Meryl Streep Makes Her Debut as Donald Trump

Meryl Streep
REX/Shutterstock

As if one Donald Trump wasn’t enough, the world got two on Monday night. Three-time Oscar-winning actress Meryl Streep arrived at the annual Shakespeare in the Park Public Theater Gala in New York City’s Central Park donning a long, red tie, fat suit, disheveled hair and orange spray tan.

Streep took the stage with her “Mamma Mia” costar and friend Christine Baranski, who was dressed as Trump opponent Hillary Clinton, and gave a comedic performance from the musical “Kiss Me Kate.”

“You’ll let me know why it is all the women say no,” Streep sang.

“Brush up your Shakespeare and the women you will wow,” Baranski responded. “Just declaim a few lines from ‘Othello,’ and they’ll think you’re a hell of a fella.”

The characters who sing those parts are traditionally male gangsters who advise men about how to woo women by reciting Shakespeare.

The performance came amid news that presidential hopeful Clinton, who Streep has openly supported, had secured enough support to become the Democratic nominee, according to the Associated Press, becoming the first woman to nab a nomination from a major political party.

1. Susan Calloway says:

Trump is an idiot. The fact that half (or less) of this nation doesn’t see that, frightens me. He claims to have an IQ of 156 and a BMI (from his lunatic doctor). But his IQ is likely about 90 and his BMI is most likely 44 or more. How can the any part of the American people be so gullible regarding all his fake statistics. He is known to speak like and have the grammer of a 5th grader. I’m sorry, that just insults 5th graders. He frightens me and everything he does show the actions of a mentally ill, low intelligence, bad tempered child (sorry I have just insulted 5th graders and children everywhere. I am afraid for this nation and the world.

2. goodplans4you says:

Patricia M. Buckley you are on target. ……………………….. Since Meryl Streep has chosen to use her “star power” to look ridiculous in an attempt to support Hillary Clinton, I will use my voice and my “pocketbook power” to stop supporting Meryl. Hillary is plain evil in her behavior and she doesn’t care about America.

3. Patricia M.Buckley says:

No sympathy for Meryl and the top-notched ladies of The Academy, SAG-AFTRA, and Hooray for Hollywood! If they wanted equality , they should have supported their sisters and the ERA amendment. We really cannot afford to elect this woman,Madame X, at this time, Mr.T is what Republican America wants. That being said..let the economic resources of the stars in question
    ( Julia Louis-Dreyfuss is conservatively worth 3 billion) take on the task of perhaps saving another continent. I for one am keenly interested in asking God to save the USA….and the mud slinging doesn’t become y’all!

4. Michael O'Rourke says:

KATHARANE HEPBURN’s 1971 movie “THE TROGAN WOMEN” will convince you that TRUMP must be DEFEATED. VET

5. zoosk login says:

Why does Streep look like Sumner Redstone? OMG – TRUMP IS REDSTONE IS TRUMP! Run for the hills.

6. JackJ says:

Hey S. Westphal and EricJ As Rizzo said in “Grease” …”some people are so touchy..” It’s called political satire. And Meryl can support whomever she wants. And I’m sure she wouldn’t mind if you did the same. It’s called a democracy and she’s a big proponent of that. Get a thicker skin.

• S Westphal says:

Your argument is not with me, but the greatest actor to have graced Hollywood. Both Spencer’s quotes.
      Having consented in the sentiment; Actors know of their inflated-import in a dumbed-down electorate of tweeters believing ‘streaming’ keeps them informed and ‘connected’.
      Any tweeter of Je suis Charlie Hebdo thinking they were any part of this event are delusional.
      I prefer the challenge of a superior actor in his role of Col. Nathan R. Jessup, “…I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post…”

7. S Westphal says:

Why do actors think they’re so important? They’re not. Acting is not an important job in the scheme of things. Plumbing is.
    [on why actors should avoid political activism] Remember who shot Abraham Lincoln- Spencer Tracy

• Michael Dennis says:

I think Plumbing is a great profession. Ask The DON-ald what he thinks when he does not pay his plumbers for their finished product. Ref: USA TODAY

8. GKN says:

Thanks for the shaky upside films. As bad as learning that Streep supports Hitlary.

9. Jon Jon says:

Never have I seen the pompous, over-rated hack of an “actress” look so good……………..

10. EricJ says: