CNN, MSNBC Plan Coverage of Donald Trump Event Opposite Fox News Debate

Donald Trump Fox News
MediaPunch/REX Shutterstock

Both CNN and MSNBC intend to cover parts of an event Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump intends to hold in Iowa during Fox News Channel’s broadcast of a Republican debate this evening.

MSNBC plans to cover portions of the Trump event live, including a speech by the candidate during the 9 p.m. hour, according to a spokeswoman for the NBCUniversal-owned cable network. Time Warner’s CNN, meanwhile, could treat it as a live news event, according to a person familiar with the situation, with coverage will largely depending on the nature of what is being presented.

Neither network plans to pre-empt regular programming. At MSNBC, “The Rachel Maddow Show” will air at 9 p.m., as expected. CNN intends to air “CNN Tonight With Don Lemon” for two hours starting at 9 p.m., followed by analysis anchored by Anderson Cooper of the Republican debate as presented on Fox News Channel.

The moves signal a willingness by Fox News competitors to try and make some hay from a feud that has erupted between the 21st Century Fox operation and Trump. The Republican candidate said Tuesday he would not take part in Fox News’ coverage of the debate, which is being broadcast just days before the start of the Iowa Caucus, a seminal stop along the campaign trail.

The candidate and the cable-news network are ostensibly bickering over Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly, who Trump has expressed  a dislike for since she asked tough questions of him during a previous Fox News-hosted Republican debate last year. Fox News has said in a statement that it would not allow a political candidate to dictate the moderators of its debates or the questions they ask.

To be sure, Trump may have something to say. He has said the event would serve as a fundraiser for veterans. Republican Presidential candidates Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum are expected to attend.

Trump’s exit is not likely to undermine the economics of the Fox News broadcast. The network has said in a statement that advertising surrounding the broadcasts of the debate is sold out and that none of the sponsors have asked to pull commercials.

1. j says:

Hillary’s lack of her pack of lies and when was the last time she held a debate?

2. Hi I have a comment about elección George Bush and Clinton… Republic devide 2 pares .George Bush and Rush this last one take 18%win from you republicans treated to remember you republicans dont kicking Tromp….you gonna see it elephants to kicking back …I republic since 1954 and I fallow every election since then …I win all my elleccion I win.Tromp is the old son of Ronald Regan because is re sample of him all ideas and strong

3. Chan says:

Fox clobbered both of the Democrat outlets in the overnights.

4. Tracydobbins says:

Rachel , so call commentator on cnn who was bashing Trump is a mean angry
    Lonely women!!?! We are so sorry for you.😩

5. Jim carnes says:

I am a veteran and was interested In Trumbs program, all I got was commentary on what could not hear

6. Catherione says:

Good for Trump. Ms Kelly did not ask tough questions of Trump rather she was rude and condescending to him and He was right not to participate in the debates giving her another chance to ridicule him in public. Good for Trump. Trump 2016

7. J.R. Bates says:

I tried to watch the Trump event in Iowa but I picked the wrong channel all I got was a woman named Rachael that bashed him worse than any of his opponents either Rep or Dem have ever done. My last time to ever watch MSNBC . They where trying to hurt Trump but they did that without thought of the possibel loss for our VETS, which I am one of Korea

8. jack says:

Good riddance CNN, that was a wasted hour of my life. thanks for interrupting most of it.

9. HOW DOES RYAN LIZZA KNOW THIS EVENT IS BORING WHEN IT’S GOING ON RIGHT NOW. WHAT THE FUCK. I’LL DECIDE THAT MYSELF. I CAN NOT BELIEVE HOW CNN IS CONDUCTING THIS EVENT. Since CNN acts like this is so boring and you continue your rudeness and talking over the stage I am absolutely appalled . I OFFICIALLY HATE CNN. I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS AND CNN HAS RUINED IT. I LOVE DONALD TRUMP. TRUMP 2016

10. TELL CNN TO SHUT THE FUCK UP. I WANT TO HEAR TRUMP FOR GOD SAKE NOT THEM. RUDE AS HELL NO WONDER CNN IS 3RD RATE. WON’T WATCH ANYMORE. THIS WAS HORRIBLE COVERAGE. WORST I’VE EVER SEEN

• charles says:

Margie you need to go back to the white house and help those fools come up with more reasons not to arrest obama and hillbilly

• Margie memmer says:

Charles what the hell are you smoking? I wanted to hear Trump. Not Lemon and certainly not Van Jones. CNN IS UNPROFESSIONAL AND I WILL NEVER WATCH AGAIN.

11. Sheila Kelly says:

Why can I not hear what Trump is saying? CNN is not even televising Trump’s event!!!! What a joke.

12. jack says:

I wish the news people would shut up, it’s like watching TV and everybody in the room is talking. shut the fuck up!!

13. roger says:

Yall suck go n to put trump down like that and she well we all know she dont suck if u know what i mean but y she got to put him down so bad o cause she a hater and the $ go n to the vets 5 mill will help them so shut up bitch and vote for trump

14. Angel says:

Can you ease stop talking and let Trump and his affiliates try to raise money for the veterans. Yall are what’s wrong with this nation! Yall talk and talk and do absolutely nothing! With all the finger pointing yall do with ragging people and someone FINALLY stands up and gives it back, now you don’t like it….. I can’t wait till trump is president. Maybe some changes starting with you will take place!

15. Darla Croom says:

Would you CNN people quit talking so we can listen to Trump! We are wanting to watch him not YOU!

16. Lily turner says:

Trump on CSPAN 8PM CH 210 DISH

17. Rochelle odea says:

Brave move trump love it,at least some one is standing up to the conspiracy

18. Kerry says:

Thanks for the information, but your use of punctuation is atrocious.

“with coverage will largely depending on the nature of what is being presented.”

Also, does anyone proofread this before it gets posted?

19. John Martin says:

I have had it with MSNBC showing Trump doing anything. Really, a shot of his stupid jet parked at the airport. You have to be kidding. Playing everyone like a fiddle. Makes me sick. Makes me turn the channel. Why do you play his games?

20. Dee says:

Of course they will cover the “event” because they are the private unpaid marketers behind Mr. Trump. Networks on crack. Just can’t say no.

And Joann, with no disrespect to what you’ve been going through because I don’t know, neither does Trump know what you’ve been going through, nor does he care to know and if he did know he would likely consider you a “loser” for not being able to handle it yourself. Think long and hard about this please.

21. Ken S says:

Trump is the man! You gotta love it. America first!

22. Joann says:

I do want Mr. Trump on TV tonight, he understands what the American’s have been going threw. He’s a businessman and know’s how to handle many many people, and he has many important people behind him that can back him up in making the right decision’s. I truly believe in him.

23. Carl Walter says:

Why would CNN and MSNBC provide live coverage tonight of Trump’s event opposite the Fox- sponsored Republican Debate? In itself it’s no more news worthy than any of the other Trump campaign events that haven’t been covered live. It also plays into Trump’s strategy of getting free publicity and extra coverage for himself. He has criticized, insulted and dictated terms to the media since the first debate, and except for Fox, the TV stations have generally given in or kept silent. The print media,–The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Washington Post; etc.–have generally weathered his criticisms and insults and continued their unvarnished coverage of Trump as a divisive, xenophobic demagogue, offering crude comments, oversimplified solutions, grandiose schemes, easy sound bites and little substance in his campaign.

• jsm1963 says:

The media obviously needs the audience. Fortunately, from what I’m seeing from these comments, they didn’t just allow Trump to get away with unfettered free TV time. Trump’s plan failed.

24. FOX News can claim advertisers did not pull ads, but I know from a source at FNC that they had to cut the rates for many of those ads.

25. ABL says:

Fox took a huge loss on what they could charge for ads placed.
    They might be sold out in ad space but a fire sale price.

• jsm1963 says:

Don’t believe Trump. Ad rates didn’t change.

• cadavra says:

They’ll likely offer some make-goods if the ratings fall short, but they’re making so much money just from monthly cable fees that they can easily weather a small hit like that.

• The Truth says:

All the ads were sold prior to Trump’s withdrawal. No fire sale.

None of the sponsors have asked to have their spots pulled. No Fox revenue loss.

Presidential candidate Donald Trump won’t face Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly. No balls on Trump

• Richard says:

Trump trumps himself as a big draw it will be interesting to see how the ratings shake out for the debate but last nights O ‘Rielly was up 16% over his wed night average so if the debate is down by about the same not a big loss and maybe it will show Trump he is not the big draw he thinks he is .