Craig Ferguson’s ‘Celebrity Name Game’ Renewed For Season 3

craig-ferguson-join-or-die
Courtesy of Adam Taylor / History

Craig Ferguson’s syndicated game show “Celebrity Name Game” has been renewed for a third season on Tribune Media and Sinclair Broadcast Group stations.

The deal takes the FremantleMedia North America/Debmar-Mercury strip through the 2016-17 season on its core local station affiliates. To date it’s been re-upped on stations representing more than 70% of U.S. TV households.

“Name Game” has bucked the odds and delivered decent numbers in a difficult landscape for daytime strips. The quiz show features celebrities competing to answer a rapid-fire series of questions revolving around pop culture. Ferguson won the daytime Emmy for game show host last year.

“We knew from the outset that this format had something special and seeing Craig win the Emmy for season one only reaffirmed our beliefs,” said FremantleMedia North America co-CEO Jennifer Mullin.

Debmar-Mercury chiefs Mort Marcus and Ira Bernstein noted that the game show has proven to be solid counter-programming in a sea of talk and court shows.

“Celebrity Name Game works so well because it is funny, serving as a viable alternative and companion to sitcoms on stations’ schedules,” said Marcus and Bernstein, co-presidents of Lionsgate-owned Debmar-Mercury.

Courteney Cox and David Arquette are exec producers of “Name Game” along with Scott St. John and Mullin.

1. Deke says:

My wife wants to know if the losing couple gets to keep the money they won.

2. patty johnson says:

Like the show but think that when they are trying for the $20,000 and don’t get it they should at least get $100.00 for every correct answer they do get..

3. KenK. says:

Love this show and happy to see it will continue. Enjoy both the game itself as well as the humor invovled- makes it my favorite game show.

4. NeatGifts says:

I agree that television has lost its since of responsibility progressively over the last 40 years.

On the other hand, I have always enjoyed Craig Ferguson and I enjoy him as host of CNG. I look forward to it every morning.

It might be a bit difficult to control Craig’s since of humor but then that is what bleeping is for.

5. v taylor says:

I can’t believe this show is on Prime Time TV! I like the idea of the show, but they get so raunchy! I can’t believe it’s on during the day. The joking around about genitals, and joking around about drugs which is so not funny. Some people have drug problems with their kids or someone in their family and it really hits close to home! I don’t know where you got Craig Ferguson he is not funny at all!

6. Elvira says:

I love celebrity name game. Some of the contestants are so funny. Some of the celebrities are funny too. Craig is so entertaining. I would live to see an all celebrity episode that raises money for charity. It’s my favorite game show.

7. Jerry says:

This show is hysterical and deserves to be renewed. Love it.

8. Jim Burgoon says:

I really miss Craig from late night tv and love him on celebrity name game so happy that it’s coming back for season 3 hopefully for several more seasons also

9. Carol Franz says:

2016 – We love & miss Craig Ferguson’s late night show very much. Thrilled to see him back on TV finally! He is a super, unique, untapped talent & hopefully some smart TV CEO will find the right venue for him to shine again!

10. Diane Collins says:

Great to hear it’s been renewed! I came across it one day and now try not to miss it. LOVE seeing Craig Ferguson again, this time in the DAY time when there’s a better chance I can stay awake! He is so funny and a great host anyway.
    Keep up the good work.

11. ketzl02 says:

The show is incredibly entertaining in so many ways, not the least of which is Craig’s creativity. The man is brilliant. I’m overjoyed that it’s been renewed.

12. John Miller says:

I didn’t know that the Craigster was still on TV! How ’bout that?