‘Days of Our Lives’ Renewed for Season 51

Days of our Lives
Courtesy of NBC

NBC has renewed enduring daytime soap “Days of Our Lives” for Season 51, NBC announced Thursday.

“NBC is incredibly proud of the legacy of ‘Days of our Lives’ and we couldn’t be more excited to bring its fans new stories for the 51st season,” said Jennifer Salke, President, NBC Entertainment. “In a business where having a show remain on the air for two seasons is considered a success, what ‘Days’ has achieved is extraordinary.”

In its 50th season, “Days” is averaging a 0.90 rating, 6 share in women 18-49 and 2.901 million viewers overall in “most current” ratings, according to Nielsen. The show has garnered 43 Daytime Emmy Awards, including 2015’s Outstanding Daytime Drama. It airs on NBC in the United States and in more than 25 countries internationally. The show celebrated its 50th anniversary last November.

Steve Kent, senior executive VP of programming at Sony Pictures Television, which produces the show with Corday Prods., explained the show’s longevity to Variety at the time: “Forty or fifty years ago, scenes went on for four or five minutes as the organ music was swelling. At the time it was compelling, that’s why it stayed on the air. But you have to keep evolving. That’s why we’re constantly updating.”

“Days of our Lives” is set in the fictitious Midwestern town of Salem. The core families are the Bradys, Hortons and DiMeras, and the multi-layered storylines involve elements of romance, adventure, mystery, comedy and drama.

“Days of our Lives” is produced by Corday Productions Inc. in association with Sony Pictures Television. Ken Corday is executive producer, with co-executive producers Greg Meng and Albert Alarr. Dena Higley and Josh Griffith are the head writing team.

1. Eric says:

I’m pleased that Days has been renewed. I’ve watched it off and on over the years… and have been watching it regularly since CBS unceremoniously canceled its 2 long-running soaps ATWT and GL. ABC didn’t do soap fans any favors either when they canceled AMC and OLTL. Another soap I miss seeing is AW. Y&R and B&B are okay. I think the soaps still have an audience.

2. louise says:

SO HAPPY DAYS HAS BEEN RENEWED…………..Been Watching 30 years………….Love This Show……AGAIN THANKS RENEWING…..GREAT ACTORS AND STORYLINES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Kathy Beason says:

Oh Made my day !!! I have watched this show for almost the whole 50 years !!! !! I have to agree the new kids are hard to watch

4. Yeah!!!! Couldn’t be happier to have it renewed for another season. Thank you so much for making so many people happy. It is the best Soap ever!!!

5. Bobbie says:

Thank You for renewing DOOL. I can remember watching it with my Aunt when I stayed with her during the summer & hated to see it canceled. Love the characters, but some of the actors that were brought on to replace the younger ones, I can do without. Now if they could just get rid of Andre forever & put him in a prison that has a mental ward. He’s worse than his Father.

6. kristine says:

Thank You so much I have watched it for ever but these new kids are boring.

7. Raven says:

I have watched Days of our Lives for 50 and loved the direction the show has gone and the characters. Happy to read that it has been renewed for another season especially with all the rumors that it might be coming to and end. But over the last few months it has been going in the wrong direction in part mostly due to the new younger characters that replaced the children on the show. They went from being in what 2nd grade and now are 16 or 17. The actors they chose to make the transition are horrible at their craft especially Hope’s daughter and Aiden’s son. It appears they are really trying to do away with/kill off as many as the original characters that made this show what it is. If it continues on the downward spiral and the direction that it is going in now I’m not sure I will continue to watch it.

Case in point, today’s Valentine episode. It was horrible.

8. Linda Frost says:

I am glad DOOL was renewed, but it is going down the the wrong direction right now. I have watched for 50 years, so I know what I am talking about!

9. M Cheryl Lewis says:

Thank you so very much. I have been watching this show since it’s inception 50 years ago. I am now 70 years old and want to watch it forever. It is the BEST soap ever. Thank you for all of us DOOL-ers.

10. Dora says:

Thank you so much I starting to worry

11. Jackie Taylor says:

Renewal is just wonderful!!!! Thanks Sony.

12. ChipL955 says:

If the show started in November 1965, wouldn’t it already be in Season 51 (Season 1 having been 1965-66, Season 50 being 2014-2015). So unless this renewal is just until November of this year (the article doesn’t say), I would think the show would be renewed for Season 52.

Also, Steve Kent, learn your show’s history. “Days of Our Lives” has always used pre-recorded orchestral music, not organ music. You can watch the first episode on YouTube and see for yourself.

13. Tammy says:

Yeah!! I am so excited! Thank you!!!!!!!

14. Janet says:

Thank You, Thank You, Thank you! I have watched all 50 years!