Kanye West Takes Aim at Grammys in Latest Twitter Rant

Kanye West VMAs
Chelsea Lauren/REX

Kanye West is on yet another Twitter rant.

Twitter tirades have recently become a large part of the rapper’s personal brand. West turned to social media to take on his latest victim: the Grammys.

Included in the deluge of tweets were West’s thoughts regarding the artists rewarded (and not rewarded) by the awards show, the feeling of freedom he experienced when he revealed that he’s $53 million in debt, his pride in being a voice for the people and a casual announcement that a new album is coming this summer.

“I feel the Grammy awarding system is way off and completely out of touch,” he tweeted, adding, “Hi Grammys this is the most important living artist talking.”

He also called the ceremony’s handling of race into question: “You like your black people a certain way also. You wouldn’t have Future perform and that man owned the clubs last summer.”

West took the opportunity to directly call out Neil Portnow, president of the National Academy of Recording Arts &Sciences, and ask to meet with him to “make the Grammys culturally relevant again.”

“You won’t always agree with me but I’m gon always be me. I’m woke!” West concluded.

Update: Portnow made the following statement Wednesday afternoon in response to West’s tweets:

“Kanye West is a creative pioneer who has been recognized and honored by the Recording Academy time and again. We value his input as a member of the creative community, and our doors are always open to him. I continue to welcome Kanye, personally, to engage in a direct and productive dialogue about the future of music and the important role that music creators play in shaping that future.”

1. Hohn D. says:

The one thing Obama got right was calling this jackass a jackass.

2. gon' crazy says:

Ever since he hooked up with those kardashian clan he has gone koko…

3. Tina Smith says:

LMAO Yes Kanye you are crazy. You are all kinds of crazy. Most of all you are a pathetic kind of crazy. Just CRAZY!!!

4. Dakota says:

Seriously, Kanye, the world does NOT need a guy like you, self-involved blowhard who would be totally irrelevant if he wasn’t married to KK and always on cover of some magazine. Kanye is SO yesterday!!!

5. Mister Fire says:

Oh Kanye your so full of yourself, thinking your the best artist ever, then how come you can’t break Adele’s record breaking number of albums sold? How come your $53 million in debt? And why go on a Twitter rant?

6. Me says:

Well, who’s next, Kanye?

I’m sorry, but he’s not gonna, or “gon” give up.

He’ll calm down, apologize, talk to the DJs at Hot 97 New York of what a regular person and father he is, and then, here we go again. And all of this will be on Season 12 of KUWT Kookoos.

Picture this if he was POTUS.

7. BillUSA says:

Kanye West on another rant is like Charlie Sheen on another coke binge – hardly surprising.

What can I say about some chump who marries Kim Kardashian? Insane. Imagine living in and around that nonsense in addition to the artificial friends who have surrounded him since his career took off?

He really is in need of his late Mother and her influence. He seems to have gone off the rails not much unlike Mike Tyson did after his manager Cus D’Amato passed away.

I think in the cases of all three mentioned here is that their “yes” men need to start saying “no” once in a while.

8. Me says:

You won’t always agree with me but I’m gon always be me. I’m woke!

Again, “gonna!” Not “gon,” Kanye Woke.

9. Me says:

The world needs a guy like me. The world needs somebody to not be scared and tell his truth.

Well, we’ll find out when you chicken out from running for POTUS.

10. Me says:

I represent what people can’t say.

That you’re THE greatest. Because they don’t want to say it.

11. Me says:

What is your definition of true freedom? There is no true freedom without economic freedom.

Yes, there is. Not buying your stuff.

12. Me says:

It’s a beautiful time. I love my friends. I love my family. I love people. The human race.

Don’t love the Human Race?

13. Me says:

I’m happy and free and proud and confident. I’m not crazy. I’m free

Free from being held back by public opinion.

All except this public opinion.

14. Me says:

I wrote Saint Pablo after admitting to my greatest shame my personal debt. But I’m not ashamed anymore.

So? You should be ashamed for your tweets.

15. Me says:

No slave mindset no more. I’m free. I’m free. I’m free.

Is he singing a Who song???

16. Me says:

I’m not crazy I’m free.

It’s just too bad his fans have to pay him.

17. Me says:

People ask why I speak in a public forum… Well my voice is my power. Freedom of speech. Freedom of opinion. Freedom of dreams.

Freedom of Stupidity.

18. Me says:

Us real music guys wanna have fun too

Wanna have fun? Go away!

19. Me says:

Neil please reach out as soon as possible so we can make the Grammys culturally relevant again.

Yeah, Neil. And don’t forget to throw in a $1 billion dollar loan.

20. Me says:

All artists have a problem with it and I am going to fix it for us all starting right now.

He’s already attacking Taylor Swift and Bob Ezrin. And don’t forget Beck.

21. J.D. Zack says:

If truth be told, Kanye’s tweet should have said “Hi Grammys this is the most irrelevant living artist talking.” This guy is delusional.

22. Me says:

I don’t want to just fix the awards for me but I want to fix it for Dexter Navy who directed A$AP Rocky’s LSD video.

There U go.

23. Me says:

If I’m not at the show next year then there is no show.

GOOD.

24. Me says:

Oh I’m so sorry. He was talking to his 21 Grammys he was awarded in the past.

25. Me says:

I feel the Grammy awarding system is way off and completely out of touch.

Because you stink.

26. Me says:

I don’t give opinions because they are commonly agreed upon. I say what I feel.

No, “I don’t give opinions because they are commonly NOT agreed upon. I say what I DON’T feel.”

27. Me says:

We need to fix this.

Yes, let’s rig it.

28. Me says:

I know so many cool artists whose hearts have been broken by the politics including mine.

So, run for POTUS, RIGHT NOW!

29. Me says:

I think the Grammys are super important!!!

Good. Make a donation to the Grammy Foundation. Let’s say, $53 million.

30. Me says:

I would like to sit down with Neil Portnow right now

Neil, wear a bullet proof vest.

31. Me says:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! NOW THE GRAMMYS ARE IMPORTANT!!!!!! AFTER INSULTING THEM LAST YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND YOU LOST, THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was nominated for Two Grammys, this year.

I WONDER WHY??????

BEYONCE WAS NOT NOMINATED?????????????????????

BECK WAS NOT NOMINATED????????????????????

TAYLOR SWIFT WAS BETTER THAN KENDRICK LAHMAR?????????????????

Remember folks, he’s running for POTUS in 2020.

More Music News from Variety