Erica Hill Moves From NBC to HLN

Erica Hill Moves From NBC to
Courtesy of HLN

Erica Hill, a veteran of broadcast-TV’s morning-news wars, is moving to HLN to help goose a new daytime effort.

Hill, who most recently helped anchor the weekend editions of NBC’s “Today” program, will get her own daytime program on HLN and have a presence on sister network CNN, according to a statement from Ken Jautz, a CNN executive vice president who oversees HLN. Her new HLN program will launch in the fall. While details are said to be forthcoming, chances are Hill will have a roost in the afternoon – HLN’s grid is already filled for most o the morning by Robin Meade’s “Morning Express” and a new show led by Michaela Pereira slated to debut in July in the late morning.

Hill previously worked for the Time Warner-owned HLN and CNN in the earlier part of last decade, and played a role in helping move what was once known as CNN Headline News into the network known now as HLN.

Related

At HLN, New Strategy Takes Shape

Hill had been expected to do more work for MSNBC and NBC News in the wake of her departure from “Today.” The weekend editions of the NBC morning franchise were recently retooled to allow for the debut of a new Sunday edition featuring Willie Geist.

Hill joined NBC in 2012, contributing to “NBC Nightly News” and MSNBC in addition to her “Today” duties. Between 2008 and 2012, she was an anchor with CBS’ “The Early Show.”  Before joining CNN and HLN in 2003, she was news anchor and reporter at the former cable network TechTV.

1. Winter Texan says:

She talks so fast I can’t even understand most of the show advertisements. And I am well versed in the English language and highly educated. Based on what I have heard from the ads, I would never, NEVER watch the actual show.

2. ladyantler says:

I’m sure that she will brighten up the daytime show. But why is she using the theme from Marlo Thomas’s “That Girl” from many years ago? Although she looks a bit like Ms Thomas, that was a comedy, not a daytime news show.
    I’m interested in your take on this.

• Richard Dinger "nedsway" says:

what you hear is actually the theme song from the ‘Mary Tyler Moore Show’. What I would like to know is that Joan Jett or someone with her signature ‘yooow’ at the closing of the ad?

3. I am so so happy to have Erica back i have missed her

4. Susan Anderson says:

Erica Hill is underutilized. I see others advancing with considerably less ability and appeal. What gives?

5. JP says:

Love Erica Hill and so happy she is back. I remember her with Anderson Cooper and they were fantastic together. Good Luck Erica.

6. Nora Manon says:

I found Ericka Hill a very well informed journalist.She did her homework and was always well prepared.I look forward to her CNN HLN return. There is no comparison to Jenna, or Natalie, as both will be gone.

7. Karen P says:

Erica was one of the most talented people the Today show has ever had. So, was Jenna Wolfe. Don’t understand what they are trying to accomplish now. Switched to GMA on the weekends.

• Joe Lee says:

I agree that Erica Hill was a great female co-host on the weekend because Jenna Wolf was piercing in tone and only wanted the audience to do “planks” on a Sat/Sun morning. She didn’t have the credentials of Erica and assume she only had the job because of her partner, Stephanie Gosk, who is NBC’s foreign correspondent with whom she has two children. The morning wars are nasty! Now NBC, “The Neopotism Broadcasting Corp” (Think Luke Russert, Chelsea Clinton – remember the monotone tours of the national parks?, Jenna Bush, and the best – Natalie Morales!)

Best way to get promoted at Today is to have the male co-host’s child as your last, Natalie, get promoted, then get moved to LA when issues became “sticky.” Isn’t that the same epidemic that NBC suffers at MSNBC where Joe Scarborough is “having relations” with his newly divorced co-host, Mikka Brezinski, whose only credentials other than the annoying piercing voice and believes that she is smarter than every other person on the panel is the fact that her father is Zbignew Brezinski, the very intelligent head of the NSA under the Carter Administration who opened many doors for his daughter Mikka who complains about her pay in books.

There are so many more qualified and insightful Women (Nicolle Wallace) or Men (Mark Halperin or Jonathan Karl) who should have her job. I used to watch “Morning Joe” each morning, and I tried to turn out her piercing voice, but I had to switch channels after her whiney book about how she earned less than Joe Scarborough despite the fact that she was previously a news reader and Joe was in Congress and well known nationally. Her press tour which I saw on other news venues so disgusted me that I couldn’t watch the show anymore because there would have been many more qualified women or men who would have taken her salary as co-host of “Morning Joe” which she was able to get by using her father’s contacts and rolodex followed by a clearly intimate relationship with the “Joe” of “Morning Joe.”

Mikka Brezinski should clearly not write about issues regarding women’s pay since as she admitted on air she received a significant bump in salary when Joe Scarborough saw what she was earning compared to his salary, but usually that sort of interest is only taken when there is a much more personal interest between the two parties working together. This is fair game given the book that she then wrote and her quotes on the show during that time while I still watched “Morning Joe.’ Cry in your Hermes scarves, Mikka, because I don’t see a 2.0 for you after Joe Scarborough, so stick with the scarves and don’t put your name on the list for an Hermes Birkin Bag so that you can have that money when you need to buy your own co-op in Manhattan.

8. Gary says:

Just as well. Her voice was very sharp and irritating for the morning show anyway. Goodbye!

9. Dan says:

Writer forgot to mention she was one of the lead anchors in 2012 of CBS This Morning

10. geenadare says:

Who care – never liked her – liked Jenna Wolf and they bumped her for this one who acted as if she had been there forever – they show is better without her and nice that after that accommodate her she leaves – good riddance to bad rubbish!!!

• Bill says:

They accommodated her? How’s that? By dumping her from the network and pushing her over to MSNBC? Erica has way more credentials as a journalist than Jenna Wolf, who was a sports reporter before she joined NBC.

11. Scott says:

I really enjoyed Jenna Wolfe on Weekend Today, now she’s gone. I kept watching because I liked Erice Hill, now she’s gone. Not watching anymore.

12. Ruth Fiester says:

Erika, I will miss you!! You were the reason I got up early on Sunday mornings to watch Today on NBC. Wishing you well in your new endeavor, and if I spelled your name wrong, I’m sorry