Cannes Film Festival Placeholder
Shutterstock

PARIS — Following a series of terror attacks across Europe, Reed Midem has ramped up security for its upcoming MIPTV confab which is due to kick off April 3 — less than two weeks after the Brussels’ attacks.

The stakes are high for MIPTV as the creme de la creme of the TV biz including execs from Disney, Vivendi and Sky and many stars, including the cast of A+E Studios’ historical drama miniseries “Roots,” are all expected to attend.

“The security of our clients is the top priority for the Reed Midem team. We are in constant contact with local and regional authorities around Cannes and we follow every instructions regarding security measures,” said Michael Williams at Reed Midem.

To ensure the most efficient security and centralize the access to the TV market, Reed Midem has moved the security checks 20 meters from the Palais, opposite the stairs, so that the area surrounding the Palais will be safe and clear. No one will be able to access the Palais without going through that security barrage, which will be more thorough than it’s ever been.

The security presence will also be significantly ramped up during the market. Compared with Mipcom, which took place in October and tallied 8,608 security hours, MIPTV will have its security staff work 9,183 hours during the five-day confab.

Controls will include metal detectors, bag searches and badge scans. No suitcases will be allowed in the perimeter around the Palais or inside the venue.

There will also be a limited access to the Palais for service providers and cars. All vehicles will have to be vetted, and identities of drivers will need to be communicated to Reed Midem.

After the Brussels attacks, the U.S. State Department issued a security alert to U.S. citizens planning to travel to Europe that expires June 20, but it appears to have a minimal impact on MipTV participation. So far 11,000 participants have registered for the confab and Reed Midem says it is on track to match last year’s figure.

Reed Midem, which organizes several confabs throughout the year, has already been able to test the efficiency of this security system twice since the Paris attacks of November 13.

The organizers went ahead with real estate showcase MAPIC only six days after the Paris attacks on November 19 with 8000 attendees, though 400 participants canceled their trips. Last week 24,000 people descended on Cannes for another real estate confab.

Cannes is certainly one of France’s most heavily secured cities, due to the fact that it hosts so many high-profile events, from MIPTV to the Cannes Film Festival and the G20 summit. Despite its modest population, Cannes numbers 200 armed police officers and nearly 500 surveillance cameras across the city.

In light of the Paris attacks, the Cannes mayor David Lisnard commissioned an audit from Israeli counter-terrorism expert Nitzan Nuriel and will be strengthening control of every entry point to the town including maritime checks on Cannes bay, among other measures, said a spokesperson at the Alpes-Maritimes district headquarters which has jurisdiction over Cannes and Nice.

The Cannes Film Festival, which opens May 11 and runs to May 22, is likewise expected to have a strong U.S. presence. Festival organizers have started prepping security protocols in collaboration with various authorities at local and regional levels, in order to ensure the best possible security in and around the Palais. Daily meetings with authorities and security staff will also be held during the fest in order to adjust the level of controls needed. The festival had already ramped up security last year following the Charlie Hebdo Attack.

The country remains under a state of emergency until May 26.

 

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 1