’24: Legacy’: Jimmy Smits Joins Fox Revival Pilot

24 legacy jimmy smits
Broadimage/REX Shutterstock

Fox’s “24: Legacy” pilot has cast “Sons of Anarchy” alum Jimmy Smits in a lead role, Variety has learned.

Smits will play John Donovan, a powerful U.S. Senator with higher political aspirations, who is married to Rebecca (Miranda Otto), the blazing smart former head of CTU. Smits and Otto will star alongside “Straight Outta Compton’s” Corey Hawkins, who plays military hero Eric Carter, who returns to the U.S. and finds that trouble has followed him back — compelling him to ask CTU for help in saving his life, and stopping what potentially could be one of the largest-scale terror attacks on American soil.

“The Flash” and “Masters of Sex” star Teddy Sears was recently cast as Keith Mullins, Rebecca’s ambitious former second-in-command who has now replaced her as head of CTU.

Kiefer Sutherland’s “24” hero Jack Bauer will not be a part of the revival if it’s picked up to series; the actor is attached to ABC’s political thriller “Designated Survivor,” which landed a straight-to-series order in December.

“24: Legacy” hails from 20th Century Fox Television. Howard Gordon, Manny Coto, Evan Katz and Brian Grazer will serve as executive producers on the pilot, which will be directed by “24” veteran Stephen Hopkins.

Smits can next be seen in Baz Luhrman’s new Netflix series “The Get Down.” He’s repped by UTA, Brillstein Entertainment Partners and Tom Hoberman.

1. Marna Conley says:

I’ve missed seeing Mr Smits. I hope things work out with FOX.

2. Because hatterasman I say so I don’t like Anna diop Corey Hawkins Gray Newman Miranda Otto teddy Sears and Jimmy smits too👎👎👎👎👎I want keifer Sutherland back NOW I don’t care just do it please deal good

• hatterasman says:

William Hickey, why is is so difficult for you to comprehend the fact that Kiefer Sutherland has absolutely no desire whatsoever to play Jack Bauer again? He has stated that fact publicly. He is done with the character. What is so “unbelievable” about Jimmy Smits taking the 24 franchise in a different direction? You sound like a little five-year-old throwing a tantrum because you cannot get your way. Kiefer Sutherland has moved on, and he isn’t coming back to 24. Get over it. Nobody is going to force you to watch the new 24 series with Jimmy Smits. Just don’t watch it.

3. I disagree with Jimmy smits unbelievable unbelievable👎👎

• hatterasman says:

William Hickey, what are you disagreeing about? If you don’t like Jimmy Smits, don’t watch the series. It’s that freakin’ simple.

4. hatterasman says:

It amazes me just how shallow-minded some so-called fans of 24 actually are, taking their frustration out on a wonderful actor like Jimmy Smits just because Kiefer Sutherland does not want to play Jack Bauer anymore. Kiefer Sutherland has moved on to other projects. What part of that do you so-called fans not understand? In an interview with the BBC, Sutherland confirmed he will “definitely not return in any way” to the series. In case that didn’t make his stance clear, he added, “24 is definitely over now for me.” His reason is simple and unsurprising: “It’s one of the greatest gifts I’ve ever been given as an actor, but it’s moving on without me. I want to do other things.”

Jeez people… stop living in the past and move on. Blaming the producers of 24 (as well as Jimmy Smits) for Sutherland’s decision to leave is just plain ignorant.

5. Kir Rich says:

Jimmy Smits is an outstanding actor. He is not taking the place of Jack Bauer, neither are any of the other actors. There are always new characters coming into shows that have been on a long time. If you don’t want to watch the new 24 with new actors, then don’t. Why waste your time complaining about it. Vote with your remote, don’t buy the products, etc. Otherwise, you are all like the people who complain about Bishop on NCIS replacing Ziva. She did not replace Ziva, nobody can. She is just another character on the show. If you like the show, watch it, if you don’t, watch something else.

6. Rob says:

No Jack No 24 …WILL NOT WATCH IT -#24BRINGJACKBACK

7. I agree I want keifer Sutherland back NOW on 24 please that all just do it please deal good 👿👿👿

8. I disagree I don’t like Jimmy smits I want keifer Sutherland back NOW on 24 bring Jack Bauer Kim Bauer Tony alameda Chloe O’Brian and gang too NOW just do it please deal

• hatterasman says:

As much as I would like to see Sutherland back as Jack Bauer, the fact is, he doesn’t want to play Jack Bauer anymore. He has stated that fact. The people who are demanding that he return are actually disrespecting Sutherland and his own decision to give up the role. A true fan does not do that.