‘Bloodline’ Ending After Season 3 on Netflix

Bloodline Netflix Renewed
Courtesy of Netflix

Netflix’s “Bloodline” will end after Season 3, Variety has confirmed.

“’Bloodline’ season three will be the show’s final season,” Netflix’s vice president of original content Cindy Holland said in a statement released to Variety. “Todd A. Kessler, Daniel Zelman and Glenn Kessler are thoughtful and visionary storytellers, who lead a prestigious cast, that includes Kyle Chandler and Ben Mendelsohn, who have both garnered two Emmy nominations for their roles on the series. Together, with our collaborative partners at Sony Pictures Television, they created a seductive show that Netflix viewers worldwide love and continue to discover. We are looking forward to the exciting climax KZK have in store for the series conclusion in May 2017.”

The series has been cancelled following its 2017 run, with its third season set to consist of 10 episodes. A premiere date for the final season has yet to be announced. “Bloodline” is produced by Sony Pictures Television, and it’s unclear whether the studio will shop the drama around following its conclusion on Netflix. The show films in Florida, where its first and second seasons were covered under the state’s entertainment tax incentives, but Florida opted to discontinue its credits program this year, making the series a more costly proposition moving forward.

“Bloodline” was created and exec produced by Todd A. Kessler, Daniel Zelman and Glenn Kessler, and stars Kyle Chandler, Sissy Spacek, Linda Cardellini, Norbert Leo Butz, and Ben Mendelsohn. Chandler and Mendelsohn are both nominated for 2016 Emmy Awards for their work in the drama’s second season, and were previously nominated last year. Netflix renewed the show for Season 3 in July.

Speaking to Variety ahead of the show’s debut, Zelman admitted that the creators had plans for up to six seasons of “Bloodline,” should Netflix want them: “Even when we pitched the show we had ideas for what five, six seasons of the show could be because that was very important to us to think about ‘how does this evolve season by season?'”

1. Bob Saget says:

If the tax incentive is the issue, just move the show to the islands (like Bahamas, Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic) and film it there, or you could do it in Mexico.

Here’s a plot line for free that will explain away the location difference:

***Spoiler warning***
    Kevin gets extradited back to the United States after being captured in Cuba. John, feeling the pressure from the oncoming investigation and knowing Kevin will flip easier than a pancake, he bribes the prison guard driver from the Eric O’ Bannon funeral episode to “liberate” his brother in a staged escape. John and Kevin go on the run as fugitives.

Because the Coast Guard is already on high alert from the first escape attempt, they decide to cut through the Southern United States in hopes of crossing the border in Texas. Eventually, with a little help and a few close calls, they make it across the border and hide out in a town under fake names.

From the town in Mexico, they plot out a new plan to get to Central America and then South America or the Caribbean islands, thus beginning the fourth season of Bloodline.

2. Linda says:

Please reconsider canceling Bloodline. It’s a great show!

3. DIANNE says:

SUPERIOR ACTING, GREAT WRITING. THAT MUST BE THE REASON THAT THERE WILL BE NO SEASON 4. IT IS ACTUALLY A SERIES PEOPLE WANT TO WATCH RATHER THAN THE LAUGH TRACK, SAME OLD SAME OLD. ALWAYS HAPPENS TO A GOOD SERIES. THE EXECUTIVES CANCEL A SHOW IN THE FACE OF VIEWERS WHO ARE WATCHING A SHOW. BAD DECISION. BRING BACK A
    SEASON 4

4. TOM CRANE says:

getting tired and confusing. Good bye

5. Tina Gardner says:

Please please let there be a season 4 soon! I love love love this bloodline series!

6. Deb says:

What an exciting show. I am totally disappointed that it has to end after season 3. If there is anyway it could continue…..please,please,please let it happen!
    I am such a fan of Bloodline!!!!!

7. judy grooms says:

loved this series — also when will BATES MOTEL be on netflix -season 5 — i have watched them a million times – and i need to watch season 5 again —-loved it —-all the netflix shows have been so wonderful —– just have 10 more shows of BLOODLINE TO watch —-will surely miss it —–

8. Punk Te Xas says:

I just finished season 1. So freakin good. Canceling it leaves me with a bad feeling toward Netflix. They don’t stay committed to a good show so why should I even start watching one of their original series?

• Kim says:

It’s not Neflixs’ fault….it’s Florida and their lack of tax incentives. Cost too much to produce the series without them.

9. Peggy Shaw says:

This show could have gone in so many different directions after season 3. there were unanswered questions and stronger charters. It is really too bad it was cancelled.

10. lucas jayson says:

I love this show however season three was a bit of a mess. Kyle Chandler is amazing as is the entire cast. I am very disappointed this show ended. I looked forward to each new season. I will truly miss the show.

11. deepwoodmotte says:

Third season wasn’t as good as 1 and 2. S03E09 was a nightmare to watch.
    it was a good show but had to end, it wasn’t going anywhere

12. Sally says:

I want more bloodline!!!

13. William says:

Outstanding acting! Great storyline!

14. William says:

More! Season 3 isn’t enough. With Meg in LA, can do something!

15. Rose knott says:

Omg I just started watching this show on Netflix and found out it was cancelled, I WILL be cancelling my Netflix account. Why cancel something that YOUR customers enjoy

• JR says:

Dont blame Netflix. It isnt their fault. BLAME the state of Florida’s tax credits stopped— making the production to expensive to continue.
      I liked the first two seasons too… You’d think the state would want the income of filming in the state

16. Donna says:

Netflix screwed the pooch on this one. When you have something good you dont cancel it. That really upsets your fans and then ratings go down. It’s like if it’s not broke don’t fix it. Get your shit together.

17. Peter Williams says:

Very shortsided view by Netflix. The show is riveting, keeping your mind following each character.
    Bad move by Netflix to cancel the show. I just finished season 3. Powerful.

18. Alison says:

Please don’t cancel! I was riveted to the show from the off. So excited for season three!

19. Maria says:

Please don’t cancel this show!!! It’s a great show with a lot more to tell. It would be a shame to end it after only 3 seasons.

20. Georgia Quinn says:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, reconsider canceling this show!! It is the best series I’ve ever watched! What a great cast and storyline…it never gets boring. Netflix could afford to keep it, maybe if enough people ask them to make more, they would consider it?? Please Cast & Crew!! You are so talented!!

21. Lisa D'Andrea says:

It is a shame that Bloodline has been canceled. Great show, amazing actors, intriging stroyline. I am dissappointed that there will only be three seasons.

22. MICHEL MEACHAM says:

Bull. Netflix monthly fees can easily pay for the show. When most of Netflix movies are 10 years old are more. Most there content are 1 and 2 stare movies. When hollywood is pushing out remakes after remakes Bloodline was a refreshing story line to fall in love woth.

23. Carol McNeill says:

Loved the series. So sorry to hear that it is ending after season three.

24. Maryellen macginley says:

One of the BEST NETFLIX series, so so sorry to see it’s being cancelled BUT WHY. A really well written and best actors to love, can’t believe it. So looking forward to season 3, maybe they’ll change their decision and keep writing.

25. Denver says:

I’ve read all the articles about this cancellation and their excuses are bullshit and don’t add up. Bullshit tax thing is a crock cuz if its such great show and hit as I think it is and from what I’ve read and seen from other sources and other comments below I’m right then money shouldn’t be a problem. There is no way they are losing that much money on it that Netflix and Sony can’t come up with an agreement that pleases them both. That’s the problem and why it’s canceled after S3. Not for tax bullshit and it cost a lot to make the show it’s the fact the two companies can’t agree on something cuz the shows writers I’ve spoken about where and how many Seasons they envisioned it and they were thinking 5 or 6 assuming where each season brought them to and how it evolve of course. So now S3 is gonna feel rushed and forced along with the ending!! S2 was written before the writers knew that S3 was gonna be the finale so S3 and the ending will be affected by that. If they wrote S2 knowing that S3 was it then I’m sure things would have been slightly diff! This will affect the series as a whole. S3 isn’t out yet so can’t know for sure but that’s my feelings on it! Writers go into a show with a plan and where they wanna take it and how many seasons they want to take it, and they already factor in how the story will evolve as the seasons go so they are writing S1 S2 with a longer end game in mind. That will affect it. If they Knew it would only be 3 then maybe it would turn out better but let’s hope S3 and the show as a whole doesn’t get affected by this and remains a great show but they should at least given them a 4th season to finish it the way they wanted to. Now that they wrote S3 to be the series finale no other network or provider to pick it up! Netflix fucked up on this one that’s for sure! Only a few good shows they have. Now one less isn’t good for them!!

• Debbie says:

Totally in agreement here. I now have watched season 3 and the actirs really deserved more than they got. What a shame to cancel a great and intriguing series all too soon, and leave fans disappointed. Makes me not want to even start watching any other Netflix series because they ruin it for the viewers.

26. k kelly says:

this was a great series !!! not GOT but it was in my back yard , raw , truthful and down and dirty!!! waiting for 3 but SO disappointed its not 6

27. rexcortez says:

I wouldn’t want Hulu to do it, though, because I wouldn’t want commercials. Or, I’d have to spend more to get the full version of Hulu and then carry $30 a month just for those 2 channels.

28. Jacqueline Horvath says:

Why would Netflix Cancel this show ??!!! It’s making me want to cancel NETFLIX !! The Best show they have had!! I hope Hulu picks it up !! Wow

29. Chris Manning says:

I’m perplexed. I normally have to wade through a morass of bad Netflix TV shows in hopes of finding one as good as Bloodline. The only reason I still subscribe is because, once in a blue moon, they produce an original, well-made, well-acted show that’s actually worth binge-watching. Bloodline was the next best thing to Breaking Bad and now Netflix is canceling it?! Who makes these ridiculous decisions?

30. Gail stefy says:

I am so sorry to see this show is being cancelled. I have been waiting for season 3 so I decided to check, only see that it has been cancelled…dang!

31. julie l finnegan says:

Best series TV show we have ever seen!! It is a shame to cancel a show so well acted, thoughtful, and interesting. It always keeps you guessing! Please do not cancel!!!! We love this show!!

32. C. Angelucci says:

I hope someone else picks up this show because it’s the best I’ve seen in a long time. Netflix is stupid to give it up. Just binge-watched the first 2 seasons and can’t wait for season 3.

33. Joan says:

PLEASE do not cancel this show. I swear I just watch the entire two season in five days.Yes Kyle Chandler is sexy. All the show actors are awesome, however I must share this mischievous grin. The actor Norbert Butz (Kevin on the show) gets on my last nerves. But he keeps the show going with his mess…LOL…

34. Tracy Lawyer says:

Out of all the shows Netflix has that are not worth watching, you finally get a great show and decide to cancel! Who makesthe decsions anyways? Makes no sense to me. Pathetic

35. Cathy Hedrick says:

I love Bloodline. I just looked up date for Season 3 release & sadly see it has been cancelled after 3rd season. I hope someone picks it up to continue filming. So many wonderful stars on the show. I love them all. I always follow Kyle Chandler in anything & Sissy Spacek & I love Ben Mendelson.

36. Laurie Couillard says:

Bets series on TV – I actually signed up for Netflix just to watch it and hope for others just as good. Am disappointed to hear it’s cancelled – would love to know when the final episodes will air.

37. Kelley Carpenter says:

This is the best series in my opinion Netflix has aired. It’s sexy,exciting as well as suspensful. I go from watching one episode anticipating the next. I even reward waiting for the next season. I think netflix is making a huge mistake by not carrying season four. Take advantage of this to snatched it up one of you other networks you won’t be sorry.

38. Gail Mees says:

Please keep making more seasons of Bloodline. I love Kyle Chandler he is an awesome actor with his own expressions and voice. I can relate to the Keys, Marathon, Islamorada, and I lived in Florida City, Florida with a husband who was a cop in Florida City. Character, John plays like it is. All the cast except Meg is
    perfect. I’m 77 years old and could write you a book!!! Thanks, Gail Mees 251-253-3039.

39. Gail Mees says:

I watched Bloodlines 1 & 2 and loved it. I was married to Sgt. Mees of Florida PD quintile

40. Vickie says:

This is one of my favorite shows. Please Netflix, don’t cancel this show.

41. Julie Hoffman says:

Please don’t cancel! I want to see more and everyone else does too!

42. Jeannine Theakos says:

OMG love this show, I think the most touching part was when John is getting Danny to boat and drops him he holds his head and is crying. He’s so sad this is his brother he lives him, what he did was a build up of what Danny has done, but he still loves him, anyone with several brothers and sisters can relate to, you love them but at times you could kill them, love it !!!!!

43. Nancy says:

Don’t cancel this show. I enjoy it too much. Have rewatched S1 and S2 twice! Need my fix! Figure out a way Netflix!

44. annie says:

this is the best series on TV.. something my husband sat down to watch with me! & he’s not easy to please! but seriously please continue this series!

45. Jeanie Mc says:

I agree. It is seductive and real. (Really sweaty most of the time!). I need my fix of Kyle Chandler on a weekly basis!

46. Todd says:

If Florida doesn’t give a tax credit I’ll bet the Bahamas might. Move the whole show to Nassau. Work a new hotel into the plot line. C’mon Netflix how hard can this be?

47. Andy says:

Cmon Netflix! This show is too good to cancel after season three. Look how many people love it!

48. Audra says:

We love this series! Don’t cancel after season 3!

49. Patti McCreary says:

Please do not cancel this show. We absolutely love it and it is one of the best shows currently airing as well as in recent past. It is intriguing, thought provoking and intelligent. That is a rare combination these days. We are looking forward to season 3 and sincerely hoping the series will be continued.

50. Margaret says:

This show is by far the best series out there. Please find a way to continue it past season 3. Please!!!

• Jade says:

This show is one of the best. It’s brilliantly written, not predictable, filled with excitement and drama and the scenery is spectacular. The Actors are amazing, please leave leave the firewrks on.