You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Disney Announces ‘Wreck-It Ralph’ Sequel

Wreck-It Ralph” is officially getting a sequel, Disney Animation annouced on Thursday morning.

The second installment of the animated hit will be directed by Rich Moore and Phil Johnston, with John C. Reilly returning to voice the titular lead character. The trio made the announcement via Facebook Live.

Reilly revealed that Ralph leaves the arcade world and wrecks the internet in the sequel, which will hit theaters on March 9, 2018.

Wreck-It Ralph” grossed more than $470 million in 2012 and received an Oscar nomination. Moore directed from a screenplay by Johnston and “Frozen” co-director Jennifer Lee based on a story by Moore, Johnston and Jim Reardon.

The movie took place in the game “Fix-It Felix, Jr.” The villain, Wreck-It Ralph, embarks on a journey to break his bad guy rep.

Moore had been developing the sequel while directing “Zootopia.”

“From the moment we started working on the first ‘Wreck-It Ralph,’ we knew there were so many possibilities with these characters,” Moore said. “This time, Ralph’s wrecking wreaks havoc on the Web — as only he can do. Characters we loved in the first film are back and we are ecstatic to be working with them — and the actors who voice them — once again.”

“The world of the internet is the perfect place to send Ralph and Vanellope,” Johnston said. “The scope and scale are so vast and the possibilities for comedy are endless.”

Reilly interrupted the Facebook Live announcement several times while looking for a cup of coffee.

“Ralph is a character very near and dear to my heart,” he said. “I’m really looking forward to playing the big lug again. Making the first ‘Wreck-It Ralph’ was one of the most special experiences I’ve ever had and I’m really looking forward to bringing him back to life. So many kids I’ve met all over the world are excited to see him again, too. They tell me all the time!”

Disney also announced Thursday that it had moved “Gigantic” out of the March 9, 2018, date now occupied by “Wreck-It Ralph 2.” Instead, “Gigantic,” which is loosely based on the fairy tale “Jack and the Beanstalk,” is scheduled to be released eight months later on Nov. 21, 2018.

More Film

  • Busan: ‘Gasoline’ fills up at Project

    Busan: ‘Gasoline’ Fills up at Project Market Awards

    “Wreck-It Ralph” is officially getting a sequel, Disney Animation annouced on Thursday morning. The second installment of the animated hit will be directed by Rich Moore and Phil Johnston, with John C. Reilly returning to voice the titular lead character. The trio made the announcement via Facebook Live. Reilly revealed that Ralph leaves the arcade […]

  • Nora Johnson Obit Dead

    Nora Johnson, Writer of 'The World of Henry Orient,' Dies at 84

    “Wreck-It Ralph” is officially getting a sequel, Disney Animation annouced on Thursday morning. The second installment of the animated hit will be directed by Rich Moore and Phil Johnston, with John C. Reilly returning to voice the titular lead character. The trio made the announcement via Facebook Live. Reilly revealed that Ralph leaves the arcade […]

  • Jack Gao: Wanda, Legendary Departure Was

    What Prompted Jack Gao's Departure From Wanda and Legendary?

    “Wreck-It Ralph” is officially getting a sequel, Disney Animation annouced on Thursday morning. The second installment of the animated hit will be directed by Rich Moore and Phil Johnston, with John C. Reilly returning to voice the titular lead character. The trio made the announcement via Facebook Live. Reilly revealed that Ralph leaves the arcade […]

  • Angelina Jolie gwyneth paltrow Harvey Weinstein

    Harvey Weinstein Firestorm Marks an Inflection Point for Entertainment

    “Wreck-It Ralph” is officially getting a sequel, Disney Animation annouced on Thursday morning. The second installment of the animated hit will be directed by Rich Moore and Phil Johnston, with John C. Reilly returning to voice the titular lead character. The trio made the announcement via Facebook Live. Reilly revealed that Ralph leaves the arcade […]

  • POLAND OUTMandatory Credit: Photo by Bartlomiej

    European Filmmakers and Producers Protest Sacking of Polish Film Institute Director

    “Wreck-It Ralph” is officially getting a sequel, Disney Animation annouced on Thursday morning. The second installment of the animated hit will be directed by Rich Moore and Phil Johnston, with John C. Reilly returning to voice the titular lead character. The trio made the announcement via Facebook Live. Reilly revealed that Ralph leaves the arcade […]

  • Tippi Hedren Alfred Hitchcock Sexual Harassment

    Casting-Couch Tactics Plagued Hollywood Long Before Harvey Weinstein

    “Wreck-It Ralph” is officially getting a sequel, Disney Animation annouced on Thursday morning. The second installment of the animated hit will be directed by Rich Moore and Phil Johnston, with John C. Reilly returning to voice the titular lead character. The trio made the announcement via Facebook Live. Reilly revealed that Ralph leaves the arcade […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content