Tim Curry Returning for Fox’s ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’ Special, Adam Lambert Joins Cast

Adam Lambert Tim Curry Rocky Horror
MediaPunch/REX/Shutterstock/ 20th Century Fox

Tim Curry is returning to “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” for Fox’s special. The original cast member will be the criminologist narrator in the television revival. “American Idol” alum Adam Lambert has also joined the cast.

The original Frank-N-Furter, Curry starred as the character in the 1973 London stage production of “The Rocky Horror Show” and then the Lou Adler-produced film “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” which premiered September 26, 1975.

“I am very happy and excited to be a part of this new event,” said Curry.

Curry and Lambert joins cast members Laverne Cox, who will play Dr. Frank-N-Further, the sexually ambiguous flirtatious alien mad scientist first made famous by Curry; Victoria Justice as Janet; Ryan McCartan as Brad; Reeve Carney as Riff Raff; and Staz Nair in the title role.

“Rocky Horror” follows sweethearts Janet (Justice) and Brad (McCartan) who stumble upon Frank-N-Furter’s (Cox) bizarre abode. With the help of his faithful servants Riff Raff (Carney) and Magenta (yet to be cast), Frank-N-Furter, is holding an annual Transylvanian science convention to showcase the birth of “Rocky Horror” (Nair), a fit, attractive man created solely to fulfill Frank’s desires.

Lambert will play Eddie, who is described as the rock-n-roll loving ex-delivery boy who emerges at Dr. Frank-N-Further’s on a motorcycle and crashes the party.

“I grew up watching ‘Rocky Horror,’ but could never imagine that I would be part of this new vision,” said Lambert. “‘Rocky Horror’ always made me feel like it was OK to celebrate my weirdness. Hallelujah, bless my soul! I love that old time rock-n-roll!”

An “American Idol” alum, Lambert’s casting  keeps him in the Fox family. The singer/actor also appeared in Fox’s “Glee.”

Known for his eccentric, goth appearance and impressive pipes, Lambert competed in the eighth season of “Idol.” Though he didn’t win, he has gone onto a successful career as a musician with three studio albums and hits, including his recent single “Ghost Town.” Since 2011, the pop/electric rocker has been collaborating with Queen as lead vocalist.

A reimagining of the cult classic, which still plays in theaters, after its recent 40 year anniversary, Fox’s “Rocky Horror” special hails from Fox 21 Television Studios and Gail Berman’s Jackal Group. Lou Adler and Gail Berman will serve as exec producers with Kenny Ortega who will also direct and choreograph.

The two-hour “Rocky Horror” special airs this fall on Fox.

1. ADAM aka Eddie!! is the only reason I’ll be watching this show on FOX!! I’ve never seen the original so I won’t know what it was & I can watch without comparing!! ADAM will KILL it … he’s a born entertainer!! Can’t wait!! LAMBERT Outlaw

2. Marybeth says:

you can’t redo a classic . No one can redo this and be half as good this is ruining a classic some things sould never be redone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. cristoph00 says:

Adam Lambert is a gifted performer. I stopped watching idol years ago as what does Simon Cowell know? A lot -maybe – but he often misses the obvious.

4. Sue says:

Adam Lambert performed “Born to Be Wild” on American Idol. Simon said that the downside of Adam’s performance was that it was like the “Rocky Horror Picture Show.” Adam’s response to Simon was, “I love that movie!” This is another full circle moment for Adam. It seems like things that happened on Idol come to fruition for Adam after the fact. He will be fantastic and I think it will be a performance remembered for decades. That is how great Adam is.

5. Adam will KILL it as Eddie, he excels at anything he does, cannot WAIT to see this!! ADAM!!!!

6. mema says:

See somebody was listening, Adam Lambert will be acting and singing on TV once again since his Glee and Pretty Little Liar roles. .Can’t wait to see him this fall in this role. I am glad that Kenny Ortega is involved. See some people in the business do know talent when they see or hear it. Congrats Adam you’ll do just fine.

7. Richard O’Brien will be stoked at Adam being Eddie. Meatloaf is the only one who could sing the original Eddie, now it’s Adam’s turn.

8. outonpluto says:

Great news – really looking forward to this (loved the original, too)

9. Looking forward to this special! Adam Lambert IS Halloween!!!!

10. Sara Hane says:

Gawd, they shouldn’t be even making this, it’s going to smell of suck!

11. me says:

This is incredible news!! ADAM LAMBERT will kill it!

12. Best news I’ve heard in years. So excited to see this Fox special in fall. Love Adam Lambert and I’m sure he’ll be excellent in role of Eddie. What’s ironic is that Meat Loaf played original role and whenever he could on TV shows he’d rave about Adam’s voice as up there with Aretha Franklin and Whitney Houston relating to “overdrive” a term referring to vocal gymnastics

13. LM says:

I was devastated when I heard he turned down the role of Frank-N-Furter, but I am happy that he will be part of the production in some way. The role of Eddie is actually a perfect cameo for him.

• kelly says:

As much as I think he would KILL in the Frankenfurter roll, I don’t think it’s right for him now. Eddie is much more in line with where he is now in his career. I’m so excited!

• funbunn40 says:

I agree that the role of Eddie is a better choice for Adam right now, even tho’ he could play the role of Dr. Frankenfurter with his eyes closed, perfectly. Playing Eddie will show Adam’s ability to play a sexy, drop dead handsome, masculine rocker, which is also a part of him. The US still tends to label actors as being one dimensional and Adam definitely doesn’t fit that label. He’s incredibly diverse, able to play any part with great conviction & ability. I hope this role will bring him many more acting roles & this opportunity will showcase his iconic talent. He’s had much experience in the theatre & I also love that part of him. Can’t wait to watch! Fantastic, brilliant choice to cast him!

• I didn’t know he was offered role of Frank-N-Furter. I trust his judgment.