David Hasselhoff Eyes Return to U.S. TV with New Series

David Hasselhoff
REX/Shutterstock

David Hasselhoff is eager to be welcomed on American shores.

The actor has found much success overseas over the years, most recently exec producing and starring in the U.K. stage musical “Last Night a D.J. Saved My Life,” which ran through February. But now he wants to come home.

“I’ve been over there too long,” said the man best known in the States, perhaps, for his turns on the U.S. TV series “Baywatch” and “Knight Rider.”  “I’m happy to go where the sun is shining or the snow is falling, but I’ve had it with the rain over in the U.K.,” he said in an interview, after taking part in a session for the new “Baywatch” movie slated to debut in 2017.

Hasselhoff could be primed for an American revival, of sorts. The six-episode first season of his U.K. “mockumentary” series “Hoff the Record” is slated to debut on Mark Cuban’s AXS cable-TV network on March 31 The series stars the man recognized as many as Mitch Buchannon moving overseas to get his career back on track, while navigating some surreal obstacles.  The show is distributed by BBC Worldwide North America. To draw attention to the new offering, AXS, known mostly for programming devoted to live events and music, will this Saturday host what it calls a “Hoff-A-Thon,” a block of content curated and hosted by Hasselhoff. Get ready to watch clips of everything from “Piranha 3DD” to “The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.”

Hasseloff takes it all in stride, but believes U.S. audiences will enjoy the new series. AXS “plays mostly music, and all of a sudden, here’s something that is a quirky comedy, but the comedy is kind of rock and roll,” he says, exuding the confidence of, say, a Michael Knight at the end of an hour of “Knight Rider” when the plot has been resolved and he and KITT, the super car, emerge victorious.

“We will see what happens,” he said of the new program. “I’m hopeful it works, because if it doesn’t work, I’m going to be down at Variety working in marketing,” he joked.

Hasselhoff has other projects to juggle. He recently was part of a promotion of NBCUniversal’s Cozi TV digital-cable offering that featured “Hoff-A-Minute” news reports on his comings and goings as part of a marathon of “Knight Rider” episodes. His daughter, Taylor-Ann Hasselhoff, anchored the segments. The actor has a role in “Sharknado 4,” the latest monster spoof from NBCU’s Syfy cable network. And, of course, there’s the new iteration of “Baywatch.”

Hasselhoff praised Dwayne Johnson, who has taken over the role of Mitch Buchannon in the remake. “He’s a hell of a nice guy,” he said. Would Hasselhoff want to lead another “Baywatch” crew? “I feel like I’ve moved on to other things,” Hasselhoff said.

He hopes one of those things will be a new “Knight Rider” project. The idea has for several years been rumored to be gestating at the Weinstein Company, and Hasselhoff wishes executives there would pick his brain. “I see it as more of a continuation of the TV series, and they can add new characters or whatever, but they should basically keep the same feeling of the show. There are so many people out there that will absolutely freak out and love it,” he explained. “It would be Michael Knight kind of coming out of retirement with his son and having adventures around the world, and doing a ‘Fast and Furious’ with the Knight Rider car. How cool does that sound? How cool could it be?”

If audiences agree, Hasselhoff would certainly ride again. “I’d love to turn ‘Knight Rider’ into a real franchise,” he added.

1. Ian storey says:

I would love to see Knight Rider come back they was nothing wrong with Knight Rider 2008 I thought it was brilliant not as good as the old one but it was brilliant

2. Bruce says:

Michael Knight playing the role as Devin Miles, Michael will still have the old KITT car. I know in the movie the old KITT car was destroyed BUT, it could be rebuilt. Introduce a new younger character to assume his old role.. This could work if done right. I would certainly turn into this show each week to see this if done right.

3. Chris Grace says:

I would go for a new KR but Michael would have to have assumed Devin’s role as the head of FLAG. KITT would still be the Black T/A but a new more advanced model would be the primary driven by the, already established and accepted by the fans,Son of Michael. I do not however,recommend it being the Shelby KR that magically transformed like a cartoon character. Stick with the basics of season 1-3 and it should do well. True KR fans do not acknowledge season 4…..FYI

4. Amalgamate says:

we are going to say no thank you…

5. That would be awesome i have been waiting for years for David hasselhoff
    To do a reboot or to pick up where they left off in original KNIGHT RIDER.HOPE YOU START SOON! I WATCHED KNIGHT RIDER EVERYDAY WHEN I HAVE SOME EPISODES ON DVD BUT NOT ALL OF THEM. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE ALL OF THE ORIGINAL AND THE. 2008 series my son would like to have them as well thank you

6. keith says:

I loved watching Knight Rider back in the 80’s as a kid when the original series ran and i sometimes watch knight rider on DVD Hell yes more knight rider. This would be awesome since they cancelled the newer series. Hell yeah! Why not? The possibility of my favorite childhood show properly coming back would really make this guy extremely happy! i say let’s do it and do it right once in for all! “One man can make a difference.”the only thing that would be differant is there woundnt be no devon miles
    in the remake of Knight rider as edward mulhere who played devon sadley passed away i didnt like Knight Rider 2000,or Team Knight Rider as i feltl they took away the concept of knight rider they did this with the remake of robocop witch i thought was ok but they changed alot of the story line etc shouldve kept the original storyline etc but made it better they changed so much; moving away from the original concept. That original recipe worked for a reason. The magic and chemistry of David as Michael and William Daniels as the voice of KITT was simply amazing and couldn’t be duplicated in each of the following attempts. How great would it be to finally see these gents back in their iconic roles with today’s HD technology and special effects? That is not a knock against the hard work that went in to the original series I’ll be even more excited to see Knight Rider using today’s production technology Kitt would have to be the pontiac tran sam like it was back in the 80’s would love to see an up to date version. of Kitt but do like the old versoin cant wait to hear if they will do a remake of KNIGHT RIDER as i for sure will be watching it and please could we have the original music in the remake and not the one they had in knight rider 2 000 or team knight rider yes knight rider 2000 music was good i will admit that i woulder what it would be like with the original opening theme but like the original theme better

7. Georgia says:

David ‘n KITT,…uh wait a minute,….MICHAEL KNIGHT and KITT!!!! THEY’RE BAAAACK! MAJOR ADRENALINE RUSH!!! CAN’T WAIT!!! ^_^ <3

ps,…allcaps, NOT yelling,….just me being SUPERSTOKED!!!

8. Shaun says:

Im 19 and a huge fan. Absolutely loved watching knight rider as a kid, when it was reaired on Bravo… in about 2000 and again in about 2009/10?
    I liked the remake series in 2008, stunts and technology were great.
    Watched knight rider 2000 as well, was a great follow on from the original series.
    It would be truly great though to have the typical ‘one last drive’ seeing father and son work together in a concluding finale with both the original KITT and new KITT.

9. Elizabeth says:

I enjoyed watching it to in the 80s as a child. The relationships and technology was amazing and important to me.

10. Dino says:

I was a kid when the original series ran and I sometimes find myself watching the reruns. It wasn’t the greatest show on TV but the relationship between Michael and KITT made it all worth it.

I’m all for more Knight Rider as long as KITT is the same 1982 Trans Am. I cannot imagine it being anything else. I’d also want William Daniels to voice KITT but that’s unlikely to happen.

11. Chris Kerr says:

12. Spider says:

Hell yeah! Why not? The possibilities are endless and I believe there is room for a legitimate, “Knight Rider” franchise. Come on Hoff. Make us believers in KITT again.

13. Michael says:

If this is true, then you can count me in! Again, I just hope it’s true. We’ve been let down so many times before…

Knight Rider 2000, Team Knight Rider and the recent series in 2008 were not successful because they changed so much; moving away from the original concept. That original recipe worked for a reason. The magic and chemistry of David as Michael and William as KITT was simply amazing and couldn’t be duplicated in each of the following attempts. How great would it be to finally see these gents back in their iconic roles with today’s HD technology and special effects? That is not a knock against the hard work that went in to the original series at all. Jack Gill and many other unsung heroes at Universal worked very hard to bring us Knight Rider. I will just know that I’ll be even more excited to see Knight Rider using today’s production technology. Keep in mind, the original show was only offered in mono. Can you imagine listening to Don Peake’s talented work in surround sound?