‘The Voice’ Contestant Christina Grimmie Shot and Killed at Concert

Christina Grimmie Dead
Broadimage/REX/Shutterstock

UPDATED: Christina Grimmie, a former contestant on “The Voice,” was fatally shot Friday night at her concert in Orlando, Florida, Variety has confirmed. According to CNN, the shooter was a 21-year old man who apparently did not know the singer but had traveled to Orlando specifically to attack her.

The 22-year-old singer was a finalist on Season 6 of NBC’s hit singing competition show.

Grimmie was shot following her performance at the Plaza Live Theater in Orlando, Fla. when a man, who police have since identified as Kevin James Loibl, approached her during a meet-and-greet.

A statement from Grimmie’s team reads: “It is with a heavy heart that we can confirm that Christina has passed and went home to be with the Lord. She was shot at her show in Orlando and, unfortunately, didn’t survive the gun shot wounds. We ask at this time that you respect the privacy of her family and friends in their time of mourning. If you’d like to give back to Christina’s family in her memory, please consider donating to the families’ GoFundMe page in their time of need.”

Following the shots, Grimmie’s brother reportedly tackled the shooter, who then shot himself and is dead.

Grimmie was brought to Orlando Regional Medical Center, per local NBC affiliate WESH, where she was in critical condition. Later that night, Grimmie’s reps confirmed her death to Variety.

Grimmie was on Adam Levine’s team during her time on “The Voice” when she came in third place. The young punk-pop singer has a large social media following, and promoted her Orlando show on her social platforms just hours before her tragic death.

Before Grimmie’s passing was confirmed, Levine took to Instagram to post a photo with the young musician with the caption, “I’m sad, shocked and confused. We love you so much Grimmie. We are all praying hard that you can pull through this…this just isn’t fair.”

“The Voice” coach Blake Shelton took to Twitter to also express his concern. He tweeted, “Cant believe this” and “praying.”

The Orlando Police also confirmed Grimmie’s passing on Twitter early Saturday morning, posting, “With deep regret, we have confirmed Christina Grimmie, has died from her injuries.”

“Christina’s talent, energy, and spirit set her apart as a true star, and this tragedy leaves a gaping hole in our NBC family,” said Robert Greenblatt, chairman of NBC Entertainment.

Radio Disney, which partnered with Grimmie on music releases and featured the singer at its Radio Disney Music Awards in April, called Grimmie “a wonderful young woman who reveled in sharing her talent and passion for music with the world.”

Awesomeness TV, who worked with Grimmie on music videos, added: “Christina was an incredible talent and bright light, and she had a deep personal connection with her millions of fans, while also making time to support the Humane Society. She will be missed by us all.”

Many other actors and musicians have taken to Twitter to post tribute to Grimmie, including Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Nick JonasColton Haynes, Lucy Hale and more.

1. Emma says:

This got me crying,I loved her on the voice so much and now she is gone…….WOW! I miss her!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Julie Martin says:

How does this guy, a part time worker at Best Buy, afford teeth whitening and hair implants???

3. Kaitilyn Austins says:

im pretty sure that im younger than most of u and im smart enough to know that its not the gun that pulls the trigger but the hand that does. So to further that, anyone with the ability to even shoot a person (everyone) has the right to a gun if they can prove themselves as a worthy gun holder. Not saying its right to shoot people but its impossible to prevent. people die and every time its the same thing: someone dies, people greive, we move on.

My condolences to the family and people close to Cristina.
    Sad things happen but all i can say to help is that she is singing with Jesus now.

4. Omg what has the world come to. RIP

5. Shannon Deyoung says:

People are absolutely insane. I have problems as do many others, but something like this is trying to make sense of the senseless. I am praying for her family , friends, fans, and coaches as I watch “The Voice” u can tell how personally attached and truly loyal they seem to each other and their co coaches. I heard Adam Lavine was paying for her funeral, or had offered I hope this is true…she looks so innocent, and Thank God died living here dream.

6. maricarbaguio says:

i cant believe that my idol died its so sad :( :( and always remember that i love you i know you didnt know me but my name is maricar baguio i lived in philiphines and and i know i never see you in personla but i will always looking at you show in youtube

7. Carol. A. Loyless says:

It’s just not fair to Christina Grimmie to die so young. She was a talented singer on the Voice on Adam Levennes team of Season 9 and this had to happen to her.
    My prayers and thoughts go with the Family at this Tragic time and I will pray for Christina and her Family at this sad time now. We all Love you Christina!🌷🌺🎀💗💜✝ we All will miss you Greatly including the “”Voice Team Members”” too.
    Farewell Christina!! We All Love You !!❤️❤️

8. Charles Smith says:

When is it Kosher to point out to the NRA that if everyone in the audience had a gun, this tragedy would NOT have been prevented? But if NOBODY in the audience had a gun it WOULD have been prevented.

• Christian says:

Charlie, if nobody had a gun- including this guy, she wouldn’t have been shot. It’s much more likely he would have been tackled if he just had a knife. Is that so hard to understand?

• Matt says:

I guess you two would have felt better if he blew her up with a pipe bomb instead? Bunch of idiots, I’d love to know how you plan to get rid of every gun on the planet. BTW, most people who own guns have nothing to do with the NRA, just shows more of your ignorance.

9. Xanthum says:

How cringing that her manager is just asking people to give money?? He doesn’t even specify the reason or the goal amount. How bizarre & tasteless. Not messages of support, just $$$. Does he get a percentage?

10. Judy says:

That’s when guns get into the wrong hands.so senseless. RIP Christina

11. Michelle says:

Where the article on the man the police have identified??? This is the older story. Your newsletter link points to this dated article.

12. Spike says:

Congratulations to the psychiatric profession: You created another homicidal zombie through the use of antidepressants. I hope you scum are proud of yourselves. And hey you liberal, gun-grabbing zombies, wake up and smell the antidepressants. They’re creating the homicidal maniacs you see in the papers every month. You want to refocus your rage against the psychiatrics who prescribe them, and the drug companies who make them.

• PretenderNX01 says:

LOL and maybe Trump will build a wall to protect us from the white men shooting everyone too.

There are thousands if not millions of people worldwide on antidepressants who manage each day to not shoot anyone or commit any other crimes.

• Matt says:

White men? Blacks commit over 56% of the murders in America, despite only being around 16% of the population, way to look foolish.

13. richard says:

Please don’t stop until every single self-righteous moron in America has assault weapons with which they can mass murder their fellow citizens while a chorus of bigoted imbeciles scream in outrage overtime somebody suggests this only happens in this country in the entire world for a simple reason. Maybe when there’re no people alive left, only the murderous gun-crazy morons, they will then shoot each other and rid the world of the plague of armed idiots.

• Histrionics aside, murder is a case of the weak human heart and selfishness. The added mixture of psychotropic drugs that alter the brain’s natural chemistry has created a condition in which far too many of us are walking around in a haze moments after “Dr. Feel Good’s Pills” have worn off.

All guns are, are loud. There have been several mass stabbing attacks that received none of the attention from the media, because they don’t fit a (false) narrative. Why a shooting is any worse of an issue of violence than the Knockout Game, or mobs of black teenagers attacking people at fairs in the midwest, or a host of other societal ills – is beyond me.

Weak human heart, and selfishness. Blame the hand, not my guns.

• Jim Eagle says:

Richard, understand the anger, etc. but the guns themselves had nothing to do with the cause. People get guns illegally, and even in Brittain where they are all outlawed, bad guys have guns. If someone around her had been armed , maybe they actually could have stopped the idiot. There is Evil in the world, and you don’t conquer it by being docile and submissive to it. Over 200 million guns out there owned by law-abiding citizens who aren’t crazy….. if they were, it would be very obvious. Yet, every day you see cases where those law-abiding citizens stop people wanting to do others harm and saving lives.

• Shelley says:

Actually, there are so few cases of “law-abiding” citizens actually stopping anyone. The everyday person cannot react rationally enough to function under pressure. While I don’t blame guns, I do blame people like his parents for clearly not doing their job at some level. If he’s crazy now, he was crazy as a teen. Or they raised a selfish, entitled bastard who can’t function in daily life because he was probably never told no. Typical for his age group

14. Tom says:

Younger than me. Jeez. Requiescat in pace, Ms. Grimmie. (fire arrow into night sky)

15. Nat Sec says:

First and foremost: To the family, friends, and people of The Voice. What a terrible thing that happened today. The hearts of many go out to all of you. We pray for you all and will always remember Christina. God Bless you Christina.

Now for the individuals who believe that blaming GUN VIOLENCE ON THE MENTALLY ILL INSTEAD OF SEEING THE CRIME OF MURDER AS A CRIME OF POLITICS THESE DAYS. YOU NEED THIS MESSAGE!!! Blaming a crime against a person on a “group” of people with a “LABEL” AS MENTALLY ILL BECAUSE OF GOING TO A DOCTOR IS A VERY DANGEROUS AGENDA. ITS THE SAME THING AS BLACK LIVES MATTER CAMPAIGN, ITS THE SAME THING AS ANY ATTACK AGAINST ANY GROUP OF LABELED INDIVIDUALS. AMERICA IS GREATER THAN THIS FORM OF DOMESTIC TERRORISM AND THIS AGENDA TO BASE VIOLENCE ON A GROUP OF PEOPLE WITH A CONDITION, RELIGIOUS BACKGROUND, SEXUAL PREFERENCE, OR ANY OTHER MATTER. IT IS not THE GROUP, IT IS not THE LABEL AND IT IS COMPLETELY UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

I seem to be DAZED AND CONFUZED due to my Mental Illness and all.
    Um being diagnosed as Mentally ill is a CRIME right and that’s why my rights should be taken away right??!!!
    How much time EXACTLY DO I NEED TO BE IN JAIL OR PRISON???
    So lets get this straight. It doesn’t matter if I’m depressed because I have not got any money, or mabey I’m homeless because of a job injury. Or mabey I’m having anxiety because of a series of events that PISS me off like ENSLAVEMENT and War based on taking away Liberty and Freedom. Or wait……… how about my parents BEAT me, or hold on I was abused sexually, or wait what about I’m just not performing well at school!!!
    NOW ALL THESE ARE PRIME EXAMPLES OF MENTAL ILLNESS BEING A CRIME SO I MUST BE PLACED IN A JAIL OR PRISON. FURTHERMORE I HAVE NO RIGHT TO RIGHTS OR FREEDOM OR INDEPENDENCE OR HAPPINESS OR THE ABILITY TO EVER DEFEND MYSELF FROM HARM. ESPECIALLY WHEN THE PEOPLE WHO LOVE ENSLAVEMENT WANT TO MAKE MY CONDITIONS I LIVE IN WORSE AND MAKE ME FEAR FOR MY SAFETY EVEN MORE.
    BOY AM I GLAD I WENT TO SEE A DOCTOR FOR MY illness, IM SORRY , my crime>

16. Christina doesn’t deserve to die, but the fool who killed her does.

17. jennifer says:

my condolences, it is really sad when a young beautiful talented woman who had just started out in life was murdered by a crazy fan.

18. gremlioni says:

Sad to hear about her death. I didnt watch her on the Voice . I had her song Liar, Liar which I downloaded way befire before she was on the Voice. I always thought shed make a name for herself just not like this. My condolences to her family.

19. Spider says:

RIP Christina. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family! ….Another life taken way too soon.

20. Megan says:

Who shot her

21. Ronnie says:

This is very sad to hear. Prayers for her family and her band as they deal with this tragedy. This is really going to change how artists greet fans. And where was the security at this venue? All of it makes no sense.

22. Alicia Stanford says:

You people are ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!! A 22 year old young lady was shot and killed, and rather than expressing condolences for her family and friends, you want to start a gun control debate????

May this young lady rest in peace, and her family be blessed with strength in the coming days, weeks and months ahead. Such a young life lost far too soon! Rest easy in the arms of the Lord, Christina!

• Mary Jacobs says:

Amen I watched her on the voice she was crazy amazing I cried like I loss a family member she could have done amazing things it is definitely a great loss thank you for putting this up God bless you.

• this is said after literally every gun violence death, which happens literally every single day. When is the debate appropriate?

• Matt says:

Gun violence is one of the lesser causes of death on a daily basis. Likely you’ve put your life, as well as others, in far more danger by texting while driving. People were murdered en mass long before guns genius.

• First of all, rest in peace Ms. Grimmie. re: the gun control debate…. Never let a crisis go to waste. It’s the lesson driven home hard by our current administration.

• ross says:

Yes? Because had it not been for ridiculously antiquated laws she would still be with us today.

Stop falling back on a piece of paper from a time when militias were relevant and potential enemies all round. Sort the lunacy out.

• The men contracted to protect her – bodyguards, concert security, and police – had guns. This was a failure to screen and keep the fans at a safe distance. He could have done the exact same thing with a pocket knife.

By the way, according to your logic, you are no longer allowed to speak your mind on this subject. That’s antiquated as well…

• Judith says:

Pray tell how you arrived to conclude that people wishing to do harm to others is somehow antiquated, and thus by extension so is the right to protect one’s self from said individual via a firearm, i.e. The Second Amendment?

Whereby your appeal to antiquity, is indeed a logical fallacy, the sooner you acknowledge the best way to stop a bad actor with a gun, is a good actor with a gun, you begin to operate from a place of knowledge in lieu of the solipsistic bubble to wit your original comment illustrates.

23. meh says:

There has to be more to this story. Orland attracts so much riff-raff, and low class losers, yet crime at Orlando,FL is hugely under-reported. The only reason why this attack is being reported is because its showbiz and “if it bleeds, it leads”.

24. Vasilis Alekos Korallis says:

Another perfectly logical reason to BAR the ordinary public from owning any kind of fire arm. How many senseless deaths does it take to put this law (ban guns) into action?

• penny says:

Yeah, criminals obey gun bans and gun laws, lmao.

• Matt says:

So….just govts should have guns? The govts that directly or indirectly kill 100’s of thousands, sometimes millions of people every year? The govts that seek more and power over their people at every turn? Yeah, let’s let them be the only one’s with guns, I trust politicians completely. Do you even take a split second to think before you type?

25. cadavra says:

Please tell me again how open carry laws make us all safer.

• Matt says:

Please tell me this magical place you speak of where there are no open carry laws and no one has guns and no one is ever murdered and wolves and sheep live side by side in harmony. What an idiot. Did banning prostitution stop it? Did banning alcohol stop it? Did banning drugs stop drugs?

Oh wait, I do believe murdering people is banned correct, yet, hells bells, this guy still did it, but hey, I’m sure all the people who ignore laws against murder, rape, theft will draw the line at gun laws, because, I mean come on, murder and rape is one thing, but disobeying a gun law – never. Grow up little boy and get in touch with reality.

• Please tell me again how the war on drugs has stopped illegal drugs and drug abuse…

• Shutup says:

This is an isolated incident, you people are to blind to see the bigger picture. If guns were banned bad people would still get guns. Drugs are banned, people still get drugs lol. Banning guns would just get a lot more innocent people hurt because they couldn’t protect themselves or there families. Robbers would just do what they please if guns were banned. So shutup with the non sense because of a single tragic event. Sad she died but it doesn’t mean guns should be banned :)

• Matt says:

You’re “done with this” because you’re spouting a bunch nothing and can’t refute anything I said.

1. It is not easy to get a handgun, at least not legally, the fact that you think it is shows you nothing about it.

2. What “tougher laws”, I asked you to give me specifics, not a slogan. What law do you want put in place that isn’t already there?

3. This is not happening “all the time”, in fact violent crime has been dropping since the 90’s and there are more guns in the hands of the people than ever, the news just blows it out of proportion and the drones fall for it.

4. I am not liberal or conservative, I can’t stand either side, guns don’t cause violence, nor do they prevent it, Japan has next to no guns, it has a very low crime rate, In Switzerland it is practically mandatory to have a gun and they have a very low crime rate. Culture is what determines violence, not mindless hunks of metal.

There are any number of ways this woman could have been killed besides a gun, I’ll stay on my high horse all day since I seem to be about the only person here who is dealing in facts rather than simplistic, emotional, and ultimately empty soundbites.

• Ahsoka23 says:

@Matt, What must be done you ask? Think about it!!! There needs to be laws that make living in the US safer. There needs to be stricter gun laws, not a ban on them. DON’T YOU THINK??!!! This is a common thing nowadays with people getting shot however it has to make you wonder, what is going on in the US that all this gun violence is happening. That girl should not have gotten shot and it makes me wonder what type of security was at this event. Why was it so easy for this guy to bring a gun to this event? Why is getting a gun so easy, whether it is illegal or legal. Why do people feel the need to have a gun? (rhetorical, all of these questions are rhetorical) Please use your brain and try to think outside the box and not make my comments and this so-called discussion into a liberal vs conservative argument because it is not!

Matt get off your high horse because I see your comments on this board. I am done with this.

• Matt says:

@Ahsoka23 What do you mean “how many times does this have to happen”? You do realize very few people are killed by crazed gunman percentage wise right? Sure it’s tragic when it happens, but you are far more likely to die in a car wreck, from poor diet, workplace accident, falling down your stairs, drowning while swimming and a laundry list of other things than by a crazed gunman.

So, you say “something must be done” – like what? By all means, enlighten me, what is it you think could have stopped this guy from killing her? Even if by some miracle all guns could be wiped from the earth, I do believe people were still killing each other in droves long before guns. With these “3D printers” hitting the market, soon people will be able to easily make their own guns.

• blip says:

I’m finding it impossible to listen to any more “shut up” messages from pinheads who are all packing heat but who are too stupid to know the difference between “there” and “their” (and, naturally, between “to” and “too”). Keep spewing that NRA propaganda about protecting your family. You’re a moron, and none of us are safer with creatures like you around.

• Ali says:

Yes, her death does mean guns should be banned but it’s never going to happen because of the dumb as shit populace of this country who actually believe guns help them protect their families. Look at countries like Australia for the facts and stop being so offensive.

• Ahsoka23 says:

Well something should be done! How may times is this going to happen until people wake up?!!! I am not against people owning guns but take responsibility for your possessions. FACTS.

26. Tracy Emert says:

Meh, if you’re so upset just because news stories get reported. Then STOP reading the reports and move on with your life. Don’t click on something and then complain of it’s existence. It makes you look, well… meh.