of a conclusion for the characters. I’ll watch season 4 but my expectations are pretty low. Too bad.

9. Janon says:

Unbelievably great news. Much love to the cast, creators and AMC for their superlative work and commitment to delivering us this gem of a show. Absolutely worthy of being in the company of its bigger siblings.

10. Diane S says:

I love this show. The writing and cast are superb. I am glad there will be another season but wish there were more episodes.

11. Mike K says:

H&CF is fantastic and I am thrilled we’ll get 10 more episodes. My only frustration is that the rivalry between Donna and Cameron won’t get the space and time necessary to reach a full boil in just 10 episodes to pay off fully in the shoot out at the OK coral the finale must contain. WE’LL NEED SEASON 5!!!!!!!! #teamDonna

12. S Berreth says:

H and C F is the only show to come around that I REALLY got into, For years everything else out there is so redone, overdone, and just plain dumb and so predictable that I have never really followed any show for such a long time and then this GREAT show came along and I just couldn’t get enough of it A+++100 !

13. David M says:

A superb series, my favorite scripted series in a time of excellent drama. Hurray! Congratulations and thank you very much, AMC!

14. Steve Zamzow says:

So happy to hear there will be a fourth season! Love this series. I was in college pursuing a computer science degree during the 80’s. This series is at once so nostalgic for me as well as being incredibly written and acted. it’s a top 10 favorite of all time in my book! Thank you for the great entertainment!

15. Matthew Kleinmann says:

Very bittersweet. So happy to see it renewed and so sad to hear that it is ending, though I guess at it’s accelerated pace by season 6 or 7 it would be in the future (smile). At least I am now ready for the end.

16. Caligula says:

couldn’t get into it-surprised it was renewed with its so so ratings

17. jfafilms says:

Great show! Season 2 still my fave, featured legendary Starck Club in episode called Limbo:

18. This is truly excellent news. This Third Season has been the best yet and that’s saying something, given that this has consistently been the best show on TV in years. Christopher Cantwell and Christopher C. Rogers have done an incredible job as show-runners and their new writing staff hasn’t missed a beat. I’m so happy.

19. Pablo says:

I am sooooo beyond happy to see Halt and Halt Fire coming back and now the writers have time and notice to craft an ending! Thank you so much AMC! THANK YOU!