‘The Good Wife’ Ending? Julianna Margulies Says ‘I’m Unemployed Come April’

The Good Wife Season 7
Courtesy of CBS

Ever since CBS announced that “The Good Wife” creators Robert and Michelle King would be leaving the show following its current season, speculation has been mounting that the CBS legal drama could be ending.

Star Julianna Margulies may have poured fuel on that fire during a speech to honor the Kings at the Casting Society of America’s Artios Awards, in which she reportedly said, per Vulture, “I surprised Robert and Michelle tonight. They didn’t know I was going to be here. They think I’m here for them, but I’m unemployed come April, and I think you haven’t seen me in a while — at least not in person — so I thought I should show up.”

Sources tell Variety the star was joking, but that no decision has yet been made on whether the show will return for an eighth season. There’s speculation that CBS may look to try to bring the show back for a short final season of 10 to 13 episodes, but it’s unlikely to return for a full season.

CBS president Glenn Geller told reporters at the network’s recent Television Critics Assn. press tour presentation that he feels “the show can absolutely continue” without the Kings. The producers are also otherwise occupied with their upcoming comic thriller, “Brain Dead,” which is set for a summer debut. It’s part of their overall deal with CBS TV Studios, which also produces “The Good Wife.”

The series has already weathered two high-profile exits in front of the camera — Josh Charles left the show in Season 5, while Archie Panjabi exited at the end of Season 6 — but it’s hard to imagine “The Good Wife” continuing without its titular Good Wife.

1. Alegra says:

We want fresh faced, non surgical altered, young new talent, not this 55 year old trying to be in there 30,s.
    It is old and used up, I better her husband has a 25 yrs old girlfriend on the side to compensate for this.

2. Les says:

I so hate to see this show end, the cast is amazing and the story lines are still fresh and interesting. One of the few network shows I truly enjoy.

3. I Love this show,,,dont go please

4. one of the best tv series at the moment!! And consistently good!!!

5. Senior Sharon says:

Julianna is my most favored tv actress. She has worked hard and extremely well on the Good Wife. I wish her to do whatever SHE wants to do regarding this show. She’s earned her way and then some in her life. What a fine person and female image role model she represents for today’s young women. Although I have watched every episode, the show lost its supreme appeal for me when Josh Charles departed. Only the quality of J.M.’s work kept me continuing as a fathful fan. I will always be following her career where ever.

6. Jay Wesley says:

i love the show but i wouldn’t mind if it ends after this season coz there is not that much more to tell, i think.

her husband is already the governor and has tried to run for presidency, what else is there to tell about her husband? her husband being sued for all the dirty deeds he’s done? he either comes out unscathed or goes down. either way, alicia’s life will go on. she’d continue to be a lawyer and have interesting cases. who knows, maybe she’d be a named partner of a big firm and might, again, run of office and this time, actually getting it.

7. Jacques Strappe says:

Don’t tease us. Do it asap. This trashy soap with Downton Abbey pretensions has overstayed its welcome.

• therealjonpalmer says:

Don’t be ridiculous. “Downton Abbey pretensions”?? Seeing as how ‘The Good Wife’ was on FIRST it couldn’t be modeled after DA. Also, I can’t figure out where you come up with “trashy soap”, either.
      The show HASN’T “overstayed it’s welcome” at all. Nobody really cares if you like it or not. Millions of people DO like it.

8. marciekb1 says:

No please no! This is my favorite show!

9. Gigi says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! My favorite show…

10. Andy Thomas says:

…G­­o­­­o­­­g­­l­­e­­­ i­­s­­ <­­-p­­a­­y­­i­­n­­g­­ 9­­7­­$ p­­e­­r h­­o­­u­­r! ­­W­­o­­r­­k ­­f­­­­o­­r ­­f­­­­e­­­­w­­ h­­­­o­­u­­r­­s ­­a­­n­­d h­­a­­v­­e l­­o­­n­­g­­e­­r w­­i­­t­­h­­ f­­­­r­­i­­e­­n­­d­­s & ­­f­­a­­m­­i­­l­­y­­! ­­O­­n ­­t­­u­­e­­s­­d­­a­­y I g­­o­­t ­­a­­ g­­r­­e­­a­­t ­­n­­e­­w­­ L­­a­­n­­d­­ R­­o­­v­­e­­r ­­R­­a­­n­­g­­e ­­R­­o­­v­­e­­r­­ f­­r­­o­­m h­­a­­v­­i­­n­­g e­­a­­r­­n­­e­­d­­ $­­8­­7­­2 t­­h­­i­­s ­­l­­a­­s­­t­­ f­­o­­u­­r­­ w­­e­­­­e­­k­­s.­­.­­ I­­t­­ s­­o­­u­­n­­d­­s­­ u­­n­­b­­e­­l­­i­­e­­v­­a­­b­­l­­e­­ b­­u­­t ­­y­­o­­u w­­o­­n­­t f­­o­­r­­g­­i­­v­­e ­­y­­o­­u­­r­­s­­e­­l­­f i­­f ­­y­­o­­u ­­d­­o­­n­­’­­t­­ c­­h­­e­­c­­k i­­t­­…~
    ➤➤➤➤➤➤. Click.Here.To.Read.Full.Detail……

11. Maxx says:

Too late to give Kalinda her own spinoff?

12. Dunstan says:

This show had zero appeal for me. Right from the first commercials, it looked like a soap opera.

• therealjonpalmer says:

So, over 6 years later–of you not watching the show–you felt the need to come on here and comment about a story speculating that the show might be ending soon. Sure, THAT makes sense (sarc.).

13. David Lee says:

The show should’ve ended after season 5. Season 6 was a dumpster fire and season 7 has mostly been an inconsistent mess.

• therealjonpalmer says:

No, it should NOT have ended. Will’s death was a traumatic event for the characters and the fans. That would have been a horrible place to end the show. We needed to see the characters deal with the loss and try to move on.
      As for season 7, it has been a time of change for Alisha. The season has had some nice twists and set up some new storylines that can be expanded on for several more seasons.

• shorlovr says:

So why do you continue to watch it?

14. cadavra says:

Why is it so hard to imagine GOOD WIFE without her? Kyra Sedgwick left THE CLOSER, but the show continues as MAJOR CRIMES. GOOD WIFE has a huge cast and could easily continue with the rest of the regulars and recurrings.