‘The Big Bang Theory’ Valentine’s Day Episode Drops a Big Bombshell (SPOILERS)

Big Bang Theory: Bernadette Pregnant in
Monty Brinton/CBS

Spoiler alert: Do not read until you’ve watched Thursday’s episode of “The Big Bang Theory,” titled “The Valentino Submergence.”

It’s Valentine’s Day, and the gang is ready to ring in the holiday in style — but their celebrations don’t go exactly according to plan.

Leonard (Johnny Galecki) and Penny (Kaley Cuoco) have a romantic dinner planned at a restaurant, but the maitre d informs them they have to wait an hour for their table. He resists their attempts at bribery and flirtation, even calling her — gasp — “ma’am.” They’re desperate to prove they’re still young and fun.

Bernadette (Melissa Rauch) and Howard (Simon Helberg) hope to break in their new hot tub, but discover what they think is a rat flopping around. It turns out to be a rabbit, which they start trying to care for.

Raj (Kunal Nayyar) decides to break up with Emily so he can ask out his new bookstore crush Claire — who just got back together with her boyfriend.

Sheldon (Jim Parsons) and Amy Farrah Fowler (Mayim Bialik) stage a live edition of “Fun with Flags” — but their show gets interrupted by a heartbroken Raj (“What’s wrong with me? Why am I so self-destructive?”), not to mention Kripke.

But the biggest Valentine’s surprise came from the Wolowitzes. Howard’s efforts at tending to the rabbit earn him a bite on the finger — sending him into a rabies-fear spiral, and off to the emergency room.

“We’ll find another time to tell him I’m pregnant,” Bernadette confesses to the rabbit.

Gasp!

Rauch’s co-star Kaley Cuoco recently told Variety that Bernadette’s pregnancy is certain to create plenty of interesting hurdles for the Wolowitzes — and the group as a whole. “Her with the baby and everything, I’m sure that’ll come up with some hilarious storylines and some really funny stuff for them,” she said. “So that’ll just throw another, again, funny storyline for everyone to play with. It’s going to be really fun.”

What did you think of this week’s reveal? Sound off below!

1. cadavra says:

I hope Emily isn’t gone for good. That whole is-she-or-isn’t-she-a-serial-killer? thing hasn’t come close to playing itself out, plus Laura Spencer is adorable.

2. propecia says:

a rote, boring, useless recap that exists only to spoil plot points. this article is as worthless as the intern who wrote it. even cleverbot is more useful.

3. Amy says:

I thought this was the funniest episode of the season, I was laughing out loud in many places. I’m glad they got rid of Emily – she didn’t fit with Raj. I loved the ending with Penny & Leonard running around in Valentine’s underwear. :)

4. You post a spoiler alert at the top of the article but spoil it in the url? What gives Variety?

5. robinhelene says:

I was under the impression that the show’s producers had nixed any of the couples having kids, so this was a delightful surprise for me. Part of growing up and maturing, which I consider major themes of BBT, is starting a family after marriage. I’m looking forward to Howard and Bernadette dealing with the rigors of pregnancy and a newborn. Their “Big Bang” has produced fruit, and that’s normal and right, IMHO. Love, Robin

• BBT Fan Since 2007 says:

“Normal and right” and horribly predictable in a middle class hetero-normative way. Once Sheldon and Amy get married, it’s game over for this once-awesome show. The marriage between Penny and Leonard is a total drag…the writers don’t know what to do with them now. Can’t Raj finally come out as gay or something to keep the show amusing?

• PR Ferg says:

Ridiculous. My husband and I are wonderfully fulfilled and trippingly happy–and we’re mature and all grown up. Own a 30-year old business, I’m in administration at a private college, we take care of our house, have lots of friends, we’re college grads. NO KIDS. I agree with previous–“middle class hetero-normative way”. I loved this show and it’s over for me now.

6. Marshall says:

TV shows always bring in the pregnancy / baby story when a series is getting old in a desperate attempt to keep a show going. It never works. Quite the opposite happens. As soon as the dumb dirty diaper jokes start I’m finished with this show. Which by the way has gone straight down hill ever since the incredibly boring, wooden character of Amy Farrah Fallor was introduced.

• Charlie says:

The current BS is so past jumping the shark it ain’t even on the scale. The whole mess has finally given me a reason to find another use for the half-hour that I was obviously wasting. I mean, most high school grads could write the next couple years’ worth of episodes and be spot on for what the future holds for this bunch.

7. Minh Mai says:

Dear Variety, you really should work with the URL-Link above because it’s obviously a hugh spoiler

8. David says:

What the heck Variety, I search Big Bang Theory on the internet and Google shows me your article with a header of “Bernadette pregnant in Big Bang Theory”. Not cool