CBS Pulls ‘Angel From Hell’ From Thursday Lineup, Moves ‘2 Broke Girls’ as Replacement

Angel From Hell Cancelled? CBS Pulls

CBS has pulled freshman comedy “Angel From Hell” out of its 9:30 p.m. Thursday timeslot, to be replaced by “2 Broke Girls” beginning Feb. 18. This week, a rerun of “The Big Bang Theory” will air instead of “Angel From Hell” on Feb. 11.

Sources say there are no immediate plans to find “Angel From Hell” an alternative berth on CBS’ schedule, leaving the Jane Lynch series effectively cancelled after airing five episodes.

“2 Broke Girls” has been leading off CBS’ Wednesday night block since returning from its winter hiatus on January 6, but the comedy, which stars Kat Dennings and Beth Behrs, was previously part of the Eye’s Thursday night lineup before midseason.

“Angel From Hell” has been steady but unspectacular for CBS following “Mom” on Thursday nights. It’s averaging a 1.9 rating in adults 18-49 and 9 million viewers overall in Nielsen’s “live plus-3” estimates. The show failed to spark with critics, with Variety’s Mo Ryan observing, “‘Angel from Hell’ does a remarkable thing: It makes the viewer want to avoid spending time with Jane Lynch and Maggie Lawson, both of whom are very appealing and talented performers. Lynch’s character, Amy, who describes herself as a guardian angel, tries repeatedly to insert herself into the humdrum life of Allison (Lawson), and there’s a similar dynamic at work in this grating show, which aims at whimsy and misses the target.”

1. mike says:

Well that sucks. “Angel from..” was one of the better programs with wholesome value.

2. susan kershner says:

I can’t believe this! I’m sorry to hear this, how sad.

There are so few genuinely funny sitcoms these days. 1.9 rating, 9 million live was too few people?
    I’m so sick of hearing about who’s having sex with whom. What happened that made CBS forget (they’re greedy that’s what) there are people who really enjoy this genre of comedy? And Jane Lynch and Maggie Lawson! Their dynamic was perfect and the story line is genuinely likable and sweet.
    Oh well, chalk it up to money grubbing business to get in the way of making shows that only appeal to the too small minority of people who don’t want to wallow in the mud.
    ***grumbles***

• Paul says:

I could not agree with you more. I would like to see another network realize CBS’s error and get the show for themselves.

3. Matt Rowland says:

AHHHHHHHHHH that’s too bad! This show is amazing. I was using it to try to figure out what’s wrong with my life. lol BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. REYNOLD ELLIS says:

Maybe it’s me, but “Angel From Hell” is the first CBS night time show I’ve actually tried to catch since “Two And A Half Men (Charlie Sheen)”. Beyond that there was “X Files” and “Miami Vice”. Now that “Angel” has been pulled, I guess it’s back to cable. There’s always “Ice Road Truckers” and “Axe Men”.

5. maria keckan says:

My husband and I loved angel from hell it was much wittier and more clever than Two Broke Girls. Really disappointed that it’s gone.

6. Pm Hogan says:

Angel from Hell had a cleverly written script that was creatively interpreted by the actors, a real joy to watch, unlike the dumbed up and boring replacement…programmers cannot plan a chook raffle…

7. Jamie Virginiak says:

How does 2 Broke Girls stay on and Angel from Hell gets pulled? Everyone I know can’t stand that show. The acting is so poor I can’t believe its still on. CBS pulls Angel from Hell ? Really CBS ? WTF ?

8. X parker says:

How can a series like two broke girls stay on the air but a hilarious show with a great cast like angel from hell be cancelled .makes no sense.

9. Bonnie Shinn says:

Why are all the good, great and funny shows canceled? Angel from Hell made me LOL. Who cares what the critics think, we make or break shows, and this was a funny one. I need a show that can make me laugh after a hard days work.

10. Krisi says:

Seems pretty amazing to me, as a faithful viewer & adoring fan of “Angel from Hell,” that every site online addressing this cancellation has TONS of very verbal & responsive fans expressing their disbelief that this wonderful show was cancelled–shouldn’t that tell somebody SOMETHING IMPORTANT?!??!

11. Diana Siegel says:

We are so disappointed that this show is not continuing. We watch very few comedies, but found “Angel from Hell” very funny and unique. Jane Lynch is a joy to watch. Please bring it back, and return some genuine talented comedy to TV.

12. Gina Marcell says:

What a dumb move! Jane Lynch is comic gold – everything she does is funny – and everyone loves her! The supporting stars were also very good. I am so bummed this show is cancelled. Please bring back or sell to Netflix so we can continue watching!!

13. Was really disappointed when Angel From Hell didn’t air last week. I and several of my friends loved it. I do not watch Two Broke Girls and If I had children or teenagers in the house, I wouldn’t let them watch it. I think it’s junk.! Bring back Angel From Hell!!!

14. Marilyn white says:

Such a refreshing show. Can’t believe two broke girls is still on and this entertaining show was pulled. Hope someone will pick this up.

15. Christine Halsey says:

I cannot believe this show was pulled after only five episodes. I got such a hoot out of Jane Lynch and the rest of the cast. I would wait patiently for each week so I can watch this half hour show. After reading the other comments I do not believe I am alone in thinking this. Please bring it back!

16. Robin says:

Seriously, after trying to figure out what CBS had done with this show only to find they canceled the show! This was a good comedy. I loved the comedy. DON’T like Life in Pieces! So over 2 Broke Girls.

It was my go to on Thursday night for fun.

17. Mary Anne says:

Loved Angel from Hell. Husband and I are very disappointed.

18. Tania Nicholson says:

Please bring it back I love this show it was so much fun to watch and very refreshing

19. TONY D. says:

Bring Angel from Hell back! Finally a show that is smart, funny, and doesn’t bash white American male…or shove alternate lifestyles down our throats. Give us this happy wholesome comedy back.

20. Jennifer says:

I love this show! It’s cleverly done

21. Dustin says:

This was one of the better shows on in my opinion. I watch TBBT every week and AFH was just as good. Please bring AFH back.

22. susan says:

Angel from Hell was a good show! Better than 2 Broke Girls and as good as Mom…I think it gets lost at 9:30…as many viewers are watching a 9-10 pm show on another channel….Maggie and Jane are so good!!!!!!!

23. Dennis says:

Who are the People that are deciding the fate of this Great Show? Not all the people gets to watch them because by the time the find a new show is already being Cancel. Who ever is doing this is an Unhappy person. We need comedies like this because, We Need To Laugh!!!!!!!

24. Susan says:

Angel from Hell was the funniest show on. Why pull it? Two broke girls is pure trash.

• Geneva says:

Man…. WE LOVED THIS SHOW!!! THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I NEVER WANNA TRY NEW SHOWS!!!! & Alot of other shows lose fans CUZ IT’S 8-9 MONTHS BETWEEN SEASONS?!!! I’M 9 MONTHS IT’S EASY TO LOSE SOME INTEREST UNLESS U’VE ALREADY BEEN WATCHIN FOR YEARS!!!

25. elizabeth lopez says:

We really liked Angel from Hell, very disappointed that it was pulled. My Husband and I had lots of laughs. We are an elderly couple and we enjoyed the laughs Sad for US

26. pat says:

What a stupid move to cancel Angel from Hell . It was funny refreshing and Jane Lynch and cast were great!! What are we getting another stupid reality show?? You really should bring this show back

• Joanne says:

To quote another CBS show “bad move”! After “How I met your mother” this could have been the next great comedy on the network, but it didn’t have the son of Tom Hanks as one of the stars or big boobs and vulgar diner jokes. Give your viewers a little respect and please air all the episodes.

27. Jerl says:

Sad to see the show go…it was really clever — much better than the stupid Two Broke Girls

28. christy says:

Im so bummed I really love that show please bring it back

29. Tammy says:

Have really enjoyed this show. WAY better than the New Life in Pieces. Should have cancelled that instead.

30. Mike says:

I actually was liking this show. Oh well I am used to shows never making it. The one show I am still upset about getting canceled is Forever.

31. Madison C. says:

My whole family waited all week for this one half hour show, and it breaks our hearts that you cancelled it!

32. Scott poed says:

My wife and I loved the show .CBS you do not have a clue what people find funny. Life in pieces is a horrible sitcom yet still on TV now that is pitiful.😬😬😬

33. Randall Bies says:

I must of watched every episode. I found Jane Lynch funny . Would of watched future shows. But once again, TV that the public watch gets dumped and shows that should be canned survive. Who decides & who ever they are . You Suck!

34. I wanted to like AFH but a few things just bugged me. That idiot vest for one. No guardian angel proofs, and this attitude of “See it went just the way it was supposed to”. The characters attitude was just too lackadaisical.
    Revamp it a bit and try again. I really like Jane but this was not well written for her.

35. Cindy says:

not fair…this was a funny, crazy look at life…loved it…should have had more time before it got cancelled.

36. Joyce crisell says:

That is horrible. My husband and I enjoyed it. It was funny and made one feel good. What’s wrong with this world?

37. varietyvals says:

My entire household LOVED Angel from Hell! What was CBS thinking?

We like 2 Broke Girls also but really, the reason’s they give for cancelling Angel from Hell when most of 2 Broke Girls dialogue is about “hitting it” and boobs and sex between unmarried chefs and curvy upstairs neighbors….. Seriously if anything is going to make teens and college kids think about sex more, it’s gotta be 2 Broke Girls.

Angel from Hell was AWESOME!
    PS. I am 57 yr old lady… FYI

38. Macy says:

I’m sorry, but I would say 15 out of 30 have heard of the program! Out of the 15 there were 13 that absolutely loved the show. The other 15 I spoke to about it was very interested in watching it and giving it a shot! These are people from different walks of life, different age groups, and different geographical locations. I get so confused when interties like the Nielson’s rate shows. It’s almost like the polls for the republican candidates! Well I for one liked it and really believe they got it wrong. Now I guess those people I spoke to this week will be disappointed as well!

39. Justine Whitman says:

I’m sorry to see this show gone…other than NCIS, it’s the only reason I EVER watched CBS in the last 10 years or so. I agree with others in that TV shows in general aren’t nearly as good as they were in the 70s and 80s. Everything now is sexual, dark and plain stupid. These reality shows make me want to throw up!! There is nothing funny on TV anymore. I’m using Netflix and DVDs when I want to watch shows now. BTW, I hope Netflix picks up Angel from Hell, please!!! No wonder people are so angry all the time – look at what we are watching on our TVs! We need light hearted shows that make us laugh and feel good….not more of what we face all day at work.

40. Task says:

This a shame. I loved this show.

41. Mimi Gray says:

It’s kind of crazy to only give a show 5 episodes to click with viewers, but that said I did have a problem warming up to it. I adore Jane Lynch, and the rest of the cast seemed very good, but the whole “is she an angel or is she a crackpot” was just tiring…

If she had just been an unconventional ‘angel’ the quirky premise would have probably worked better

42. Caren says:

My husband and I loved this show. So sorry.

43. Jim Francis says:

It was a refreshing and very funny show. Whoever wrote this article has no sense of humor. Two Broke Girls is also a very funny and refreshing show that delightfully pushes the limits. There is room for both.

44. Barbara says:

I really enjoyed this show. I can’t believe 2 Broke Girls is still on and this got cancelled! 2 Broke Girls is NOT funny

45. Elaine says:

I am so sorry to hear this news. The story line was just starting to develop. The acting was great. I hope CBS reconsiders this decision. Only 5 shows? That seems really unfair.

46. Kyle says:

I hope Netflix buys the show

47. Bill B. says:

I never had the chance to even watch it, but then there are so very many TV series from so very many sources, I don’t see most of them. This one did sound promising, but I guess not. I’ve tried to get into Superstore as I like Ferrera, but it’s just too formulaic and unoriginal, however, You, Me & the Apocalypse is certainly original and one to take a look at.

48. FilmFan says:

What? It’s one of the few shows that’s funnier on a second viewing. It’s one of the few shows where you hear people repeating the jokes. We missed the premiere, then we watched it on demand and DVR’d new episodes every week. It’s smart and original. CBS should give it a full season to find its audience.

49. Ken says:

I was kind of liking Angel from Hell. Here’s the problem. So many sitcoms are based on skit. Funny for a while but no character development. Loved 2 Broke Girls at first, but now it’s just one long dirty joke that keeps repeating. Love the actors but each and every one’s character needs to grow and become more interesting. Extremely short skirts and amazing cleavage are not enought

50. Considering the fact that CBS has cut down its sitcoms to 18 minutes there is clearly some boneheads running things over there. Angel was funny and different.