NBC Stations Renew ‘The Ellen DeGeneres Show’ Through 2020

The Ellen DeGeneres Show
Courtesy of Warner Bros. Television

“The Ellen DeGeneres Show” has sewed up a three-year renewal with 10 NBC-owned stations, ensuring that the host will keep yakking in daytime through the 2019-20 season.

NBC O&Os have been home to Warner Bros.’ “Ellen DeGeneres” since the series’ debut in 2003. DeGeneres has solidified her place as the top-rated daytime talker among women in the four years since Oprah Winfrey ended her run in syndication.

“For more than a decade, ‘Ellen’ has anchored the daytime lineups of the NBC-owned stations, offering our viewers a great afternoon show, delivering a strong lead in for our early evening newscasts and helping to launch new hits,” said Valari Staab, president of NBCUniversal Owned Television Stations.

Warner Bros.’ previous pact for “Ellen” with NBC stations ran through the 2016-17 season. The early renewal is a sign of the show’s importance to the NBC O&Os, which cover New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., Miami, San Diego and Hartford, Conn.

“Day in and day out Ellen delivers the best show on television. Ellen and her team produce a completely unique and exciting hour, which is appointment television for viewers everywhere,” said Warner Bros. Domestic TV Distribution TV president Ken Werner.

The “Ellen DeGeneres” renewal comes as the NBCUniversal Television Distribution confirmed the cancellation of “The Meredith Vieira Show” at the close of this season.

To fill the hole in the daytime schedule left by Vieira’s departure, NBC stations in New York and Los Angeles and two other markets will add 4 p.m. newscasts (most of the others already have 4 p.m. newscasts). That marks the first newscast in the time slot for WNBC-TV New York and the first 4 p.m. newscast for KNBC-TV Los Angeles since 2002. The newscast launches mean “Ellen DeGeneres” will slide back an hour from the 4 p.m. slot in New York and L.A. to 3 p.m.

The flagship NBC stations’ decision to add another hour of afternoon news is a loss of prime real estate for syndicators. But with the dismal track record of first-run launches during the past few years, it’s no surprise that NBCU would opt for news over even another NBCU-produced syndicated offering.

“Our stations have done a great job building their news teams, enterprising stories and delivering our viewers the local news, weather and information that is important to them,” said Staab.

1. Phyliss says:

My daughter Kelli has a lot health problems she was taken out of work and her car was taken away my the car company. She olny been married less then a year.she has awesome husband Jordan he is wonderful . They live with me and he is starting new job in July with the sheriffs department. We all love you and watch everyday. Thanks Kelli mom phyliss Clark

2. Anita Bailey says:

Why? I am not a fan of hers nor the show. I really wish they would take her off.

3. Christine Ihorn says:

I have been watching Ellen DeGeneres’ shows since the 1980’s when she’d bring her mother to her show pretty often. I wanted to seek her loving assistance as my life (now at 73 years old) has put me in a most dire poverty level. I know this might never make it to Ellen directly but would love to speak to someone who might be able to assist me by contacting me so I might be able to tell my story. I’m embarrassed to ask but thought she might be able to assist me in any small way. I love you, Ellen; always have. Try to never miss your show. I hope it’s possible to get through. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you connected with her on or off her show. Love you all. Thank you for listening to me.

• Delores Sweat says:

My name is Delores Sweat I watch your show every day I love the show. I’m disable because of accident hit &run head on drunk driver don’t have a car so I’m stuck in the house looking at TV because I can’t walk but so far but I love looking at your show I would love to meet you one day Ellen I think you’re very nice and sweet person.

4. ellen zeserson says:

I take it her show will con tune to be on in MA

5. Marianne Brown says:

Soooo very glad to hear that Ellen will keep on spreading laughter and love ❤. She makes depressed people like me laugh. Laughter after all is the best medicine !!!!

6. Mary. Aycock says:

Ellen’s show is on cbs. Not nbc, I do believe……….

7. I love Ellen, wether it be, talking, laughing, smiling, yakking or singing.

8. Nelia Amaro says:

Ellen’s going to “keep yakking in daytime through the 2019-20 season” … what kind of comment is that?

9. Diana Himes-Rowland says:

You cannot put a younger face to this show, it’d called the Ellen Show for a reason, its Ellen we want to see. Ellen leaves we also leave. Wrong decision!

10. Debbie says:

Please Bring Ellen back at 4pm!

11. iamnotellen says:

OMG !!! I wanna Ellen !!!!

12. Maricela says:

This is by far the greatest news I’ve heard this year lol I am so very happy. That just adds another 4yrs of 1 hr of enjoyment in my life. I love Ellen and how kind hearted she is it should be a crime for Ellen to retire.

13. Mrs. Carolyn Scissons says:

I Love Ellen’s Shows she makes alot of people laugh, cry, sad, surprised, scares people, gives to Charity’s, and really cares about people, Friends and she is so Incredible to people that lost alot of stuff, thete homes, people, cars, and most of all puts smiles on alot of Cancers people faces, even other people’s decease I can go on and on but I think you all know how much her HEART HAS HELP SO MANY PEOPLE IT INCREDIBLE, Man when I found out my Grandson had Cancer, she made me feel so incredible that I was doing everything I can to help him, so Thank you so much words cannot describe what you mean to me and other, keep up the excellent work! I love you for who you are, don’t stop.

14. Nancy Perez says:

Ellen is very genuine and has made put a smile on many individuals.Is a prestige honor to renew the show again on the air.She is very humorous and willing to help start someone in need so they can achieve their goal.She is very dedicated when it comes to someone education.I strongly feel she has changed people lives in may ways. She will contuie her legend and her legend will live on

15. me says:

If I live to be 100, I will never understand the appeal of Ellen DeGeneres. For someone whose career is “comedian”, she has never, ever, said one thing that has been remotely funny.

• Catherine Hoffman says:

I am sorry that you don’t find her comical. I remember sitting in the hospital’s imagery department with my Grandmother and waiting for her turn. Ellen came on the tv. My Grandmother looked at me and asked me if I liked her and without missing a beat then began to tell me all of the reasons why she hated the woman and the show. I replied to her that I actually did enjoy the show, it was the first time as an adult woman that I didn’t agree with her to keep the peace, I had always been so afraid of her response. But she actually sat there with me and watched it and interacted with me about what was happening on the show, a few of the other people would chime in as well. Funny thing is that’s the best conversation I’de had with my grandma before she passed away. It actually opened our relationship up. So I have to disagree with you. I love her. My Grandmother never changed her mind about Ellen, but she never bad mouthed her in front of me either.

• Quicksilver says:

Her show is awful. The ratings are quite low. Oprah she’s not. Seems like she’s just phoning it.

16. Dawn Vig says:

eternally grateful to the woman for making my mother smile even in the midst of her depression and for being such a philanthropist all these years Beautiful heart-

17. Sherry says:

Yay amen to God I love the Ellen shows

18. bstnh1 says:

Horrible show with cued yelling and screaming – obnoxious!

19. Henry says:

Boring, dimwitted, and lowly rated.

20. She’s a winner….congratulations and looking forward to many more years, Thank you

21. imustseemovie.com says:

I am happy glad her show was renew