‘Gilmore Girls’: Jared Padalecki & David Sutcliffe Returning for Netflix Revival

'Gilmore Girls': Jared Padalecki Returning as
Courtesy of The CW

Jared Padalecki is returning to “Gilmore Girls,” reprising his role as Dean Forester in Netflix’s four-part revival series.

Variety has also learned that David Sutcliffe, who played Rory Gilmore’s (Alexis Bledel) father Chris, is also returning.

In addition to stars Bledel and Lauren Graham, Padalecki and Sutcliffe join previously announced returning cast members Milo Ventimiglia (Jess)Matt Czuchry (Logan)Liza Weil (Paris), Kelly Bishop (Emily), Sean Gunn (Kirk), Scott Patterson (Luke), Keiko Agena (Lane) and Yanic Truesdale (Michel). Sutton Foster, who starred in “Bunheads” from “Gilmore Girls” creator Amy Sherman-Palladino, has also joined the Netflix project, the first new actor to be added to the cast alongside the show’s returning favorites.

With Padalecki’s return, Rory will be reuniting with all three of her exes in the revival series: Dean (Padalecki), Jess (Ventimiglia) and Logan (Czuchry).

Padalecki was part of the original series from the pilot, going on to become Rory’s first serious boyfriend and the partner with whom she eventually lost her virginity, despite Dean being married to another woman at the time. The duo were on again/off again for several seasons, with Padalecki making his final appearance in Season 5 before going on to star in another drama — “Supernatural” — for what was then the WB network (now The CW). Now in its eleventh season, Padalecki has been on the fan-favorite show ever since, playing Sam Winchester, who fights demons and paranormal phenomena alongside his brother — also ironically called Dean — played by Jensen Ackles.

Sutcliffe appeared in 37 episodes of “Gilmore Girls” throughout all seven seasons, in which he played Christopher Hayden, Rory’s father and Lorelai’s (Graham) ex.

As for Padalecki’s current work commitments, both “Supernatural” and the “Gilmore Girls” revival are produced by Warner Bros. Television, and the studio likely had a hand in freeing up his busy schedule to accommodate his “Gilmore” return — especially since “Supernatural” films in Vancouver, while “Gilmore Girls” is shooting in Los Angeles. Fellow “Gilmore” alum Weil is also on a hit broadcast show — ABC’s “How To Get Away with Murder” — but the drama wrapped shooting on its sophomore season this week, freeing up her schedule to join the “Gilmore Girls” set this Tuesday.

Netflix’s “Gilmore Girls” comeback consists of four separate 90-minute episodes, each representing a season of the calendar year, though it has not yet been determined in which, or how many, episodes Padalecki and Sutcliffe will appear.

A premiere date for Netflix’s “Gilmore Girls” revival has yet to be announced.

Update, 10:42 a.m: Danny Strong will also return to “Gilmore Girls,” reprising his role as Doyle, Variety has confirmed. The casting — first tweeted by @GilmoreGuysShow, the account for the podcast of the same name — is a clue that Paris (Liza Weil) and Doyle are still together years later. Nowadays, Strong is exec producer on “Empire,” which he co-created.

1. Cori says:

I think it will be great to see Jared doing something other than Supernatural,…even though I adore the series. Being a fellow Texan, I appreciate both him and Jensen and all of the cast of Supernatural for keeping it interesting , fun, and even kinda scary to be home alone sometimes! Plus, they are gorgeous! !!

2. sarah says:

So happy and excited about Jared Padalecki’s return to Gilmore Girls ! Wishing him luck

3. Joe 12-Pack says:

Is Melissa McCarthy too big of a star to take part. She was my favorite part of the original show.

4. cadavra says:

Glad to hear Sutton Foster’s coming onboard! “Bunheads” was snuffed out much too soon.

5. Linda Skelton says:

When the Gilmore Girls first came out I fell in love with it. I had my favorite shows but this is by far the greatest. I have all 7 seasons. I watch it over & over. I am starting to wear out my dvd”s. I would love to meet everyone on the show. I can”t wait for the new season to come out. I bet it will be just as great as the first 7 seasons. All the actors are fantastic. Best Tv show out there. Keep up the wonderful job guys. Love to all of you. May God bless you in everything yall do.

6. Gary S. says:

Lord, Jared is just such a terrible actor, lol. I didn’t notice it as much on GG but on SPN he’s so bad it’s laughable. The other guy on there is just about as bad, faking that stupid deep voice.

7. Robbie says:

Enough already. Why does each addition deserve a separate article? Is it that slow a news week? We get it. Gilmore Girls is getting new episodes and the cast is coming back. When they decide to reanimate Ed Hermann a la Fred Astaire in the vacuum cleaner commercials, then it’ll be news.

8. Hera says:

Great to see Jared Padalecki return to gilmore girls. It’s nice to see that he and the network are willing to make time, since he already has supernatural. Though I might not like Dean as much as I did in s1. It will be nice to see where he is after all these years. Also great to have David Sutcliffe back! I was wondering if they were going to bring him back because s7 was weird with his character. And now that ASP is writing I hope his character had some growth!!

9. Meridian Fae says:

not really. a coincidence yes. not really ironic. I think people tend to mix up the two. (yeah, sorry for replying to your rhetorical question. I’m bored. I should go eat.)

10. Julia says:

I stopped watching GG after Rory and Dean slept together (I was less than enchanted by the Yale storyline anyway, and that was a sleasy character degradation that kind of finished it for me). Regardless, I’m glad for the people who continued to be fans that Jared Padalecki will be back for a piece of the revival. It wouldn’t be Old Home Week without Dean.

11. Matt says:

Now Is that really irony??

• Mel says:

Haha – thank you! Clearly the silly author of this piece has no idea what irony is. Maybe she needs to watch less TV and read more.

• ceil says:

how is jared going to do supernatural and gilmore girls. maybe thats why the network has not announced a renewal for season 12. last summer he cancelled several conventions in europe due to exhaustion., i don’t get it.

• cadavra says:

The article clearly states that WB is working out his schedule so he can handle both projects. He probably won’t need to do more than two or three days at a time for each GG movie, so SUPER can certainly shoot around him or even write him light now and then.