‘Arrow’ Boss Talks Felicity’s Fate and Damien Darhk’s Very Personal Agenda

arrow felicity alive dead
Courtesy of The CW

Spoiler warning: Do not read on unless you’ve seen the midseason premiere of The CW’s “Arrow,” titled “Blood Debts.”

We still may not know who’s in the grave that was teased in “Arrow’s” Season 4 premiere, but after the flashforward we saw in the Jan. 27 midseason return, at least we know who’s not: Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards), who survived a shootout with Damien Darhk’s (Neal McDonough) Ghosts, but may never walk again as a result of her injuries. Still, that bombshell didn’t stop Oliver (Stephen Amell) from reaffirming his commitment to his new fiancee, giving her back the engagement ring that the nurses dared to take off while she was in surgery in a heartfelt hospital scene. (A ring that later seemed conspicuously absent from Felicity’s finger in the episode’s final flashforward.)

The show easily could’ve kept viewers in the dark (no pun intended) about Felicity’s ultimate fate, but executive producer Wendy Mericle told Variety, “we wanted to put some questions to bed and raise the stakes about who it could be. We now know for sure that it’s not her, but that just shifts the focus to a whole host of other characters. We’re lucky to have a big ensemble and it’s still a big question mark, so we got a chance to have our cake and eat it too, and we took it.”

The recently released midseason sizzle reel offered up a few potential alternatives for the identity of the casualty, including Oliver’s sister Thea (Willa Holland) and Diggle’s wife Lyla (Audrey Marie Anderson), and although Mericle told Varietythat we’ll have to wait until “the last few episodes of the season” to know for sure, she believes that the ongoing mystery will be “organic to the story,” teasing of the possible victims, “Thea is dealing with this bloodlust which has not gone away, and with the Lazarus Pit, there’s no way it can’t be serious.”

Said teaser also gave a glimpse of Felicity back in her gothic hacker gear from her life before Oliver, and Mericle offered one hint about how this previous iteration of Felicity might make an appearance: “In the wake of this injury, she’s going through a little bit of a dark time of her own; she’s questioning some of her earlier decisions and when she encounters that version of her old self, it’s going to be in a very emotional and grounded context about how she got where she got to with the team and working at Queen Consolidated and, like anybody would after going through a tragic event like that, really looking back at her life choices and doing some hard thinking and reevaluating.”

Arrow -- "The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak" -- Image AR305a_0359b -- Pictured: Emily Bett Rickards as Felicity Smoak -- Photo: Cate Cameron/The CW -- © 2014 The CW Network, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

“Blood Debts” also introduced Damien Darhk’s wife, who was revealed to be in on her husband’s plan to bring “this world to its end” through a plan ominously called Genesis. “We really wanted this season to have a Big Bad that we see from the beginning, and really explore his world. Bringing in this character, his wife, was part of that plan,” Mericle said. “We always knew we wanted to see Damien’s family, and having her be an equally evil part of this plan and have her own drive and her own agenda just felt really cool and dynamic and interesting and something we hadn’t seen on the show before.”

Before we get to the death and potential destruction of this season’s final episodes, we can also expect the return of Colton Haynes’ Roy Harper, who left town after pretending to be the Arrow in order to protect Oliver’s identity.

“The real impetus is that we wanted to see where he’s landed, what has happened to him,” Mericle said. “And when we find him, just like Oliver in 410, we find him slipping back into some old habits, but with some surprising reasons for why he’s doing what he’s doing.”

Comic book fans can also look forward to more of Echo Kellum’s Curtis Holt (aka the future Mr. Terrific) in the back half of the season, per Mericle: “We saw him in action in 406 and I can tell you we’ll probably get a little bit more of that sometime in the next seven episodes or so,” she teased.

“Arrow” airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. on The CW.

Who do you think is in the grave? Weigh in with your theories below.

1. Tami says:

We keep thinking the “him” that has to be killed is Darhk… Totally possible it’s someone else- even someone that has had our trust all this time… Or the ever-ominous Malcolm Merlyn/Ra’s. I’m intrigued to find out what makes Oliver finally “know it’s not [his] fault”, as he says at the grave. I’m with you Stephanie- waaayyyy too into this show LOL :)

2. Stephanie says:

I kind of think it might be when they introduce “The Calculator” character who could possibly end up being Felicity’s dad…just throwing that out there…or Lance..but I hope not.😁

• Stephanie says:

Ah I take that back about it being her dad, I don’t see why Oliver would cry unless it was Lance or maybe Roy…I get way too into this show haha!

3. DTO says:

here are my suspects for the mystery grave:
    1. oliver’s son & the kid’s mother. the loss of a child would definitely drive any father towards vengeance, as well as those around him. odds: 3-1.
    2. Helena Bertinelli/Huntress. they had a pretty torrid affair with her. so much so that he mentored her in his ways. her death could make his desire revenge. odds: 25-1.
    3. Roy Harper/Arsenal. he was his 1st official sidekick. he, diggle & oliver were like brothers. his death would be more than enough motivation for them to avenge him. odds: 50-1.

4. Fatz says:

The grave they show at the beginning has Brie Thorne written on it, don’t the Thornes hail from central city? So this would mean the cemetery is in central city. Whoever it is, and I’m guessing it’s Oliver’s son or his sons mum, is from central city. As for felicity being upset, a lot of things can be revealed and happen in 4 months…

• Tami says:

Good point! I wouldn’t think the Arrow writers would be so cold as to kill off Oliver’s son but the mom… That would make for an interesting story arch for Oliver as he would then have to step up to be a single dad. Oh yeah, and the Green Arrow too… And Mayor… Sure hope he has Felicity by his side to help him out.

5. Paul says:

I think it’s felicitys mum , felicity looked so upset that I can’t see it being Thea or laurel . I think felicitys mum is with detective lance on a date or something and then she gets killed when darhk goes after lance .

6. Tami says:

I think Lance is in the grave for giving up info on Darhk. I just hope the reason that Felicity isn’t wearing her ring anymore isn’t because Oliver falls back into bed with Laurel whilst she’s mourning! I love the prospect of Felicity becoming Oracle but whether or not that happens please don’t tamper with our Olicity. I ship them so hard.

7. Logan says:

I think thea is in the grave or diggle….or Laurel I have no idea I wanna know now ….maybe its Laurels dad or Felicity’s mom

8. H. says:

I Love This Show!!! :D

9. Eat My says:

thanks for the spoiler warning shitfucks

10. I.think.that.the.grave.oliver visits.is.someone.close.to.him.and.the.flash.but.writers.need.to.bum.it.up

11. Joseph says:

Everyone seems to forget that Barry (Flash) was visiting Oliver at the grave so it has to be someone they are both close to.

12. Toni-ann says:

My top 3 are Lance, Mama Smoak, and Roy. It would be so Arrow to bring Roy back to kill him (remember Sara?). Diggle would probably be my only other thought, because it certainly would have a huge impact on the show, but I will be PISSED if it’s him, because it’s Diggle!! Now we know it’s not Felicity and I personally never thought it would be, and can it be Thea? Maybe, but isn’t the show done killing off Queens?

13. briguyx says:

While it would probably be too tragic, everyone’s forgetting that Oliver has a son!

14. Andrew Holm says:

It could be felicity’s mother. It wouldn’t be diggle because he is an integral part part of the character that oliver has become. Darkh threatened to go after his family so provided that he finds out the arrows true identity I think thea or felicity’s mother are the two highly viable options. Killing off diggle, felicity, and captain lance would impact the show greater in a negative fashion. Hence why I think its thea or felicities mum. Her mother more so.

15. Terin Mahsout says:

Thea? Hmm, big maybe. There’s a heap of speculation about her ‘bloodlust’ taking more control over her, so she’s Candidate #1 on my list.
    Diggle and his family? John has got his brother Andy to thank for his ties to Darkh. What if Diggle releases Andy from the cage at some point and he kills The Diggles? Thing is, its a bit difficult for John Diggle to be dead and also in the first ep. of LOT, so we can rule that out.
    Laurel? Nah. With Katie Cassidy also being in the first ep. of LOT as Black Canary, we can pretty much count her as alive too.
    Cpt. Lance and Felicity’s mother? Have to ask if they’re the kind of targets Darkh would go after, but as much as their deaths would still impact on Oliver, I still have $10 on Thea, even though Willa Holland is listed in the Arrow cast until the final ep. of this season…

16. Apres Ski says:

Still in love with this show & it’s characters!

17. Jane says:

YES! Felicity Smoak lives! So thrilled with that and the ending of the episode was intriguing. Love Oliver and Felicity together and tonight just proved to me again how well the two play off each other and bring out, especially for Oliver, in terms of character. I just like Oliver better when Felicity’s around. Enjoyed seeing Oliver get to venture off on his own as Green Arrow again and definitely liked seeing Oliver/Diggle together as well as see the show remember Diggle and Felicity are friends.