‘Fresh Off the Boat’ Star Constance Wu on Taking Action for Asian-American Visibility in Hollywood

Constance Wu On Filming 'Fresh Off
Brinson+Banks for Variety

As the star of ABC’s ’90s-set family comedy “Fresh off the Boat,” Constance Wu has emerged as one of the most critically acclaimed leading ladies on TV. The show’s third season launches this week, with an episode filmed partly on location in Taiwan.

How does it feel to be heading into season three?
When you start out as an actor, you try to establish a history for your character so all your choices have some roots. Now, not only do I have the history I created with my imagination, but I also have the history of playing her. It feels a little bit more intuitive for me. The toughest part for me doing a show, having never done even a pilot before is navigating the endurance that is required to do 22 episodes and take care of yourself in a physical and mental health type way. That’s a negotiation that I think only happens with experience. No matter how many people told me how to handle it you only learn how to carry a show by doing it. I feel like I’ve found that balance, which is good for my work and my health and my life.

Last season you had to do 24 episodes, is that when you learned that balance?
I think from both years, you learn how to negotiate self care and endurance over a long period of time. I was so used to doing indie movies — the filming schedule for those lasts a couple of weeks. It’s easy to keep up your energy for that because it’s an exciting three weeks. That’s not to say my show isn’t exciting, it is, but after three months that adrenaline is not enough. You actually have to participate in self-care to keep that energy.

What was it like filming in Taiwan for the season premiere?
The crew was wonderful; we brought a skeleton crew from America and used a lot of local talent. It was fun for me as an actor to navigate this experience of my character going back to her homeland but realizing her home has evolved into something else, and also still having an appreciation of her childhood home. That had some real strong ties to the immigrant story.

So often when we talk about Asians in media, people expect Asian-Americans to be placated by Asian content. They don’t distinguish between Asian and Asian-American content — they’re very different, and that’s not to place a higher value on one or the other. It’s just to give an awareness to people that to lump us together as the same story is reductive to our experience. The fortitude it took to come here as an immigrant, with no support system in a new place, sometimes not even speaking the language, and what it must take to have the courage to build that kind of a story and home from scratch — it is a different experience. When Hollywood executives think Asian-Americans are placated by simply Asian roles, I think that’s reductive to what it means for our immigrant experience and how unique and special that is to us. Asians and Asian-Americans — not better nor worse — just different.

Alan Yang recently used his platform at the Emmys to shine a light on some of that — that Italian-Americans and Asian-Americans make up the same percentage of the U.S. population but Italian-Americans have so many more diverse and highly acclaimed portrayals in pop-culture. And yet in the reactions to his comments I read things like, “Asians have ‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,’” which miss the exact point you just made. It’s not remotely the same.
It’s not the same. There are many Asian-Americans who don’t even speak Chinese, the language of “Crouching Tiger.” They speak Korean or Japanese, and yet they’re expected to be happy with that representation? And they’re Americans — Korean-Americans or Japanese-Americans. I think what Alan Yang did was especially brilliant because one of the lazy excuses that people often give Asian-Americans is, “You only make up a small percentage of the population and that’s why you represent a small percentage of narrative content.” What Alan Yang did is he didn’t make it about black or white, he made it about the culture.

It is true that Italian-Americans, though they are white, also have a wealth of content. Within that wealth there are things some Italian-Americans probably think doesn’t represent them, and some they think do represent them. But the main point is they have so many different narratives from which to choose. If you’re Italian-American, you are at the same percentage in America that Asians are, and you can probably find something that speaks to your experience. I am certain that “Fresh Off the Boat” does not speak to every Asian-American experience — some for sure, and for that I am proud and very grateful. But what he said was absolutely true, and wasn’t trying to pit anybody against anybody. It’s trying to make us think outside of color and think of culture and stories and narrative scarcity.

It feels like there’s at least a growing awareness and a lot of discussion about this. Do you feel there’s also action?
I definitely think there’s action being taken but action takes many forms. For some people action is writing blogs and essays or engaging in Twitter wars and for some action is making content, on YouTube or Vimeo — whatever platform you can — or writing your own short stories. For some action means having conversations with close family members who may not understand the implications of bias on the Hollywood financial market. The market was born in bias, and having those private conversations are a type of action. Sometimes we think only the people who have loud actions are truly active, but there are plenty of Asian-Americans out there making really incredible work on all sorts of platforms and I applaud that. It’s happening, but almost nothing happens overnight. The myriad ways we approach it, whether it’s by creating work or Tweeting about it — neither is better or worse, they’re just different ways of chipping through a barrier to shed some light on s—, you know?

Jessica Huang is one of TV’s great moms. How has it been watching your young co-stars, like Hudson Yang, 12, grow up these past few years?
It’s opened up my memories of what I was like when I was that age. I started in the theater when I was Hudson’s age. I remember how things felt. It’s awakened a dormant compassion in me, which I think is always good for any actor or artist. The richer your compassion and empathy is, the more reach you have. Being around them has really opened me up. Even being around parents, my peers don’t really have kids, so I don’t get to interact with parents. Randall has kids and the parents of the kids on the show, interacting with them is like a new experience for me. It’s good for me and I’m glad for it.

You don’t have children but you do come from a family with three sisters. Do you draw on any of your personal family experiences for the show?
No. Another thing [the show] has opened to me is how different the experience is growing up as a girl than it is as a boy. I don’t have any brothers. I didn’t even grow up around male cousins or nephews. The male childhood experience is one I only know through having been an adolescent, but at that time I’m boy crazy so it’s a different story. It’s very different, even the way the three boy actors interact with each other is very different from me and my sisters. I think if you look into the work that Geena Davis’ gender institute is doing, we plant those structural seeds very early on, in our cartoons and everything. It’s very hard to draw on my own personal experience because my family was so female heavy. I had male cousins but they lived in Canada and Taiwan.

Do your younger co-stars ever ask you to explain the show’s ’90s pop-culture references?
They don’t ask me; they have an acting coach they’ll ask. A lot of these ’90s references they use are hip-hop references. When I was a little girl, I wasn’t into hip-hop. I still don’t know much about it. But if they have a ’90s-girl teenager I might remember some of my own stuff. I don’t know if this line will make it into the show, but there was an Ani DiFranco reference recently — I was like, “OK, that one I get.” I was explaining to Hudson about “Little Plastic Castle” and everything.

Some people may be surprised that you have a passion for musicals. Do you have a recent favorite?
I always veer toward older musicals; I’ve always liked the Rodgers and Hammerstein kind of stuff. I’ve done a couple of Off-Broadway musicals, but I don’t promote myself as a singer. When I tell people I can sing, I think they think, “She’s one of those people who says that but can’t actually sing.” I actually went in for a meeting with one of the producers of “Little Shop of Horrors,” and I was like: “Test me. Try me. I will kill it for you.” I am never above auditioning. That excites me. I want to earn my place, show my salt.

1. boatfresh says:

Series 3 has been dreadful…a real drop in quality. I switched off about 6 episodes in. Now concentrates far too much on the annoying mother (more about the portrayal than the actress) and Eddie’s younger siblings. Eddie and the Cattleman’s Ranch are seriously lacking. Also, it’s almost as if it’s parodying itself now…definitely a different show to the one I enjoyed watching over season 1 and 2…

2. Carley says:

Chiropractors, licensed in Louisiana that have actually passed the
    Board Exam of the International University of Chiropractic care Pediatrics, the screening body
    for the Diplomate in Medical Chiropractic care Pediatrics, may currently make use of
    the DICCP credential.

3. Jiggins says:

I know it’s wrong to think this, especially considering that I’m the product of interracial grandparents. I’m 75% Asian but my children are 88% because both my pops and I married Asian women. So I know it’s racist to mention the ethnicity of her boyfriend, but it’s hard for me to take her seriously for just that fact.

4. John says:

I don’t know. She loses some credibility because she has a non-Asian boy friend. I mean there are stereotypes about Asian women and white men and the lack of romantic image of Asian men. It’s kind of like Asian women complain about being stereotyping but yet the stereotype in the West is the Asian women and white men pairing. It’s like she can’t see that herself and probably just claims it as I’m in love. How is that different from non-Asian stereotyping Asian people as a whole and calling it don’t be too sensitive.

5. I respect and admire Constance Wu. She is smart, open, and beautiful..and talented. Having said that, I think she pidgeon holes way too much…or strives too.

She reminds me a little of that newscaster Lisa Ling who came “home”, after dating virtually all white guys, to marry a Korean-American guy. She is of Chinese heritage I believe. Which is not Chinese the last I knew. She also called her husband a “typical Asian doctor”…whatever that is. Talk about stereotyping. If she married a white guy who is a doctor, would she say he is the “typical white doctor”? Lisa Ling also lamented that his mother is “so Christian”. I guess shame on the mother for not being Buddhist or Shinto or agnostic. But, both of Ling’s sisters are married to white guys. I wonder how she really feels about that.

Now, at least Ms. Wu has the fortitude and class to stick with her “non-Asian” boyfriend despite of attacks for being with him. I applaud her for that. My wife, who is Korean, and me (white) stuck it together going against both of our family’s wishes. We have been together for over 36 years now.

By lumping all “Asians” together in her show and her life (even politics), she is merely race baiting and nothing more. Race baiting is exclusive…under the cloak of being inclusive.

6. Keith Bryce says:

Stupid show, such a demeaning stereo typing of the Chinese. My wife is Taiwanese born
    and educated, migrated to the US after college, she thinks the show is insulting. We go
    to Taiwan every few years, I’m “white” and speak Japanese and Mandarin… better than
    anyone on that show except the Grandma. The Husband is played by a KOREAN, Two of the
    three children ARE NOT EVEN Ethnic Chinese! The wife is “ABC” and doesn’t even know how
    to REALLY act Chinese from Taiwan! The ONLY person on the show that IS actually Chinese
    is the grandma played by the famous actress Lucille Soong!! Have you noticed Randall
    Park NEVER says more than a couple words in Mandarin? Cause HE’S KOREAN!! In the recent
    trip to Taipei to see a cousin get married, he’s played by ANOTHER KOREAN!! You mean
    that couldn’t find any Chinese actors??? This show is Pathetic and Insulting.

7. Rex says:

So how come when Asian Americans make Asian-American movies, Asian-Americans don’t watch them? At least not in any significant numbers. As much as we’d all like our sub-cultures be the subject of hit TV shows and blockbuster smash movies, the fact is there are TONS of Asian-American movies — yes, most of them indies, just like those made by so many other American cultures — and yet Asians DON’T GO AND SEE THEM, and barely bother with them on video formats or streaming, and their distributors can’t justify pushing them because they seem to know few will show up, even fellow Asians. I mean, if the reflected audience can’t be bothered, who else will be? I’m prepared to start listing titles, too. Ms. Wu’s career to date has consisted mostly of roles in non-Asian-created indie movies, TV films and small parts (sigh) in higher-profile movies produced by The Man, but now that she’s in a position to make a difference and is willing to speak out so forcefully and clearly about these issues, I’m curious to know if she plans on either a) helping to produce works by Asian-American filmmakers who’ve been struggling for YEARS and/or b) appear in some of those productions to increase their cache? Or will she just keep pursuing small roles in non-Asian-specific productions outside of her TV show? Without deeds over words, we’ll just keep seeing Asian-American projects — GOOD ones — languish in the long tail of dwindling indie DVD sales and the dark recesses of streaming rental catalogues. I’m sure this probably comes off as snide, but as someone who actively seeks out Asian-American cinema, in theatres but admittedly more often on home video, I can’t help but ponder what it is that keeps these “little” movies from truly connecting with audiences, Asian or otherwise. Perhaps they need bigger AA names on board?

• Albe Sure says:

Its most likely because AA produced movies/shows are watered down for mostly a non-Asian audience. I dont think, from the onset, its geared towards an asian audience as we are very aware of its intent and attempts have been really lacking in authenticity for the most part. You most certainly will not catch me watching an asian program or movie without subtitles. i think Asian American produced shows do not accurately reflect the true asian psyche as the producers are probably not given the creative freedom by the brass which tries clumsily to make it palatable to the general public.

• Rex says:

I can’t fully agree that Asian-American films are watered down — I’ve seen far too many in the last 20 years to know that that’s only true in a very small number of cases — but I DO believe that your assumption that they’re watered down IS shared by many other Asian-Americans, possibly even the majority, and coupled with the fact that imported, subtitled entertainment from the Big Three Asian industries (Japan, Hong Kong and Korea) has had an established, respected global footprint for decades now, both of these factors essentially screw over Asian-American filmmakers because no one really bothers to support their work or cares about the stories they have to tell.

This in turn leads parties on both sides (the Asian-American filmmakers and the Asian-Americans who largely ignore their work) to turn their efforts instead to the far easier tasks of bitching about whitewashing by the Big Studios and issuing indignant demands that, for example, more Asians play superheroes even when those characters are rooted in source material where they were white (or black, or whatever).

Sometimes it seems like Asian-Americans are the worst enemy to Asian-American filmmakers telling Asian-American stories, less so the “white establishment” or whatever they’re calling it this week. It’s almost as though if the “representation” doesn’t have 20th Century Fox or Warner Brothers bankrolling it, then it just isn’t worth Asian-Americans’ time. The AA activists want more — and more substantial — visibility in studio fare that plays to ALL audiences from ALL cultures. Fair enough, yet much like “Albe Sure” above, they accuse their own filmmakers of essentially “watering down” their shows in pursuit of the same goal: wanting to make pictures that appeal beyond just their own diaspora, that speak to universal truths while maintaining cultural identity.

I think the “plight” of Asian-Americans in North American entertainment industries will always have difficulty gaining traction for a few reasons: 1) entertainment from overseas Asian industries is extremely good; 2) Asian-Americans generally won’t bother with Asian-American shows because they blanket assume they’re watered-down even when most of them are not; and 3) because of the protests of the likes of Ms. Wu, plum roles of increased visibility and importance in Big Hollywood movies will always be met with some measure of skepticism as to whether the casting was right for the project or was simply politically-correct ‘yellow-washing’.

Quite the conundrum, but I reserve the most sadness for all the Asian-American filmmakers who only had, maybe two shots at features and either had to give up on their filmmaking careers or assimilate into invisible gigs in the larger Hollywood system because when their own people won’t get behind them, how can anyone else be expected to do the same?