‘Gotham’: Jada Pinkett Smith Returning for Season 2 Arc

gotham jada pinkett smith season 2
Courtesy of Fox

Jada Pinkett Smith will return to “Gotham” in Season 2, Variety has confirmed.

The actress will appear in a multi-episode arc in the back half of “Gotham’s” sophomore season, although specifics about her exact role and the manner of her return are being kept under wraps.

Smith’s character, Fish Mooney, was last seen toppling to her apparent death into the waters of Gotham harbor during the Season 1 finale, but a character as slippery as Fish should never be counted out, according to showrunner Bruno Heller, who told ComicBook.com during Season 1, “Personally I’m still hoping that Jada will be back. One of the problems of making a show like this is that you need actors who can really be big characters. You either have bigness or you don’t, and Jada is big in spades. She’s done a wonderful job for us and nobody dies forever in the DC Universe, necessarily, so I’m hoping whatever happens at the end of this season that Fish can and will be back.”

There are several potential explanations for Fish’s return to the world of “Gotham,” whether she’s seen in flashbacks, somehow survived the fall (and the gunshot wound) or perhaps didn’t survive at all, given the introduction of the mysterious facility known as Indian Hill. In the midseason finale, a recently deceased Theo Gallivan was brought into the secret lab, prompting one of the technicians to ominously comment, “Professor Strange has high hopes for this one.” If Indian Hill can resurrect a man shot at point-blank range before having an umbrella stuffed down his gullet, fixing Fish should be a cakewalk.

“Gotham” returns on Monday, Feb. 29 at 8 p.m. on Fox.

News of Smith’s return was first reported by Variety‘s sister site TVLine.

1. Rybot says:

Fish Mooney was a terrible character and the show has been so much better without her. What a shame.

• I agree. Another question is I thought she said she was done with the show. Is she not getting offers to do anything else so settling for this????She’s a terrible actress who is a one trick pony.Every character she plays is an angry Negress with a chip on her shoulder. Can’t they get someone better to play the role, or are they trying to play into the blacks aren’t getting good roles bs.

2. DblG says:

Great !!! It will be interesting to see her come back in the new darker Gotham. Also seeing her re-connect with Butch Gizean will be good as well. People forget that she also garnered a People’s Choice nomination for her portrayal of the character when the show was new. It will be Great to see the new twists and turns as the show continues!

3. I enjoyed Fish when she was in Gotham interacting with the regulars- the underground plot was nonsensical. As long as Fish is in Gotham sparring with Penguin, or whoever, all should be fine.

4. synch says:

Honestly, Fish Mooney had her time, and she isn’t as interesting as Penguin, who’s still around. Penguin’s clever, strategic, and a long-term thinker. All of Fish’s plans were impetuous. It’s not interesting. She is a strong character and season 1 was great with her, but all the problems she brought along were played out by the other characters, and she was too dramatic and childish. For example, that time when she tried to be an “intermediary” between Falcone and Liza’s kidnappers, when it was so obvious she was the kidnapper. Seriously. It’d be better off if she just came in a flashback or something, we don’t need another one of her rash subplots.

5. lamenting says:

Say it isn’t so. Please. Really. PLEASE. I honestly hate to think ahead to how many minutes I’ll have to avoid out of however many tainted episodes. Glib albatross is the best phrase along with deadweight. Time crawled when she was on screen before and I’ve never missed her for a second. Usually, I stand by the adage of “if you don’t have anything positive to say…,” but in this case, disappointment wins.

• johnr49 says:

You’re entitled to your opinion, but personally I agree with Bruno Heller that Smith did a wonderful job and I’m looking forward to her return.

6. Reader says:

I’ll be boycotting the show.

7. Amalgamate says:

this woman got a job-what she bitching about??

8. Jake says:

Love hearing this, Bruno Heller is absolutely right, Fish Mooney was awesome the right amount of female presence too, sexy, cunning and ruthless when need be, I definitely enjoy that. Also wouldn’t mind seeing Don Falcone pop back up to throw his two cents in season 1 is the very reason there IS a season 2 so obviously the formula without the big stars is okay but I can tell you this season I’ve skipped or dvr’d episodes from the weak villainy line and sagging stories I don’t care about James and Barbara or what they do, him and Lee, sweet story heck him and his partner even more of a story, but Barbara, tired of her and the “crazy chick” angle. Glad Gallivan is out of commission at the moment as well. Fish, Penguin, Riddler/ Nygma those are good villains capable of any story line from petty squabbles to high powered takeovers I’d love to see more of Victor Zsasz.

9. Wow. I guess Fox people either aren’t reading any fan feedback, or they don’t care at all. Just like everyone else, I very much hated Fish. I almost gave up on the show because of her ridiculous subplot.

10. bill says:

she has nothing else to do since she is boycotting the oscars

11. DD says:

Hated Fish! No reason to bring her back. Shame Gotham has decided to bring her back, it’s much better without her!

12. c o says:

Huge mistake. Absolutely HATED her character on Gotham. The 2nd season has been phenomenally entertaining and so much better than S1 and Mooney s death is partially the reason why. Weak story lines that provided little substance in progressing the show forward. Ugh.